Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

EA Sports,College Athletes Agree on Settlement of $40 Million....
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
EA Sports,College Athletes Agree on Settlement of $40 Million....
From the article:

An agreement in principle happened last September through Electronic Arts and the Collegiate Licensing Corporation, but issues held up the proposed settlement. The NCAA objected to their co-defendants leaving and the lawyers representing the three different classes of players couldn’t agree on the financial aspect.

In September of 2013, EA Sports announced that it’s college football series would be placed on hiatus with no new game coming in 2014 while EA hasn’t made a college basketball video game since NCAA Basketball 2010.

This is a landmark settlement as college athletes look like they’ll finally claim some money for their NCAA likenesses appearing in video games and it sets up an interesting court battle between O’Bannon and the NCAA in the upcoming antitrust lawsuit that is scheduled to begin on June 9th.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...0-million/
05-31-2014 12:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
RE: EA Sports,College Athletes Agree on Settlement of $40 Million....
Yup. The lawyers win another class action lawsuit. They get 1/3 of the settlement while the actual players will get less than $4k each with many getting under $100. Some victory for the players. And now, well the rest of us are out some of our favorite video games. So once again in a class action lawsuit, the lawyers win and everyone else loses.
05-31-2014 08:56 PM
Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OU & UCF
(05-31-2014 08:56 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Yup. The lawyers win another class action lawsuit. They get 1/3 of the settlement while the actual players will get less than $4k each with many getting under $100. Some victory for the players. And now, well the rest of us are out some of our favorite video games. So once again in a class action lawsuit, the lawyers win and everyone else loses.

Lawyers suck, amirite? 05-mafia
05-31-2014 09:23 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(05-31-2014 09:23 PM)Knightsweat Wrote:  
(05-31-2014 08:56 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Yup. The lawyers win another class action lawsuit. They get 1/3 of the settlement while the actual players will get less than $4k each with many getting under $100. Some victory for the players. And now, well the rest of us are out some of our favorite video games. So once again in a class action lawsuit, the lawyers win and everyone else loses.

They don't suck, just overpaid.
05-31-2014 09:27 PM
Advertisement

Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OU & UCF
(05-31-2014 09:27 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  
(05-31-2014 09:23 PM)Knightsweat Wrote:  

They don't suck, just overpaid.

Po Tay To, Po Ta To 07-coffee3
05-31-2014 10:47 PM
allthatyoucantleavebehind Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Penn State
Athletes who appeared in the video games will receive almost $2,000 if they file. Walk-ons and players on real rosters who were left out of the game will receive about $1,000. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...settlement

A bunch of bag men in the SEC might get to keep some of their spending money this month... http://www.sbnation.com/college-football...-interview
06-01-2014 06:20 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame

America....ya gotta love it!!!!
06-01-2014 08:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Hey thats found money for playing as an image of Your self and never breaking a sweat. What do You think Clones will get paid in the future if They ever happen?
06-02-2014 09:20 AM
LSUtah Offline
1st String

I Root For: LSU
At most, O'Bannon will pocket $4,000. I would have paid that myself to keep the EA annual installment of NCAA football.
06-02-2014 10:38 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Does this mean we'll get more NCAA games in the future?
06-02-2014 10:39 AM
Advertisement

stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
My hunch is that yes we will see more NCAA games in the future. Think it'll be much easier now quite frankly... Maybe even better as I think instead of having guys named QB #12, it'll be the actual name of the player. I'd kind of guess it'll be for the 2016 season but 2015 is possible.
06-02-2014 11:00 AM
LSUtah Offline
1st String

I Root For: LSU
I agree - if players could get paid directly for their likeness then it would be easier/better. The only other roadblock is that a lot of programs and conferences made public statements (prior to EA announcing they would not longer produce the game) that they would not allow use of their names/colors/fight songs, etc.

Of course, I sense yet another revenue stream...$$
06-02-2014 11:14 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

(06-02-2014 11:14 AM)LSUtah Wrote:  I agree - if players could get paid directly for their likeness then it would be easier/better. The only other roadblock is that a lot of programs and conferences made public statements (prior to EA announcing they would not longer produce the game) that they would not allow use of their names/colors/fight songs, etc.

Of course, I sense yet another revenue stream...$$

I think that was posturing. If $$$ can be made for it, it'll happen.
06-02-2014 12:30 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

just saw this:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...ay-players

Electronic Arts would have paid college football and men's basketball players for the use of their names, images and likenesses in NCAA video games if not for NCAA rules prohibiting such payments, lawyers for the Ed O'Bannon plaintiffs wrote in a court filing late Tuesday night.

In a brief outlining next week's trial in U.S. District Court in Oakland, the O'Bannon plaintiffs wrote they will provide “documentary evidence and testimony” from EA executive vice president of business and legal affairs Joel Linzner showing that although EA followed the NCAA's rules, “it nonetheless wanted to obtain the rights for more precise likenesses and the names of every college athlete on each roster, for which EA was willing to pay more to the NCAA and the college athletes themselves.”

The trial brief quotes then-NCAA president Myles Brand as saying in 2006, “[I]t is far from certain that the presidents will agree to providing names and [better] likenesses in video games. They may decide to leave the money on the table.”

The plaintiffs wrote “EA knew that consumers wanted those improvements to the video games, and increased sales would result. But the NCAA remained steadfast in its prohibition against sharing revenues with players and worried that any additional similarities between the athletes and the video games would further expose the fiction that the video game ‘avatars' did not represent real people.”
06-04-2014 01:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.