Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SEC is making threats about forming the Div 4 if they don't get their way
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
SEC is making threats about forming the Div 4 if they don't get their way
I'm almost to the point to say, F it. Let it go and let them figure out how to get a huge basketball NCAA tourney with only 65 available teams. They are already trying to cut us out of playing any games now so what is the difference? This is just an empty threat, IMO. Let them form the Div4 and we can just sue later.
05-30-2014 08:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
RE: SEC is making threats about forming the Div 4 if they don't get their way
(05-30-2014 08:25 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  I'm almost to the point to say, F it. Let it go and let them figure out how to get a huge basketball NCAA tourney with only 65 available teams. They are already trying to cut us out of playing any games now so what is the difference? This is just an empty threat, IMO. Let them form the Div4 and we can just sue later.

before its all said and done, alabama will be playing itself 15 times a year.
05-30-2014 08:46 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(05-30-2014 08:25 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  I'm almost to the point to say, F it. Let it go and let them figure out how to get a huge basketball NCAA tourney with only 65 available teams. They are already trying to cut us out of playing any games now so what is the difference? This is just an empty threat, IMO. Let them form the Div4 and we can just sue later.

If the P5 did form a "Division 4", I think we would still have a combined basketball tournament, the same one we have now. For practical purposes, it would apply only to football.

And what would we sue about?
05-31-2014 06:02 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

Let them bluff about leaving the NCAA because if they did, they would kiss good bye their tax exempt non profit status.

They will never leave the NCAA. They just want to control it the best they can.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 06:06 AM by KnightLight.)
05-31-2014 06:05 AM
Pirate1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePiratesofECU
Maybe everyone in college sports needs to tell the SEC to go F themselves.
05-31-2014 06:20 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(05-31-2014 06:20 AM)Pirate1 Wrote:  Maybe everyone in college sports needs to tell the SEC to go F themselves.

Can't prove it and never will be able to, but I suspect your tune would change radically if ECU got an SEC invite tomorrow.

Anyway, good luck finding other P5 that disagree with the SEC. And there's are the only voices that the SEC would pay attention to.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 06:26 AM by quo vadis.)
05-31-2014 06:25 AM
Advertisement

UConnFB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UConn
Their intent is clear, barring autonomy they will separate, and everyone else will become what the FCS is now. They are sick of sharing resources with a bunch of schools with $20 million dollar athletic budgets ... And less.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 08:23 AM by UConnFB.)
05-31-2014 08:22 AM
The Real LHS81 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
^^ Interesting. . . USF self agreeing with UConn self 07-coffee3.^^
05-31-2014 08:33 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Here is the part that they haven't thought out.
Let's take Alabama as a prime example since they are crying that no one will play them in 2015.
Since 2010 and including this year. Bama has had 20 non conference openings
5 are with 1AA teams
15 are at home only 1 vs a P5 school
2 were away vs Duke and Penn State
3 have been in " neutral" sites playing WV and VT in Atlanta and Michigan in Arlington

Now it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if they break out and not take the AAC or MWC with them the days of schools like Bama having 7 home games a year and 1 neutral site are over and done with.
This is big money that schools like Bama won't just throw away in order to separate themselves from the G5
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 08:48 AM by Cubanbull.)
05-31-2014 08:47 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(05-31-2014 08:33 AM)The Real LHS81 Wrote:  ^^ Interesting. . . USF self agreeing with UConn self 07-coffee3.^^

He does that all the time. He's a sick, sick man that needs help.
05-31-2014 08:56 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(05-31-2014 08:47 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Here is the part that they haven't thought out.
Let's take Alabama as a prime example since they are crying that no one will play them in 2015.
Since 2010 and including this year. Bama has had 20 non conference openings
5 are with 1AA teams
15 are at home only 1 vs a P5 school
2 were away vs Duke and Penn State
3 have been in " neutral" sites playing WV and VT in Atlanta and Michigan in Arlington

Now it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if they break out and not take the AAC or MWC with them the days of schools like Bama having 7 home games a year and 1 neutral site are over and done with.
This is big money that schools like Bama won't just throw away in order to separate themselves from the G5

I don't think they want to "separate" from the G5 in a total sense. They know that the 65 schools can't all play only each other.

But they have no reason to treat the AAC or MWC any different from the other G5.
05-31-2014 08:57 AM
Advertisement

UConnFB Offline
Special Teams

(05-31-2014 08:56 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  
(05-31-2014 08:33 AM)The Real LHS81 Wrote:  ^^ Interesting. . . USF self agreeing with UConn self 07-coffee3.^^

He does that all the time. He's a sick, sick man that needs help.

Why? Because my head isn't stuck in the sand like yours?
05-31-2014 09:01 AM
UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
(05-31-2014 08:47 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Now it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if they break out and not take the AAC or MWC with them the days of schools like Bama having 7 home games a year and 1 neutral site are over and done with.

Why would they be over and done with? Couldn't the P5 simply create a rule that allowed them to schedule up left behind G5 schools similar to how current FBS teams schedule FCS teams? Even if the AAC and MWC schools turned down $1 million paydays for one-and-done games out of spite, I'm sure schools in the Sun Belt, MAC, and C-USA would be more than happy to continue cashing those checks.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 09:02 AM by UofLgrad07.)
05-31-2014 09:01 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(05-31-2014 09:01 AM)UofLgrad07 Wrote:  
(05-31-2014 08:47 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Now it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if they break out and not take the AAC or MWC with them the days of schools like Bama having 7 home games a year and 1 neutral site are over and done with.

Why would they be over and done with? Couldn't the P5 simply create a rule that allowed them to schedule up left behind G5 schools similar to how current FBS teams schedule FCS teams? Even if the AAC and MWC schools turned down $1 million paydays for one-and-done games out of spite, I'm sure schools in the Sun Belt, MAC, and C-USA would be more than happy to continue cashing those checks.

Well of you hear Saban and others what they are proposing is breaking up and only playing each other.

Here is a quick recap from 2010-2014 seasons looking at Bama,LSU,Florida,OSU and Michigan.
100 non conference games in that 5 year period
79 have been at their home. 18 vs FCS, 18 vs P5 and 48 vs G5
8 at neutral sites
13 away games.

Now supposedly those 5 raise anywhere from 6-8 million per home game, so you can see why the lets break up and play each other will not fly.
05-31-2014 09:14 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Well the other part that you are ignoring is that if they split from the G5 and the G5 establishes their own playoffs they could also pass their own laws to prevent schools from playing the P5. Remember this is a tug of war with the P5 and NCAA so it's not as simple as any G5 school choosing to keep playing the P5 there could be consequences for that if it comes down to a nasty split between the two groups
05-31-2014 09:19 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(05-31-2014 09:19 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  

Well the other part that you are ignoring is that if they split from the G5 and the G5 establishes their own playoffs they could also pass their own laws to prevent schools from playing the P5.

Does Division III have any rules saying their schools can't play Division II?

Good luck trying to keep, e.g., FIU from accepting $1 million to play a game at Auburn. Nobody in the G5 would agree to that. And Slive is talking about forming a Division 4 within the NCAA, not outside of it.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 09:30 AM by quo vadis.)
05-31-2014 09:27 AM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(05-31-2014 09:27 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Well the other part that you are ignoring is that if they split from the G5 and the G5 establishes their own playoffs they could also pass their own laws to prevent schools from playing the P5.

Good luck trying to keep, e.g., FIU from accepting $1 million to play a game at Auburn. Nobody in the G5 would agree to that.

The reality is that neither you nor I know how far they would go. Right now it's all threats so nothing stops similar ones coming from the other side. How many NCAA football schools play nonNCAA schools?

All I'm saying as I have shown above that good luck in telling Bama and the rest Of the real big boys that they will only play P5 schools
05-31-2014 09:31 AM
USFRamenu Away
Enthusiast

I Root For: South Florida
This is just smoke. The SEC is one of the biggest offenders when it comes to playing cupcakes. So any BS about them playing strictly P5 teams is just that BS. 04-cheers
05-31-2014 09:44 AM
UConnFB Offline
Special Teams

(05-31-2014 09:31 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  
(05-31-2014 09:27 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Good luck trying to keep, e.g., FIU from accepting $1 million to play a game at Auburn. Nobody in the G5 would agree to that.

The reality is that neither you nor I know how far they would go. Right now it's all threats so nothing stops similar ones coming from the other side. How many NCAA football schools play nonNCAA schools?

All I'm saying as I have shown above that good luck in telling Bama and the rest Of the real big boys that they will only play P5 schools

The reality is that we know what their intent is, what we are not certain of is how and when.

What I do understand is that they cannot create a Division 4 and make it exclusive based upon conference. So in terms of the AAC Division 4 may be our best bet at continuing to compete at the highest level. Our TV money will still be peanuts, but at least we won't be the new FCS.

And let's be honest with ourselves, look at some of he programs in FBS, how many of those 125-6 programs are really FBS caliber?
05-31-2014 09:45 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Correct which is why I'm saying that IF there is Division 4 split the AAC and maybe the MWC will come along, specially if BOTH those conferences agree to pay the players just like the P5
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 09:49 AM by Cubanbull.)
05-31-2014 09:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.