Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is it time to start boycotting the p5?
BulldogNation Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: MWC, FS
Is it time to start boycotting the p5?
even if they don't break away, i've had enough of their $hit this offseason.
not watching anymore p5 vs p5 games until there is a true national champion.
anyone else going to join me?
05-30-2014 02:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
RE: Is it time to start boycotting the p5?
(05-30-2014 02:44 PM)BulldogNation Wrote:  even if they don't break away, i've had enough of their $hit this offseason.

Let's not get carried away. Hopefully all the P5 is not as tyrannical as the saber-rattlers at the top appear to be. Things are still in the negotiating phase.
05-30-2014 02:49 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(05-30-2014 02:44 PM)BulldogNation Wrote:  even if they don't break away, i've had enough of their $hit this offseason.

I don't watch them anymore, haven't for a year or two now.

For now the G5 ought to be looking at how to deal with their legitimate issues and help them solve their problems without further widening the gaps or further eroding competitiveness.

But if it comes to "my way (forever) or the highway" then we need leaders to step up and start looking down that highway and figuring out how we are going to market, sell, and manage, improve, and expand our product on our own terms without them....in all sports.
05-30-2014 06:14 PM
buffdog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Fresno State/CU
The first thing to do is to expand March Madness to another round, then make sure that that the P5 receives a max of 32 bids with the additional bids going to the rest of D1A. With the P5 only having about 20% of the D1A basketball votes, it should be a no brainer.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2014 06:28 PM by buffdog.)
05-30-2014 06:27 PM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
I rarely watch P5 vs P5 games in the first place but I doubt this will catch on.

The real boycott should be to avoid playing teams with outspoken coaches who are anti-G5. If Saban wants to keep mouthing, then by all means, please play a P5 only schedule. I'll be happy to continue our relationship with VT and others.
05-30-2014 06:32 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
History lesson.....if you go back to the 80's the power base in college football was B1G/PAC, CFA (SEC, ACC, B8, SWC, WAC, Southern/Eastern Independents) and MAC/Big West

Only the MAC and Big West were not included among the major conferences. They couldn't do anything but man up and accept their fate, especially the MAC which only had 9 schools in it during the late 80's and none of the weight rooms and practice facilities that you see today. Collectively it was about 18 schools with an average of 18,000 seats.

When the BCS era began, the conferences left out were the WAC, CUSA and MAC with a few southern independents floating around. This is when traditional major schools started to get screwed. Total of about 40 schools all said.

Today its a group of 5 conferences (AAC, MAC, CUSA, SBC, MWC) that sit outside the P5. A group of 61 schools that have big time facilities and name recognition for many cases in football.

For the first time you have a national group of G5 schools out there and not just representation in a couple of regions. The G5 started working together for the playoff deal, then the bowls. The next step is to work together for a coast-2-coast TV deal and pull an AFL move on the P5.
05-30-2014 06:35 PM
Advertisement

jml2010 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tx Tech & UNT

03-yawn03-zzz
05-30-2014 06:40 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(05-30-2014 06:35 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  History lesson.....if you go back to the 80's the power base in college football was B1G/PAC, CFA (SEC, ACC, B8, SWC, WAC, Southern/Eastern Independents) and MAC/Big West

Only the MAC and Big West were not included among the major conferences. They couldn't do anything but man up and accept their fate, especially the MAC which only had 9 schools in it during the late 80's and none of the weight rooms and practice facilities that you see today. Collectively it was about 18 schools with an average of 18,000 seats.

When the BCS era began, the conferences left out were the WAC, CUSA and MAC with a few southern independents floating around. This is when traditional major schools started to get screwed. Total of about 40 schools all said.

Today its a group of 5 conferences (AAC, MAC, CUSA, SBC, MWC) that sit outside the P5. A group of 61 schools that have big time facilities and name recognition for many cases in football.

For the first time you have a national group of G5 schools out there and not just representation in a couple of regions. The G5 started working together for the playoff deal, then the bowls. The next step is to work together for a coast-2-coast TV deal and pull an AFL move on the P5.

The problem with trying to "pull an AFL move" is that the schools can't just have a rival draft and throw huge contracts at marquee players. They still have to recruit their players. And the reasons those players are currently choosing P5 schools are still going to be there in the future.
05-30-2014 07:08 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-30-2014 07:08 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(05-30-2014 06:35 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  History lesson.....if you go back to the 80's the power base in college football was B1G/PAC, CFA (SEC, ACC, B8, SWC, WAC, Southern/Eastern Independents) and MAC/Big West

The problem with trying to "pull an AFL move" is that the schools can't just have a rival draft and throw huge contracts at marquee players. They still have to recruit their players. And the reasons those players are currently choosing P5 schools are still going to be there in the future.

You can't keep up with paying for every athlete, but maybe G5 offers $100,000 signing bonus to any Top 100 ranked recruit who signs with a G5 school. Relatively inexpensive. Not all would take it. But might pull in some players of interest. The P5 would at least have to respond.

Don't know if it would work, but you would have to think out of the box to cause them problems and make a competing league.
05-30-2014 07:19 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
IMO te P5's biggest problem is going to be the NFL. The closer to being a pro league they become the more likely the NFL is to take them on. The NFL did it to the AFL, WFL, XFL and to some extent might do it to the CFL if Buffalo starts playing games in Toronto.

The NFL has already taken Thursday nights from college football and if enough money is there the NFL would jump to Saturdays too. The NFL doesn't like competition from other pro football leagues.
05-30-2014 07:27 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
Go for it. 07-coffee3
05-30-2014 07:45 PM
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
(05-30-2014 07:45 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Go for it. 07-coffee3

Agreed.
05-31-2014 09:09 AM
Carolina Stang Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
The SEC has ruined college football. At this point, I would honestly prefer a Div 4 so I can completely ignore it. No Cinderellas. No underdogs.

SEC won't be happy until it is Alabama vs LSU and Auburn vs Florida in the playoffs.

You fans from smaller, weaker P5 football teams better watch out. You'll be squeezed next. Good luck Wake Forest. Good luck WSU. Good luck Kansas. Perpetual 2-10 records sound good to you??
05-31-2014 10:40 AM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
Go ahead and boycott the P5. It would take some drastic measures to shift the balance from P5 to G5. The ratio of flagship schools in the P5 compared to the G5 make it nearly impossible for the G5 to make any headway in fan allegiance and following. Just the sheer amount of alumni graduating from the P5 schools is pumping out a wider gap every year. The G5 needs to be a G8 or so without losing any current members to the P5 in the future if it wants to start closing the gap. Doing this should help convert the t-shirt fans which will help increase revenues and exposure. But the G5 has to work together. I don't think the G5 has much of a chance but I suppose there is a chance.
05-31-2014 11:17 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-31-2014 11:17 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  Go ahead and boycott the P5. It would take some drastic measures to shift the balance from P5 to G5. The ratio of flagship schools in the P5 compared to the G5 make it nearly impossible for the G5 to make any headway in fan allegiance and following. Just the sheer amount of alumni graduating from the P5 schools is pumping out a wider gap every year. The G5 needs to be a G8 or so without losing any current members to the P5 in the future if it wants to start closing the gap. Doing this should help convert the t-shirt fans which will help increase revenues and exposure. But the G5 has to work together. I don't think the G5 has much of a chance but I suppose there is a chance.

G5 is in a lot of markets now, something they didn't have in the past.

They should pool resources for a national TV package, perhaps limited to 15 slots a conference with a Mid Week option. Then everyone can have secondary conference TV contracts for football on top of that.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 11:28 AM by Kittonhead.)
05-31-2014 11:21 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-30-2014 07:19 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

You can't keep up with paying for every athlete, but maybe G5 offers $100,000 signing bonus to any Top 100 ranked recruit who signs with a G5 school. Relatively inexpensive. Not all would take it. But might pull in some players of interest. The P5 would at least have to respond.

Don't know if it would work, but you would have to think out of the box to cause them problems and make a competing league.

We know that whatever package the P5 passes will be geared exclusively around preventing law suits, with a slight stipend thrown in. The P5 doesn't want to give athletes anything more than they have to.

What is to say the G5 can't go above and beyond in a couple of areas? Or go the route of offering less stipend that isn't based on the cost of living since most of the G5 is located in small markets but instead out do the P5 on insurance.

It will be like the old G5 pitch saying yes we don't have the 60,000 seat stadium but we do have the IPF. The G5 doesn't have to implement a COLA stipend to keep up with USC and Northwestern. Sucks for SJSU and SDSU but they don't have the pull to force the MWC to accept COLA.
05-31-2014 11:28 AM
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
(05-31-2014 11:28 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

We know that whatever package the P5 passes will be geared exclusively around preventing law suits, with a slight stipend thrown in. The P5 doesn't want to give athletes anything more than they have to.

What is to say the G5 can't go above and beyond in a couple of areas? Or go the route of offering less stipend that isn't based on the cost of living since most of the G5 is located in small markets but instead out do the P5 on insurance.

It will be like the old G5 pitch saying yes we don't have the 60,000 seat stadium but we do have the IPF. The G5 doesn't have to implement a COLA stipend to keep up with USC and Northwestern. Sucks for SJSU and SDSU but they don't have the pull to force the MWC to accept COLA.

If G5 pays athletes more than the P5, the athletes may start choosing the G5. However, they still wouldn't get the exposure, coaching, and national championship benefits that they would/could get at a P5 school. And the P5 could choose to offer as much money as the G5 anyway.
05-31-2014 11:34 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-31-2014 11:17 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  It would take some drastic measures to shift the balance from P5 to G5.

It's not about shifting the balance from P5 to G5. Because that is NEVER going to happen.

But what can happen is that G5 makes more money than it does now and gets more market share and exposure than it does now.

Walgreens is never going to overpower Wal-Mart. But they have done a good job of turning their inevitable death into a nice niche market that Wal-Mart has had to react to.

Of course if the G5 aren't united, have no leadership, and don't do it right. Then they end up being Sears or Circuit City.
05-31-2014 11:39 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-31-2014 11:34 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  
(05-31-2014 11:28 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

If G5 pays athletes more than the P5, the athletes may start choosing the G5. However, they still wouldn't get the exposure, coaching, and national championship benefits that they would/could get at a P5 school. And the P5 could choose to offer as much money as the G5 anyway.

I don't know if going the direction of a bidding war is the right way to go for the G5 but what they could offer is a set of different benefits than what the P5 will agree to that cost those universities less than a COLA stipend but would interest a lot of student athletes.

Think of employer benefit packages. Does anyone change companies just for the benefits? That is pretty rare but a better benefit package usually helps to retain employees. This is just the way I'm thinking about it because I know the MWC/MAC position is a 4,000 dollar stipend across the board without COLA.
05-31-2014 11:45 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
LOL at the suggestion
05-31-2014 12:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.