Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who do you disagree with politically or religiously, but...
EpicNiner Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
Who do you disagree with politically or religiously, but...
...still get along with or, for celebrities/public figures, enjoy their work.

Just wondering since most people on this forum are so antagonistic toward others they disagree with. I know, or hope, most of you can't be this way in real life. I'll start with a few examples from my life:

My gf - We almost completely agree politically but don't religiously. She is Christian and I am atheist. She doesn't go to church or make it a huge part of her life but does believe in the Christian God, Heaven, Hell, etc. This helped her immensely through her mother's death last year (God's plan). Her family is much more religious than she is but I still get along with them for the most part (probably because she won't let me tell them that I'm atheist).

One of my best friends - He is Libertarian and Christian (like my gf, his faith isn't a huge part of his life). He is very liberal when it comes to social issues (so we agree there) and very fiscally conservative (our debates have actually made me more fiscally conservative). The biggest thing we disagree on is guns. I think there should be restrictions and regulations but he thinks there should be none. His favorite answer to the question "Why is a gun like that needed?" is "Why not?"

Skillet - Skillet is one of my favorite bands and a Christian rock band. I discovered them on Pandora and love just about all their songs. Their songs aren't overtly religious but there are definitely religious undertones in most songs. I went to their concert last summer and halfway through the set the lead singer stopped to thank his savior Jesus Christ.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to see if everyone's experiences outside this forum were like mine where you can realize that you don't necessarily agree with someone but still enjoy their company.
05-30-2014 12:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
RE: Who do you disagree with politically or religiously, but...
I have coworker that is really really liberal. We get along great.
05-30-2014 12:04 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I make it a point not to pay attention to what celebrities do when they're not doing what I paid to see them do.

As far as everyday people, I get along with lots of people I don't agree with about a myriad of issues.

I bet most people here do. You kinda have to, unless you're on a compound in Idaho, I suppose.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2014 12:07 PM by Smaug.)
05-30-2014 12:06 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Celebrity is Roseanne Barr. Far left wing nut and shameful rendition of the Star Spangled Banner, but her sitcom was hilarious.
Music would be the Grateful Dead.
I have plenty of leftist friends, including a slew of black Obama idolizers. I just keep politics out of the conversation.
05-30-2014 12:07 PM
Doctor Krieger Offline
1st String

I Root For: :)
Nah, I don't hold political differences against anyone...the only exception is if they are all up in your face with their opinions.
05-30-2014 12:07 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(05-30-2014 12:06 PM)Smaug Wrote:  I make it a point not to pay attention to what celebrities do when they're not doing what I paid to see them do.

As far as everyday people, I get along with lots of people I don't agree with about a myriad of issues.

I bet most people here do. You kinda have to, unless you're on a compound in Idaho, I suppose.

Elton John is a good one. My wife was shocked when I told her I'd go to his concert this summer if she could find tickets.
05-30-2014 12:08 PM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

Elton John's great. I stopped liking him when he went all Disney, but his old stuff still holds up.

I'm also a big Queen fan. Nobody sounded like them. Nobody.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2014 12:10 PM by Smaug.)
05-30-2014 12:10 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I'm pretty outside the American political spectrum so I agree entirely, or very closely, with just about nobody on a political level. I don't have religious disagreements really because I keep that stuff fairly close to the vest.

I'm socially conservative but economically slightly left.
05-30-2014 12:11 PM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables
Tom Hanks. Love his acting, despise his politics.

Two friends in New York. One supports Obama in every way possible, one I THINK does, but we all stay off of political ideals while conversating.

I have many friends that don't care for God, and many that do. We all stay on our own paths and it never gets brought up.

I dated a liberal gal in 2010 for one month. Three and a half weeks into our relationship I found out she was liberal. I'll never live my personal life with someone like that, just can't bring myself to do it. Though I will admit that she considers herself a "socialite" and may have just been supporting what she thought was more popular at that time. She asked me once, why I pounded her like a jackhammer, and asked if I thought she was just some kind of "business f*ck," whatever that means.
05-30-2014 12:23 PM
mathenis89 Offline
Sucks at NCAA Football 14

I Root For: WKU, Miami, OSU
Re: RE: Who do you disagree with politically or religiously, but...
(05-30-2014 12:23 PM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  Tom Hanks. Love his acting, despise his politics.

Two friends in New York. One supports Obama in every way possible, one I THINK does, but we all stay off of political ideals while conversating.

I have many friends that don't care for God, and many that do. We all stay on our own paths and it never gets brought up.

I dated a liberal gal in 2010 for one month. Three and a half weeks into our relationship I found out she was liberal. I'll never live my personal life with someone like that, just can't bring myself to do it. Though I will admit that she considers herself a "socialite" and may have just been supporting what she thought was more popular at that time. She asked me once, why I pounded her like a jackhammer, and asked if I thought she was just some kind of "business f*ck," whatever that means.

That happened.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
05-30-2014 12:47 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
I don't get along with anyone who would be considered extreme right or left because they are just too irrational to me.

My wife and brother are what I would call old fashioned Conservative. We get along fine.

Conservative Celebrities?

I don't think I know of any.
05-30-2014 12:53 PM
Advertisement

LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables
(05-30-2014 12:47 PM)mathenis89 Wrote:  
(05-30-2014 12:23 PM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  Tom Hanks. Love his acting, despise his politics.

That happened.

This thread title is "Who do you disagree with politically or religiously, but...
...still get along with or, for celebrities/public figures, enjoy their work."

Can you at least add something of your own or do you have to keep tugging on my coattail to try and get a rise out of me?
05-30-2014 12:54 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
My wife. She was pretty close to an in your face, finger jabbing liberal when we met. She stills holds onto some of the "core" stuff, but I've done some masterful work on much of it.

One of my best friends for 25+ years is a big Gov't, big lefty lib, almost to the point of being a collectivist. His parents were missionaries and he grew up overseas in that environment. BIG social justice types, redistribution, etc.

We have some of the funnest and funniest "round" table discussions between volleyball games at our local club or over beers when out or whatever. We can entertain an entire room.
05-30-2014 01:24 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
As far as celebrities that hold different viewpoints and try to bring me to their side of the equation I try not to watch or pay good money to see them. Unfortunately, like I said, try, because sometimes they're in a movie that has a good story. You can't really help it sometimes as Un-Holywood is a basket case. Tom Hanks for instance, I hate his ideology but love his acting. On TV I WILL NOT watch a gay-centric program. Like Smaug said I use the remote but not to off but to channel search. I find nothing worthwhile about this programs.

As for friends. My neighbor is very conservative and his wife is semi-liberal but I think it's because they don't know what really is in the Bible as to their thinking. They're both staunch Catholics and do not know the Bible as I didn't either when I was one. Pretty much most of the people I hang with are Lefties and we don't get into discussions because it's not worth it. Like here no one will change their thinking no matter what but it's something to do (posting) during the summer. I know I couldn't and wouldn't be friends with the Lefties on this board, they're over the top for me, too perverted. Nut-jobs is a better word.
05-30-2014 01:38 PM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
Samuel L Jackson is a falcons fan but I guess hes a good actor *grumblegrumble*
05-30-2014 01:39 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
I didn't vote for Obama in either of the last 2 elections. Other than my Dad, not a single person that is important in my life - my wife, my family, my best friends, and my co-workers - agreed with me on that front. I'm basically at the point where I can count on one hand the number of Republicans that I know that I'm close to, and even they are generally more like me as being libertarian (fiscally conservative and socially liberal) in terms of political philosophy. So, I basically don't discuss politics with anyone other than my wife (and even then, that's generally a bad idea if I want to stay out of the doghouse) outside of my complaints about the hardcore conservative GOP base regarding social issues.

In essence, I have to live with people that disagree with me or else I'd basically have no personal relationships in my life (along with not being able to watch any of my favorite TV programs and movies, listening to my favorite music, watch most of my favorite athletes, etc.).
05-30-2014 01:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
I love(d) Jim Carrey movies, but lost all respect for him after the Charlton Heston spoof.

Same with Mark Wahlberg. Was one of my favorite actors, but lost all respect when he basically hung Marcus Luttrell out to dry and agreed with some absolutely deplorable statments by Jake Tapper.

Pisses me off to see this armchair general push his political spin onto the guy that was actually in the trenches and went through hell and back, and then has the nerve to say, "He doesn't mean to disrepect". Then Walhberg, "Absolutely. I completely agree, but you're not going to change his mind". I mean, really?

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2014 02:09 PM by Kronke.)
05-30-2014 01:59 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

That's why I make it a point to not pay any attention to celebrities when they're not doing what I paid them to do.

Like Alice Cooper said, "Why would you take a rock star's opinion on anything that isn't music seriously? It's the only thing we're good at! We sucked in school, we sleep late, we don't read the news. All we know is music. Ask us about that and you might get an informed opinion. Otherwise, forget it."

That might not be verbatim, but that was the gist.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2014 02:04 PM by Smaug.)
05-30-2014 02:04 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
Many of my good friends are liberals but none of us use political viewpoints to decide who are their friends. One of my long time best friends whom I thought was a big lib (because we never talked politics) is actually pretty conservative, which was a shock to me.

As long as people are honest and straight forward in their dealings with me, their politics don't matter a lot to me. If they are good people, that's what matters. Life is too short to not get to know good people and create a circle of friends all because your world views are not in sync.
05-30-2014 02:12 PM
mathenis89 Offline
Sucks at NCAA Football 14

I Root For: WKU, Miami, OSU
(05-30-2014 12:54 PM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  
(05-30-2014 12:47 PM)mathenis89 Wrote:  

That happened.

This thread title is "Who do you disagree with politically or religiously, but...
...still get along with or, for celebrities/public figures, enjoy their work."

Can you at least add something of your own or do you have to keep tugging on my coattail to try and get a rise out of me?

A made up story is "contributing"?
05-30-2014 04:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.