Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Any info on if the Army Navy game date will be moved starting next year
Bleeds_Purple Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina!
Any info on if the Army Navy game date will be moved starting next year
Right now it's the weekend after championship weekend.
05-29-2014 05:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
RE: Any info on if the Army Navy game date will be moved starting next year
why would it be moved?

it doesn't affect our championship
05-29-2014 05:54 PM
Bleeds_Purple Offline
All American

(05-29-2014 05:54 PM)pesik Wrote:  why would it be moved?

If Navy were to win their division then win the championship game would you want them to have a game left? How would it look if they lost to Army the next week after they just won the AAC? What if they're in the running for the access bowl but with a game left? Selections are done championship weekend for all bowls. What if they are sitting at 5-6 and need a win for bowl eligibility? That could hold things up for much of the league with bowl selections.
05-29-2014 06:31 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
(05-29-2014 06:31 PM)Bleeds_Purple Wrote:  

If Navy were to win their division then win the championship game would you want them to have a game left? How would it look if they lost to Army the next week after they just won the AAC? What if they're in the running for the access bowl but with a game left? Selections are done championship weekend for all bowls. What if they are sitting at 5-6 and need a win for bowl eligibility? That could hold things up for much of the league with bowl selections.

who cares, playing it on dead weak will be one of our biggest assets (the only game on) when its time for tv renegotiations, it honestly doesnt bother me how it looks or any unforseen circumstances

hell having the game played with system implications will actually even increase the ratings.. i hope that happens (but navy winning)
05-29-2014 06:40 PM
Advertisement

Bleeds_Purple Offline
All American

I say go the other way with the game. Make it the first game of the year every year the Saturday before everyone else kicks-off. It would be the only game in town and people are starving for college football. This year it would be on Aug 23.
05-29-2014 06:52 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown

I thought Navy made it clear when they joined that they weren't changing any aspect of the Army game to accommodate the AAC.

You seem to think that the AAC will be able to "go the other way" with the game, as if the scheduling of Army-Navy will be at the whim of our conference. I seriously doubt that.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 06:56 PM by quo vadis.)
05-29-2014 06:54 PM
Bleeds_Purple Offline
All American

(05-29-2014 06:54 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

I thought Navy made it clear when they joined that they weren't changing any aspect of the Army game to accommodate the AAC.
If they did then that's that.
05-29-2014 06:57 PM
Advertisement

Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OU & UCF

Thought the same. Or is that only applicable through the duration of Army/Navy's contract with CBS?
05-29-2014 06:57 PM
PirateJP Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU; Charlotte
Army/Navy needs to be played on Veterans Day every year.
05-29-2014 08:04 PM
ENCPir87769 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU & AAC
Re: RE: Any info on if the Army Navy game date will be moved starting next year
(05-29-2014 06:52 PM)Bleeds_Purple Wrote:  I say go the other way with the game. Make it the first game of the year every year the Saturday before everyone else kicks-off. It would be the only game in town and people are starving for college football. This year it would be on Aug 23.

I like this idea! Bleeds hit it on the head, pointing out how FOOTBALL-STARVED most people are by the time the season rolls around! And I imagine it would put a little extra emphasis on fall camp, too! This model works for NASCAR, with the Daytona 500 starting off every season! I can't think of a better way to "kickoff" football season than the pagentry of the Army/Navy game. I would be glued to the TV, and to a case of Cold Pirate Beverages!

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
05-29-2014 08:04 PM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(05-29-2014 08:04 PM)ENCPir87769 Wrote:  
(05-29-2014 06:52 PM)Bleeds_Purple Wrote:  I say go the other way with the game. Make it the first game of the year every year the Saturday before everyone else kicks-off. It would be the only game in town and people are starving for college football. This year it would be on Aug 23.

I like this idea! Bleeds hit it on the head, pointing out how FOOTBALL-STARVED most people are by the time the season rolls around! And I imagine it would put a little extra emphasis on fall camp, too! This model works for NASCAR, with the Daytona 500 starting off every season! I can't think of a better way to "kickoff" football season than the pagentry of the Army/Navy game. I would be glued to the TV, and to a case of Cold Pirate Beverages!

Ha ha, I was watching XFL games on youtube today, that's how starved I am. Imagine how bad I'll be come mid August.
05-29-2014 10:09 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(05-29-2014 06:57 PM)Knightsweat Wrote:  

Thought the same. Or is that only applicable through the duration of Army/Navy's contract with CBS?

I think you are correct. But, i didn't interpret that to mean Navy will be willing to make changes once the contract is up (they'd still have to get Army to go along with any), only that they definitely would not change anything at least until then.

IIRC, the Army-Navy CBS contract runs through 2018, the first four years Navy is in the AAC.

Also unaffected by Navy joining the AAC is their Notre Dame contract. Navy's home games with Notre Dame will be on CBS in 2016 with an option for 2018 (my wild guess is CBS will exercise that option). So those games fall outside of our TV deal as well, as do all other Navy home games through 2017 (those rights are held by CBSSN).

One pertinent point about what will happen after 2018 might be this comment by Navy AD Gladchuk:

“Basically, our deal with the Big East stated that under no circumstances would Navy lose ground in terms of television revenue or exposure,” Gladchuk said.

Our ESPN contract has plenty of exposure, but Navy gets paid $2.5 million for Army alone (more than what AAC schools get paid for everything, football and basketball), and that number is expected to double when the contract goes up for renewal (Forbes has called the Army-Navy contract among the most "undervalued" in sports).

So it will be incumbent on Aresco to be able to get a new deal that will keep Navy at least at that level of TV revenue if we want the Army-Navy game in the AAC fold.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2014 05:38 AM by quo vadis.)
05-30-2014 05:23 AM
ENCPir87769 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU & AAC
Re: RE:
(08-28-2004 11:05 AM)lauramac Wrote:  
uhmump95 Wrote:Tic Toc Tic Toc .....

That is the times ticking down to when Houston starts kicking your butts.....
That ain't no clock... that's the BOMB the Owls are gonna drop on the Coogs. Ka-boom. 04-nuke

I KNOW THE FEELING! I've been watching any ECU highlights I could find!

05-30-2014 06:05 AM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(05-29-2014 08:04 PM)PirateJP Wrote:  Army/Navy needs to be played on Veterans Day every year.

That is a great idea. Hope it happens.
05-30-2014 11:19 AM
PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American
(05-30-2014 05:23 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(05-29-2014 06:57 PM)Knightsweat Wrote:  

I think you are correct. But, i didn't interpret that to mean Navy will be willing to make changes once the contract is up (they'd still have to get Army to go along with any), only that they definitely would not change anything at least until then.

IIRC, the Army-Navy CBS contract runs through 2018, the first four years Navy is in the AAC.

Also unaffected by Navy joining the AAC is their Notre Dame contract. Navy's home games with Notre Dame will be on CBS in 2016 with an option for 2018 (my wild guess is CBS will exercise that option). So those games fall outside of our TV deal as well, as do all other Navy home games through 2017 (those rights are held by CBSSN).

One pertinent point about what will happen after 2018 might be this comment by Navy AD Gladchuk:

“Basically, our deal with the Big East stated that under no circumstances would Navy lose ground in terms of television revenue or exposure,” Gladchuk said.

Our ESPN contract has plenty of exposure, but Navy gets paid $2.5 million for Army alone (more than what AAC schools get paid for everything, football and basketball), and that number is expected to double when the contract goes up for renewal (Forbes has called the Army-Navy contract among the most "undervalued" in sports).

So it will be incumbent on Aresco to be able to get a new deal that will keep Navy at least at that level of TV revenue if we want the Army-Navy game in the AAC fold.

This is why I think the media deal will go up substantially once Navy joins. They are arguably the most marketable brand with two games that are very valuable properties. None of this is included in our current deal. So if we get a bump for including navy and also a performance bump based on the look in I think we will be closer to 5 or 6 million range which will make navy revenue neutral. Does anyone have any idea what Navy gets for the Notre dame game?
05-30-2014 11:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.