Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The real origins of the religious right. Good Read.
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
The real origins of the religious right. Good Read.
05-29-2014 12:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: The real origins of the religious right. Good Read.
The only flaw i see in this, Mach.. The article claims that the evangelic wing came about because of Weyrich. Whereas later in the article there's a line in there where it states the evangelic arm didn't even make in-roads until Schaeffer stepped up.

Quote:Schaeffer, considered by many the intellectual godfather of the religious right, was not known for his political activism, but by the late 1970she decided that legalized abortion would lead inevitably to infanticide and euthanasia, and he was eager to sound the alarm.

I can see the debate that Roe v. Wade wasn't the initial driving point, but I'd dispute that it was the key foundation when the evangelic wing of the party came about.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 12:38 AM by DaSaintFan.)
05-29-2014 12:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Machiavelli Offline

The part that I found interesting was the rise of private schools when desegregation came about. We are fighting the ramifications of that today. Both sides have merit too. Public schools are being flipped on their heads because of these standardized tests trying to bring a certain level up to a certain speed.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 06:56 AM by Machiavelli.)
05-29-2014 06:53 AM
Machiavelli Offline

We had our state scores come back this week. 3 kids were below standard in all of my classes. Tops in my county and pretty high in the state. Every kid counts 2.27% for me. (Take that Bearcat Dale!) So just to show you the folly of this. One of the kids who didn't pass came into our district from Florida. A military school in Florida. He has a 2nd grade reading level. He ran away last year and lived in the Everglades for a couple of months on his own. An Indian tribe took him in. I'm not freaking kidding you. This is what public school teachers are dealing with. I also have a Down's kid in my class and two kids below an 80 IQ. You get to exempt 1 special ed kid a year for your ranking. I put the Downs kid on the inactive list in this rotation. I don't have the answers but I can tell you what we are dealing with today the teachers of yesterday would have striked over. They would have shut the system down.
05-29-2014 07:05 AM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(05-29-2014 06:53 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  The part that I found interesting was the rise of private schools when desegregation came about. We are fighting the ramifications of that today. Both sides have merit too. Public schools are being flipped on their heads because of these standardized tests trying to bring a certain level up to a certain speed.

The rise also came not too long after the advent of the dept of Ed...

[Image: correlation.png]
05-29-2014 07:30 AM
Machiavelli Offline

Cute cartoon.
05-29-2014 07:32 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(05-29-2014 12:36 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  The only flaw i see in this, Mach.. The article claims that the evangelic wing came about because of Weyrich. Whereas later in the article there's a line in there where it states the evangelic arm didn't even make in-roads until Schaeffer stepped up.

Yeah, this guy is playing fast and loose w/ the facts. See my comments to dmac about revisionist history.

Since I was actually there during this time period, I can say that that this article is flawed, and picked the data it wanted.

What really spurred the religious right was the rampant sexuality of the '60s, and consequent high divorce rates of the '70s. That's when Dobson really got solid traction, and he had a big influence on the anti-abortion movement. He also accidentally sparked the home-school movement (which up to then was a badge of leftist academics who didn't like the pro-US curriculum in the public schools).

Up until then the evangelicals had been wasting their time debating eschatology.

I'm a pretty big fan of Schaffer, and his work was also influential but had taken many years to percolate up through many of the eventual leaders. So again, this author's timeline is off when you dig deeper.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 08:07 AM by DrTorch.)
05-29-2014 08:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.