Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Next B1G Team to Add LAX
Bookmark and Share
Strut Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Sparty aka MSU
Next B1G Team to Add LAX
I'm pretty sure Michigan State had a LAX team when I was on campus, but we've since not fielded a team. What's the likelihood with a renewed focus on LAX by conference other Big Ten tens are added?

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
05-28-2014 09:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
RE: Next B1G Team to Add LAX
it is my understanding that MSU has title 9 in the way.
05-28-2014 11:26 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
Couldn't they just start up men's and women's LAX then together? The startup costs of doing both as opposed to one or the other are only marginally higher.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2014 11:54 AM by brista21.)
05-28-2014 11:53 AM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(05-28-2014 11:53 AM)brista21 Wrote:  Couldn't they just start up men's and women's LAX then together? The startup costs of doing both as opposed to one or the other are only marginally higher.

i dunno they should.

but TBH a strong lax program depends entirely on two things

1. your presence in the northeast

2. the lax popularity in your immediate area.

MSU has some northeast presence, but lets be real here, they play 4th fiddle to osu, michigan, & psu among b10 teams.

And I haven't heard a whole lot about East lansing lacrosse.

MSU is at a bigger competition disadvantage as opposed to the other schools.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2014 03:23 PM by john01992.)
05-28-2014 03:08 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(05-28-2014 11:53 AM)brista21 Wrote:  Couldn't they just start up men's and women's LAX then together? The startup costs of doing both as opposed to one or the other are only marginally higher.
They already play 12 men's sports, including five men's team sports, which is as many as any other Big Ten school except the three biggest budget schools (OSU, TSUN & Penn State).

That suggests if they had extra money to spend on men's sports, they'd be more likely to up their investment in their existing sports.

(05-28-2014 11:26 AM)john01992 Wrote:  it is my understanding that MSU has title 9 in the way.
Title IX is definitely why they dropped it as a Division 1 sport. I think you've pretty much pegged why they don't pick it up again.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2014 03:53 PM by BruceMcF.)
05-28-2014 03:50 PM
Advertisement

Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THE Ohio State
As the sport grows in the midwest, I could see Sparty, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Minnesota adding Lacrosse Programs for men and women. Have a hard time seeing Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Iowa, and Nebraska adding programs. Other than Lincoln, those are more bucolic areas I just can't see Lacrosse gaining traction, but maybe I'm wrong.
05-29-2014 10:51 PM
Hitch Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
My guess would be MSU or Northwestern.

MSU could see it as another connection with the rest of the B10 Eastern schools and a great way to interact with some other east coast universities that they otherwise wouldn't play in basketball or football. Many D1 lax programs are very strong universities.

Northwestern could build on the success of its women's program and also use it as a connection point for east coast universities (see above).
05-30-2014 06:41 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-29-2014 10:51 PM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  As the sport grows in the midwest, I could see Sparty, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Minnesota adding Lacrosse Programs for men and women.
There's also the influence of other sports that different schools focus on ~ MSU, Wisconsin and Minnesota all play ice hockey, and one of the way that the other schools stay up with the three big stadium schools is by focusing their resources.

If LAX continues to grow at its current pace in the Greater Chicago area, Northwestern would seem the likeliest prospect. The challenge is TitleIX, since it can't start a women's team at the same time (already having one).

Quote: Have a hard time seeing Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Iowa, and Nebraska adding programs. Other than Lincoln, those are more bucolic areas I just can't see Lacrosse gaining traction, but maybe I'm wrong.
There's an ice hockey angle in there as well, since Nebraska is building ice making facilities into its new arena, so when that is finished, would have a lower cost to start up a hockey program than most other schools. And we just saw Nebraska and Indiana as #1 v #2 seed playing in the Big Ten baseball championship in front of nearly 20,000 in Omaha ... Nebraska and Indiana might prefer to focus on baseball in any event.

Purdue looks to Chicago quite a bit, so if LAX continues to grow at the same pace in the greater Chicago area, they might consider it. And Notre Dame might give them a game in Lacrosse, which they seem likely to do less frequently in football.

And of course, there is no urgency to expansion ... six is a fine number for a Lacrosse conference.
05-30-2014 02:30 PM
Waterloo Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: State U of IOWA
Not Iowa.

If Iowa adds anything else, I'd LOVE to see men's hockey.
05-31-2014 11:10 AM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-31-2014 11:10 AM)Waterloo Wrote:  Not Iowa.

If Iowa adds anything else, I'd LOVE to see men's hockey.
They have similar facilities hurdles as most schools looking at D1 ice hockey, so it could hinge on getting a wealthy backer to pay for a big chunk of the facilities (like at Penn State) ...
... but if Nebraska started a conference ice hockey program, it would surely be attractive to Iowa to play in the same sport as the three other Western schools.

Plus with the development efforts of the pro ice hockey franchise in Iowa (I forget what level they play at ~ I don't really follow the sport unless my MAC alma mater is doing well), they would be likely to have a better local pipeline for talent in ice hockey than in Lacrosse.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 12:17 PM by BruceMcF.)
05-31-2014 12:14 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
Iowa Wild, Minnesota's AHL team

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
06-01-2014 01:57 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-01-2014 01:57 PM)DexterDevil Wrote:  Iowa Wild, Minnesota's AHL team
Man, I'll remember that just about until I get to the top of the stairs ... the only reason I follow MiamiU Redhawks ice hockey when they do well is there were some hockey players in our dorms at Western College when I went there ... they were studying architecture and the architecture program was using the Western College core courses for their University requirement.
06-01-2014 08:21 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Next B1G Team to Add LAX
Northwestern would need to add women's rowing (8 conference schools already counting incoming Rutgers) or women's water polo (Indiana, Michigan) to be able to add men's lacrosse. Sand volleyball or bowling (Nebraska is the only Big 10 school in both sports) could be options as well.
06-05-2014 09:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-05-2014 09:29 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  Northwestern would need to add women's rowing (8 conference schools already counting incoming Rutgers) or women's water polo (Indiana, Michigan) to be able to add men's lacrosse. Sand volleyball or bowling (Nebraska is the only Big 10 school in both sports) could be options as well.
I'd think rowing, since they have a small river running into a big (indeed, Great) lake, and they could row against the Ivy League.

Plus rowing allows up to 20 FTE scholarships, while Men's Lacrosse has a limit of 12.6, so rowing offers plenty of Title IX flexibility.

Six is a good size, but eight would be OK as well, a seven week conference season of four games per round and divide up for a rivalry week at the climax ~ UMd / JHU, Rutgers / Penn State, OSU / TSUN, NW / ???
06-05-2014 10:03 PM
Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU
NU adding Men's Lacrosse is only a matter of time. Women's Lacrosse has been hugely successful in Evanston. Adding women's Beach Volleyball and/or bowling to compensate for the increased men's Lacrosse scholarships would be the Title iX workaround. 04-cheers

Beach Volleyball and Bowling have a chance of drawing some fans, rowing and women's water polo not so much.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2014 09:35 AM by Policiious.)
06-07-2014 09:33 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-07-2014 09:33 AM)Policiious Wrote:  Beach Volleyball and Bowling have a chance of drawing some fans, rowing and women's water polo not so much.
Its a university ... its not only about drawing fans. I was serious about NW considering rowing against Ivy League schools as a possible plus.
06-07-2014 09:57 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Next B1G Team to Add LAX
Not to mention it is already a Big 10 sport. Adding sand volleyball or bowling really only helps Nebraska.
06-07-2014 10:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

And also, we haven't even played the first Big Ten conference game yet in the coming six team competition. Doubling in size with three new Lacrosse playing members isn't enough to take on for now?
06-08-2014 12:59 AM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
I don't foresee any additional members for the time being. However, if the Big Ten were to add a seventh lacrosse member (or sixth full-time member, depending on how you look at it) then I think it would be one from Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana or Illinois.
06-10-2014 02:07 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-10-2014 02:07 AM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  I don't foresee any additional members for the time being. However, if the Big Ten were to add a seventh lacrosse member (or sixth full-time member, depending on how you look at it) then I think it would be one from Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana or Illinois.
Since the existing six make a good three pairs for a conference season ending rivalry weekend, it seems like the best pair might be NW & the Illini.

I think Indiana is going to keep concentrating on baseball in the Spring, but NW & Purdue seems like the second most likely pair. Either the Illini or Purdue could start Men & Women's at the same time, for Title IX, but like NW it would seem likely to depend on what happens with conference revenues, as either only seem likely to start it up if they cover the operating costs out of growth in conference payout and only need to go to donors for the facilities improvements.

I don't see that the conference would be eager to have seven in the men's competition, but since NW plays in the new Women's competition, that would leave the Maryland women's team looking for an OOC rival during rivalry weekend. OTOH, while Title IX can be binding on the Men's Lacrosse side, it can be a boost on the Women's Lacrosse side ... if UNL were to start an ice hockey program (they have ice making facilities in their new arena), then they'd need a Title IX offset, and a single ice hockey team can be easier to find ice practice facilities for than a pair.
06-10-2014 03:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.