Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SEC Men's Basketball Tournament to be also in Saint Louis & Tampa....
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
From the article:

DESTIN, Fla. -- The Southeastern Conference has selected St. Louis and Tampa to host its men's basketball tournament.

St. Louis will get the postseason event in 2018, and Tampa will have it in 2022.

The SEC tournament will be played in Nashville, Tennessee, in the nine other years between 2015 and 2025. The league made a long-term committee to Nashville last year, calling it the "primary site" for its men's tournament.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...ournaments
05-27-2014 07:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
RE: SEC Men's Basketball Tournament to be also in Saint Louis & Tampa....
Sounds like a similar model going on in the Big Ten/ACC/SEC. Each have a primary location/area and then move out periodically. The Big Ten is located primarily in Indianapolis/Chicago, ACC in North Carolina, and SEC in Nashville. All primary locations are areas close to several of the bigger basketball schools.

I think a few years in Missouri is probably a good idea and along similar lines to the Big Ten on the east coast. Helps integrate the area into the conference better when there are competing conferences in the area.
05-27-2014 08:10 PM
LouPower Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Saint Louis
The SEC gets a tournament in STL, and the A-10 won't go there.

#FirstWorldProblems
05-27-2014 08:21 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(05-27-2014 08:21 PM)LouPower Wrote:  The SEC gets a tournament in STL, and the A-10 won't go there.

#FirstWorldProblems
That is why St Louis should be in a better conference...
05-28-2014 12:14 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
A mistake having the SEC basketball tournament in Tampa. Last time it was there it didn't sell out. Slive blamed it on the economy but The Big East and ACC Tournaments both sold out. Only team that sold out its allotment was Kentucky.
CJ
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2014 03:42 AM by CardinalJim.)
05-28-2014 03:41 AM
prp Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tartans!
(05-28-2014 03:41 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  A mistake having the SEC basketball tournament in Tampa. Last time it was there it didn't sell out. Slive blamed it on the economy but The Big East and ACC Tournaments both sold out. Only team that sold out its allotment was Kentucky.
CJ

The SEC should consider playing the tournament in Kentucky. It'll sell out every night. There's a pretty nice arena in the state's biggest city they could play at.
05-28-2014 06:47 AM
Advertisement

Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
ACC tourney didn't have great crowds when in Florida also.
05-28-2014 10:16 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(05-28-2014 06:47 AM)prp Wrote:  
(05-28-2014 03:41 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  A mistake having the SEC basketball tournament in Tampa. Last time it was there it didn't sell out. Slive blamed it on the economy but The Big East and ACC Tournaments both sold out. Only team that sold out its allotment was Kentucky.
CJ

The SEC should consider playing the tournament in Kentucky. It'll sell out every night. There's a pretty nice arena in the state's biggest city they could play at.

The SEC should consider the Yum Center in Louisville...one of the best Arena in the Nation and really since we are in the ACC no shot of the ACC Tournament coming here since they don't use Home Arenas for their Tournament...it is either Greensboro, Atlanta, Tampa, Charlotte and now Barclays in Brooklyn...
05-28-2014 10:20 AM
LouPower Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Saint Louis
(05-28-2014 12:14 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(05-27-2014 08:21 PM)LouPower Wrote:  The SEC gets a tournament in STL, and the A-10 won't go there.

#FirstWorldProblems
That is why St Louis should be in a better conference...

Yeah, my choices are Big East or the MIAA.
05-28-2014 10:23 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Like the approach, but a little surprise a great beach destination like Florida didn't get more people to show while others did.

Maybe its just a matter of keeping it nearer to states that care about basketball. Charlotte would be another good one.
05-28-2014 10:29 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
New Orleans seems like an obvious place to hold the SEC tournament every so often.
05-28-2014 10:33 AM
Advertisement

TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(05-28-2014 10:33 AM)Wedge Wrote:  New Orleans seems like an obvious place to hold the SEC tournament every so often.

They would have to contact our client, the Superdome Commission, which runs the Superdome, New Orleans Arena and Zephyr Field.
05-28-2014 10:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ohio1317 Offline

I almost feel like the Tampa addition was an attempt at balance. They want a few games near Missouri, so they also put one in the east. I'm not sure I agree with the approach though if that's the case. They already have the football championship in Atlanta every year it's questionable about how successful it will be in Florida more so than the others (with less upside too given the state is already very pro-SEC).

Edit: Not to say Missouri isn't but the conference is still new there and you still the Big 12 Tournament much closer.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2014 10:37 AM by ohio1317.)
05-28-2014 10:36 AM
Rabonchild Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
Will they ever throw Texas AM a bone.
05-28-2014 10:40 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Dallas or Houston will probably eventually make the rotation one day but we're not super concerned, especially in BB where our team wont ever make it with the way its being run.
05-28-2014 10:47 AM
MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
St. Louis is a very easy trip for Kentucky fans so that will be fine for the big dog in SEC basketball. Arkansas should travel well if the team is doing well. Still downtown St. Louis is set up fairly well for conference tournaments. MVC Tournament is always ran well and their is plenty to do in downtown St. Louis. Opening the new Ballpark Village down the street will help as well.
05-28-2014 11:03 AM
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

(05-28-2014 10:40 AM)Rabonchild Wrote:  Will they ever throw Texas AM a bone.

I'm sure they will, but there was a lot more of a need with Missouri. While Texas A&M had a few traditional opponents and had fans almost universally for the move, there was a little more resistance in the state of Missouri. I'm not saying most weren't for it (especially with how things looked then), but Missouri has no traditional rivals in the conference and lost having the basketball tournament in their home state (something Kansas City businesses were very worried with prior to the move).

Texas A&M will feel like it's been part of the SEC forever in the not so distant future regardless of what the SEC does. Missouri requires a little more effort. Note: This is similar in the Big Ten. Nebraska is a newbie, but feels very Big Ten and fits in very well with the western half of the conference. It's going to take more effort to fully feel like New Jersey and Maryland are Big Ten states.
05-28-2014 11:06 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Stick with Nashville.
05-28-2014 11:16 AM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(05-28-2014 10:20 AM)Maize Wrote:  
(05-28-2014 06:47 AM)prp Wrote:  
CJ

The SEC should consider the Yum Center in Louisville...one of the best Arena in the Nation and really since we are in the ACC no shot of the ACC Tournament coming here since they don't use Home Arenas for their Tournament...it is either Greensboro, Atlanta, Tampa, Charlotte and now Barclays in Brooklyn...
Pitino's little birdies have veto power over any basketball event played there during the season. No way it happens.

Freedom Hall, however, would gladly welcome the opportunity to bid.
05-28-2014 07:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(05-28-2014 10:36 AM)ohio1317 Wrote:  I almost feel like the Tampa addition was an attempt at balance. They want a few games near Missouri, so they also put one in the east. I'm not sure I agree with the approach though if that's the case. They already have the football championship in Atlanta every year it's questionable about how successful it will be in Florida more so than the others (with less upside too given the state is already very pro-SEC).

Edit: Not to say Missouri isn't but the conference is still new there and you still the Big 12 Tournament much closer.
Not really... Columbia is half way between St Louis and KC. St Louis has been the host for several NCAA Regionals and do a good job. St Louis Metro area is much more of an SEC crowd than the KC area, and a lot more populated .04-cheers
05-28-2014 07:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.