Open TigerLinks

Kuran Iverson Update
Bookmark and Share
Nobody4Prez Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Kuran Iverson Update
What is the latest with KI?

I really believe one he sheds the bad habits learned in AAU that he will be a fantastic player.
05-25-2014 02:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rob
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Kuran Iverson Update
He's somewhere being better than Wiggins.
05-25-2014 06:08 AM
Quote this message in a reply
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

Kuran displayed flashes-flashes, mind you-of talent last season (certainly not the talent level of Wiggens, but we know where that came from!).
But he wasn't consistent enough to get regular minutes. Can he make that great leap? I don't know.

He seems to me to be a player without a position. Too thin for the 4, not quick enough, not enough handles, not a good enough shooter to play the 3. He's definitely not a 2.

He did rebound reasonably well, so maybe there's some minutes there for him.

Despite being less talented, Kuran's skill set reminds me more of DJ Stephens'.

I honestly hope Kuran gets it next season. I really like him. But with the depth we'll have at the 3, and in the paint, I just don't know how he will go about distinguishing himself from the pack..
05-25-2014 06:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

I meant that DJ was less talented than Kuran, not v/v.
05-25-2014 07:00 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
KI is an enigma because we did not see him in action much last year. Based on my limited observation and expertise, he has a unique skill set for a 6-10 player. It will be fun to see how he develops and the role he plays for our team next year.
05-25-2014 09:56 AM
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
His limited role, even in blow out wins, basically will have him behind much of this year as well.
05-25-2014 09:59 AM
Advertisement

TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
(05-25-2014 09:56 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  KI is an enigma because we did not see him in action much last year. Based on my limited observation and expertise, he has a unique skill set for a 6-10 player. It will be fun to see how he develops and the role he plays for our team next year.

I agree. It's too bad that he didn't play more last year, but that was the right decision based on the situation at the time. Just a numbers game. I have high hopes for him.
05-25-2014 10:07 AM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
(05-25-2014 09:59 AM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  His limited role, even in blow out wins, basically will have him behind much of this year as well.

Keep rooting against the kid.
05-25-2014 10:07 AM
Bathtub Gin Offline
All American

I Root For: Free Market
He can be elite for us if he works on his shooting. His shooting last year during games was turrible
05-25-2014 10:55 AM
Tigermaniac Offline
BBB Enthusiast

I Root For: Memphis/Army
I'm not gonna get into the numbers game conversation. There were plenty of games 1-2 of our seniors guards should have had a seat on the bench and King/Iverson/Wilson should have gotten more minutes.

It didn't matter who we had coming in to play the three last season. Josh was sticking to his 4 senior guards and keeping 3 of them on the court no matter what. He even said so at his end of season press conference and he knows it wasn't his best move.

If Wiggins would have been on this team last season he would have only played at the 4. Same with any other SF in the college game.

Iverson will be great for us whether that be being a solid 5-6 PPG off the bench guy or if he turns into an absolute stud. Whatever he does I'm looking forward to seeing the kid play and get more minutes.
05-25-2014 11:44 AM
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
(05-25-2014 11:44 AM)Tigermaniac Wrote:  I'm not gonna get into the numbers game conversation. There were plenty of games 1-2 of our seniors guards should have had a seat on the bench and King/Iverson/Wilson should have gotten more minutes.

It didn't matter who we had coming in to play the three last season. Josh was sticking to his 4 senior guards and keeping 3 of them on the court no matter what. He even said so at his end of season press conference and he knows it wasn't his best move.

If Wiggins would have been on this team last season he would have only played at the 4. Same with any other SF in the college game.

Iverson will be great for us whether that be being a solid 5-6 PPG off the bench guy or if he turns into an absolute stud. Whatever he does I'm looking forward to seeing the kid play and get more minutes.

I agree, it's just that I won't second guess decisions made in the heat of the moment. Like everybody else, I wish Iverson and the others could have gotten more PT, and maybe I would have done things differently, but it is what it is and I think the kid may be great now that he will get to play real minutes.
05-25-2014 11:59 AM
Advertisement

snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
It's so easy to say 'different' would have been better.

Not playing the Memphis senior kids...I don't know...they have many allies and what would this have done to the Memphis pipeline? Donnie's diggers might be all the way here by now.

Geron lost the handle on his O, but his D won games for us. Michael...well...he was the wild card and we'll never know how three guards would have handled last year without the wild card.

Kuran....if he had played more and been a neg factor in those close games that we won...well the Memphis fan base would have slammed him so hard he might be transferring now. There's a reason Cal sent him our way--just sayin. When I read that Cal suggested Memphis for him..I knew he was not ready to rock and roll the place.

This will be his year... :) to do it.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2014 12:41 PM by snowtiger.)
05-25-2014 12:40 PM
TigerBo Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(05-25-2014 11:59 AM)TigerBill Wrote:  
(05-25-2014 11:44 AM)Tigermaniac Wrote:  I'm not gonna get into the numbers game conversation. There were plenty of games 1-2 of our seniors guards should have had a seat on the bench and King/Iverson/Wilson should have gotten more minutes.

I agree, it's just that I won't second guess decisions made in the heat of the moment. Like everybody else, I wish Iverson and the others could have gotten more PT, and maybe I would have done things differently, but it is what it is and I think the kid may be great now that he will get to play real minutes.

At his age if he had the skillset to be "great" on the perimeter we would have seen more of him last year. If he was a better option than was on the floor last year he would have got the minutes, plain and simple. It amazes me that some think he is a guard or wing. Those that see him as a pg or 2.. I really, really don't get that.
05-25-2014 12:45 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(05-25-2014 12:45 PM)TigerBo Wrote:  

At his age if he had the skillset to be "great" on the perimeter we would have seen more of him last year. If he was a better option than was on the floor last year he would have got the minutes, plain and simple. It amazes me that some think he is a guard or wing. Those that see him as a pg or 2.. I really, really don't get that.

He is a mismatch at the four on the perimeter and if he forms any kind of post game he is a mismatch at the 3 in the post. Defensively I can't really say but he does seem to rebound well.
05-25-2014 01:06 PM
FranklinTNTiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
He is not a mismatch until he has proven that he can consistently post up players and shoot the basic 15 to 20 footer. Up to now, he can not do this consistently.

(05-25-2014 01:06 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  

He is a mismatch at the four on the perimeter and if he forms any kind of post game he is a mismatch at the 3 in the post. Defensively I can't really say but he does seem to rebound well.
05-25-2014 06:07 PM
ItsDude Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
He's going to be pretty good next year.
05-25-2014 08:51 PM
Advertisement

holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

I agree that if he's going to make the leap, it'll probably be this year. I'm just not sure he will get the minutes to make it happen.
05-25-2014 09:07 PM
Tigermaniac Offline
BBB Enthusiast

I Root For: Memphis/Army

He's not a guard. However, he is not a post up big either. It amazes me that some think both Iverson and King are suited to be there. Also as far as the statement about his perimeter game, and trust me I think we all watched him brick or airball some threes/long twos we did not see what is he truly capable of there with no pressure or with confident momentum. He rarely got in because all of our senior guards had to get minutes and 3 of them were on the court at all times.

It also still amazes me that some people still think that we would have gone with anything other then a 3 guard set at all times unless it was a blowout which also rarely happened. We lived and died with them. Whoever a "true" three was or wasn't made no difference.

Not only did we get killed multiple times defensively on the perimeter, we also were lackluster there offensively for a lot of the season. Perimeter skills being great or not had little to do with who was playing there as sometimes said players would go 1-10 and missed a lot more then they made while also giving up wide open shots to the opponent.

I'm looking forward to this upcoming team and I can't wait to see what these young guys can do on the court! I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and not saying anything negative about them or judging them based off 2-3 minutes here and there every 3-4 games. There was a reason Iverson was a top 25-40 player coming out of Highschool. If it were just size vs smaller kids then not only should our coaching staff know it wasn't a ranking reflective of his skill set, but Rivals, ESPN, Scout, 24/7 etc, should have also realized it.

Kid has game, he just has to put it together.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2014 09:58 PM by Tigermaniac.)
05-25-2014 09:56 PM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
It looked like Pastner made certain promises that he felt he needed to keep thus we had 3 of the 4 guards on the floor at all times chewing up minutes.

That decision not only back fired this year it was detrimental to the development of King, Iverson, and Wilson which will likely cost us some next year.

Logically, if you look at next season it's a rebuilding year and so we should expect 4-5 conference losses along with 4-5 ooc losses. This will give us roughly the same record we had this year and probably an 8-10 seed in the tournament. The only problem here is that this is year 6 for Pastner and he never had that big run with the last group to build up some goodwill.

Now, if he hires a certain person as his third assistant and locks down those 3-4 top shelf recruits for the future that's going to help him a lot.

Of course, next year's team could also come out and be his first team to actually exceed pre-season expectations. They really could and if they do that would be huge for JP.

I hope they come together and play lights out from the get-go.
05-25-2014 11:28 PM
Nobody4Prez Offline
All American

(05-25-2014 11:28 PM)bluebacker Wrote:  It looked like Pastner made certain promises that he felt he needed to keep thus we had 3 of the 4 guards on the floor at all times chewing up minutes.

That decision not only back fired this year it was detrimental to the development of King, Iverson, and Wilson which will likely cost us some next year.

Logically, if you look at next season it's a rebuilding year and so we should expect 4-5 conference losses along with 4-5 ooc losses. This will give us roughly the same record we had this year and probably an 8-10 seed in the tournament. The only problem here is that this is year 6 for Pastner and he never had that big run with the last group to build up some goodwill.

Now, if he hires a certain person as his third assistant and locks down those 3-4 top shelf recruits for the future that's going to help him a lot.

Of course, next year's team could also come out and be his first team to actually exceed pre-season expectations. They really could and if they do that would be huge for JP.

I hope they come together and play lights out from the get-go.

Pastner exceeded expectations in YR 1
05-26-2014 07:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.