Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why not get Mike Tranghese or Tim Pernetti to run the New York B1G office?
Bookmark and Share
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THE Ohio State
Why not get Mike Tranghese or Tim Pernetti to run the New York B1G office?
I know Delany is running the show out east now, but why not get a full time Associate Commish in that New York Office. I like Mike Tranghese because he's a hard ass from the old school and understands the dynamics of the Northeast. I also like Tim Pernetti because he did what nobody thought possible by getting Rutgers into the B1G (he also got jobbed just because he followed procedures) and he's also very knowledgeable about east coast media. Either way I see the B1G hiring a full-time very visible ambassador to make sure the league stays in the conscienceness of the eastern megalopolis.
05-24-2014 08:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SeaBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: Michigan
RE: Why not get Mike Tranghese or Tim Pernetti to run the New York B1G office?
I really expected Pernetti to get the job; still might. His TV background is a huge plus, and B1G needs a succession plan for Delany (if they don't already have one).
05-24-2014 09:12 PM
RUfan03 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers, MCC
Tim Pernetti would be my choice. He is young, energetic and has TV experience. He should never have been forced to resign at Rutgers since he took the advice of an attorney and a human resource advisor in his handling of the Mike Rice incident.
05-24-2014 11:14 PM
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

(05-24-2014 09:12 PM)SeaBlue Wrote:  I really expected Pernetti to get the job; still might. His TV background is a huge plus, and B1G needs a succession plan for Delany (if they don't already have one).

Yeah, I agree Pernetti would be an asset, it still may be too soon because of that dude from Dodgeball "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball". I still like Tranghese as well. He's older, but he's got ton's of experience from the commissioner level.
05-24-2014 11:53 PM
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

(05-24-2014 11:14 PM)RUfan03 Wrote:  Tim Pernetti would be my choice. He is young, energetic and has TV experience. He should never have been forced to resign at Rutgers since he took the advice of an attorney and a human resource advisor in his handling of the Mike Rice incident.

They were looking for a scapegoat. And an issue with hiring Pernetti may be strained relations with Rutgers. I mean seriously, how much semen would the administrators of Rutgers have in their collective eyes having to work with a man they forced to resign. And queen Julie is... let's just say a piece of work.

One the other hand, you know that with Pernetti, you have a friend of Rutgers (I still thinks he loves the school)
05-25-2014 12:02 AM
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I'm not sure that there is enough the office will be doing to justify any big time salary. It's there for symobolic reasons (hence it's location in midtown) and I'm sure will do some needed functions, but the real decisions are all still going to be made in Chicago.
05-26-2014 11:13 AM
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

@Ohio1317. I think you can find something for them to do. For both New York to DC you could help create a pipeline from elite high schools to the conference, or internship/career placements in Government/Wall Street/Fortune 1000 companies, or find sponsors, do public outreach, any number of things. IMO you don't pay rent in the high rent district just to have a sign hanging. If you want to become relevant, then you need to be involved in the community in an energetic and authentic way.
05-26-2014 03:58 PM
FDNYUCHuskyFtblFan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UCONN, USC East
I don't know about Pernetti but you will find Mike Tranghese a big UCONN supporter. And I'm sure he would let that be known.
05-26-2014 08:28 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
(05-26-2014 08:28 PM)FDNYUCHuskyFtblFan Wrote:  I don't know about Pernetti but you will find Mike Tranghese a big UCONN supporter. And I'm sure he would let that be known.

Wouldn't matter much in my opinion. You have to get the presidents behind a move and you aren't going to get them to go for a non-AAU school, without a clear #16 also around, and likely scacrificing more play vs. traditional opponents.

That said, I guess if they are still there in a decade it might matter then.
05-27-2014 06:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.