Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

G5 At-Large payout
Bookmark and Share
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
G5 At-Large payout
How much money will the G5 rep get for the at-large appearance, and win if they win and how much does the conference get to divy up between members?
05-23-2014 06:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
RE: G5 At-Large payout
(05-23-2014 06:04 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  How much money will the G5 rep get for the at-large appearance, and win if they win and how much does the conference get to divy up between members?

Don't tell me, too lazy to Google it? 03-lmfao
05-23-2014 06:21 PM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
Haha, I was about to preface it with "yes, I'm too lazy to google this so..."
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2014 06:29 PM by MUsince96.)
05-23-2014 06:28 PM
Advertisement

BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
Just doing a little research and I don't know if this info is still accurate:

1. Non-BCS commissioners are in discussions to cap per-conference base revenue at $12 million per year in the playoff era, multiple sources have told CBSSports.com.

2. The conference with the team that snags the playoff bowl spot reserved for the No. 1 Group of Five school could max out at $25 million to $26 million in any given year.

3. The power conferences already have decided their revenue distribution with each of the G-5 conferences earning an approximate base of $90 million per year. Group of Five conferences would earn an average of approximately $17.3 million per year beginning in 2014 when the playoff era starts.

4. Conference USA, with 14 members, would split the same $12 million as the Sun Belt, Mountain West and AAC, each with 12 members by 2015. (The MAC is at 13 members.) Two sources said part of the decision was based on conference realignment. The equal split, in theory, deters conferences from raiding each other because that distribution number isn't going to grow with more teams.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...evenue-cap
05-23-2014 07:04 PM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
That was preliminary info and I believe there have been subsequent meetings that lay out more specifically how it will go. The article is a little dated. There is going to be three phases including the base $12M Scorpio mentioned above plus some performance based incentives. I believe the starting number is $86.5 million to be specific and not $90M. This is how I have it...

First Phase: The five conferences each split $60 million (or $12M per school).

Second Phase: This is the first of the performance-based revenues. The next $20 million will be divided among the five conferences based on that conferences overall performance (I have yet to hear how they will make this determination). Out of that $20 million, the best G5 would get $7 million. The other four would get less. I can't recall precisely the numbers off the top of my head but it's something like $5.5 million for the next conference, $4 million, $2 million and no. 5 gets $1.5 million. May not be exactly those numbers but it's close.

Third Phase: This will be for the conference to decide whether it will be split and how or if it will go directly to the school that makes one of the playoff bowls guaranteed to one G5 school. That amount will be an additional $6.5 million. Phases 1 and 2 will be split evenly. I have yet to hear what C-USA would do with a Phase 3.

Of course this will never happen because the selection committee would never allow it, but if we send a team to the four-team playoff it would be an additional $5 or $6 million.

Minimum payout per school is going to be in the $1 million range for C-USA. Maximum is slightly north of $3 million, so it will be somewhere in between most years.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2014 07:50 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
05-23-2014 07:48 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
You can expect that the league will give $2 million to $3 million of the $6.5 million for making the access bowl to the team going because it is REALLY easy to drop $2 million. Teams have to spend six or seven nights at the bowl site. They have to bring in the band for several days. The president (chancellor) and the AD will have a number of lavish parties for top boosters and prospects. Most schools will also be on the hook for added bonuses to coaches for making the game as well. There will also be required site visits ahead of the game from the AD and coach as well as the admin people responsible for housing and feeding all the players and band members.
05-27-2014 12:29 PM
Heisman

(05-27-2014 12:29 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  You can expect that the league will give $2 million to $3 million of the $6.5 million for making the access bowl to the team going because it is REALLY easy to drop $2 million. Teams have to spend six or seven nights at the bowl site. They have to bring in the band for several days. The president (chancellor) and the AD will have a number of lavish parties for top boosters and prospects. Most schools will also be on the hook for added bonuses to coaches for making the game as well. There will also be required site visits ahead of the game from the AD and coach as well as the admin people responsible for housing and feeding all the players and band members.

Meh. Why introduce expenses to this and make it all complicated? 04-chairshot

The question is about revenues. Let's not allow PnL into this discussion and ruin our inflated senses of how much money our schools are going to make! 03-nerner
05-27-2014 01:08 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(05-27-2014 01:08 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  
(05-27-2014 12:29 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  You can expect that the league will give $2 million to $3 million of the $6.5 million for making the access bowl to the team going because it is REALLY easy to drop $2 million. Teams have to spend six or seven nights at the bowl site. They have to bring in the band for several days. The president (chancellor) and the AD will have a number of lavish parties for top boosters and prospects. Most schools will also be on the hook for added bonuses to coaches for making the game as well. There will also be required site visits ahead of the game from the AD and coach as well as the admin people responsible for housing and feeding all the players and band members.

The question is about revenues. Let's not allow PnL into this discussion and ruin our inflated senses of how much money our schools are going to make! 03-nerner

You say this to the guy who got flat out giddy dissecting the Murfreesboro papers breakdown of CUSA costs and revenues because it was the rare publication to approach it like a business story (and I was then able to use that data to show that MTSU would clear its costs before the new TV deal was negotiated).

This is my idea of fun. 04-cheers
05-27-2014 01:18 PM
Heisman

(05-27-2014 01:18 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

You say this to the guy who got flat out giddy dissecting the Murfreesboro papers breakdown of CUSA costs and revenues because it was the rare publication to approach it like a business story (and I was then able to use that data to show that MTSU would clear its costs before the new TV deal was negotiated).

Well, I was being faceitious but since you want to get all serious.

Yes, $1 million, if that's all it turns out to be, is a hell of a lot better than $60,000 or whatever our last conference distribution received.

And FWIW, I don't dissect a local paper with a minicusle circulation. I do my own work in that regard to find out information. Thanks.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2014 01:29 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
05-27-2014 01:26 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(05-27-2014 01:26 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  
(05-27-2014 01:18 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

Well, I was being faceitious but since you want to get all serious.

Yes, $1 million, if that's all it turns out to be, is a hell of a lot better than $60,000 or whatever our last conference distribution received.

And FWIW, I don't dissect a local paper with a minicusle circulation. I do my own work in that regard to find out information. Thanks.

Wasn't getting serious but whatever.
05-27-2014 01:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.