Little Italy's Pies & Pints coming to Five Points
05-23-2014 12:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UABslant Offline

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: Little Italy's Pies & Pints coming to Five Points
I ate at their Little Italy in Helena one time... it was recently opened but looked like a dump and was not good food. If it is anything like their other location, it won't be any competition for Cosmos or Mellow Mushroom. Sadly, I doubt it will be open for more than a year... not the type of business they need in 5 Points South.

I hope they prove me wrong.
05-23-2014 02:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
Entirely too many "Pizza and Brew" places in Birmingham as is. Time for something more original.

I doubt this stands a chance.
05-23-2014 02:30 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I'm still trying to figure out exactly where they're going to be.
05-23-2014 02:33 PM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
Looks like it's next to Surin. Never been to one so don't know how good/bad it is but agree too many beer & food joints but you have to serve alcohol to make money.
05-23-2014 04:16 PM
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
The pizza & food better be as good or better than... oh what am I saying, UAB students will eat pizza by the slice as long as it's quick & cheap. Your average student isn't venturing out to Slice or Post Office Pies for lunch.
05-23-2014 09:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BlazintheATL Offline
All American

(05-23-2014 02:30 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  Entirely too many "Pizza and Brew" places in Birmingham as is. Time for something more original.

Agree. Cosmos and Mellow Mushroom are too established for this to work I think. I doubt they will be offering anything near the quality of Slice or POP so I don't think they can advertise themselves as a gourmet pizza place. I'd like to see some more creative and unique food places open in 5 Points. There's basically high end, bbq, sandwich places, Mexican, Asian cuisine, pizza, and chains. Maybe a farm to table place that isn't so pricey would be nice. I saw that a sushi taco place is opening in Avondale. That is definitely unique to the area.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2014 12:25 AM by BlazintheATL.)
05-24-2014 12:24 AM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(05-24-2014 12:24 AM)BlazintheATL Wrote:  
(05-23-2014 02:30 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  Entirely too many "Pizza and Brew" places in Birmingham as is. Time for something more original.

Maybe a farm to table place that isn't so pricey would be nice. I saw that a sushi taco place is opening in Avondale. That is definitely unique to the area.

The 41st Street area south of the RR tracks seems to be developing along the lines of the Lakeview district with an increasing variety of good eating places like SAWS BBQ. Perhaps T&J BBQ moved too soon. The redevelopment of the lower part of Avondale park along 5th Ave South from the library to the ball parks seems to be right in tune with the trend.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2014 12:58 AM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
05-24-2014 12:57 AM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(05-23-2014 09:43 PM)UABslant Wrote:  Your average student isn't venturing out to Slice or Post Office Pies for lunch.

Your average student isn't venturing out to five points to eat. Your average student either eats on campus because they don't have time to go anywhere else, or they commute to school and can drive anywhere they want to eat.
05-24-2014 01:07 AM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

Re: RE: Little Italy's Pies & Pints coming to Five Points

Agreed...

[Image: zese7udy.jpg]

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2014 09:21 AM by blazr.)
05-24-2014 09:20 AM
mrchance33 Online
1st String

(05-24-2014 01:07 AM)demiveeman Wrote:  
(05-23-2014 09:43 PM)UABslant Wrote:  Your average student isn't venturing out to Slice or Post Office Pies for lunch.

Your average student isn't venturing out to five points to eat. Your average student either eats on campus because they don't have time to go anywhere else, or they commute to school and can drive anywhere they want to eat.

That is completely wrong.You might be that busy, but my friends and I eat in five points all the time, and I've never met anyone that lives on/near campus that doesn't eat in five points at least occasionally. Your average student isn't that busy, even my two roommates who are studying for the MCAT test nine hours a day at least go out to eat dinner. I'll give you the commuters, but the ones I know at least eat at Mellow Mushroom or Waffle House while at the bars in Five Points.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2014 06:24 PM by mrchance33.)
05-24-2014 06:10 PM
Advertisement

demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(05-24-2014 06:10 PM)mrchance33 Wrote:  

That is completely wrong.You might be that busy, but my friends and I eat in five points all the time, and I've never met anyone that lives on/near campus that doesn't eat in five points at least occasionally. Your average student isn't that busy, even my two roommates who are studying for the MCAT test nine hours a day at least go out to eat dinner. I'll give you the commuters, but the ones I know at least eat at Mellow Mushroom or Waffle House while at the bars in Five Points.

UAB's average student doesn't live on/near campus.
05-24-2014 07:56 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-24-2014 07:56 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  

That's not that true anymore, especially grad students and just about everyone that is in the medial and health related schools.
05-24-2014 08:04 PM
mrchance33 Online
1st String

You were the one that said that the average student doesn't go because of time constraints OR because they commute. If you wanted to make a snarky comment about UAB having a larger number of commuter and online students, you should have just said that.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2014 08:08 PM by mrchance33.)
05-24-2014 08:06 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(05-24-2014 08:04 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  

That's not that true anymore, especially grad students and just about everyone that is in the medial and health related schools.

Show me numbers.
05-25-2014 12:13 AM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(05-25-2014 12:13 AM)demiveeman Wrote:  
(05-24-2014 08:04 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  
(05-24-2014 01:07 AM)demiveeman Wrote:  Your average student isn't venturing out to five points to eat. Your average student either eats on campus because they don't have time to go anywhere else, or they commute to school and can drive anywhere they want to eat.

Show me numbers.

didn't see any numbers from you backing your claims...
05-25-2014 02:16 AM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Back when I got my MA from UAB in 1972 there were no students living on the UAB "campus" of Tidwell and Cudworth Halls. It would be interesting to know how many now live in the dorms and in nearby apartments (which I would count as "on campus").
05-25-2014 01:59 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I don't know about the whole student body but about 75-80% of freshmen live on campus.
05-25-2014 04:28 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(05-25-2014 04:28 PM)Smaug Wrote:  I don't know about the whole student body but about 75-80% of freshmen live on campus.

Based on 2013 numbers, 69.1% of all freshman live on-campus. That's 1,225 freshman.

(05-25-2014 02:16 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  didn't see any numbers from you backing your claims...

Okay.

Total Enrollment was 18,568 students last year.

Let's say to be considered an "average" student your situation would need to represent the majority of students. So that means 51% of students would have to live on/very near campus to be considered "average". That's 9,470 students.

Let's go ahead and subtract the 1,225 freshman (who represent the majority of students who actually live in official UAB dorms) that we know live on campus, and that leaves 8,245 students that supposedly live on or near campus.

So let's look at the area shall we?

[Image: southsidemap.png]

Data from 2011 shows that the estimated population of this area was 15,196. And the median average age was about 34 years old.

So do you really think that 54% of EVERYBODY that lives in Southside Birmingham is a student? Does than then make the average UAB student 34 years old? Also, being a UAB student is a pretty cushy deal...since the average income of somebody living in Southside is $34,000+.

My data is by no means concrete or 100% accurate, but I gave you what you asked for...now please show me numbers that show otherwise.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2014 11:54 PM by demiveeman.)
05-25-2014 11:52 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I'll be glad when football season starts. I'm tired of all the pissing contests on the board.
05-26-2014 12:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.