Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

The Mark Cuban comments overblown or no?
Bookmark and Share
uofmcamaro Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Consistency
Quote:I know I'm prejudiced and I know I'm bigoted in a lot of different ways. If I see a black kid in a hoodie on my side of the street, I'll move to the other side of the street. If I see a white guy with a shaved head and tattoos, I'll move back to the other side of the street. None of us have pure thoughts; we all live in glass houses.
05-22-2014 09:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

aTxTIGER Online
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
Poorly worded but his overall point that everyone has prejudices is correct.
05-22-2014 09:45 PM
BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: The Mark Cuban comments overblown or no?
(05-22-2014 09:45 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  Poorly worded but his overall point that everyone has prejudices is correct.

I don't see it as poorly worded but indeed his point is right in how everyone has biases and prejudices. What I don't get is those lashing out at him for being honest and I happen to hear Caulkins and Parrish talk about this and those two guys are messed up in their thinking. They lack common sense.

[Image: dLN2O8A.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 09:59 PM by BigTigerMike.)
05-22-2014 09:51 PM
uofmcamaro Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Consistency
I get it as being poorly worded but I agree that the point remains. Regardless of skin color, background, etc...everyone judges books by their cover. I know I've looked at old white men, in overalls and covered in dirt, that come in the bank and think "they don't have any money" only to pull their accounts and see $250k sitting in a money market. It happens. I've also had a black co-worker of mine see a picture of a black friend of mine on facebook and tell me "I'd lock my doors if I saw him by my car". Point being...we judge books by covers sometimes.
05-22-2014 09:58 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
I'm not sure judging is the exact word. It's more like we have expectations of how people will act based on how they look, how they are dressed and how they talk. The more you interact with all kinds of people, though, the more those expectations don't pan out.

If I see a screaming agitated human walking down the street, I don't care what color he is or what he's screaming, I may or may not cross the street, but my adrenaline level is going to rise on its own, so to speak.

Having lived and worked among many many different types of people, I barely see looks anymore. Each person has a feeling more than a look---not totally fool proof but pretty accurate. I have found that the way you greet someone can dispel the prejudices that they may have about you. In other words, you can set the tone for most interactions with people, if you feel like it.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2014 01:42 AM by snowtiger.)
05-22-2014 10:48 PM
Rob
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Only idiots are outraged by his words. We all have different levels of prejudice but we live in a culture that discourages talking about them openly. Society ignores how incredibly nuanced people are and tries to box people in as one thing or another.
05-23-2014 12:15 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
In my opinion, it is the double standards that hold back meaningful dialogue on the topic.
05-23-2014 08:10 AM
Mick Light Offline
Banned

[quote='BigTigerMike' pid='10774363' dateline='1400813475']
I happen to hear Caulkins and Parrish talk about this and those two guys are messed up in their thinking. They lack common sense.

No, Big Mike, they want a reaction and they got one from you.

Parrish is the biggest joke out there.
05-23-2014 08:15 AM
dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-23-2014 08:15 AM)Mick Light Wrote:  [quote='BigTigerMike' pid='10774363' dateline='1400813475']
I happen to hear Caulkins and Parrish talk about this and those two guys are messed up in their thinking. They lack common sense.

Parrish doesn't much care for "old white guys" as he calls them.
05-23-2014 08:47 AM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
Parrish went out of his way to say it's not a "black" thing and used some silly example of how when he leaves the FEF at 2 am he might be worried to walk to his car. The then veils his concerns with words such a "high crime area" and "dangerous neighborhood" which we know in that part of town is black people. I would bet, if forced to answer honestly he would feel differently when, walking to his car at that time, having a white guy walk towards him versus having a black guy in a hoodie walking towards him.

Until people can have honest conversations about how they feel, society will never get past this.
05-23-2014 09:05 AM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

I Root For: Memphis
I don't have a problem with Cuban being honest.

Can't have an honest dialogue on race in America if you can't be accepting of a person being candid about their prejudices.

Completely overblown and generally a missed opportunity on how to discuss these kinds of things.
05-23-2014 09:13 AM
Advertisement

Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

I Root For: Memphis
(05-23-2014 09:05 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  Parrish went out of his way to say it's not a "black" thing and used some silly example of how when he leaves the FEF at 2 am he might be worried to walk to his car. The then veils his concerns with words such a "high crime area" and "dangerous neighborhood" which we know in that part of town is black people. I would bet, if forced to answer honestly he would feel differently when, walking to his car at that time, having a white guy walk towards him versus having a black guy in a hoodie walking towards him.

Until people can have honest conversations about how they feel, society will never get past this.

The irony was the area he is talking about is a block away from Beale St. And has vacant lots and two churches. MLK Ave (formerly Linden) from 4th to Danny Thomas. I think he forgot to add he is probably usually drunk or high at 2AM leaving FEF.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2014 09:16 AM by Latilleon.)
05-23-2014 09:15 AM
Mick Light Offline
Banned

(05-23-2014 09:15 AM)Latilleon Wrote:  
(05-23-2014 09:05 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  Parrish went out of his way to say it's not a "black" thing and used some silly example of how when he leaves the FEF at 2 am he might be worried to walk to his car. The then veils his concerns with words such a "high crime area" and "dangerous neighborhood" which we know in that part of town is black people. I would bet, if forced to answer honestly he would feel differently when, walking to his car at that time, having a white guy walk towards him versus having a black guy in a hoodie walking towards him.

The irony was the area he is talking about is a block away from Beale St. And has vacant lots and two churches. MLK Ave (formerly Linden) from 4th to Danny Thomas. I think he forgot to add he is probably usually drunk or high at 2AM leaving FEF.

Well said.

On a related note I once saw Caulkins leaving FEF after a game one night after I had a few brews on Beale. I was afraid.
05-23-2014 10:19 AM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

(05-23-2014 08:47 AM)dan o Wrote:  
(05-23-2014 08:15 AM)Mick Light Wrote:  [quote='BigTigerMike' pid='10774363' dateline='1400813475']

o no...I agree with Parrish for the first time. But I would like to add JEWISH to 'old white guys'.

Never leave a penny dish on the counter when an old white Jewish guy is buying a piece of fruit.

Talking about it now only angers me.

#pennypinchers
05-23-2014 10:33 AM
dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

Parrish's pandering hypocrisy is off the scale.
05-23-2014 11:11 AM
Mick Light Offline
Banned

(05-23-2014 10:33 AM)snowtiger Wrote:  

o no...I agree with Parrish for the first time. But I would like to add JEWISH to 'old white guys'.

Never leave a penny dish on the counter when an old white Jewish guy is buying a piece of fruit.

#pennypinchers

#racist
05-23-2014 11:26 AM
Advertisement

snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

(05-23-2014 11:26 AM)Mick Light Wrote:  

#pennypinchers

#racist

#chosenpeople
#unconditionalacceptance
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2014 12:33 PM by snowtiger.)
05-23-2014 11:39 AM
Mick Light Offline
Banned

(05-23-2014 11:39 AM)snowtiger Wrote:  

#pennypinchers

#racist

#chosenpeople
#unconditionalacceptance

#snicker
05-23-2014 12:34 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

(05-23-2014 12:34 PM)Mick Light Wrote:  
(05-23-2014 11:39 AM)snowtiger Wrote:  
(05-23-2014 08:47 AM)dan o Wrote:  Parrish doesn't much care for "old white guys" as he calls them.

#pennypinchers

#racist

#chosenpeople
#unconditionalacceptance

#snicker

##
05-23-2014 12:36 PM
KRB Offline
Tigers Templar
Jersey Retired

I Root For: MEMPHIS
I thought what Cuban said was honest. You could apply that to all races. We all have stereotypical prejudices. It's just a fact of life.
05-23-2014 10:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.