Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting Kustra comment re: AAC
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Interesting Kustra comment re: AAC
“I don’t know why any university needs to do any more than that,” he said. “Like my conference commissioner, like my fellow presidents in the Mountain West, I’m very suspicious of what’s going on here. And so is the American conference, our old Big East conference — we’re talking more and more with them. I have a feeling we’re going to have a great partnership with the American conference over the years. And they feel the same way we do.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/05/21...rylink=cpy
05-22-2014 01:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: Interesting Kustra comment re: AAC
Other than merge---I don't know what we could do together. If we merged, that would essentially be as close to a best of the rest conference as you could reasonably get. If deregulation of FBS divisional play occurs, there may be a way to do it.
05-22-2014 01:56 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

(05-22-2014 01:56 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Other than merge---I don't know what we could do together. If we merged, that would essentially be as close to a best of the rest conference as you could reasonably get. If deregulation of FBS divisional play occurs, there may be a way to do it.

Pods
05-22-2014 01:56 PM
1IvyDog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Fresno State
(05-22-2014 01:50 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  “I don’t know why any university needs to do any more than that,” he said. “Like my conference commissioner, like my fellow presidents in the Mountain West, I’m very suspicious of what’s going on here. And so is the American conference, our old Big East conference — we’re talking more and more with them. I have a feeling we’re going to have a great partnership with the American conference over the years. And they feel the same way we do.

It looks like the MW and the AAC are working together to separate themselves from the G3 and futures inclusion with the P5.
05-22-2014 01:58 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

Pod 1)

ECU
Navy
Temple
UCF

Pod 2)

Memphis
Cincy
UConn
USF

Pod 3)

Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Tulane

Pod 4)

CSU
Air Force
Wyoming
Utah State

Pod 5)

Boise
San Diego State
Fresno
UNLV

Pod 6)

Hawaii
San Jose State
New Mexico
Nevada
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 02:01 PM by NBPirate.)
05-22-2014 02:00 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(05-22-2014 01:56 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Other than merge---I don't know what we could do together. If we merged, that would essentially be as close to a best of the rest conference as you could reasonably get. If deregulation of FBS divisional play occurs, there may be a way to do it.

tons of things i dont want
1) basketball challenge
2) ncaa agreement that our champion vs their champion for access slot
3) bowls

etc..

but in all likelyhood they are the ones doing the talking and we are the ones "listening" they have more to gain partnering with us than the other way round..hoping this partnership doesnt come to fruition
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 02:17 PM by pesik.)
05-22-2014 02:02 PM
Advertisement

PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(05-22-2014 01:58 PM)1IvyDog Wrote:  
(05-22-2014 01:50 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  “I don’t know why any university needs to do any more than that,” he said. “Like my conference commissioner, like my fellow presidents in the Mountain West, I’m very suspicious of what’s going on here. And so is the American conference, our old Big East conference — we’re talking more and more with them. I have a feeling we’re going to have a great partnership with the American conference over the years. And they feel the same way we do.

It looks like the MW and the AAC are working together to separate themselves from the G3 and futures inclusion with the P5.

The irony is that that is exactly what Kustra is poo-poohing. Kustra is talking (writing) out of both sides of his mouth. Again.

Odd oversight for Kustra not to mention the MAC, Sun Belt or CUSA.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 02:03 PM by PirateMarv.)
05-22-2014 02:02 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
I'd like to see the AAC and MWC work together on a lot of fronts. It's a good way to ensure our mutual survival in the top flight.

This won't even happen, but I'd love to see a game between the AAC champ and the MWC champ as a "tiebreak" for an access bowl. I wonder if that could be negotiated with the Power Five.
05-22-2014 02:14 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
[Image: Annoying_no_gif.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HartfordHusky Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCONN
I'm all for the AAC and MWC conference partnering to make sure they are seen as above the other G3 conferences. I'd much rather play MWC schools in FB than any MAC, CUSA, or Sun Belt schools.
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(05-22-2014 02:02 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  
(05-22-2014 01:58 PM)1IvyDog Wrote:  

The irony is that that is exactly what Kustra is poo-poohing. Kustra is talking (writing) out of both sides of his mouth. Again.

Odd oversight for Kustra not to mention the MAC, Sun Belt or CUSA.

Or...that the MW and AAC are the only 2 conferences that can or are able to push back for the rest of the G5?
The Sunbelt, MAC and CUSA teams are in no position or have the strength to do so. The MW and AAC who have beaten up a lot of P5 opponents and bigger budgets are in better position to work together against some of the P5 powerbrokers.
05-22-2014 02:16 PM
Advertisement

SouthPhillyFall Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Temple
I think an alliance with the MWC could be helpful. You get SDSU, UNM to play us in basketball, Boise and whoever else to play us OOC in football. They are pretty close to us in terms of revenue per team. C-USA, Sun Belt, MAC not so much

[Image: msc7jo.jpg]
05-22-2014 02:27 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

(05-22-2014 02:27 PM)SouthPhillyFall Wrote:  I think an alliance with the MWC could be helpful. You get SDSU, UNM to play us in basketball, Boise and whoever else to play us OOC in football. They are pretty close to us in terms of revenue per team. C-USA, Sun Belt, MAC not so much

Actually not really
05-22-2014 02:28 PM
EDLUVAR Offline
1st String

I Root For: Boise St.
(05-22-2014 02:28 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  
(05-22-2014 02:27 PM)SouthPhillyFall Wrote:  I think an alliance with the MWC could be helpful. You get SDSU, UNM to play us in basketball, Boise and whoever else to play us OOC in football. They are pretty close to us in terms of revenue per team. C-USA, Sun Belt, MAC not so much

Actually not really

He may have been talking about TV $ and ticket sales, not student fees to support athletics.
05-22-2014 02:31 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
The G5 just needs to host a 16 team tournament and beat the P5 to the punch. ESPN would pay big money for that.
05-22-2014 02:31 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

(05-22-2014 02:31 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  The G5 just needs to host a 16 team tournament and beat the P5 to the punch. ESPN would pay big money for that.

Why would we relegate ourselves to that
05-22-2014 02:32 PM
Advertisement

SouthPhillyFall Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Temple
(05-22-2014 02:31 PM)EDLUVAR Wrote:  
(05-22-2014 02:28 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  

Actually not really

He may have been talking about TV $ and ticket sales, not student fees to support athletics.
I meant TV-wise, they are our peers
05-22-2014 02:33 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(05-22-2014 02:31 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  The G5 just needs to host a 16 team tournament and beat the P5 to the punch. ESPN would pay big money for that.

like they pay or even air the fcs tournament?

or how they promote the NIT as a top basketball tournament?

we make ourselves a second tier we sink our own ship. people want the "highest level"
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 02:34 PM by pesik.)
05-22-2014 02:33 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Exactly, why purposely relegate yourself to second tier status. The so called power 5 are trying to do that anyway.

Another thing, I sure wish the AAC and MWC could play each other for a slot in the Access bowl and cut out the Sun Belt, Mac, and Cusa.
05-22-2014 02:34 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
I can see why the Power 5 would love to strip away the schools in the MAC, CUSA, and the Sun Belt. They contain too many state universities that are afterthoughts in their home states as well as too many FCS call ups. 01-scout

However, the AAC and MWC deserve the chance to compete against the big boys. There are some brand name schools in both conferences that shouldn't be left out in the cold.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 02:40 PM by UConnHusky.)
05-22-2014 02:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.