Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CBS Sports:Informal ACC-SEC scheduling pact taking shape...
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
CBS Sports:Informal ACC-SEC scheduling pact taking shape...
From the article:

An SEC source said about four or five teams from each league are discussing potential home-and-home matchups for some time in the next 6-7 years. These would be new matchups aside from the permanent end-of-year rivalries such as Florida-Florida State, Georgia-Georgia Tech, Clemson-South Carolina and Louisville-Kentucky. Neutral-site-heavy teams (think LSU/Alabama from the SEC and North Carolina/Virginia Tech from the ACC) are likely out of that mix, too, according to the source.

That would still leave dozens of potential combinations to digest.

SEC: Auburn, Texas A&M, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Vanderbilt.

ACC: Miami, North Carolina State, Virginia, Wake Forest, Duke, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Syracuse.

There's buzz about Miami and Florida playing in Orlando, and even if that doesn't happen (I'm skeptical), Florida could be in the market for another game away from the Swamp.

Vanderbilt no longer has the Wake Forest series but has talked to a few ACC private schools about a series.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...king-shape
05-22-2014 12:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
RE: CBS Sports:Informal ACC-SEC scheduling pact taking shape...
(05-22-2014 12:09 PM)Maize Wrote:  From the article:

An SEC source said about four or five teams from each league are discussing potential home-and-home matchups for some time in the next 6-7 years. These would be new matchups aside from the permanent end-of-year rivalries such as Florida-Florida State, Georgia-Georgia Tech, Clemson-South Carolina and Louisville-Kentucky. Neutral-site-heavy teams (think LSU/Alabama from the SEC and North Carolina/Virginia Tech from the ACC) are likely out of that mix, too, according to the source.

SEC: Auburn, Texas A&M, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Vanderbilt.

ACC: Miami, North Carolina State, Virginia, Wake Forest, Duke, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Syracuse.

There's buzz about Miami and Florida playing in Orlando, and even if that doesn't happen (I'm skeptical), Florida could be in the market for another game away from the Swamp.

Vanderbilt no longer has the Wake Forest series but has talked to a few ACC private schools about a series.

This may make sense for auburn, Tenn, and Vandy but I would think the other available SEC teams (A&M, Mizzou, Arky, olé miss, MSU) would rather play the Big 12 or big ten
05-22-2014 01:22 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-22-2014 01:22 PM)goofus Wrote:  
(05-22-2014 12:09 PM)Maize Wrote:  From the article:

This may make sense for auburn, Tenn, and Vandy but I would think the other available SEC teams (A&M, Mizzou, Arky, olé miss, MSU) would rather play the Big 12 or big ten

It makes sense...remember the SEC and their network are tied mainly to ESPN...The ACC is also extremely tied to ESPN...Just Saying...Content...04-cheers
05-22-2014 01:43 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
We've had fun series with Miami, Pitt, VT and Clemson in the past decade so I welcome this alliance. The SEC and ACC are natural allies so it only makes sense to team up.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 01:48 PM by 10thMountain.)
05-22-2014 01:48 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
The sportswriter might be overselling the idea of a "pact".

It looks more like teams agreeing with each other, and it makes sense for ACC and SEC teams to make deals because each of them needs a P5 non-con game each year while teams in the other three P5 leagues don't "have to" make those deals. ACC and SEC teams can all call Maryland or Indiana or Kansas if they want, but those teams are free to play only G5 and FCS non-con games if that's what they want to do.
05-22-2014 01:48 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
It beats the hell out of watching <insert ACC/SEC school> pounding an FCS opponent by 50.
05-22-2014 02:06 PM
Advertisement

justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
(05-22-2014 02:06 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  It beats the hell out of watching <insert ACC/SEC school> pounding an FCS opponent by 50.

I'd rather watch a CAA team upset/almost upset an ACC team, honestly.
05-22-2014 02:21 PM
miztigers55 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Mizzou, SLU, BC
Maybe SEC east teams (minus mizzou) could play teams from the ACC and the SEC west+ Mizzou could play a Big 12 team or a rotation of big 12 teams? Does anyone know how the SEC and Big 12 feel about each other?
05-22-2014 03:34 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Speaking as a fan of one of the teams that might be in play, honestly, I couldn't care less about playing an SEC school.

I understand that for a lot of Southern ACC teams, games against the SEC are valued and cherished but up where I live (Pittsburgh), while we certainly respect what the handful of SEC teams have achieved on the field, we couldn't care less about those schools any more, I'm sure than they care about us.

I get that the SEC is the best league in college football - and it very clearly is just that. However, that doesn't mean that all of its teams are amazing. In fact, most of their teams are mediocre or worse. Someone has to serve as the cannon fodder every year for Alabama, Auburn, LSU and Florida.

Well, take a wild guess which teams Pitt would get to play? We wouldn't get LSU or Alabama. Nope, we'd probably get to go to beautiful Starkville, Mississippi or Fayetteville, Arkansas or someplace like that. I can't imagine that type of match up has any appeal to fans of those schools and I can assure you it would do nothing for our fans either.

I'd much rather play any number of B1G schools, especially Penn State. However, if they continue to duck us, as they have for the past 15 years, I'd love to have a shot against Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, etc. Those games hold much more appeal to me than a low level SEC team.

If we are forced to make a deal with someone in that league, I guess I would prefer either Tennessee or Texas A&M.
05-22-2014 03:46 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
(05-22-2014 03:34 PM)miztigers55 Wrote:  Maybe SEC east teams (minus mizzou) could play teams from the ACC and the SEC west+ Mizzou could play a Big 12 team or a rotation of big 12 teams? Does anyone know how the SEC and Big 12 feel about each other?

Well, they partnered for the Sugar Bowl so they can't feel too badly about each other.

I think this is the right solution. Just let everyone fend for themselves. It makes sense for Louisville to play Kentucky every year. It makes sense for Florida State to play Florida every year. However, how much sense does it make for Boston College to play Vanderbilt every year or Syracuse vs. Arkansas? That makes no sense whatsoever and helps neither team.

I'm sure that like Pitt, those schools would rather schedule home-and-homes with other Northern schools that would help them sell tickets and/or foster interest locally.

If Alabama or LSU comes to town, people will sit up and take notice no matter where that city is located. However, that does not hold true for all SEC schools. BC for example isn't going to sell any more tickets for a game vs. Ole Miss than they would for a game vs. Kansas State or Arizona.

For a Wake Forest or a Duke, an annual game vs. fellow prestigious private school like Vandy is a decently big deal. For schools not located within that bubble, we couldn't care less.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 03:55 PM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
05-22-2014 03:53 PM
Chris02M Offline
1st String

I Root For: syracuse
(05-22-2014 03:46 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  Speaking as a fan of one of the teams that might be in play, honestly, I couldn't care less about playing an SEC school.

I understand that for a lot of Southern ACC teams, games against the SEC are valued and cherished but up where I live (Pittsburgh), while we certainly respect what the handful of SEC teams have achieved on the field, we couldn't care less about those schools any more, I'm sure than they care about us.

I get that the SEC is the best league in college football - and it very clearly is just that. However, that doesn't mean that all of its teams are amazing. In fact, most of their teams are mediocre or worse. Someone has to serve as the cannon fodder every year for Alabama, Auburn, LSU and Florida.

Well, take a wild guess which teams Pitt would get to play? We wouldn't get LSU or Alabama. Nope, we'd probably get to go to beautiful Starkville, Mississippi or Fayetteville, Arkansas or someplace like that. I can't imagine that type of match up has any appeal to fans of those schools and I can assure you it would do nothing for our fans either.

I'd much rather play any number of B1G schools, especially Penn State. However, if they continue to duck us, as they have for the past 15 years, I'd love to have a shot against Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, etc. Those games hold much more appeal to me than a low level SEC team.

If we are forced to make a deal with someone in that league, I guess I would prefer either Tennessee or Texas A&M.

how about a neutral site game at legion field?
05-22-2014 03:54 PM
Advertisement

bostonspider Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Richmond
(05-22-2014 02:21 PM)justinslot Wrote:  
(05-22-2014 02:06 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  It beats the hell out of watching <insert ACC/SEC school> pounding an FCS opponent by 50.

I'd rather watch a CAA team upset/almost upset an ACC team, honestly.

Yes, those CAA schools always get pounded by 50..

Richmond 13 - Duke 0 (2006)
Richmond 24 - Duke 16 (2009)
Richmond 23 - Duke 21 (2011)

W&M 26 - UVA 14 (2009)

JMU 21 - VaTech 16 (2010)
05-22-2014 04:13 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC

TAMU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and MSU can all play P-5 games in Texas and derive more bang for the risk than playing schools on the east coast where they do not recruit. TAMU also likes to hit the West Coast. I can't see them playing ACC teams. Mizzou's dance card is filled with mid-west teams like Illinois, Purdue, and probably Kansas. Essentially you are talking about Auburn and Tennessee and they will be very careful with who they schedule and will try to play any game in Atlanta. Until there is a rule to play TWO P-5's you will not see a big rise in the SEC/ACC games.
05-22-2014 08:08 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-22-2014 08:08 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  SEC: Auburn, Texas A&M, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Vanderbilt.

TAMU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and MSU can all play P-5 games in Texas and derive more bang for the risk than playing schools on the east coast where they do not recruit. TAMU also likes to hit the West Coast. I can't see them playing ACC teams. Mizzou's dance card is filled with mid-west teams like Illinois, Purdue, and probably Kansas. Essentially you are talking about Auburn and Tennessee and they will be very careful with who they schedule and will try to play any game in Atlanta. Until there is a rule to play TWO P-5's you will not see a big rise in the SEC/ACC games.

Auburn does play Louisville in Atlanta in 2005....04-cheers
05-22-2014 08:12 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
ND is trying to schedule a series with Georgia.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2014/05/brian...-schedule/
05-22-2014 10:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
the ironie in all this, Vandy would be better off playing BYU in titans stadium
Duke would be better off playing BYU in Charollete
05-23-2014 12:33 AM
Advertisement

prp Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tartans!
(05-22-2014 03:53 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  For a Wake Forest or a Duke, an annual game vs. fellow prestigious private school like Vandy is a decently big deal. For schools not located within that bubble, we couldn't care less.

Why was the Vandy-Wake Forest series cancelled? It seemed like a good matchup for both schools that had the potential to become a nice annual rivalry. Google tells me it's because Tennessee-Vanderbilt got moved to Thanksgiving after Kentucky-Louisville was moved to Thanksgiving leaving Tennessee without a Thanksgiving Day rivalry game. But even a game earlier in the season would have been better than the sorry OOC schedules that both teams are putting up for next season.
05-23-2014 02:53 AM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Syracuse has a series with LSU.

'15 in Syracuse
'17 in Baton Rouge
05-23-2014 05:05 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
I was thinking that Pitt and Mizzu would be a great pairing. Both play hard nosed Football and Basketball. Both States (Pa and Mo)anchor Major Cities on opposite sides of Their respective states. Both in Northern part of Their Conference. I would like it. Tennessee and Syracuse could have a North and South Battle of the Orange. Both Long time Football Powers that are on Their way back. Boston College and Vanderbilt could match up well both in heart of a major City and have great fan support and facilities. Tennessee matching Syracuse frees Tennessee and Vanderbilt up.
05-23-2014 05:12 AM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(05-23-2014 05:12 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  I was thinking that Pitt and Mizzu would be a great pairing. Both play hard nosed Football and Basketball. Both States (Pa and Mo)anchor Major Cities on opposite sides of Their respective states. Both in Northern part of Their Conference. I would like it. Tennessee and Syracuse could have a North and South Battle of the Orange. Both Long time Football Powers that are on Their way back. Boston College and Vanderbilt could match up well both in heart of a major City and have great fan support and facilities. Tennessee matching Syracuse frees Tennessee and Vanderbilt up.

Lost by a point to those bastards is '98. BS pass interference call on 4th down with under 2 minutes left. SU could have run the clock out.

Here's a link to the call.
05-23-2014 05:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.