Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Memo to Memphis: All Your Barbecue Are Belong to Us
Bookmark and Share
ballen Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
This guy is either completely delusional or egregiously insulting - or both. I can't tell if the title of his blog is an intentional slur or if his grammar is as weak as his smack. Anyway, if you want a good laugh, read this:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/...&year=2014

Quote:Dear Memphis,

You had a good run. We know you like to think of yourselves as a little bit of a barbecue town, something we troglodytes back east supposedly don't know squat about. [Waits for Memphis to look up "troglodytes" ... oh, hell, here's the link.] You brag about your dry-rub this and your Rendezvous that.

Well apparently, you've never heard of a barbecue mecca we like to call NASHVILLE.

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
05-21-2014 12:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
RE: Memo to Memphis: All Your Barbecue Are Belong to Us
This is just another inciteful (yes I spelled and used that word correctly) post meant to drive blog traffic and make this guy a few dollars...
05-21-2014 01:00 PM
Morkai Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Dave Cavendish seems like a world-class *******.
05-21-2014 01:08 PM
kabluey Offline
Heisman

Just a continued pattern of institutions, groups, individuals in Nashville attempting to co-opt Memphis achievements and talent.
05-21-2014 01:40 PM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
(05-21-2014 12:54 PM)ballen Wrote:  This guy is either completely delusional or egregiously insulting - or both. I can't tell if the title of his blog is an intentional slur or if his grammar is as weak as his smack. Anyway, if you want a good laugh, read this:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/...&year=2014

Quote:Dear Memphis,

You had a good run. We know you like to think of yourselves as a little bit of a barbecue town, something we troglodytes back east supposedly don't know squat about. [Waits for Memphis to look up "troglodytes" ... oh, hell, here's the link.] You brag about your dry-rub this and your Rendezvous that.

Well apparently, you've never heard of a barbecue mecca we like to call NASHVILLE.

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

This person thinks that none of us have had that Manwich crap before?
05-21-2014 02:24 PM
KRB Offline
Tigers Templar
Jersey Retired

I Root For: MEMPHIS
[Image: Aybabtu.png]

It's some hipster wearing a pork pie hat. The saying comes from this Engrish, mistranslation, from a video game called Zero Wing. I got that straight from a hipster, a few years ago.

Nashville, that is straight where I'd run to for BBQ. I don't even need to read the article. I have several family members living in Nashville, because it's trendy. They consider Nashville to be white, and Memphis to be black.

You know that Nashville is the seat of culture don't ya. Just remember when the hockey team was thinking of moving there. There were t shirts that said. Nashville doesn't need another toothless man.

I've always hated Nashville, I still hate Nashville, I will die hating Nashville.
05-21-2014 03:07 PM
Advertisement

Mick Light Offline
Banned

I've been to Nashville many times and never once thought of BBQ.
05-21-2014 03:52 PM
tigerbmw Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(05-21-2014 03:52 PM)Mick Light Wrote:  I've been to Nashville many times and never once thought of BBQ.
Truth. I was there a few weeks ago. You don't think bbq, maybe Cheesecake Factory and Rainforest Cafe : )
05-21-2014 10:02 PM
bsp34 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Mississippi St.
the food scene in Nashville has exploded recently. I wouldn't say it's a better BBQ town than Memphis though.
05-22-2014 11:23 AM
ballen Offline
All American

(05-21-2014 03:07 PM)KRB Wrote:  [Image: Aybabtu.png]

It's some hipster wearing a pork pie hat. The saying comes from this Engrish, mistranslation, from a video game called Zero Wing. I got that straight from a hipster, a few years ago.

Nashville, that is straight where I'd run to for BBQ. I don't even need to read the article. I have several family members living in Nashville, because it's trendy. They consider Nashville to be white, and Memphis to be black.

You know that Nashville is the seat of culture don't ya. Just remember when the hockey team was thinking of moving there. There were t shirts that said. Nashville doesn't need another toothless man.

I've always hated Nashville, I still hate Nashville, I will die hating Nashville.

Well, that makes more sense then - thanks for the enlightenment on the hipster lingo! I am clearly out of the loop of such things.

I would have expected the hipster crowd to embrace Memphis more for all its coolness.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 05:08 PM by ballen.)
05-22-2014 11:51 AM
Hoopla Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
I got the reference. Guess that makes me hip. 03-lmfao

Sounds more like a case of backward hero worship to me.
05-22-2014 02:38 PM
Advertisement

umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
"All Your Barbecue Are Belong to Us"

I assume this guy attended Nashville public schools?

And he calls us troglodytes?

Learn to communicate in a manner that makes some type of friggin' sense.
05-22-2014 04:18 PM
georgiatiger Offline
Axel

I Root For: Everyone
Donators
This is why I don't go to Nashville.
05-22-2014 07:43 PM
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
I can't recall ever eating bbq in Nashville, not even when I lived there for two years. Actually, I can probably find more great bbq joints in Heber Springs than in Nashville. There are two fairly competent ones I can think of, one in Searcy and one in Heber.

I guess that guy has never seen our riverfront during the BBQ Contest.
05-23-2014 01:38 AM
bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

Donators
(05-23-2014 01:38 AM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  I can't recall ever eating bbq in Nashville, not even when I lived there for two years. Actually, I can probably find more great bbq joints in Heber Springs than in Nashville. There are two fairly competent ones I can think of, one in Searcy and one in Heber.

I guess that guy has never seen our riverfront during the BBQ Contest.

I grew up in Middle Tennessee, and barbeque was exotic fare there until at least the 1990s.
05-23-2014 05:25 AM
MemTigerFan Offline
The People's Photographer

I Root For: Tigers!

Donators
(05-22-2014 11:51 AM)ballen Wrote:  
(05-21-2014 03:07 PM)KRB Wrote:  [Image: Aybabtu.png]

Well, that makes more sense then - thanks for the enlightenment on the hipster lingo! I am clearly out of the loop of such things.

I would have expected the hipster crowd to embrace Memphis more for all its coolness.

I guess hipsters may have adopted the saying possibly, but it's really a gamer/computer geek saying than anything else. Been around for years. But I guess that's pretty par for the course of the hipster rage. Very little original thinking, and mostly grabbing old styles and trending it new again or jumping on the ironic band-wagon.
05-23-2014 07:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cletus Online
Hall of Famer

Here's another list of the Best BBQ restaurants that just proves that the left is out of touch with the common man ............. lol

Huffpost: Top Rated BBQ Restaurants In America

Didn't see a single Mid-South area BBQ joint in this list. That should tell you something.

[Image: 20100602-paynes-bar-b-que-chopped-pork-s...-tn_01.jpg]
05-29-2014 01:17 PM
Morkai Offline
Hall of Famer

Speaking of other towns' BBQ, has anyone ever been to Franklin's in Austin? If so, worth the hype?
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 01:49 PM by Morkai.)
05-29-2014 01:49 PM
TigerTitan Offline
Ginourmous Fan

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS

DonatorsDonators
Tastes in food are very subjective. Memphis has a great reputation for liking their own BBQ. That doesn't mean the rest of the nation likes Memphis' BBQ, too. I've read several articles and watched a few documentaries on TV regarding the numerous styles of cooking pork and beef barbeque. Each area of the USA declares they are 'The King'!!

This particular story wasn't declaring that Nashville makes better BBQ than Memphis or any other town. We just have more varieties of it available here, including Memphis style. Our restaurant options have quadruped here in the last six to ten years. If you haven't been here in a while, you don't know what you're talking about.

Someone posted that they 'didn't even think of BBQ' while living in Nashville. Another that BBQ is considered 'exotic cuisine'. You seem presume that we never even heard of it before this week!

I can tell you we've had pork BBQ as long as Memphis has. Maybe LONGER, since we once had a large livestock industry here over one hundred years ago!! But that doesn't mean it's better. However, we sure do like our options up here. I grew up on pork BBQ from the early 1960's and on. We bought whole cooked shoulders for parties and picnics for years from numerous places across town and in surrounding areas.

Oh. And guess what!!? Kentucky has some of the best 'cue you've ever tasted! Sorry if that hurts your feelings. LOL!!! 03-lmfao
05-30-2014 02:56 AM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
(05-30-2014 02:56 AM)TigerTitan Wrote:  Tastes in food are very subjective. Memphis has a great reputation for liking their own BBQ. That doesn't mean the rest of the nation likes Memphis' BBQ, too. I've read several articles and watched a few documentaries on TV regarding the numerous styles of cooking pork and beef barbeque. Each area of the USA declares they are 'The King'!!

This particular story wasn't declaring that Nashville makes better BBQ than Memphis or any other town. We just have more varieties of it available here, including Memphis style. Our restaurant options have quadruped here in the last six to ten years. If you haven't been here in a while, you don't know what you're talking about.

Someone posted that they 'didn't even think of BBQ' while living in Nashville. Another that BBQ is considered 'exotic cuisine'. You seem presume that we never even heard of it before this week!

I can tell you we've had pork BBQ as long as Memphis has. Maybe LONGER, since we once had a large livestock industry here over one hundred years ago!! But that doesn't mean it's better. However, we sure do like our options up here. I grew up on pork BBQ from the early 1960's and on. We bought whole cooked shoulders for parties and picnics for years from numerous places across town and in surrounding areas.

Oh. And guess what!!? Kentucky has some of the best 'cue you've ever tasted! Sorry if that hurts your feelings. LOL!!! 03-lmfao

What?

That "article" was purposefully written with an incendiary tone and title. It was click bait meant to drive eyeballs to that website - and by the judge of the comments here and on the site, they did a good job.

The fact that you're defending it is kind of telling.
05-30-2014 08:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.