UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New for 2016 grads: 2.3 core GPA in HS or else automatic red-shirt in 2016
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
New for 2016 grads: 2.3 core GPA in HS or else automatic red-shirt in 2016
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2014 07:54 AM by WesternBlazer.)
05-21-2014 07:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
RE: New for 2016 grads: 2.3 core GPA in HS or else automatic red-shirt in 2016
I like it. But then I think the NCAA should bring back the No Playing Time for Freshmen rule too.
05-21-2014 09:23 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
The Marshall plane crash is why freshmen play now.
05-21-2014 09:45 AM
BlazerDave Offline
1st String

"2.3 or Hit a Knee."
05-21-2014 09:50 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
With this, the NBA considering raising the minimum age, and NBDL expanding teams to become a true farm system, I see the NBDL becoming train option for basketball playrts
05-21-2014 09:58 AM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
(05-21-2014 09:58 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  With this, the NBA considering raising the minimum age, and NBDL expanding teams to become a true farm system, I see the NBDL becoming train option for basketball playrts

Yup
05-21-2014 11:54 AM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
One possible consequence of this rule may be to increase the local pressure on academic faculty members who will be called into an administrator's office to justify a poor grade for a promising athlete. "Been there, defended that"

In Alabama at least, I know the school's principal can "adjust" whatever grades he/she wishes to change. I have seen it done, though not necessarily for athletes.
05-21-2014 01:20 PM
Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
Quite frankly, if your high school GPA is below 2.3, you shouldn't be admitted to college.
05-21-2014 03:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(05-21-2014 09:23 AM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  I like it. But then I think the NCAA should bring back the No Playing Time for Freshmen rule too.

The Pac-12 proposed just that this week for men's basketball. Saying that if the NBA and their players association can't get the NBA's age limit raised (eliminating the one and done) then perhaps it's time to return to freshman ineligibility.

Quote:The Associated Press reported Tuesday that the presidents of Pac-12 schools have sent a joint letter to the 53 presidents of schools in the other four major FBS conferences, proposing they come together to back a set of sweeping NCAA reforms.

In addition to supporting the five major conferences' bid for autonomy within the NCAA's givernance structure, the letter outlines 10 proposed changes to the current NCAA model, many of them similar to those supported by the College Athletes Player Association. The AP reports the letter was "spurred in part" by the move by former and current Northwestern football players to unionize under the CAPA banner.

— Permit institutions to make scholarship awards up to the full cost of attendance

— Provide reasonable ongoing medical or insurance assistance for student-athletes who suffer an incapacitating injury in competition or practice. Continue efforts to reduce the incidence of disabling injury.

— Guarantee scholarships for enough time to complete a bachelor's degree, provided that the student remains in good academic standing.

— Decrease the demands placed on the athlete in-season, correspondingly increase the time available for studies and campus life, by preventing the abuse of organized "voluntary" practices to circumvent the limit of 20 hours per week and more realistically assess the time away from campus and other commitments during the season.

— Similarly decrease time demands out of season by reducing out-of-season competition and practices, and by considering shorter seasons in specific sports.

— Further strengthen the Academic Progress Rate requirements for postseason play.

— Address the "one and done" phenomenon in men's basketball. If the NBA its Players Association are unable to agree to raising the age limit for players, consider restoring the freshman ineligibility rule in men's basketball.

— Provide student-athletes a meaningful role in governance at the conference and NCAA levels.

— Adjust existing restrictions so that student-athletes preparing for the next stage of their careers are not unnecessarily deprived of the advice and counsel of agents and other competent professionals, but without professionalizing intercollegiate athletics.

— Liberalize the current rules limiting the ability of student-athletes to transfer between institutions.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...ck-reforms
05-21-2014 03:07 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(05-21-2014 03:07 PM)blazerjay Wrote:  
(05-21-2014 09:23 AM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  I like it. But then I think the NCAA should bring back the No Playing Time for Freshmen rule too.

#1— Provide reasonable ongoing medical or insurance assistance for student-athletes who suffer an incapacitating injury in competition or practice. Continue efforts to reduce the incidence of disabling injury.

#2— Guarantee scholarships for enough time to complete a bachelor's degree, provided that the student remains in good academic standing.

#3— Address the "one and done" phenomenon in men's basketball. If the NBA its Players Association are unable to agree to raising the age limit for players, consider restoring the freshman ineligibility rule in men's basketball.[/b]

#4— Liberalize the current rules limiting the ability of student-athletes to transfer between institutions.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...ck-reforms
[/quote]

Regarding #1 - Would this exclude any injury NOT "directly" athletic activity related or not recognized immediately?

#2 - It has been told that as academic standards have been raised at universities, more and more students (not just athletes) are taking 5+ years to complete their degree programs - particularly if they are in technical or scientific fields.

#3 - If the "one & done" is artificially ended, do we return to the Labron Age of losing talented high school players completely as they go directly to the DL to get immediate money into their pockets? Any change from just the NBA will likely result in litigation right away.

#4 - Transfer rules should be changed to allow immediate play if the transfer is to a nonBCS type program. Within the Big 5 it should remain as is.
05-21-2014 03:59 PM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

If player in good standing is forced to leave by coaching staff he should be immediately eligible. If a graduated player is blocked from playing by his previous school the previous school should be forced to keep that player's scholly on their books unused...
05-21-2014 05:31 PM
Advertisement

dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(05-21-2014 03:00 PM)Grammar-Nazi Wrote:  Quite frankly, if your high school GPA is below 2.3, you shouldn't be admitted to college.

bingo!
05-21-2014 08:32 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

Re: RE: New for 2016 grads: 2.3 core GPA in HS or else automatic red-shirt in 2016
(05-21-2014 03:00 PM)Grammar-Nazi Wrote:  Quite frankly, if your high school GPA is below 2.3, you shouldn't be admitted to college.

I worked 30+ hours a week, was youth pastor at my church, played baseball year-round, played in a band, and took full AP classes...all at my father's insistence. I logged a 31 on the ACT but a 2.8 GPA. Which number means more to you? Does any of the contextual information have any bearing or is it just number uber alles?

EDIT: And, yes, my father shouldn't have insisted on that, but the point is that an individual should be able to bring such circumstances to the attention of someone for special adjudication.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2014 08:52 PM by blazr.)
05-21-2014 08:49 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(05-21-2014 08:32 PM)dfarr Wrote:  

bingo!

The two of you are assuming that all Alabama high schools are equally funded and can turn out an equal product from equally equipped students. Also that all high schools have the same grading scale. When my wife's daughter was at Mountain Brook HS, the grade scale was 94+ for an "A", 85+ for a "B" and 76+ for a "C". I don't know what different grade scales there are around the state since all 133 districts can have their own.(I also don't know if the "Common Core" has changed any of this.)
05-21-2014 08:54 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(05-21-2014 08:54 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  
(05-21-2014 08:32 PM)dfarr Wrote:  

bingo!

The two of you are assuming that all Alabama high schools are equally funded and can turn out an equal product from equally equipped students. Also that all high schools have the same grading scale. When my wife's daughter was at Mountain Brook HS, the grade scale was 94+ for an "A", 85+ for a "B" and 76+ for a "C". I don't know what different grade scales there are around the state since all 133 districts can have their own.(I also don't know if the "Common Core" has changed any of this.)

No, they aren't. You are saying that is what they are saying that is what they are assuming simply so you can go off on a tangent we've all heard from you a million times.

They are saying if you can't get a 2.3 GPA in high school you probably don't belong in college. That is a pretty correct assessment.
05-22-2014 12:09 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(05-21-2014 03:59 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  Regarding #1 - Would this exclude any injury NOT "directly" athletic activity related or not recognized immediately?

#2 - It has been told that as academic standards have been raised at universities, more and more students (not just athletes) are taking 5+ years to complete their degree programs - particularly if they are in technical or scientific fields.

#3 - If the "one & done" is artificially ended, do we return to the Labron Age of losing talented high school players completely as they go directly to the DL to get immediate money into their pockets? Any change from just the NBA will likely result in litigation right away.

#4 - Transfer rules should be changed to allow immediate play if the transfer is to a nonBCS type program. Within the Big 5 it should remain as is.

Who, or what is Labron? And do you know what the average salary of a D-League playeris ? Just because they can get money in their pockets doesn't necessarily mean they'll have a better living situation. In fact, I would argue it would be far worse than going to college in most instances.
05-22-2014 12:13 PM
Advertisement

BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
I thought Moses Malone was the first to go straight to NBA, but that may have been before BNBfan's time. 05-stirthepot
05-22-2014 12:18 PM
Marathon Blazer Online
Heisman

(05-22-2014 12:18 PM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  I thought Moses Malone was the first to go straight to NBA, but that may have been before BNBfan's time. 05-stirthepot

I don't think the original Moses was before BNB's time.
05-23-2014 09:45 PM
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
You need a minimum 2.5 to graduate from many undergraduate programs at UAB... then again, most high schools don't have free tutoring and organized study sessoins.
05-23-2014 09:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(05-23-2014 09:53 PM)UABslant Wrote:  You need a minimum 2.5 to graduate from many undergraduate programs at UAB... then again, most high schools don't have free tutoring and organized study sessoins.

Tutoring situations are not the same across our state. Some schools don't have the local funding to provide it, and it is not paid for by the state through the ASETF. Tutoring is entirely a locally funded after school job. A friend's son was tutored at Mountain Brook HS in math. He told me they had a 9th grade math tutor, a 10th grade math tutor, an 11th grade math tutor and a 12th grade math tutor for every tutoring session. At that time WEHS offered tutoring after school too - one math tutor for all 4 levels (and if no students came, you didn't get the $10 per hour it would have paid).
05-24-2014 12:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.