Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Are schools really refusing to schedule specific schools?
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
Exclamation Are schools really refusing to schedule specific schools?
We've heard about the bad blood between TAMU and UT concerning the departure of the former to the SEC, and that one or both refuses to schedule the other (or each other). I've heard that Kansas didn't want to schedule Mizzou anymore in future games as well. Those are two examples where the refusal to play another school became personal. I believe PSU felt that way about PITT for a couple of decades thanks to JoePa.

Are there any other personal vendettas, or at least specific calculated positions taken by a school(s) to refuse to schedule another school in today's CFB game? The reason I bring it up is I've seen several claims where school A will no longer play school B for a tangible reason, and that this plan has been made known to insiders or even publicly. A few days ago in a thread started by a UC poster about how P5 status for many schools is based on decisions made generations ago, another UC poster made the claim that Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, etc refuses to schedule UC in football anymore. To my knowledge, Pitt has not officially came out with a "do not schedule" list. Nor have I seen anything like this informally.

I'm curious if anyone has tangible evidence, or at least a solid source that can prove that specific teams have made it a strategy to no longer schedule other schools. I'm not referring to the generic "P5 wants to avoid the "good" G5 schools", I'm talking about a school targeting another school specifically with the intentions to refuse any scheduling overtures - like in the 3 examples cited above.
05-19-2014 10:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
RE: Are schools really refusing to schedule specific schools?
The ones that I know for sure:
-The pac-12 has a full scheduling embargo on Grand Canyon
-maryland has a full scheduling embargo on georgetown

uconn & BC have their issues but hockey east & cal retiring, has mended the fences and they were recently in a BB tourny together.

PSU with their 2-1 BS is what caused the issue. they are slowly repairing their relationships with pitt. the b10 forced them to play in BB and they are scheduled down the road.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2014 11:10 PM by john01992.)
05-19-2014 11:09 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
Happens a lot. Often where a big-name program won't schedule an in-state "underdog" because of bad blood or because the big guys don't want to do the little guys a favor.

Sometimes they're even honest enough to say, "We won't schedule ____." Here's one example. KU coach Bill Self has no plans for Jayhawks to play Wichita State.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2014 11:11 PM by Wedge.)
05-19-2014 11:10 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(05-19-2014 11:09 PM)john01992 Wrote:  The ones that I know for sure:

uconn & BC have their issues but hockey east & cal retiring, has mended the fences and they were recently in a BB tourny together.

PSU with their 2-1 BS is what caused the issue. they are slowly repairing their relationships with pitt. the b10 forced them to play in BB and they are scheduled down the road.

Grand Canyon University?
05-19-2014 11:40 PM
TStatebobcat Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TxSt
LaTech refuses to schedule ULM. They lost out on a bowl opportunity a couple of years ago because of it.

I'm beginning to think that the Texas CUSA schools collectively don't want to play TxSt.
05-20-2014 12:06 AM
dmacfour Offline
All American

I Root For: Idaho Vandals
Boise State won't schedule Idaho. They say they're above us now, but they end up scheduling school like Southern Miss. A$$holes.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 12:34 AM by dmacfour.)
05-20-2014 12:23 AM
Advertisement

john01992 Offline

(05-19-2014 11:40 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

Grand Canyon University?

yeah they recently went d1 which really pissed off the arizona schools.
05-20-2014 12:30 AM
lew240z Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wyoming
CU stopped scheduling CSU after the 1958 game. CU only resumed playing CSU after the Colorado legislature passed a law requiring CU and CSU to play on a regular basis. While the law expired several years ago, the schools continue to play because it is a big payday for both when the game is at Mile High.

The worst vendetta between two schools that I ever heard of was between the Colorado School of Mines and Denver University in the very early part of the last century ending in 1919. There were multiple acts of vandalism by both sides including several bombings, kidnappings, branding people with chemicals and at least one gunfight. Students from the School of Mines attempted to blow up all the buildings on the DU campus. One bomb failed to explode, three caused minor damage, but blew out all the windows, and one caused serious damage to building.

It was decided to put the disputes over football to rest by playing football. The result was a 0-0 tie. This so infuriated the DU students that they bombed the Mines letter M on the hill above the campus. The schools' presidents then enforced a cease fire that lasted for ten years before a new round of vandalism broke out.
05-20-2014 12:52 AM
john01992 Offline

(05-20-2014 12:52 AM)lew240z Wrote:  CU stopped scheduling CSU after the 1958 game. CU only resumed playing CSU after the Colorado legislature passed a law requiring CU and CSU to play on a regular basis. While the law expired several years ago, the schools continue to play because it is a big payday for both when the game is at Mile High.

The worst vendetta between two schools that I ever heard of was between the Colorado School of Mines and Denver University in the very early part of the last century ending in 1919. There were multiple acts of vandalism by both sides including several bombings, kidnappings, branding people with chemicals and at least one gunfight. Students from the School of Mines attempted to blow up all the buildings on the DU campus. One bomb failed to explode, three caused minor damage, but blew out all the windows, and one caused serious damage to building.

It was decided to put the disputes over football to rest by playing football. The result was a 0-0 tie. This so infuriated the DU students that they bombed the Mines letter M on the hill above the campus. The schools' presidents then enforced a cease fire that lasted for ten years before a new round of vandalism broke out.

dude I will never look at that M the same way again.

on a side note Air Force & colorado have a spat resulting from the vietnam war protests and have never resumed the series.

like seriously WTF is wrong with this state. CU is the only school that I have ever heard of that went killed off BOTH of its major in state rivalries in the modern era.
05-20-2014 01:06 AM
Wedge Offline

Grand Canyon University?

I think Arizona State doesn't want to schedule Grand Canyon in any sport, but other Pac-12 teams have. USC beat Grand Canyon in a baseball game tonight (Monday). GCU also played at Arizona and Washington in baseball.
05-20-2014 01:20 AM
john01992 Offline

(05-20-2014 01:20 AM)Wedge Wrote:  

Grand Canyon University?

I think Arizona State doesn't want to schedule Grand Canyon in any sport, but other Pac-12 teams have. USC beat Grand Canyon in a baseball game tonight (Monday). GCU also played at Arizona and Washington in baseball.

musta changed their minds:
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/...6cCHD.dpbs
(from 2013)
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 01:23 AM by john01992.)
05-20-2014 01:22 AM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

(05-20-2014 01:22 AM)john01992 Wrote:  
(05-20-2014 01:20 AM)Wedge Wrote:  

Grand Canyon University?

musta changed their minds:
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/...6cCHD.dpbs
(from 2013)

Must be a careless writer who didn't confirm what he wrote; maybe he talked to one guy at ASU who was blowing smoke, and didn't check with anyone else in the Pac-12.

Stanford played GCU in men's and women's soccer, both less than two months after that article was written. And a few other GCU sports played Pac-12 teams this year, per the GCU website.
05-20-2014 01:34 AM
lew240z Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wyoming
(05-20-2014 01:06 AM)john01992 Wrote:  
(05-20-2014 12:52 AM)lew240z Wrote:  CU stopped scheduling CSU after the 1958 game. CU only resumed playing CSU after the Colorado legislature passed a law requiring CU and CSU to play on a regular basis. While the law expired several years ago, the schools continue to play because it is a big payday for both when the game is at Mile High.

dude I will never look at that M the same way again.

on a side note Air Force & colorado have a spat resulting from the vietnam war protests and have never resumed the series.

like seriously WTF is wrong with this state. CU is the only school that I have ever heard of that went killed off BOTH of its major in state rivalries in the modern era.

Air Force has refused to schedule CU since the riots of 1975 and 1977 at Folsum. The peace loving hippies at CU twice attacked the Air Force football team, cadets and fans.

From 1910 until DU dropped football after the 1961 season, CU considered DU to be their biggest rival. Utah was CU's biggest out of state rival from 1910 to the mid 60's.

For some really interesting histories of Rocky Mountain area conference affiliations check out the Wikipedia pages for the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (one of the oldest continuously operating conferences) and the Mountain States (Skyline) Conference.
05-20-2014 01:34 AM
Wedge Offline

(05-20-2014 01:34 AM)lew240z Wrote:  Air Force has refused to schedule CU since the riots of 1975 and 1977 at Folsum.

Actually 1971 and 1973; here's the story from AFA's point of view: http://gazette.com/ramsey-if-gen.-clark-...le/1502576
05-20-2014 01:39 AM
mac6115cd Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
The "state" schools won't schedule other state schools for fear of losing.

Perfect example: Ohio State and Dayton BB. Unless they meet in the NCAA tourney, OSU will never schedule Dayton.

Also the reason they won't schedule Cincy or Xavier - fear. It proves they're not the best school in the state - everyone knows it, they just don't want it on display for the nation to see.

The reality is that OSU, UC, XU and UD should play every year. It would showcase the quality of BB in Ohio and would demonstrate that Ohio is not only a FB state, but BB, too.
05-20-2014 07:15 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
For all the inevitable complaints on this thread about "Mean old schools X is too scared to play team Y!"

Just refer to Coach Bill Self:

Quote:You understand that coaches schedule what’s in the best interest of their program. Nowhere does it say that they are obligated to schedule in the best interest of somebody else’s program that wants to play them.
05-20-2014 07:27 AM
Advertisement

MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
(05-20-2014 12:23 AM)dmacfour Wrote:  Boise State won't schedule Idaho. They say they're above us now, but they end up scheduling school like Southern Miss. A$$holes.

The in state schools on the same level scenario is rare.
Louisiana Tech had their highest attended on campus game vs Monroe. ULM has the lowest athletic budget and Tech hopes they drop. The reality is they could benefit each other especially in off years.

Boise State is hoping Idaho is forced to drop because of its isolation. The under sized stadium adds to the problem. The truth is the series is 20-17 BSU so close. Idaho schedules other MWC schools and Boise schedules SBC schools home and home.

Most of the time it is a P5 vs G5 thing which will get worse.
G5 on G5 crime really dumb UTEP , NMSU and New Mexico play each year . Three different conference's three basketball schools who are usually bad at football. Having those profitable out of conference games has to help at this level.
05-20-2014 07:35 AM
Hitch Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
The Maryland / Georgetown embargo appears to be thawing. The Terps have the Hoyas scheduled for soccer next year.
05-20-2014 08:33 AM
chuckk3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LaTech
(05-20-2014 12:06 AM)TStatebobcat Wrote:  LaTech refuses to schedule ULM on their terms, and ULM refuses to play LaTech on Tech's terms....

FIFY. Don't believe everything you read from SBC posters.

Remember there are two sides to every story.
05-20-2014 08:40 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Arkansas won't schedule any of the in-state Division I schools in any sport. Been several articles this year about how they are iffy for the NCAA baseball tournament despite a good resume because their weekday scheduling is so awful. Few schools are willing to go that far on a Tuesday or Wednesday except some really bad schools struggling for money.
05-20-2014 08:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.