Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mountain West Latest To Evaluate Scheduling BYU
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
The Mountain West is evaluating its scheduling philosophy regarding BYU, commissioner Craig Thompson told CBSSports.com on Monday.

The MWC becomes the third conference to consider how it views the FBS independent in terms of scheduling following moves by the SEC and the ACC in the last month. The Mountain West evaluation isn't necessarily a negative for BYU because, Thompson said, the Cougars might bring schedule strength to certain schools in his conference.

But coming after the SEC and the ACC announced BYU would not count as a Big Five team in their new scheduling philosophies, such a move by BYU's old MWC mates is sure to heighten concerns in Provo.

“We talked -- in context of the SEC and ACC conversations -- what does it mean to schedule BYU? We really have to think about our scheduling,” Thompson said.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...hedule-byu
05-19-2014 08:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
RE: Mountain West Latest To Evaluate Scheduling BYU
Sounds like an implied threat to BYU from the MWC
05-19-2014 09:00 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Breaking news: BYU joins the Sun Belt for football only.
05-19-2014 09:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Things didn't go as planned for the Cougs...
05-19-2014 09:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
Wow! If this is happening to BYU, just think how hard it will be for UMass to fill a schedule when they try going independent....

Notre Dame may be the last independent left soon.
05-19-2014 09:13 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Is this a power play by the MWC? Rejoin the MWC BYU or we will no longer schedule you? Is this decision based on the AAC commissioner stating that the AAC and BYU are getting closer to a scheduling alliance?
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2014 09:19 PM by PirateMarv.)
05-19-2014 09:18 PM
Advertisement

Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
(05-19-2014 09:18 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  Is this a power play by the MWC? Rejoin the MWC BYU or we will no longer schedule you? Is this decision based on the AAC commissioner stating that the AAC and BYU are getting closer to a scheduling alliance?

MWC don't schedule BYU so don't read into anything
05-19-2014 09:22 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

Okay wait, I'm confused. The ACC and SEC are making a rule that says their members must play one P5 opponent per year, and that led to the question of where the independents fall. Both conferences decided that ND counts but Army, BYU and Navy do not.

The Mountain West has no such rule. So what in the world are they evaluating?

Sounds like they are just taking an opportunity to drag BYU's name through the mud, because I can't see any other reason for them to make a public statement about scheduling BYU when they have no scheduling policy.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
05-19-2014 09:22 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(05-19-2014 09:22 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  
(05-19-2014 09:18 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  Is this a power play by the MWC? Rejoin the MWC BYU or we will no longer schedule you? Is this decision based on the AAC commissioner stating that the AAC and BYU are getting closer to a scheduling alliance?

Agreed. Hair is just trolling BYU.
05-19-2014 09:25 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
Utah state is in the conference,

so it would be rather interesting to see the MWC follow through with this threat while killing one of their in state rivalries. but at the same time BYU recently ended its rivalry with wyoming one of the last remaining charter members. A move that I am sure has many MWC members pissed off or worried. BYU is at its weakest right now and the MWC is picking a perfect time to take advantage. if the MWC could stop playing BYU and convince the Pac to do the same it would be game over for BYU.
05-19-2014 09:27 PM
BoiseStateOfMind Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BSU & Seahawks
Hair Thompson is bloviating once again. Good luck with this "evaluation" when both Boise and Utah State are perfectly okay with playing BYU every year.
05-19-2014 09:32 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(05-19-2014 09:27 PM)john01992 Wrote:  Utah state is in the conference,

so it would be rather interesting to see the MWC follow through with this threat while killing one of their in state rivalries. but at the same time BYU recently ended its rivalry with wyoming one of the last remaining charter members. A move that I am sure has many MWC members pissed off or worried. BYU is at its weakest right now and the MWC is picking a perfect time to take advantage. if the MWC could stop playing BYU and convince the Pac to do the same it would be game over for BYU.

How is it game over. Seems to me the MW is simply poisoning the well. They might just drive BYU towards the AAC.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2014 09:34 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-19-2014 09:33 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(05-19-2014 09:25 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(05-19-2014 09:22 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  

Agreed. Hair is just trolling BYU.

Typical of his behavior.
05-19-2014 09:36 PM
john01992 Offline

(05-19-2014 09:33 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

How is it game over. Seems to me the MW is simply poisoning the well. They might just drive BYU towards the AAC.

without the MWC BYU will have a hard time finding matchups from within its own timezone. it would essentially make them an outlier in a non existent conference.
05-19-2014 09:37 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-19-2014 09:37 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

without the MWC BYU will have a hard time finding matchups from within its own timezone. it would essentially make them an outlier in a non existent conference.

Wouldn't BYU still be able to get games against Utah, UTEP, NMSU, Colorado, Idaho etc.?
05-19-2014 09:49 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I hope the MW uses the strategy. I think it will work out very well for the AAC.
05-19-2014 10:18 PM
Advertisement

john01992 Offline

(05-19-2014 09:49 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  

Wouldn't BYU still be able to get games against Utah, UTEP, NMSU, Colorado, Idaho etc.?

UTEP/NMSU are farther away than most MWC schools. Utah & BYU only have one game scheduled in the future (2016). and I don't know what it is about CU & BYU but those schools rarely play. 12 games total despite being in the same conference for 30 years.
05-19-2014 10:26 PM
john01992 Offline

(05-19-2014 10:18 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

I hope the MW uses the strategy. I think it will work out very well for the AAC.

I still think BYU won't join the AAC for the same reason they won't join the MWC (not a power conference). if they are gonna bite this bullet and join an inferior conference to utah's conference, they might as well join the one they chartered and have numerous historical rivals in.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2014 10:29 PM by john01992.)
05-19-2014 10:28 PM
SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(05-19-2014 09:22 PM)Chappy Wrote:  Okay wait, I'm confused. The ACC and SEC are making a rule that says their members must play one P5 opponent per year, and that led to the question of where the independents fall. Both conferences decided that ND counts but Army, BYU and Navy do not.

Sounds like they are just taking an opportunity to drag BYU's name through the mud, because I can't see any other reason for them to make a public statement about scheduling BYU when they have no scheduling policy.

I agree......sounds like MWC just trying to get back at BYU for leaving
05-19-2014 10:30 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(05-19-2014 10:30 PM)SMUmustangs Wrote:  
(05-19-2014 09:22 PM)Chappy Wrote:  Okay wait, I'm confused. The ACC and SEC are making a rule that says their members must play one P5 opponent per year, and that led to the question of where the independents fall. Both conferences decided that ND counts but Army, BYU and Navy do not.

I agree......sounds like MWC just trying to get back at BYU for leaving

No, it's more like is it better to play another G5 conference team? Beating a G5 conference team helps the MW more than an Indy team to win the auto bid. We are competing against conferences not teams for the auto bid. A win over an AAC team does more for the conference than BYU.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2014 10:47 PM by MWC Tex.)
05-19-2014 10:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.