Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If BYU were to join the AAC in the future.
Purplehook Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
I know people love/ hate expansion threads so if you hate them don't comment. I think it is fun. 01-lauramac2

If BYU were to join in the future and we started a western division who would be YOUR choice of the other 3 schools added?

EAST

UConn
ECU
NAVY
TEMPLE
Cincy
Memphis
USF
UCF

WEST

Houston
SMU
Tulane
Tulsa
BYU
?
?
?

My Picks : SDSU, UNLV, and Fresno ST.
05-16-2014 08:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Purplehook Offline
1st String

RE: If BYU were to join the AAC in the future.
OR we could stay at 14 and add only 1
05-16-2014 08:23 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(05-16-2014 08:23 PM)Purplehook Wrote:  OR we could stay at 14 and add only 1

Perfect scenario is BYU and Army. Two teams that give instant tv value and ratings. ESPN would want to lock in a long term deal with that lineup.
05-16-2014 08:27 PM
Big Sierra Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: competition
It would be to costly for BYU to join the AAC. They would have to take a TV revenue cut at the same time added expenses for more Eastern travel.Their Oly sports would have to stay in lower conferences or indy which is killing their brand and reputation. The MWC would retaliate by not scheduling them. When you look at the football teams left in the AAC and their records. I would say the MWC looks better or at least as good. Next years records will show a much better comparison.
There was a time when the BE looked better for expansion to most MW teams but that ship has sailed.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2014 10:38 PM by Big Sierra.)
05-16-2014 09:47 PM
panicstricken Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
I dont think BYU really cares about a Western team.

They want to carry the Mormon brand to the biggest audience they can.
05-16-2014 10:00 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
(05-16-2014 10:00 PM)panicstricken Wrote:  I dont think BYU really cares about a Western team.

They want to carry the Mormon brand to the biggest audience they can.

Like Tulsa, Oklahoma
05-16-2014 10:02 PM
Advertisement

panicstricken Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
ORU has the "cult" market cornered in Tulsa.
05-16-2014 10:06 PM
NYCTUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(05-16-2014 08:27 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  

Perfect scenario is BYU and Army. Two teams that give instant tv value and ratings. ESPN would want to lock in a long term deal with that lineup.

These 2 gets my vote, no need to go past 14.
05-16-2014 10:11 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(05-16-2014 10:11 PM)NYCTUFan Wrote:  
(05-16-2014 08:27 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  

These 2 gets my vote, no need to go past 14.

I get the value Navy vs Army may bring, I'm just not sold with Army as football competitive member vs the rest of the AAC programs.
05-16-2014 10:39 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
Army will not join a conference
05-16-2014 10:41 PM
apex_pirate Offline
All American

(05-16-2014 09:47 PM)Big Sierra Wrote:  It would be to costly for BYU to join the AAC. They would have to take a TV revenue cut at the same time added expenses for more Eastern travel.Their Oly sports would have to stay in lower conferences or indy which is killing their brand and reputation. The MWC would retaliate by not scheduling them. When you look at the football teams left in the AAC and their records. I would say the MWC looks better or at least as good. Next years records will show a much better comparison.
There was a time when the BE looked better for expansion to most MW teams but that ship has sailed.

The TV thing would be the only obstacle. The other points you make aren't valid. BYU is already playing a large number of AAC teams. The cost of travel is written off in their quest to spread their faith. Their Oly teams already have to go all over. Again, BYU would foot the bill for marketing...however small the perceived gain. With an AAC scheduling alliance, I doubt the MWC acts as a collective unit to ban BYU from their scheduling. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. Not seeing the MWC as good as the AAC from top to bottom. Especially the top 5. With all that said, I don't see BYU joining the AAC.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2014 10:58 PM by apex_pirate.)
05-16-2014 10:56 PM
Advertisement

Big Sierra Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: competition
(05-16-2014 10:56 PM)apex_pirate Wrote:  
(05-16-2014 09:47 PM)Big Sierra Wrote:  It would be to costly for BYU to join the AAC. They would have to take a TV revenue cut at the same time added expenses for more Eastern travel.Their Oly sports would have to stay in lower conferences or indy which is killing their brand and reputation. The MWC would retaliate by not scheduling them. When you look at the football teams left in the AAC and their records. I would say the MWC looks better or at least as good. Next years records will show a much better comparison.

The TV thing would be the only obstacle. The other points you make aren't valid. BYU is already playing a large number of AAC teams. The cost of travel is written off in their quest to spread their faith. Their Oly teams already have to go all over. Again, BYU would foot the bill for marketing...however small the perceived gain. With an AAC scheduling alliance, I doubt the MWC acts as a collective unit to ban BYU from their scheduling. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. Not seeing the MWC as good as the AAC from top to bottom. Especially the top 5. With all that said, I don't see BYU joining the AAC.

Point 1. BYU will be playing 2 to 3 AAC teams as an independent vs 6-8 teams as a member that would be a huge financial hit.
2. The Oly teams are taking a hit not because of travel but because of their weaker conference competition and affiliation.
3. MWC teams not scheduling them is debatable. As of now only the newer teams to that conference are scheduling them. That could change.
4. You don't see the MWC as good as the 2014 AAC that's probably because your not comparing their 2013 records. Most the 2014 AAC is fairly recent CUSA . Only 3 BE teams.
Correction no Sun Belt teams. Meant to say the MAC - Temple
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2014 09:50 AM by Big Sierra.)
05-16-2014 11:18 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Exactly what sunbelt team is in AAC??
05-17-2014 07:13 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
I know Army has not been good recently, but honestly I would not mind seeing them on the schedule again so if they wanted to join (which I don't think they do) I'd take them in a heartbeat.

But I still don't understand how the Army-Navy game could be incorporated into the conference schedule.

I assume moving it up two weeks would kill it's ratings, as it would suddenly have competition for viewers.
05-17-2014 07:38 AM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
(05-17-2014 07:13 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Exactly what sunbelt team is in AAC??
05-17-2014 08:21 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
I guess, technically, South Florida and UCF?
05-17-2014 08:35 AM
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(05-17-2014 08:35 AM)Chappy Wrote:  I guess, technically, South Florida and UCF?

UCF and USf never played football in the sunbelt. I think ucf played like 1 or 2 seasons in other sports years ago and financially it was a diaster.
05-17-2014 08:52 AM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
Well if we're looking that far back, it's fair to say we have an SEC champion in the conference.
05-17-2014 09:00 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(05-16-2014 08:27 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  Perfect scenario is BYU and Army. Two teams that give instant tv value and ratings. ESPN would want to lock in a long term deal with that lineup.

I agree.
05-17-2014 09:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Not saying BYU would join AAC but people are making too much of the travel issues. If its football only it would mean FOUR away games a year for them. And for the AAC schools it would be at most ONE game at BYU every two years. Already UConn,Houston and UCF are visiting Provo so not a big deal.

The advantage the AAC has over the MWC are bigger market schools and better names.
SMU and Houston were members of the old SWC
UConn,USF and UC were members of Big East
Navy is a national brand

Air Force is the only team in MWC with similar credentials. You could add Boise because of their recent success. But they have no schools that were in leagues with the current P5

I don't see BYU joining any conference now, but they'll be keeping a close eye on the next three years on how this new deal affect their scheduling and Big a bowl access. If they see the MWC or AAC champ making that BCS bowl on a consistent basis while they are relegated to the Miami Beach or Poinsetta Bowls it could get them thinking.

I think Aresco is playing it very smartly by creating ties with them
05-17-2014 09:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.