Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What if the NCAA added one more regular season game but......
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
What if the NCAA added one more regular season game but......
mandate that it must be a home game against an FCS program.

Every single scheduling problem with 8/9/10 conference game slates or p5 vs p5 and G5 vs P5 OOC scheduling, always seems to originate with that extra home game that no one in the p5 wants to give up.

If the PAC/b10 agreed to go to 10 games and the ACC/SEC/B12 go to 9 games + a P5 school OOC that would eliminate so many scheduling problems.

it would end all the "FCS needs these paydays" arguments as well. it would keep FCS programs in the loop without FBS programs worrying about SOS with the CFB and would satisfy a number of politicians.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2014 05:43 PM by john01992.)
05-16-2014 05:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
RE: What if the NCAA added one more regular season game but......
What if they went the other way and completely eliminated FCS games. There will be 128 FBS schools. Shouldn't be that hard to schedule anymore. Drop the number of scholarships in FCS to 50. That would make it much cheaper to run FCS programs and eliminate much of the need for so many pay day games.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2014 05:52 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-16-2014 05:51 PM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
Better yet raise the scholarship numbers to 115 or put no cap on the number and let it play out.

That's my vote, I hope they raise the number of scholarships we can hand out.
05-16-2014 05:56 PM
john01992 Offline

(05-16-2014 05:51 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  What if they went the other way and completely eliminated FCS games. There will be 128 FBS schools. Shouldn't be that hard to schedule anymore. Drop the number of scholarships in FCS to 50. That would make it much cheaper to run FCS programs and eliminate much of the need for so many pay day games.

while I hate FCS teams playing FBS teams. the real issue being solved has to do with conference dodging in the sec, acc, & b10. I only see FCS as the solution in a hard to solve problem in this scenario.

it is "two birds with one stone" but one bird is a much bigger prize.
05-16-2014 06:04 PM
Advertisement

Lurker Above Offline
1st String

I Root For: UGA
(05-16-2014 06:04 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(05-16-2014 05:51 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  What if they went the other way and completely eliminated FCS games. There will be 128 FBS schools. Shouldn't be that hard to schedule anymore. Drop the number of scholarships in FCS to 50. That would make it much cheaper to run FCS programs and eliminate much of the need for so many pay day games.

while I hate FCS teams playing FBS teams. the real issue being solved has to do with conference dodging in the sec, acc, & b10. I only see FCS as the solution in a hard to solve problem in this scenario.

04-bs

I'm sure your coach is dang glad he does not have to play 8 SEC games.
05-16-2014 07:45 PM
john01992 Offline

(05-16-2014 07:45 PM)Lurker Above Wrote:  

04-bs

yeah......

kentucky, mississippi state, florida, arkansas, & tennessee were just brutal last year. how many times has bama skipped UGA, florida, & Scar in the last couple of years?
05-16-2014 07:56 PM
Lurker Above Offline
1st String

I Root For: UGA
(05-16-2014 07:56 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

04-bs

yeah......

kentucky, mississippi state, florida, arkansas, & tennessee were just brutal last year. how many times has bama skipped UGA, florida, & Scar in the last couple of years?

SU would have a losing record against those five. Just saying.
05-16-2014 08:16 PM
Advertisement

pablowow Offline
1st String

I Root For: TULANE/AAC
(05-16-2014 05:56 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  Better yet raise the scholarship numbers to 115 or put no cap on the number and let it play out.

That's my vote, I hope they raise the number of scholarships we can hand out.

Your school would be at a huge disadvantage. With only 8,000 students and an admissions office that is strict. You would be severely limited on your numbers compared to the large public schools
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2014 08:28 PM by pablowow.)
05-16-2014 08:26 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
(05-16-2014 08:16 PM)Lurker Above Wrote:  

04-bs

yeah......

We sucked last season.
05-16-2014 08:28 PM
john01992 Offline

(05-16-2014 08:16 PM)Lurker Above Wrote:  

04-bs

yeah......

1. what an amazing comeback. you dodged that question just as good as nickie boy dodges the top teams from the SEC East

2. if SU played all 5 last season?????

I say we pull out a 3-2 record.

UK & arky were pretty bad last year and there is no way we can't pull away with at least one win from the other 3.
05-16-2014 08:36 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(05-16-2014 05:51 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  What if they went the other way and completely eliminated FCS games.

In hoops, D-I teams are allowed to play up to two non D-I teams each season. The games don't count against the max number of D-I games and don't count in the D-I team's record. They are exhibitions.

Do it in a similar way for football: Let each FBS team play one non-FBS team (including FCS) each year, deem it an exhibition, and don't count it against the FBS team's 12-game regular season quota. The FBS team can include the game in their season ticket package and charge their season ticket holders for it, like NFL teams include their exhibition home games in their season ticket packages.
05-16-2014 08:52 PM
john01992 Offline

(05-16-2014 08:52 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(05-16-2014 05:51 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  What if they went the other way and completely eliminated FCS games.

In hoops, D-I teams are allowed to play up to two non D-I teams each season. The games don't count against the max number of D-I games and don't count in the D-I team's record. They are exhibitions.

Do it in a similar way for football: Let each FBS team play one non-FBS team (including FCS) each year, deem it an exhibition, and don't count it against the FBS team's 12-game regular season quota. The FBS team can include the game in their season ticket package and charge their season ticket holders for it, like NFL teams include their exhibition home games in their season ticket packages.

thats a great idea, but unfortunately none of those exhibition games ever garner high interest.

the point of the idea in the OP is for teams to retain the revenue of a home game and I dont see that happening if the home game is written off as an exhibition.
05-16-2014 09:16 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
The NCAA itself wont be passing any such mandates in the future.
05-16-2014 10:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.