Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Christian Coalition: Double Standard Between Reactions For Sam, Tebow
EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
Christian Coalition: Double Standard Between Reactions For Sam, Tebow
Glad to see this being pointed out....Now let the Christian bashing begin.

Quote:ST. LOUIS (CBS St. Louis) — The complexion of the National Football League changed last Saturday after Michael Sam became the first openly gay player to be drafted.

People worldwide saw the video of Sam getting emotional on the phone talking to St. Louis Rams head coach Jeff Fisher after getting picked, then embracing and kissing his boyfriend, Vito Cammisano.

Sam getting drafted and the kiss were mainly met with positive results, though there were some detractors. Both the Miami Dolphins’ Don Jones and former Mississippi basketball player Marshall Henderson took to Twitter to denounce Sam kissing his boyfriend during the NFL Draft broadcast.

ESPN producer Seth Markman, who oversaw the network’s draft coverage, called it an emotional and historic moment.

“In the end, I am glad our team made the decision we did,” he told The Monday Morning Quarterback regarding showing the kiss on air. “It was a really cool moment to be involved in.”

With the league and the media seemingly embracing Sam, attention has turned to a player that’s not currently playing – Tim Tebow – and raising questions if there is a double standard on how the two were received and treated.

Tebow, who last appeared for the New England Patriots during training camp in 2013, sat out the season after no other team decided to sign him. Despite his previous success, Tebow has been slammed for his play and mocked by some for his Christian beliefs in some media outlets.

Peter Roff, a contributing editor at U.S. News & World Report, wrote in April 2013 that Tebow was treated like a “circus freak” by the New York media after he was traded by the Denver Broncos to the New York Jets.

“Tebow, you see, is a Christian – and is fairly open about. He seems to take the Biblical admonition not to hide one’s faith under a bushel rather literally,” Roff wrote. “He’s used eye black to put scriptural citations on his face on game days. He prays in public and talks about God in an utterly respectful, even loving way. He and his mother appeared in a Superbowl Sunday television ad that talked about the virtues of life and directed people to a website where they could learn more about abortion.

“The secular crowd, New York sports writers included, have never forgiven him for any of that,” Roff continued. “When he arrived at the Meadowlands he was treated more like a circus freak than the guy who helped Denver make the playoffs the previous year and might just be the thing to get the Jets offense in line.”

The New York Times reported in 2011 about the constant criticism Tebow received.

“One columnist in Denver called Tebow the worst quarterback in football,” reported the Times. “Another columnist in Canada labeled Tebow the ‘Kim Kardashian of sports,’ for the intense reaction he elicited. Online, the torrent of mockery and criticism has been fierce. Blog posts included ‘God explains why he let Tim Tebow fail’ and Twitter exploded in hateful vitriol, to which the Sports Illustrated writer Joe Posnanski mused: ‘I believe Tim Tebow isn’t an N.F.L. starter and I want him to prove me wrong because I believe he’s a great guy. Is that allowed?’”

The Christian Coalition of America told CBS St. Louis that there is a double standard of how Tebow’s religious beliefs were mocked compared to how Sam was received.

“I think that there was so much pressure on (Tebow) and that anytime you zero in on someone they can be open to mistakes,” said Michele Combs, spokeswoman for the Christian Coalition. “I do think that the pressure gets to you. I think that a lot of people wanted to see him fail unfortunately.”

Combs stated that there was a bias toward Christianity.

“I just think it’s amazing when someone talks about his religion, especially being a Christian, they are not embraced by the media or the Hollywood elite,” Combs said, adding that Americans do want to see Tebow get treated fairly.

“I think it’s just a certain elite group that has a lot of power and gets a lot of media’s attention,” she said. “I think a majority of Americans would like to see someone like Tim Tebow get the same equal treatment (as Sam).”

Wade Davis, executive director of You Can Play, doesn’t believe that there is a double standard between the reactions of Sam and Tebow.

“I don’t think either one was treated differently,” Davis, the former NFL player who came out as gay in 2012, told CBS St. Louis. “Unfortunately we live in a society where there is no middle ground, you either support or hate someone.”

Davis stated that fans don’t understand the business side to football as to why a player like Tebow is not in the league currently.

“If you sit back and understand the game of football, you will understand why he will be cut,” Davis explained.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2014/05/14/c...sam-tebow/
05-15-2014 10:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
RE: Christian Coalition: Double Standard Between Reactions For Sam, Tebow
This is so obvious, there isn't anything to discuss.

Only a total nincompoop would try to deny that a double standard exists. Then again, maybe they'll argue that the double standard is justified.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2014 11:13 AM by QuestionSocratic.)
05-15-2014 11:12 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
03-lol

If you were to read this quote, would it even remotely raise question in your mind as to its truthfulness?
Quote:“I think that there is so much pressure on (Sam) and that anytime you zero in on someone they can be open to mistakes,” said any spokeswoman for the Gay Coalition. “I do think that the pressure gets to you. I think that a lot of people want to see him fail unfortunately.”

As a Christian, I'm offended by this personally. The reason Tebow became a pariah was because the media went too far in their promotion of the goodness of Tim...and that turned many sour on him.

You have to separate the criticism of his playing ability after it was discovered from what happened before he plays.

Sam isn't too that point. If we find out that Sam stinks as a player, but gets to play anyway, you'll see the same sort of backlash that Tebow got...for his playing ability.

There is no double standard.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2014 11:51 AM by Redwingtom.)
05-15-2014 11:51 AM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
(05-15-2014 11:51 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  03-lol

If you were to read this quote, would it even remotely raise question in your mind as to its truthfulness?
Quote:“I think that there is so much pressure on (Sam) and that anytime you zero in on someone they can be open to mistakes,” said any spokeswoman for the Gay Coalition. “I do think that the pressure gets to you. I think that a lot of people want to see him fail unfortunately.”

As a Christian, I'm offended by this personally. The reason Tebow became a pariah was because the media went too far in their promotion of the goodness of Tim...and that turned many sour on him.

You have to separate the criticism of his playing ability after it was discovered from what happened before he plays.

Sam isn't too that point. If we find out that Sam stinks as a player, but gets to play anyway, you'll see the same sort of backlash that Tebow got...for his playing ability.

The spokesman has spoken.
05-15-2014 11:53 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
What the **** do you clowns want? This is a message board. Excuse ******* me that I have an opinion on something.

I know this is hard for you to fathom, but not everyone shares your far right whacked out opinions. And I'm the one in the middle here. Deal with that! 03-lol
05-15-2014 12:01 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!

welcome to the mindset of the right. they are so hellbent on finding a double standard that they fail to see clearly in the sam/tebow case.

when sam goes on a super bowl TV ad pushing LGBT agenda ==> then we can have this conversation.

when sam becomes the most covered NFL player despite having the worst stats for his position ==> then we can have this conversation.
05-15-2014 12:05 PM
Advertisement

JDTulane Online
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
I can see the similarities but Sam will have a way rougher road in his personal life. The vitriolic hatred is also more directed at him. Tebow haters disliked Tebow's prosletyzing. Sam isn't doing that. He's literally being himself.

So a decent comparison for conversations sake but not the same, and not really a double standard to me.
05-15-2014 12:11 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(05-15-2014 12:05 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

welcome to the mindset of the right. they are so hellbent on finding a double standard that they fail to see clearly in the sam/tebow case.

when sam goes on a super bowl TV ad pushing LGBT agenda ==> then we can have this conversation.

when sam becomes the most covered NFL player despite having the worst stats for his position ==> then we can have this conversation.

Gay kissing over cake while ESPN analyst fawn over them is pushing the LGBT agenda...

Let's start the conversation..

When Sam helps lead his teams to playoff wins and is then trashed by the owner, traded, and spat upon by the media Im sure GLAAD will stand by and say "Maybe he was just not that good"..
05-15-2014 12:15 PM
EpicNiner Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
(05-15-2014 11:51 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  The reason Tebow became a pariah was because the media went too far in their promotion of the goodness of Tim...and that turned many sour on him.

I think this was true for me and many of the people I've spoken to. I thought Tim Tebow was a wonderful person and didn't have a problem with his religious side (players often pray or make religious gestures). My problem was that he seemed to get too many chances based on the fact that he was a good person, not based on his on the field performance.

I will feel the same way about Sam if he gets on the field and sucks it up but is continually given more chances.

EDIT: I thought Tebow would have been great if moved to a different position, maybe FB or TE.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2014 12:21 PM by EpicNiner.)
05-15-2014 12:16 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(05-15-2014 12:11 PM)JDTulane Wrote:  I can see the similarities but Sam will have a way rougher road in his personal life. The vitriolic hatred is also more directed at him. Tebow haters disliked Tebow's prosletyzing. Sam isn't doing that. He's literally being himself.

To a Christian talking about Christ *IS* being yourself..
05-15-2014 12:16 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(05-15-2014 12:15 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

Gay kissing over cake while ESPN analyst fawn over them is pushing the LGBT agenda...

When Sam helps lead his teams to playoff wins and is then trashed by the owner, traded, and spat upon by the media Im sure GLAAD will stand by and say "Maybe he was just not that good"..

you are such a dumb***
05-15-2014 12:19 PM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(05-15-2014 12:16 PM)EpicNiner Wrote:  
(05-15-2014 11:51 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  The reason Tebow became a pariah was because the media went too far in their promotion of the goodness of Tim...and that turned many sour on him.

I think this was true for me and many of the people I've spoken to. I thought Tim Tebow was a wonderful person and didn't have a problem with his religious side (players often pray or make religious gestures). My problem was that he seemed to get too many chances based on the fact that he was a good person, not based on his on the field performance.

I will feel the same way about Sam if he gets on the field and sucks it up but is continually given more chances.

Sun 1/8 vs PIT
W 29-23 (OT) 10 21 316 47.6 15.05 80 2 0 97.7 125.6 10 50 5.0 11 1TD

Tebow was not a world class or even a very good NFL quarterback but he was certainly serviceable and was getting better as he nailed down his footwork..

He was a 2nd year guy in 2012..
05-15-2014 12:19 PM
EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
(05-15-2014 12:19 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(05-15-2014 12:15 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

you are such a dumb***

Class response.
05-15-2014 12:38 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
If Sam doesn't work out, he'll face the same media that Tebow did.

Media attention + massive overrate = backlash
05-15-2014 12:43 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(05-15-2014 12:19 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(05-15-2014 12:15 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Gay kissing over cake while ESPN analyst fawn over them is pushing the LGBT agenda...

you are such a dumb***

How is that statement wrong?

Their actions, the overreaction in penalizing an OMG tweet, and the fawning media are not propaganda how?
05-15-2014 12:46 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(05-15-2014 12:43 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  If Sam doesn't work out, he'll face the same media that Tebow did.

Media attention + massive overrate = backlash

If he does not work out the media will spin it as being because the culture of the NFL did not empower him to succeed... Bank on it..

There will be a media circus but its going to paint Sam as the victim...
05-15-2014 12:47 PM
Advertisement

AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

I Root For: Braves
I still think there is a chance of a really, really, really good catfishing going on here.
05-15-2014 12:47 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

Disclaimer... Until Tebow hate become the thing to do on the left I really did not care for the guy one way or the other..
05-15-2014 12:48 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(05-15-2014 12:19 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(05-15-2014 12:16 PM)EpicNiner Wrote:  

Sun 1/8 vs PIT
W 29-23 (OT) 10 21 316 47.6 15.05 80 2 0 97.7 125.6 10 50 5.0 11 1TD

Tebow was not a world class or even a very good NFL quarterback but he was certainly serviceable and was getting better as he nailed down his footwork..

He was a 2nd year guy in 2012..

I think that would've been all well and good if he was treated like a serviceable QB. The media made him a savior, the Jets paid way too much for him, the media followed his every move in NY (covering him more than the Super Bowl Champion Giants), he did nothing that year (not his fault), and was untradeable.
05-15-2014 01:00 PM
AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

I Root For: Braves
(05-15-2014 12:48 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Disclaimer... Until Tebow hate become the thing to do on the left I really did not care for the guy one way or the other..

Although nothing like what Tebow went through, David Robinson
received a bit of grief over his Christian lifestyle.
05-15-2014 01:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.