Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

McMurphy: ACC considering playing other ACC schools as OOC games
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/...4780904449

So to fix scheduling/possible rivalry issues that fans are pleading for this could be the solution.

UL vs VTech
FSU vs GTECH
Clemson vs Miami
and so on, more often
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2014 08:06 AM by dgrace4cards.)
05-14-2014 07:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ragu Offline
All American

I Root For: FAU/FSU
RE: McMurphy: ACC considering playing other ACC schools as OOC games
It takes a home game away from teams needing more revenue and it takes flexibility away out of conference.

A good conference should maximize its assets and not force teams to do this as a last resort.

That said if FSU is having a hard time scheduling and has to pick a home and home vs a team like South Florida or going with GT, I would go with GT in that instance. And this just happened since Georgia and other SEC teams have ducked FSU even for neutral site games in their home states (like ATL for a Georgia/FSU matchup)
05-14-2014 07:49 AM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
Ok, everyone thought this was stupid yesterday when I suggested it. So I'm not any dumber than the ADs 03-wink

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
05-14-2014 07:58 AM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I do wonder if this will only be a last resort type situation....or made for tv games for the ACC Network such as the 3 I suggested above.
05-14-2014 08:06 AM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

McMurphy also tweeted that Big 10 looking at doing same thing.
05-14-2014 08:07 AM
Ragu Offline
All American

(05-14-2014 07:58 AM)ren.hoek Wrote:  Ok, everyone thought this was stupid yesterday when I suggested it. So I'm not any dumber than the ADs 03-wink

It still is stupid. It makes little sense to have a conference matchup that doesnt count in the standings. It would only need to be done because this stupid conference has such ass backwards divisions.

EDIT: Put it this way. If teams want this, why wouldnt they just go to 9 conference games and make it 2 guaranteed crossovers? Same thing except it would count in the standings.

That is why it makes little sense to fight for 8 and then turn around and schedule a conference opponent OOC a lot.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2014 08:20 AM by Ragu.)
05-14-2014 08:13 AM
Advertisement

Ragu Offline
All American

(05-14-2014 08:07 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  McMurphy also tweeted that Big 10 looking at doing same thing.

Prob so Indiana and Minnesota can schedule each other.
05-14-2014 08:14 AM
LUcanesfan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Flames / Canes
On Miami's end, I could see Miami desiring to play BC, Syracuse and Clemson as OOC foes...

I know Louisville would probably want to play us, but with Strong gone, I don't know if their desire to play in Miami would be as great. Hey Cards, is Bobby P. trying to keep the Miami pipeline open?
05-14-2014 08:20 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(05-14-2014 07:49 AM)Ragu Wrote:  It takes a home game away from teams needing more revenue and it takes flexibility away out of conference.

A good conference should maximize its assets and not force teams to do this as a last resort.

That said if FSU is having a hard time scheduling and has to pick a home and home vs a team like South Florida or going with GT, I would go with GT in that instance. And this just happened since Georgia and other SEC teams have ducked FSU even for neutral site games in their home states (like ATL for a Georgia/FSU matchup)

It doesn't have to do this. If you are going to schedule P5 opponent OOC, you are going to have to do it on a home and home basis. It would be no different if another ACC school was your P5 opponent. The difference is that the ACC opponent would probably be a bigger draw, and for schools that don't sell out regularly, that matters.

Nobody is saying every ACC school would have to, or want to, do this. Schools like FSU and Miami aren't going to have trouble finding a suitable OOC opponent. But schools like Duke and NC State might find this a reasonable way to continue a long standing rivalry derailed by the current division alignment.
05-14-2014 08:21 AM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

(05-14-2014 08:20 AM)LUcanesfan Wrote:  On Miami's end, I could see Miami desiring to play BC, Syracuse and Clemson as OOC foes...

I know Louisville would probably want to play us, but with Strong gone, I don't know if their desire to play in Miami would be as great. Hey Cards, is Bobby P. trying to keep the Miami pipeline open?

I think more likely just Florida in general, that was his style the first go around for him. We focused on the state but not just the city of Miami...we have Terrell Buckley and Lamar Thomas on staff so I'm sure our presence will be down there quiet a bit.
05-14-2014 08:22 AM
DXcuse Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Syracuse
If ACC teams are going to schedule each other OCC why not just play 9 conference games with 2 rivalry crossovers and 1 rotating?

This would allow for FSU-GT and other current rivalry gaps caused by divisions. I don't think schools need anymore than 2 rivalry crossovers to fix any issues.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
05-14-2014 08:22 AM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Danny is right. Florida has been a Louisville recruiting area since Howard came to Louisville. HWSNBN got away from it during his tenure after Bobby The 1st and before Coach Strong's tenure. Now that we are at the beginning of Bobby II he will work to keep the pipeline open and expand it.
CJ
05-14-2014 08:29 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I like playing ACC teams OOC. It keeps ACC money with ACC teams, in ACC states. As I posted on the other board, why switch conferences to line the pockets of your former conference? Doesn't make a lot of sense to play some stiff from the bottom of FBS when you can play a conference mate.
CJ
05-14-2014 08:32 AM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
B10 also discussing this
05-14-2014 08:39 AM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

It kinda makes you wonder, why not just go to the 9 game schedule, with the focus of that 9th game being the "missing rivalry/fan interest game"???

UL vs VTech
FSU vs GTECH
Clemson vs Miami
feel free to toss in more of the "missing games" that we could just call the 9th game.
05-14-2014 08:50 AM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

very respectfully disagree. have them at a neutral site so both teams get the revenue of a homegame, keep money in the acc, and market them as a grudge match or some other catchy name. have one on labor day (prime time, only college game on tv), one in october in honor of breast cancer awareness month (attracts attention, $ponsors, etc.) and one on veteran's day. if the acc does those things, it would be a fun thing to watch.

(05-14-2014 08:13 AM)Ragu Wrote:  
(05-14-2014 07:58 AM)ren.hoek Wrote:  Ok, everyone thought this was stupid yesterday when I suggested it. So I'm not any dumber than the ADs 03-wink

It still is stupid. It makes little sense to have a conference matchup that doesnt count in the standings. It would only need to be done because this stupid conference has such ass backwards divisions.

EDIT: Put it this way. If teams want this, why wouldnt they just go to 9 conference games and make it 2 guaranteed crossovers? Same thing except it would count in the standings.

That is why it makes little sense to fight for 8 and then turn around and schedule a conference opponent OOC a lot.
05-14-2014 08:50 AM
Advertisement

Ragu Offline
All American

A neutral site game is still not going to generate as much as a home game in these matchups. Plus neutral site games with teams in the same conference has to be one of the dumber ideas that I have ever heard.
05-14-2014 08:55 AM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

don't hold back, tell me how you really feel 03-cool

(05-14-2014 08:55 AM)Ragu Wrote:  A neutral site game is still not going to generate as much as a home game in these matchups. Plus neutral site games with teams in the same conference has to be one of the dumber ideas that I have ever heard.
05-14-2014 08:56 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(05-14-2014 08:55 AM)Ragu Wrote:  A neutral site game is still not going to generate as much as a home game in these matchups. Plus neutral site games with teams in the same conference has to be one of the dumber ideas that I have ever heard.

The Worlds Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party says hello from Jacksonville....

Georgia and Florida do it every year.
05-14-2014 08:59 AM
Ragu Offline
All American

(05-14-2014 08:59 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  

The Worlds Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party says hello from Jacksonville....

Georgia and Florida do it every year.

Yeah I was talking about teams in the ACC more. Great you have one example. There are a few exceptions.

That is apples and oranges to an entire conference doing it with other teams in their sames conference.

Plus comparing Florida/Georgia to any potential OOC ones here is a joke That is UF's 2nd bigest rivalry game and it is huge.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2014 09:03 AM by Ragu.)
05-14-2014 09:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.