Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Aresco: AAC Teams Might Have Chance to Play SEC Teams
HoustonRocks Offline
1st String

I Root For: HoustonCougars
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...cs-8-games

Bowlsby said the Big 12 has no plans to switch back to a championship game.
“Does that mean we'd never consider it? We might at some time,” he said.
“Right now, I don't think our athletics directors or our coaches would favor it.
We like our path to the national championship playoff.”

I think it still gives us an opportunity to play them(SEC),” American commissioner Mike Aresco said.
“We argue strength of schedule will be very critical, and when you only play eight games with 14 teams,
you'll probably be subject to more scrutiny. You can play several of our teams and get real credit for it.”
05-11-2014 12:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
RE: Aresco: AAC Teams Might Have Chance to Play SEC Teams
(05-11-2014 12:32 PM)HoustonRocks Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...cs-8-games

“Right now, I don't think our athletics directors or our coaches would favor it.

I think it still gives us an opportunity to play them(SEC),” American commissioner Mike Aresco said.
“We argue strength of schedule will be very critical, and when you only play eight games with 14 teams,
you'll probably be subject to more scrutiny. You can play several of our teams and get real credit for it.”

But will they? I wonder if the AAC replaces the "cupcake game" that they (SEC) schedule in the middle of conference season.
05-11-2014 03:24 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(05-11-2014 03:24 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 12:32 PM)HoustonRocks Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...cs-8-games

But will they? I wonder if the AAC replaces the "cupcake game" that they (SEC) schedule in the middle of conference season.

I wouldn't mind that. Houston has played Mississippi State and Bama when Keenum was running the show. Won in Starkville and almost had the win against Saban.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2014 03:30 PM by BigEastHomer.)
05-11-2014 03:28 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats

Sure... AAC teams will get a chance to play SEC teams provided:
1) You are willing to play AT the SEC stadium and...
2) You don't ask for a return engagement.

I could totally see the AAC filling a need for the "one-and-done" type games at places like Gainseville, Baton Rouge, College Station, Knoxville, etc...
05-11-2014 03:43 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
SMU gets 2-1 deals from A&M. They play at SMU this year
05-11-2014 04:03 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(05-11-2014 03:43 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

Sure... AAC teams will get a chance to play SEC teams provided:
1) You are willing to play AT the SEC stadium and...
2) You don't ask for a return engagement.

I could totally see the AAC filling a need for the "one-and-done" type games at places like Gainseville, Baton Rouge, College Station, Knoxville, etc...

You hit it on the head 100% Jerry. Now maybe ECU could get a South Carolina game in Charlotte like in the past. Or Arkansas would do a 2 for 1 with SMU with the "home game" for SMU in the Cotton Bowl. There could be a few opportunities like that. 04-cheers
05-11-2014 04:11 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(05-11-2014 12:32 PM)HoustonRocks Wrote:  I think it still gives us an opportunity to play them(SEC),” American commissioner Mike Aresco said.

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
05-11-2014 04:20 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(05-11-2014 04:03 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  SMU gets 2-1 deals from A&M. They play at SMU this year

Pony, that deal was negotiated in the past.
And of course, for every rule there will be an exception. But in generality...especially if the AAC is going to take the "cupcake" slot mentioned above...it will be predominately in the "one and done" home game scenario. At least in FB. You may be able to be creative as UC was in dealing with Michigan, and parlay it into a wider deal with other sports.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2014 04:23 PM by BearcatJerry.)
05-11-2014 04:22 PM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Personally, I don't care if we play SEC teams or not.
05-11-2014 04:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(05-11-2014 04:42 PM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  Personally, I don't care if we play SEC teams or not.

Why not? Take a one and done against Tenn or Vandy or Kentucky and beat the snot out of em! 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2014 06:30 PM by billybobby777.)
05-11-2014 06:29 PM
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
(05-11-2014 04:03 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  SMU gets 2-1 deals from A&M. They play at SMU this year

Believe it was a 2-2.
05-11-2014 07:22 PM
Advertisement

msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
I think you will see 2-1 one deals with a reasonable buyout option or for lower G5 at the stadium P5 stadium only. I think people are reading way too much into strength of schedule. SOS will come down for the four playoff teams. More than likely undefeated or 1 Loss P5 Champions will be in the playoffs. When it comes to 2 loss teams, SOS will be used to put in teams over P5 Conference Champs. Just my guess, we will see when the committee actually is on the stage.
05-11-2014 08:21 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-11-2014 08:21 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  I think you will see 2-1 one deals with a reasonable buyout option or for lower G5 at the stadium P5 stadium only. I think people are reading way too much into strength of schedule. SOS will come down for the four playoff teams. More than likely undefeated or 1 Loss P5 Champions will be in the playoffs. When it comes to 2 loss teams, SOS will be used to put in teams over P5 Conference Champs. Just my guess, we will see when the committee actually is on the stage.

One---SEC one and dones are of no value to the AAC. They do not beef up our network imventory and are not likely to help our SOS any more than a game vs any other P5 school.

Two--The selection committee has made it clear that SOS will be paramount and the BEST team will be selected--not the most deserving team. In other words--undefeated doesn't mean a thing. If the committee thinks a 2-loss team will wipe the floor with an undefeated team----then the 2 loss team will get the slot. Translation--going undefeated against cupcakes will no longer guarantee a thing.

Everyone thinking you can lineup tomato cans, go undefeated, and automatically be awarded the G5 BCS slot are simply not listening.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 01:11 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-11-2014 10:11 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
an AAC could easily play an SEC team, but as it was said earlier it is just a question of what are the best terms possible that the aac team can get.
05-11-2014 10:37 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(05-11-2014 10:37 PM)john01992 Wrote:  an AAC could easily play an SEC team, but as it was said earlier it is just a question of what are the best terms possible that the aac team can get.

I don't even think that's the question. The question is who will play us on a home and home basis or at least give us a 2 for one. Playing one and done road games is of no value to the conference and should be avoided at all cost.
05-11-2014 11:16 PM
Brian Reading Offline
Special Teams

(05-11-2014 11:16 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 10:37 PM)john01992 Wrote:  an AAC could easily play an SEC team, but as it was said earlier it is just a question of what are the best terms possible that the aac team can get.

I don't even think that's the question. The question is who will play us on a home and home basis or at least give us a 2 for one. Playing one and done road games is of no value to the conference and should be avoided at all cost.

Yep. Hey, FCS schools have no problem scheduling one and dones with SEC schools. I don't think it speaks very well for our conference when we would be bragging about being able to do the same thing any FCS school could do.
05-12-2014 12:17 AM
Advertisement

grapes Offline
GTG

I Root For: MEMPHIS/AAC
(05-11-2014 06:29 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 04:42 PM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  Personally, I don't care if we play SEC teams or not.

Why not? Take a one and done against Tenn or Vandy or Kentucky and beat the snot out of em! 04-cheers

Im pretty sure we're going to start playing Mississippi for awhile, we're already playing them this year and next and iv herd a lot of word that we could play them also in 16 and 17.

In 2017 we could possibly play 2 SEC schools (UT & Ole Miss)
And we even have Mizzou in 18 & 19.

Idk if we will ever have another year we're we dont play an SEC school 03-weeping
05-12-2014 12:33 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Well, you can mark it down that Kentucky won't play Cincinnati. The Wildcats have refused to play UC since they got flogged by the Bearcats back in the 90s. It is a darn shame because the schools are so close I proximity. I would imagine Vanderbilt and Tennessee will not play UC either (as long as Butch Jones is still in Knoxville).
05-12-2014 04:43 AM
mac6115cd Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
Given that there's been only one undefeated team per year over the past two seasons, I expect to see a lot of 1-loss teams fighting for the other 3 playoff positions; therefore, SOS will be important.

That could give us an opportunity for home and home games however, no team contending for a playoff spot wants to play an AAC team where they could lose. So, I could see the bottom half of the conference playing SEC teams while the top half goes wanting (or only playing non-contending P5 schools).

It will be interesting to see what develops.
05-12-2014 05:05 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(05-12-2014 12:17 AM)Brian Reading Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 11:16 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Yep. Hey, FCS schools have no problem scheduling one and dones with SEC schools. I don't think it speaks very well for our conference when we would be bragging about being able to do the same thing any FCS school could do.

Brian, Memphis's colors are blue & gray, not blue & white.
05-12-2014 07:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.