Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How much is Memphis willing to pay the Lawsons?
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
How much is Memphis willing to pay the Lawsons?
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketba...-candidate

The father of current Memphis commit K.J. Lawson is soliciting for a job as a college assistant coach, and basically claiming that whoever hires him will get his three boys (all blue-chip prospects) to tag along over the next 5 years. Keelon Lawson at least has some coaching ability, leading his HS squad to a state championship, so it's not like he has no coaching ability, but it's clear he is pimping his boys out for his own financial gain, and looking for the highest bidder.

Quote:Yes, K.J. Lawson committed to Josh Pastner's Memphis Tigers last October. But Keelon Lawson indicated that would change if he lands a college job outside of Memphis.

"With loyalty to Josh, I would ask K.J., 'Would you want to stay [with Memphis] or would you want to go with me and Dedric?'" Keelon Lawson said. "But with us being a close-knit family, you know what the answer would be. He would say, 'Dad, I'm going with you.' So, of course, K.J. would go with me, and then Dedric, and then Chandler."

Translation: The school that hires Keelon Lawson will get three possible McDonald's All-Americans in a five-year span. That's the simplest way to describe this situation.

I guess he's just out to "get his."
05-09-2014 12:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gotigers1 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
RE: How much is Memphis willing to pay the Lawsons?
Another case of Daddy putting his nose where it doesn't belong
05-09-2014 12:46 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
Knowing Pastner...He'll go the high road, Pearl will hire the Lawson's father, the kids will play there, and Pastner will get bashed for doing the right thing.

That said, we have the 3rd asst position open (lowest paying, under 100k) and I would offer it to Lawson Sr.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2014 01:11 PM by UofMemphis.)
05-09-2014 01:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Meatwad Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF & The Arsenal
the schools are just out to get theirs so why shouldn't the players and parents be the same way. i don't see anything wrong with that. it's not like he isn't a high school coach.
05-09-2014 01:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
Reminds me of Milt. I have no problem with that btw, it is part of the game. Please see the current poy for father and son tandems for a job.
05-09-2014 01:20 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
There's a difference between hiring someone you are connected to, who actually makes sense, i.e. Temple and Rick Brunson, and a scumbag essentially selling his children in order to get paid.
05-09-2014 01:47 PM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away

Donators
Keelon Lawson Sr played at LOC in Memphis and UAB...he was head coach at Hamilton High in Memphis, leading them to a State Championship. (He has a degree)

so he has the qualifications to be a college asst coach.
05-09-2014 02:05 PM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
(05-09-2014 01:06 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  Knowing Pastner...He'll go the high road, Pearl will hire the Lawson's father, the kids will play there, and Pastner will get bashed for doing the right thing.

It's the smart thing to do. If an SEC team hires the dad, no big deal... if Memphis does, he ends up at Kentucky or Auburn when the sanctions come down and he's free to transfer.
05-09-2014 02:06 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(05-09-2014 02:05 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  Keelon Lawson Sr played at LOC in Memphis and UAB...he was head coach at Hamilton High in Memphis, leading them to a State Championship. (He has a degree)

[Image: f22b8087990ddd5c7c0a5344106e2055b3977b9c...7c7e56.jpg]
05-09-2014 02:07 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
Go for it. Keelon is actually qualified. Played D-1 ball at UAB, and coached a champ at Hamilton. Oh, and he has 2 five-star sons, and one 4-star.

It's perfectly legal, has been done by Kansas twice and us once with Wagner, plus done by other schools, too.

We're talking the 3rd assistant's spot here. Makes perfect sense to me. Tough business. But legal. If we don't, somebody else will, and make us regret it. I'm not THAT high-minded, lol.
05-09-2014 02:09 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(05-09-2014 02:09 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Go for it. Keelon is actually qualified. Played D-1 ball at UAB, and coached a champ at Hamilton. Oh, and he has 2 five-star sons, and one 4-star.

It's perfectly legal, has been done by Kansas twice and us once with Wagner, plus done by other schools, too.

We're talking the 3rd assistant's spot here. Makes perfect sense to me. Tough business. But legal. If we don't, somebody else will, and make us regret it. I'm not THAT high-minded, lol.

agreed...
05-09-2014 02:14 PM
Advertisement

3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
Danny Manning, Dejuan Wagner, Allan Houston, Mario Chalmers, Jalen Rose, Darrell Griffith....

http://www.studentsports.com/basketball/...1/13/1294/
05-09-2014 02:35 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
(05-09-2014 02:09 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Go for it. Keelon is actually qualified. Played D-1 ball at UAB, and coached a champ at Hamilton. Oh, and he has 2 five-star sons, and one 4-star.

Ahhhh
05-09-2014 03:46 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(05-09-2014 02:05 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  Keelon Lawson Sr played at LOC in Memphis and UAB...he was head coach at Hamilton High in Memphis, leading them to a State Championship. (He has a degree)

Keelon signed with UAB but never played at UAB
05-09-2014 04:30 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(05-09-2014 04:30 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  

Keelon signed with UAB but never played at UAB

I just have articles to go by...guess he played/graduated LOC

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketba...om-memphis

Quote:Keelon played collegiately at UAB and LeMoyne-Owen, and he's now a state-championship-winning coach at Hamilton High in Memphis
05-09-2014 04:35 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I can say definitively he never played in a ball game at UAB. He was on the team long enough to have his picture in the media guide, but he did not ever appear in any game unless he played but for some reason not included in any box score. I inquired with someone who asked Keelon as to what happened and was simply told he had a falling out with Coach Bartow
05-09-2014 04:41 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
Doesn't matter. Starting to look like we plan to hire Keelon, unless he just wants to go elsewhere. He's certainly as qualified as any 3rd assistant we've had recently.
05-09-2014 04:46 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
[Image: 23064027_BG1.jpg]

if we do pay him its gotta be cheaper than 3 first round draft picks.
05-09-2014 05:03 PM
NYCTUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(05-09-2014 04:46 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Doesn't matter. Starting to look like we plan to hire Keelon, unless he just wants to go elsewhere. He's certainly as qualified as any 3rd assistant we've had recently.

I don’t have an issue with it because I know it goes on, I just wish the idiot father could have kept his mouth shut. Memphis wouldn’t be technically doing anything wrong by hiring him, but with the media attention it’s just something that the program doesn’t need the headache of justifying to the administration and people in general who don’t understand that this happens fairly often.
05-09-2014 05:11 PM
Bambu Offline
Starving Artist

I Root For: Memphis
(05-09-2014 05:11 PM)NYCTUFan Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 04:46 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Doesn't matter. Starting to look like we plan to hire Keelon, unless he just wants to go elsewhere. He's certainly as qualified as any 3rd assistant we've had recently.

I don’t have an issue with it because I know it goes on, I just wish the idiot father could have kept his mouth shut. Memphis wouldn’t be technically doing anything wrong by hiring him, but with the media attention it’s just something that the program doesn’t need the headache of justifying to the administration and people in general who don’t understand that this happens fairly often.

Yep, the whole thing is just disturbing. I hope Memphis has the good sense to bow out quickly when this turns into a bidding war.
05-09-2014 05:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.