Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NFL Draft First Round: 11 SEC players taken more than 1/3rd of the round.
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
NFL Draft First Round: 11 SEC players taken more than 1/3rd of the round.
Why do the best players sign in the SEC? 11 first round picks just a shade over 1/3rd of the total first round picks were SEC players. Kudos to the Aggies as they had 3.
05-08-2014 11:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
RE: NFL Draft First Round: 11 SEC players taken more than 1/3rd of the round.
Or the best players sign with the SEC because they happen to live in SEC country. It's kind of a chicken/egg type scenario.
05-09-2014 08:11 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-09-2014 08:11 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  Or the best players sign with the SEC because they happen to live in SEC country. It's kind of a chicken/egg type scenario.

Two of the Northeasts' best players have already committed to SEC schools. Unfortunately Alabama is the selection for both. But yes, many of the best players live in the SEC footprint. (Which is why I would like to see us land another Florida and Texas school in that they would give even greater exposure to all SEC schools in those states and by their addition would limit further access by other conferences.)
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2014 08:19 AM by JRsec.)
05-09-2014 08:18 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

(05-09-2014 08:18 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 08:11 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  Or the best players sign with the SEC because they happen to live in SEC country. It's kind of a chicken/egg type scenario.

Two of the Northeasts' best players have already committed to SEC schools. Unfortunately Alabama is the selection for both. But yes, many of the best players live in the SEC footprint. (Which is why I would like to see us land another Florida and Texas school in that they would give even greater exposure to all SEC schools in those states and by their addition would limit further access by other conferences.)

Which seems odd that they somehow were able to slip through Meyer and Franklin's grasp.
05-09-2014 02:33 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-09-2014 02:33 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

Which seems odd that they somehow were able to slip through Meyer and Franklin's grasp.

We are actually recruiting better as a conference nationally than we ever have before. Our BCS win streak, the NFL draft, and our television exposure have helped us quite a bit. Now, having said that, of course the % of total signees from the Southeast is extremely high, but then as you pointed out we have the highest number of them to start with. But pulling kids from California or the Northeast is not that unheard of anymore. I've noticed that our softball teams are pulling a lot of girls from California, our basketball programs are going all over for a couple of special needs, and even football is singing more. Auburn under Hal Baird routinely had Arizona and California kids on the baseball team. We've even had a couple of Canadians. But lately the Auburn baseball program hasn't been much to talk about. But anyway we are drawing more nationally.
05-09-2014 03:21 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

(05-09-2014 03:21 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

We are actually recruiting better as a conference nationally than we ever have before. Our BCS win streak, the NFL draft, and our television exposure have helped us quite a bit. Now, having said that, of course the % of total signees from the Southeast is extremely high, but then as you pointed out we have the highest number of them to start with. But pulling kids from California or the Northeast is not that unheard of anymore. I've noticed that our softball teams are pulling a lot of girls from California, our basketball programs are going all over for a couple of special needs, and even football is singing more. Auburn under Hal Baird routinely had Arizona and California kids on the baseball team. We've even had a couple of Canadians. But lately the Auburn baseball program hasn't been much to talk about. But anyway we are drawing more nationally.

Ive noticed something similiar with all of the out of area gymnastic talent the SEC seems to draw.
05-09-2014 04:40 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-09-2014 04:40 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 03:21 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Ive noticed something similiar with all of the out of area gymnastic talent the SEC seems to draw.
That's correct. But for many of the partial scholarship sports you have to remember that SEC schools spend more on the sports and more importantly by other regions of the country's standards our educational experience is still very affordable. I think the combination of an affordable education with more amenities for minor sports gives us an upper hand there as well.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2014 04:59 PM by JRsec.)
05-09-2014 04:59 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I counted 49 SEC players taken in the NFL draft for the SEC. L.S.U. had the most taken with 9, and Alabama had 8 taken. Not too bad for our kids. For the first time in 76 years Texas had none taken. Oops!
05-10-2014 10:54 PM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
I've seen some good highlight footage of Aaron Murray. Those of you who saw him over his career, does he seem to be a decent pro prospect, particularly as a later pick?
05-11-2014 11:23 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-11-2014 11:23 AM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  I've seen some good highlight footage of Aaron Murray. Those of you who saw him over his career, does he seem to be a decent pro prospect, particularly as a later pick?

As a later pick he is worth the chance. He has good but not great arm strength. His main attributes are that he is extremely accurate and sees the field well and is habituated to going through his reads. He is somewhat mobile but undersized and an injury risk. I think he would have gone much higher but he will have a hard time seeing over an NFL defensive line and he is a true pocket passer. Get him moving and his accuracy goes way down.

But, if he can stay in the pocket there will be few in the NFL that can consistently throw passes within a 12 inch area of the center of the receivers body or outstretched hands. That is his gift. One other thing too, he is a rhythm passer. If his first couple of attempts are completions watch out you're in for a long day. If he is harassed early he has the long day.
05-11-2014 11:34 AM
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
I am back guys. Spent the week in DC attending one of my old troop's USAF retirement. To chime in here, the Rams took two of Jr's guys, including Tre Mason. I am so hyped up about that.04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2014 11:46 AM by USAFMEDIC.)
05-11-2014 11:37 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-11-2014 11:37 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  I am back guys. Spent the week in DC attending a fellow co-worker's USAF retirement. To chime in here, the Rams took two of Jr's guys, including Tre Mason. I am so hyped up about that.04-cheers

In Robinson and Mason you got two great ones at that. I noticed that a third of our guys isn't too far away from Missouri. Dee Ford is going to the Chiefs.
05-11-2014 11:45 AM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
(05-11-2014 11:34 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 11:23 AM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  I've seen some good highlight footage of Aaron Murray. Those of you who saw him over his career, does he seem to be a decent pro prospect, particularly as a later pick?

As a later pick he is worth the chance. He has good but not great arm strength. His main attributes are that he is extremely accurate and sees the field well and is habituated to going through his reads. He is somewhat mobile but undersized and an injury risk. I think he would have gone much higher but he will have a hard time seeing over an NFL defensive line and he is a true pocket passer. Get him moving and his accuracy goes way down.

But, if he can stay in the pocket there will be few in the NFL that can consistently throw passes within a 12 inch area of the center of the receivers body or outstretched hands. That is his gift. One other thing too, he is a rhythm passer. If his first couple of attempts are completions watch out you're in for a long day. If he is harassed early he has the long day.
Thanks for the insights. That dovetails pretty well with my quick review of highlights. His arm strength didn't look exceptional, but he did seem to have decent enough pop on a lot of his throws to make it appear that he's got a shot in the right system. He did appear to show an ability to scan the field, and when he made his mind up to throw he looked decisive and got the ball out pretty quickly. It's good that we have an experienced guy in front of him, so perhaps by the time he would have a chance to play we'll have bolstered our offensive line.
05-12-2014 09:18 AM
Advertisement

bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
Phog, Aaron Murray will be a great voice, as well. He is incredibly poised in front of a microphone. He would be a better civic leader than football player.
05-12-2014 12:22 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

(05-10-2014 10:54 PM)JRsec Wrote:  I counted 49 SEC players taken in the NFL draft for the SEC. L.S.U. had the most taken with 9, and Alabama had 8 taken. Not too bad for our kids. For the first time in 76 years Texas had none taken. Oops!

Mack Brown last few years of being a players' coach apparently payed off.
05-12-2014 12:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.