Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Mower Blade Sharpening
Bookmark and Share
U_of_Elvis Offline
All American

I Root For:
Mower Blade Sharpening
Anyone have a good spot for getting mower blades sharpened in Collierville, southaven / horn lake, or the airport area? Know what they charge for a normal mulching 21" blade?
05-05-2014 02:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eltigre Offline
Chief Headknocker

I Root For: Throat Punches
RE: Mower Blade Sharpening
If you have a drill and don't mind getting a little dirty it's real easy to sharpen it at home. I have a jig I bought that works well and was only about $10 as I recall. There's an even cheaper method >> Youtube video - sharpening wih a drill
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2014 03:23 PM by eltigre.)
05-05-2014 03:23 PM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
You can buy a new one about as cheap as getting one sharpened and spending the gas $$
05-05-2014 03:47 PM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

I Root For: Memphis
Re: RE: Mower Blade Sharpening
(05-05-2014 03:47 PM)Tiger46 Wrote:  You can buy a new one about as cheap as getting one sharpened and spending the gas $$

It depends on the mower. Generic blades are cheap enough but OEM blades aren't always cheap.
05-05-2014 09:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

oldmangrizz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: free love
There's a guy on the square in Hernando every Sat. morning that sharpens them for $7.......mower blades, scissors, yard tools, most anything that needs sharpening. Does most of it right on site while you look around the farmer's market there.
05-06-2014 06:56 AM
JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Option 1: buy a new one = easiest

Option 2: buy a bench grinder and sharpen them yourself = profit
05-06-2014 07:23 AM
supertiger Offline
Sensible Alumnus

I Root For: Memphis TIGERS
(05-06-2014 07:23 AM)JTiger Wrote:  Option 1: buy a new one = easiest

I have an uncle with a very small yard. He buys the $120 push mowers from Wal-Mart and does zero maintenance on them. When one stops working, he throws it away and buys a new one.

I can't blame him. Most push mowers cost more to fix than they're worth.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2014 02:27 AM by supertiger.)
05-07-2014 02:24 AM
Advertisement

covingtontiger Offline
Heisman

Donators
(05-07-2014 02:24 AM)supertiger Wrote:  I have an uncle with a very small yard. He buys the $120 push mowers from Wal-Mart and does zero maintenance on them. When one stops working, he throws it away and buys a new one.

You know, lots of things are getting to the point that they are disposable or throw away. I had a home freezer (Kenmore upright) quit a few months back. I called Sears and they said they would send a repair guy out in about 10 days. It was not under warranty so I was going to have to pay them. I figured if I was paying anyway. why not call a local repair guy and get it fixed sooner?

I talked to a local guy who was very honest. He said "I can charge you to come an look at it, but it is not repairable. You should replace it with a chest freezer." Being stubborn, I did not take his advice and told Sears to send their man anyway. The Sears guy said "we can repair it for $900-odd dollars, but you don't want to do that." "And, by the way, you owe me $170 to tell you that."

So, I went to Lowes and bought a chest-type freezer for $450. They delivered and hauled the old one away. It is what I should have done to begin.

I will never attempt to repair a refrigerator or freezer again unless it is under warranty and the repair is free. Throw the sucker away.

It appears to be wasteful of the earth's resources to scrap stuff and buy new, but it is the way our society works these days.
05-07-2014 08:47 AM
eltigre Offline
Chief Headknocker

I Root For: Throat Punches
(05-07-2014 02:24 AM)supertiger Wrote:  

I have an uncle with a very small yard. He buys the $120 push mowers from Wal-Mart and does zero maintenance on them. When one stops working, he throws it away and buys a new one.

I buy the $120 mowers but I will change the plug and filter. I check the oil and will add if needed but I do not change it. The mower I am using now is entering it's 4th Summer. It is still mowing like a champ and will likely last a few more mowing seasons.
05-07-2014 08:47 AM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-07-2014 08:47 AM)eltigre Wrote:  

I buy the $120 mowers but I will change the plug and filter. I check the oil and will add if needed but I do not change it. The mower I am using now is entering it's 4th Summer. It is still mowing like a champ and will likely last a few more mowing seasons.

I sold my mower last year at a garage sale and it was in perfect condition and at least 12 years old.

To tag onto the repair story about the freezer above, about five years ago my wife tells me that the dryer isn't getting the clothes dry. It's probably 10-15 years old at the time. Just an element, I can do that. Well I drag the dryer out from the wall, squeeze in between the wall and the back of the dryer, contort myself to get to the element and it hit me, WTF am I doing? Told my wife to get ready to go to Home Depot and we had two new front load washer and dryer delivered that afternoon.
05-07-2014 10:34 AM
Advertisement

supertiger Offline
Sensible Alumnus

Now, if I'm buying a riding mower, I'm buying a Deere or Snapper. Both are quality machines and both have good dealer networks.

I don't think rear-engine Snappers ever really break down. I've seen plenty running with 20+ years.
05-07-2014 10:55 AM
UofM_Tiger Offline
1st String

(05-07-2014 10:34 AM)Tiger46 Wrote:  

I sold my mower last year at a garage sale and it was in perfect condition and at least 12 years old.

To tag onto the repair story about the freezer above, about five years ago my wife tells me that the dryer isn't getting the clothes dry. It's probably 10-15 years old at the time. Just an element, I can do that. Well I drag the dryer out from the wall, squeeze in between the wall and the back of the dryer, contort myself to get to the element and it hit me, WTF am I doing? Told my wife to get ready to go to Home Depot and we had two new front load washer and dryer delivered that afternoon.

Tears ago had a Frigidaire washer and dryer. I don't know how many elements, thermostats, felt seals, rollers, etc. I put in that dryer. I got to the point I could take it completely apart, change parts, and put it back together in under an hour. Finally had to throw in the towel when the timer went out. A new one cost more than a new dryer.
05-07-2014 10:59 AM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

I Root For: Memphis
(05-07-2014 10:55 AM)supertiger Wrote:  Now, if I'm buying a riding mower, I'm buying a Deere or Snapper. Both are quality machines and both have good dealer networks.

I don't think rear-engine Snappers ever really break down. I've seen plenty running with 20+ years.

The old Lawnboy push mowers used to run the longest. I used to work at a place that repaired them and there were quite a few that came in that were over 20 years old. A lot of it had to do with them being a 2-cycle engine. I have a Toro that I bought 15 years ago. It's an OHV mower. I have never had it in the shop and it nearly always starts on the first or second pull. I have changed out spark plugs every year though.
05-07-2014 10:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

(05-07-2014 10:34 AM)Tiger46 Wrote:  

$1500 for a high efficiency washer and dryer vs $150 for a mower you forgot a zero to make this story and apples to apples story.

One bad thing about the front load HE washers and dryers is they are more expensive to fix. My wife wants a set really bad but there is nothing wrong with our 8 year old Maytags. Louder but works just fine.
05-07-2014 01:00 PM
supertiger Offline
Sensible Alumnus

(05-07-2014 10:59 AM)mairving Wrote:  
(05-07-2014 10:55 AM)supertiger Wrote:  Now, if I'm buying a riding mower, I'm buying a Deere or Snapper. Both are quality machines and both have good dealer networks.

The old Lawnboy push mowers used to run the longest. I used to work at a place that repaired them and there were quite a few that came in that were over 20 years old. A lot of it had to do with them being a 2-cycle engine. I have a Toro that I bought 15 years ago. It's an OHV mower. I have never had it in the shop and it nearly always starts on the first or second pull. I have changed out spark plugs every year though.

My dad has a 30 year old Lawn-Boy in his garage. I could probably get it cranked if I needed to. He replaced the engine about 10 years ago because he didn't want a mower with any safety features.

He bought another Lawn Boy that he uses now.
05-07-2014 01:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.