Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Politics wins out over loyalty at Clemson
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
play by play man is ousted

Pete Yanity
This is by no means a piece to bash new Clemson football play by play announcer Don Munson. I’ve known Don for many years and he’s a fine person and a good play by play man. This is about Pete Yanity and the developments that led to his removal as Clemson’s play by play announcer for football and basketball.

For a place that likes to cloak itself in religious righteousness, especially in the football program, and especially by the head football coach, what happened here to Yanity is most unrighteous.

Full disclosure: I’ve known Pete since he first step foot in South Carolina in 1987. I consider him one of my closest friends, so yes, I’ve got his back. But this cuts deeper than just friendship. This is about fairness, about what’s right and wrong in the workplace and about a decision based solely on in-house political expediency.

Yanity stepped into a tough situation when he replaced Jim Phillips during the 2003 season. As we all know, replacing a legend isn’t easy. But Pete handled the job with great respect towards Jim and with great professionalism, and he was rewarded by being named the next “Voice of the Tigers.” Personally, I think his touchdown call, “There’s orange in the end zone,” is one of the best signature calls in college football.

Yanity gave Clemson everything he had. He successfully juggled his duties as sports director and anchor at WSPA-TV with his Clemson job never slighting either position. I can say with all candor that no sports journalist in our state worked more hours than Pete. Yanity has received the highest broadcasting honors available in our state, all well deserved.

Is work ethic alone enough to keep a job? No. Job performance is at the top of the check list. No play by play announcer is universally loved outside of perhaps Larry Munson, Vin Scully or some of the other iconic voices of sport. There are haters out there. But Yanity’s performance as Clemson’s play by play man was excellent. He delivered everything you could ask from the booth. As a listener, you had a clear picture of the action, and that’s the #1 job for any play by play man.

No, this change was not about job performance. It was not about an outrageous salary demand. It was not about a personality conflict. This was about making room for someone whose role in the football office had diminished to the point where he was not needed there. And where do you place him? Well, the play by play booth, of course.

Munson has been a full time employee of the Clemson athletic department for the past two years working as the Creative Media Services Director. Not knowing exactly what that is, it appears to me that in that role Don worked closely with football coach Dabo Swinney on social media matters paying close attention to what was being written on the Internet about the football program and the head coach. In fact, it was Swinney who created that full time position for Munson within the football office.

But with the arrival of Thad Turnipseed before last season as the Director of Football Recruiting and External Affairs, Munson’s role was greatly reduced, and, as it turns out, no longer needed within the football program. So, instead of cutting him loose, Swinney worked with athletics director Dan Radakovich to find another place for Munson.

Goodbye Pete.

I am not so naive not to know this kind of stuff goes on throughout corporate America. Good people lose their jobs all the time for bad reasons. I think I just expected more from Clemson.

As Swinney likes to say frequently, “Clemson is a special place.” He says it so much that people believe it. But it’s a move like this that should remind us all that Clemson is not special. Clemson is just like every other major university, or corporation or political body in this country.

At the end of the day, politics won out over job performance, professionalism and loyalty. And for Pete Yanity, that means there’s orange in his rear view mirror.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2014 04:01 PM by XLance.)
05-03-2014 03:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
RE: Politics wins out over loyalty at Clemson
Not defending Don Munson being named the PBP voice by any means, but Yanity was hardly a Clemson favorite and there aren't many who will miss him.

That said, if you are going to quote a Phil Korncoot editorial in a pathetic attempt to slam Clemson at least link it. It's obvious that slamming Clemson and Florida State is allowed here rather than any other school, but you subject the board to legal consequences if you don't at least link your Clemson or Florida State slam threads.
05-04-2014 12:10 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Comparing Yanity to Larry Munson or Wes Durham or Woody Durham is a bridge too far. He is above average at both WSPA and as Clemson play by play. But he lacks that special something you cannot put your finger on to be a legend. It's like explaining to someone the difference between a Ferrari 458 Italia and a host of other hypercars. The Italia may be more expensive. It may be measurably inferior by just a little bit in every category against some other car. But it has that something you cannot put your finger on. It has character and passion ... and those cannot be measured.

But so far Radakovich's hires have panned out poorly at GT. It isn't much surprise that has carried over to Clemson.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2014 12:50 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
05-04-2014 12:47 AM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(05-04-2014 12:47 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  ...so far Radakovich's hires have panned out poorly at GT. It isn't much surprise that has carried over to Clemson.

Hiring "buddies" instead of performers is a sure fire way to mess up ANY organization. Do I think Yanity was top shelf? NO, but he was ok. I'm curious to see what Munson can do - he might even be an improvement. If he turns out to be not as good as Yanity, he needs to be on a short lease (JMO).
05-04-2014 05:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-04-2014 12:10 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  Not defending Don Munson being named the PBP voice by any means, but Yanity was hardly a Clemson favorite and there aren't many who will miss him.

That said, if you are going to quote a Phil Korncoot editorial in a pathetic attempt to slam Clemson at least link it. It's obvious that slamming Clemson and Florida State is allowed here rather than any other school, but you subject the board to legal consequences if you don't at least link your Clemson or Florida State slam threads.

http://sportstalksc.com/index.php/2014/0...ay-change/
05-04-2014 06:51 AM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-04-2014 12:47 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Comparing Yanity to Larry Munson or Wes Durham or Woody Durham is a bridge too far. He is above average at both WSPA and as Clemson play by play. But he lacks that special something you cannot put your finger on to be a legend. It's like explaining to someone the difference between a Ferrari 458 Italia and a host of other hypercars. The Italia may be more expensive. It may be measurably inferior by just a little bit in every category against some other car. But it has that something you cannot put your finger on. It has character and passion ... and those cannot be measured.

But so far Radakovich's hires have panned out poorly at GT. It isn't much surprise that has carried over to Clemson.

I saw Woody last Thursday night where he moderated the "Legends of Tobacco Road" conversation (Randolph Childress, Phil Ford, Mike Gminski, and Dereck Whittenburg). The event was the Fred Barakat Sports Dinner which is a fund raiser for the Greensboro Sports Council.
Woody still has great "pipes" and great passion, not only for Carolina but for the entire ACC. He is always a joy to listen to.
05-04-2014 07:09 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
I would think working in the sports department at a TV station and in the athletics department of a local university would be a conflict of interest.
05-04-2014 09:05 AM
Advertisement

ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
It pains me to agree with kaplony on anything but Kornblut should never be taken seriously when writing about Clemson. He is a skunk of the first order who takes every opportunity to twist facts in the worst possible light for Clemson. To say he is ethically challenged is an understatement. This clown went so far as to request the dash cam video of Sammy Watkins' arrest and publish it. Yes Watkins made a mistake (and has otherwise been a model citizen) but this lowlife made every effort to heap more public humiliation on him.

Kornblut is a snake and I would run a half marathon every morning at 4am for a month just to take a whiz in his coffee. He is a truly worthless person.

(05-04-2014 06:51 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 12:10 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  Not defending Don Munson being named the PBP voice by any means, but Yanity was hardly a Clemson favorite and there aren't many who will miss him.

http://sportstalksc.com/index.php/2014/0...ay-change/

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2014 10:03 AM by ren.hoek.)
05-04-2014 09:36 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(05-04-2014 09:05 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  I would think working in the sports department at a TV station and in the athletics department of a local university would be a conflict of interest.

Not totally uncommon...I've seen at several schools...probably a lot of examples.
05-04-2014 10:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(05-04-2014 10:32 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 09:05 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  I would think working in the sports department at a TV station and in the athletics department of a local university would be a conflict of interest.

Not totally uncommon...I've seen at several schools...probably a lot of examples.

Has usually been the practice at Louisville. 07-coffee3
05-04-2014 11:08 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
(05-04-2014 11:08 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 10:32 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  

Has usually been the practice at Louisville. 07-coffee3

Are they employees of the university or a 3rd party?
05-04-2014 03:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.