Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Year's Eve/New Year's Day bowl games
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
New Year's Eve/New Year's Day bowl games
http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...ll-playoff

With the advent of the New Year's Six, there will only be those six games, plus the Cap One and Outback Bowls on NYE/NYD. All other bowl games that have previously played on those dates will find new dates to play. The Taxslayer (formerly Gator) will play on Jan. 2. The Sun Bowl will be Dec. 27. The Liberty could be moved a few days past NYD. The Heart of Dallas bowl will find a new date, too.
05-02-2014 12:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: New Year's Eve/New Year's Day bowl games
Here's the big line...
However, this season there will be only eight -- with five of those games played in exclusive time slots.

games from last year that will be moved:
Independence
Sun- Dec 27
Liberty
Gator- Jan 2
Heart of Dallas

I would guess we'll see something on 12/29 and 1/5- both Monday nights after MNF is over.
05-02-2014 12:26 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Is that ESPN's doing or the bowls themselves? If I had a bowl on CBS wouldn't you still want a bowl date of Jan. 1?
05-02-2014 12:31 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

Conferences doing. They want the 6 games to be the focal point of these 2 days. It's what I know I've been expecting all along(frankly I expected even Cap One and Outback to move- and I think they will eventually move off).
05-02-2014 12:38 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
Quote:The Taxslayer Bowl, formerly the Gator Bowl...

So, we get the "Peach" back and now this nonsense. 03-no
05-02-2014 12:40 PM
mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
Not surprising considering the investment ESPN has made along with the desire of the conferences to make NYE/NYD special . The SEC &B1G are the clear winners under this system since they are guaranteed to plenty of teams playing in these games even if they don't have a team in the playoffs
05-02-2014 12:48 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
Quote:On Jan. 1, the Outback and Capital One bowls are expected to start between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET, sources said. It's expected the Outback will be on ESPN2 and Capital One on ABC. Both games will go head-to-head with the Cotton Bowl on ESPN.

Cotton Bowl got screwed.

Will ESPN rotate the four bowls other than the Rose and Sugar so that a different bowl every year gets stuck with the only time slot that has to compete with other bowl games?
05-02-2014 01:22 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(05-02-2014 01:22 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
Quote:On Jan. 1, the Outback and Capital One bowls are expected to start between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET, sources said. It's expected the Outback will be on ESPN2 and Capital One on ABC. Both games will go head-to-head with the Cotton Bowl on ESPN.

Cotton Bowl got screwed.

Will ESPN rotate the four bowls other than the Rose and Sugar so that a different bowl every year gets stuck with the only time slot that has to compete with other bowl games?

I think maybe, but then again, I expect Cap One and Outback to eventually be off of NYD and into the MNF slot when possible.
05-02-2014 01:26 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

Cotton Bowl got screwed.

The years the Cotton is a semifinal - it will be on Dec. 31 with the Orange. The years it is not a semifinal, it's the Day game on New Year's Day (or the 2nd).
05-02-2014 01:27 PM
Wedge Offline

(05-02-2014 01:27 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  

Cotton Bowl got screwed.

The years the Cotton is a semifinal - it will be on Dec. 31 with the Orange. The years it is not a semifinal, it's the Day game on New Year's Day (or the 2nd).

OK. Taken with the Peach getting the early time slot on Dec. 31, that makes it look like the Cotton and Peach had to get in line behind the other four games as far as getting the most-wanted time slots.
05-02-2014 01:45 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

(05-02-2014 01:45 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(05-02-2014 01:27 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  

Cotton Bowl got screwed.

OK. Taken with the Peach getting the early time slot on Dec. 31, that makes it look like the Cotton and Peach had to get in line behind the other four games as far as getting the most-wanted time slots.

Well, not quite. The Fiesta gets the Jan. 1 daytime slot when the Cotton is a semifinal. I know, it doesn't make much sense, but that's what is on the CFP website. http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/
05-02-2014 01:50 PM
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
This isn't quite as different as the past years as it first seems. New Years Day saw a lot of games move off already. Last year there were only 6 so 5 isn't that much less.
05-02-2014 02:04 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(05-02-2014 01:26 PM)stever20 Wrote:  

Cotton Bowl got screwed.

I think maybe, but then again, I expect Cap One and Outback to eventually be off of NYD and into the MNF slot when possible.

They will be. And this is what has been typical the last decade or so.
05-02-2014 02:06 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(05-02-2014 02:04 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  This isn't quite as different as the past years as it first seems. New Years Day saw a lot of games move off already. Last year there were only 6 so 5 isn't that much less.

true- but what is very different is bowls like the Gator and Heart and Dallas are already gone. We had gotten up to like 4 games going on at once early. That's down to 3 now, and likely goes down further very soon. Outback will almost certainly be like a 11am start, so it's going to be only like a hour where there will be 3 games going on at once.

Also big is NYE- Sun, Liberty, and Independence bowls all gone now. That's going to be in some ways a bigger change quite frankly.
05-02-2014 02:14 PM
Wedge Offline

Cotton Bowl got screwed.

Not so sure about that. Bowls that are more established and pay more money might have more leverage in choosing their date and might not want to be between NYD and the CFP title game. January 2nd might be fine, Jan. 3rd a little more iffy, and anything after that a lot more iffy in terms of fans wanting to travel to the bowl site, stay a few days, and spend some money.

The bowls farther down the totem pole will play on whatever date the suits in Bristol give them.
05-02-2014 02:21 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Wow.

The ACC has no NYD tie-in. This is significant.

If the Outback and Capital One end off NYD that would be a huge hit for the B1G....It really lowers the value of those bowls.

The traditional NYD bowl fest is dead as we know it. Either you are in a CFP bowl or you are in junk. Huge cultural shift.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
05-02-2014 02:23 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

Like this year- to me 2 big dates are 12/29 and 1/5. I expect pretty good games on both of these Monday nights. Folks could go on the 5th with not much issue. I don't think folks realize just how much these games are going to get dwarfed going up even against access games.
05-02-2014 02:28 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(05-02-2014 02:21 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

Cotton Bowl got screwed.

Not so sure about that. Bowls that are more established and pay more money might have more leverage in choosing their date and might not want to be between NYD and the CFP title game. January 2nd might be fine, Jan. 3rd a little more iffy, and anything after that a lot more iffy in terms of fans wanting to travel to the bowl site, stay a few days, and spend some money.

The bowls farther down the totem pole will play on whatever date the suits in Bristol give them.

I've read that they are going to give exclusive time slots to the 6 bowls. They are probably just giving Tampa and Orlando a little time to arrange a different date.
05-02-2014 02:46 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I think the other conferences would almost force that quite frankly. Otherwise SEC and Big Ten get 2 games there- and none of the other p5 gets any.
05-02-2014 02:53 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(05-02-2014 02:23 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  The ACC has no NYD tie-in. This is significant.
Why? The ACC hasn't had a NYD tie-in since it lost the Gator Bowl after the 2009-10 season.
05-02-2014 03:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.