WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pontiac Silverdome
BaldingBroncoFan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Pontiac Silverdome
I didn't think it was in that bad of shape. It is totally unusable.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/29...34321.html
04-30-2014 03:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SilentStryk09 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
Pontiac Silverdome
Yeah the roof collapsed about 2 years ago when the owners couldn't pay the bills anymore, and nothing was done about it.
04-30-2014 06:56 PM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Pontiac Silverdome
Odd to see something not that old, that was such a center piece be in such a condition.

Was fortunate to travel to there when Watervliet HS played in a state Championship game when I taught there in '79(?). Got on to the field and in the locker rooms. Strange to see it in this condition.
04-30-2014 11:00 PM
Broncobelt Offline
All American

I never cared for the Silverdome. The place just had no character.

Commercial buildings do have a useful life. And when they are a single purpose structure, it is limited. I am constantly amazed at how many stadiums/arenas built in my lifetime are already being torn down. Granted, I'm not young anymore, but still.......
05-01-2014 08:52 AM
Advertisement

gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(05-01-2014 08:52 AM)Broncobelt Wrote:  I never cared for the Silverdome. The place just had no character.

Commercial buildings do have a useful life. And when they are a single purpose structure, it is limited. I am constantly amazed at how many stadiums/arenas built in my lifetime are already being torn down. Granted, I'm not young anymore, but still.......

And this gets me to think why I am against publicly funded venues as such. I understand all the benies of employment, tax base, yada yada. But so many of these are as you reference, one trick ponies. Someone or something else comes around and BAM, gone. Someone is left holding the bag and if it was publicly funded I would argue the tax payer catches that 2nd edge as the pendulum swings back.

I think in the SD situation it was a part of the exodus from downtown Detroit. I didnt realize it was built or opened up in '75. It made sense then but history too often repeats itself and lessons should be learned. Running from a problem doesnt fix it, just delays the inevitable which usually comes back with compound interest.
05-01-2014 12:26 PM
bronco47 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: wmu
My memory of the Dome is Wrestlemania III in 1987. At the time the 93,000 + was the record for an indoor event, not broken until 2010.

Google Wrestlemania III and watch Vince McMahan do the warmup as the camera scans the interior. Quite impressive.
05-01-2014 02:08 PM
Charm City Bronco Offline
Fights for Justice

(05-01-2014 12:26 PM)gobaseline Wrote:  It made sense then

How so?
05-01-2014 02:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bronco74 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(05-01-2014 08:52 AM)Broncobelt Wrote:  I never cared for the Silverdome. The place just had no character.

Correct, no character. However, there really was not a bad seat in the place. I even once had seats in the upper deck behind the end zone and they were not bad.

I saw the WHO there in the festival seating concert and that was awful. I got there late and had to sit almost perpendicular to the stage and had an AC unit blowing cold air on me.

One other additional complaint, men's room had too few places to let the beer out.
05-01-2014 03:21 PM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(05-01-2014 02:33 PM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 12:26 PM)gobaseline Wrote:  It made sense then

How so?

The outgoing tide of urban flight.
05-01-2014 04:50 PM
Fights for Justice

Taxpayer funding of billionaires never made sense and never will.
05-01-2014 07:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fights for Justice

Wow, WrestleMania III at the Silverdome. And I thought my seats at the 2008 NCAA regional at Ford Field sucked.
05-01-2014 08:26 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
Went to many games and concerts there, football, basketball, NCAA regional, soccer. Hard to imagine it's condemned. Saw Danny and the Miracles win the regional there, we thought we had a bad draw at the time. Beat KSU and Richmond, we had the best regional by far.

WOW. Think I'm done.
05-01-2014 09:10 PM
anthonybronco Offline
1st String

I did see Pistons and Lakers in 1988 for the Finals!

Nose bleed level, but still had good seats! And there was like 40k at that game! A basketball game!

Had a great time... not sure when I'll be at an NBA Finals again -- I don't have that kind of money.

Remember one year when a Pistons game got rained out?

Blaha on court with an umbrella telling viewers "the roof is seriously leaking" -- I think that was the same year the Dome lost its roof in a storm the first time.
05-03-2014 04:11 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
I had season tickets that year. Next to the "Silver Fox" and not too far from BobSeger. (Real fans know his name is really one).

The rain was from condensation. I also was supposed to go to the famous "roof collapse" game in 87 when it came crashing down the day of a game. They finished the season in the Joe, and our season tickets were transferred over there. Much better place for a basketball game, even better than the Palace IMO.

I went to all three games that 88 finals, then the family figured out that I snookered them, there was always one ticket and I made myself available for each game while they all traded games!!! Muuuaaaahhh.

Good memories, Who Concert twice, Stones, working there for charity manning the concessions, I never thought it would end up this way. Sad.

Thought that an eventual refurbishing would take place, make it more appealing and modern.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2014 05:15 PM by DesertBronco.)
05-03-2014 05:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.