Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Yet More Trouble Ahead For Penn State?
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
Yet More Trouble Ahead For Penn State?
http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...commodores

If this turns about to be true about James Franklin while at Vanderbilt, Penn State has some decisions to make...

"In the filing, the defense says Franklin and strength coach Dwight Galt -- who left Vandy for the same jobs at Penn State this winter -- talked to the alleged victim four days after the rape during a medical examination.

Franklin and Galt told the victim "that they cared about her because she assisted them with recruiting," according to the filing. Later, the defense said, "Coach Franklin called her in for a private meeting and told her he wanted her to get 15 pretty girls together and form a team to assist with the recruiting even though he knew it was against the rules. He added that all the other colleges did it."
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2014 08:46 PM by USAFMEDIC.)
04-29-2014 08:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: Yet More Trouble Ahead For Penn State?
NEXT!
04-29-2014 10:24 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
The shadow of accusations surrounding him should have been considered when they made the hire, particularly with the obvious fact they they are still in the midst of the most heinous sex abuse scandal in athletics history with 3 former top administrators still awaiting trial. In addition to the rape coverup allegations, Franklin is a guy that publicly stated that he bases his hiring decisions on the coaches' wives. Whether any of the rape coverup allegations are true or not, if there is any school that couldn't afford to hire anyone with the remotest whiff of sexual scandal, it was Penn State...at least if the institution was being run by rationally minded individuals. Not only that, they followed it up by hiring FSU's president as their next leader. The priorities there are laid bare, and no one should be surprised since most of the people that are in positions of power at that school were around for the child rape coverup, egged on by the indignation of their fan base which is exemplified by the multiple alumni that won seats on its board of trustees running on a platform of restoring Paterno's name...let alone the fervor generated over getting another Paterno statue in town. It is status quo at that vomitorium; if not worse.

Nothing will come of this at Penn State, unless you haven't been paying attention the last couple of years about how it operates.
04-29-2014 10:34 PM
NittanyLion Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
(04-29-2014 08:44 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...commodores

If this turns about to be true about James Franklin while at Vanderbilt, Penn State has some decisions to make...

"In the filing, the defense says Franklin and strength coach Dwight Galt -- who left Vandy for the same jobs at Penn State this winter -- talked to the alleged victim four days after the rape during a medical examination.

Franklin and Galt told the victim "that they cared about her because she assisted them with recruiting," according to the filing. Later, the defense said, "Coach Franklin called her in for a private meeting and told her he wanted her to get 15 pretty girls together and form a team to assist with the recruiting even though he knew it was against the rules. He added that all the other colleges did it."

Penn State will have "some decisions to make" if/when the alleged victim starts says that part of their conversation four days after the rape, Coach Franklin pressured her about what to say.

Until that happens, I don't see anything significant here. Having any sort of contact with the alleged victim was pretty poor judgment by Franklin, but there's a fairly decent chance she was also a "recruiting hostess" who Franklin personally knew.

As for Paragraph 2 --- how on Earth would the defendant Vandenburg know about this alleged conversation between Franklin and the young woman???? He'll need to answer that question, because if he can't, that's seems like (at best) hearsay.
04-29-2014 10:42 PM
NittanyLion Offline
Special Teams

(04-29-2014 10:34 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  The shadow of accusations surrounding him should have been considered when they made the hire, particularly with the obvious fact they they are still in the midst of the most heinous sex abuse scandal in athletics history with 3 former top administrators still awaiting trial. In addition to the rape coverup allegations, Franklin is a guy that publicly stated that he bases his hiring decisions on the coaches' wives. Whether any of the rape coverup allegations are true or not, if there is any school that couldn't afford to hire anyone with the remotest whiff of sexual scandal, it was Penn State...at least if the institution was being run by rationally minded individuals. Not only that, they followed it up by hiring FSU's president as their next leader. The priorities there are laid bare, and no one should be surprised since most of the people that are in positions of power at that school were around for the child rape coverup, egged on by the indignation of their fan base which is exemplified by the multiple alumni that won seats on its board of trustees running on a platform of restoring Paterno's name...let alone the fervor generated over getting another Paterno statue in town. It is status quo at that vomitorium; if not worse.

Nothing will come of this at Penn State, unless you haven't been paying attention the last couple of years about how it operates.

Penn State has an Athletics Integrity Monitor on campus (as you know), and he was consulted before the hire of Franklin in January.

If he (George Mitchell) had voiced concerns in January, do you think Penn State would have still hired Franklin?
04-29-2014 10:43 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Let's see, Penn State became the scourge of the nation because their highest level administrators - including their legendary football coach and their university president - conspired for decades to cover up child rape.

They then replaced Graham Spanier, their former president, with Mark Barron the president at Florida State who presided over the whole Jameis Winston rape scandal and who some have accused of working with the Tallahassee PD to cover up that whole affair.

It only seems fair that they would also hire a football coach who covered up rape at his previous stop. Otherwise, that would just seem tacky.

Win. At. All. Costs.

[Image: 15ggdarcyjpg-b015860baff1d733.jpg]
04-29-2014 10:48 PM
Advertisement

prp Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tartans!
I'm confused. Is Franklin being accused of covering up a rape? Because the allegations are from a brief filed by the defense lawyer of one of the alleged rapists, the person whose jobs it is to prove that no rape occurred.
04-29-2014 10:52 PM
NittanyLion Offline
Special Teams

(04-29-2014 10:52 PM)prp Wrote:  I'm confused. Is Franklin being accused of covering up a rape? Because the allegations are from a brief filed by the defense lawyer of one of the alleged rapists, the person whose jobs it is to prove that no rape occurred.

I THINK the defense lawyers are going to go down this path:

Yes, a sexual encounter occurred, but it wasn't rape, because having sex with players and recruits is an "implied part of the job" when one is a "recruiting hostesses" or "football administrative assistant" (or whatever dumb titles they give these 20-year-old girls).

Frankly, the defense attorneys may have a point. The entire "recruiting hostess" thing is a racket. A lot of these girls are, for lack of a better word, being pimped out by million-dollar Head Coaches.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2014 11:00 PM by NittanyLion.)
04-29-2014 10:59 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(04-29-2014 10:43 PM)NittanyLion Wrote:  
(04-29-2014 10:34 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  The shadow of accusations surrounding him should have been considered when they made the hire, particularly with the obvious fact they they are still in the midst of the most heinous sex abuse scandal in athletics history with 3 former top administrators still awaiting trial. In addition to the rape coverup allegations, Franklin is a guy that publicly stated that he bases his hiring decisions on the coaches' wives. Whether any of the rape coverup allegations are true or not, if there is any school that couldn't afford to hire anyone with the remotest whiff of sexual scandal, it was Penn State...at least if the institution was being run by rationally minded individuals. Not only that, they followed it up by hiring FSU's president as their next leader. The priorities there are laid bare, and no one should be surprised since most of the people that are in positions of power at that school were around for the child rape coverup, egged on by the indignation of their fan base which is exemplified by the multiple alumni that won seats on its board of trustees running on a platform of restoring Paterno's name...let alone the fervor generated over getting another Paterno statue in town. It is status quo at that vomitorium; if not worse.

Penn State has an Athletics Integrity Monitor on campus (as you know), and he was consulted before the hire of Franklin in January.

If he (George Mitchell) had voiced concerns in January, do you think Penn State would have still hired Franklin?

Nitter...you remember his comments about only hiring coaches that had good looking wives? That is a huge red flag there.
04-29-2014 11:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NittanyLion Offline
Special Teams

(04-29-2014 11:20 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Nitter...you remember his comments about only hiring coaches that had good looking wives? That is a huge red flag there.

Excuse me ... "nitter"?

Now, your question is a legitimate one ... and I will answer it and conduct an actual adult conversation with you, but only if you give me the courtesy of taking back the "nitter" insult. "Nitter" is a derogatory term used toward Penn Staters, and I did not deserve your unprovoked use of the term.
04-30-2014 12:22 AM
allthatyoucantleavebehind Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Penn State
(04-29-2014 10:48 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  Win. At. All. Costs.

[Image: 15ggdarcyjpg-b015860baff1d733.jpg]

26-32 from 2000-2004.
You're right. PSU must have been breaking all kind of rules to put up a record like that! 01-wingedeagle
04-30-2014 05:39 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(04-29-2014 10:59 PM)NittanyLion Wrote:  
(04-29-2014 10:52 PM)prp Wrote:  I'm confused. Is Franklin being accused of covering up a rape? Because the allegations are from a brief filed by the defense lawyer of one of the alleged rapists, the person whose jobs it is to prove that no rape occurred.

Yes, a sexual encounter occurred, but it wasn't rape, because having sex with players and recruits is an "implied part of the job" when one is a "recruiting hostesses" or "football administrative assistant" (or whatever dumb titles they give these 20-year-old girls).

Frankly, the defense attorneys may have a point. The entire "recruiting hostess" thing is a racket. A lot of these girls are, for lack of a better word, being pimped out by million-dollar Head Coaches.

Now you are getting into justification. There is a camera, which Vanderburg eventually covered up. Regardless of whether Franklin did anything wrong, it was just tone deaf for Penn St. to hire this guy. They needed to avoid this sort of thing.

http://deadspin.com/disturbing-allegatio...1269706271
04-30-2014 06:55 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
Penn State's a lose-lose gig these days. Anyone who would have taken the job would have been smeared, justly or no. Those they couldn't find any dirt on, they'd insult for having taken the job.
04-30-2014 07:51 AM
krup Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rutgers
(04-30-2014 07:51 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Penn State's a lose-lose gig these days. Anyone who would have taken the job would have been smeared, justly or no. Those they couldn't find any dirt on, they'd insult for having taken the job.

There is a lot of distance between hiring just anyone who "would have been smeared, justly or no" and hiring a guy who (at a minimum) will have his name prominently and repeatedly mentioned as the coach of 5 players during their rape trials.
04-30-2014 08:54 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
(04-30-2014 07:51 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Penn State's a lose-lose gig these days. Anyone who would have taken the job would have been smeared, justly or no. Those they couldn't find any dirt on, they'd insult for having taken the job.

I don't remember too much smearing of Bill O'Brien, only almost universal praise for the job he did in such trying circumstances.

In fact, I would argue that the positive attention BOB received in steadying the Penn State program in the face of what was hands down the worst scandal in American sports history, is precisely why he is an NFL head coach today.

If James Franklin really did meet with rape victim in the immediate aftermath of her ordeal, it's only logical to at least suspect that it was in an attempt to influence her and to gauge her emotional state. I think that's what this filing clearly implies.

Even if he did meet with the girl out of sincere compassion, he has to be one of the dumbest or most arrogant people on the planet if only for the appearance such a meeting would have to others.

He's not a police investigator, a mental health therapist of even a physician, he's a football coach. As such, he has no business meeting with some young lady who just suffered a potentially life altering event as a DIRECT result of a program he created.

If you were that young lady's parents, would you want that guy meeting with your daughter? I know I would not.

I wonder how many personal meetings he had with these girls he cared so much about prior to one of them being raped by one of his players and as a direct result of a program he created?

I'm not ready to hang the guy just yet but it is nothing short of breathtaking that Penn State could be stupid enough to again put itself in the position of being the national/International symbol of the rape epidemic on our nation's campuses and how some schools will stop at nothing to protect their money making athletic programs.

That's why I have to believe that Penn State has thoroughly vetted this situation and that they have fully investigated the entire Vanderbilt affair from A to Z. There's no way they could have been stupid enough to just take Franklin's word for it that it's all good and everything will be fine.

However, if they were foolish enough to not fully vet this process and they did take Franklin's word for how things went down, or others close to Franklin, then I will have no sympathy whatsoever for them during the shitstorm that is sure to ensue because quite frankly, they would deserve every ounce of it.

The same goes for Barron and his tenure at Florida State. If the newly recharged Jameis Winston investigation uncovers a cover up at Florida State, Penn State will be completely out of luck.

It's just amazing that such a wealthy and powerful institution - which could have its pick of talented coaches and administrators - could endure a scandal that literally shook the entire nation to its core and then turn around and again potentially put itself in harm's way a year or two later over a whole new set of rapes at other schools. Doesn't that just amaze you?

How does any school ever recover from being known as Rape U?
04-30-2014 08:55 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(04-29-2014 08:44 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...commodores

This is just disgusting. WTF is wrong with the players that did this? The full description of what happened is sickening.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2014 09:12 AM by blunderbuss.)
04-30-2014 09:01 AM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(04-30-2014 09:01 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  

This is just disgusting. WTF is wrong with the players that did this? The full description of what happened is sickening.

100% agree - disgusting.

IMO the whole "hostess" thing is disgusting. How would you feel if YOUR daughter was a hostess, knowing that many (most?) of them end up as little more than prostitutes for the football team?

I realize this is not the only place that does that sort of thing, but for Penn State to hire a coach with this kind of baggage while they are still under the pall of a child abuse cover-up... beyond disgusting!

It won't happen because morality and winning have no correlation whatsoever in college football, but it would be my wish that these coaches would all be fired and banned for life, and Penn State would go on a losing streak that lasts until they realize there are things more important than winning.
[/rant]
04-30-2014 10:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NittanyLion Offline
Special Teams

(04-30-2014 06:55 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(04-29-2014 10:59 PM)NittanyLion Wrote:  

Now you are getting into justification. There is a camera, which Vanderburg eventually covered up. Regardless of whether Franklin did anything wrong, it was just tone deaf for Penn St. to hire this guy. They needed to avoid this sort of thing.

http://deadspin.com/disturbing-allegatio...1269706271

??? What am I justifying? I'm just speculating as to a possible defense Vandenberg may present.

Anyway, to the larger point, which nobody here has yet addressed --- if one is to criticize Penn State for hiring James Franklin, one needs to simultaneously criticize the NCAA Athletics Integrity Monitor George Mitchell for the hire. Because it's on the record that he was consulted before the hire was made.
04-30-2014 10:23 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(04-30-2014 10:00 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(04-30-2014 09:01 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  

100% agree - disgusting.

IMO the whole "hostess" thing is disgusting. How would you feel if YOUR daughter was a hostess, knowing that many (most?) of them end up as little more than prostitutes for the football team?

I realize this is not the only place that does that sort of thing, but for Penn State to hire a coach with this kind of baggage while they are still under the pall of a child abuse cover-up... beyond disgusting!

It won't happen because morality and winning have no correlation whatsoever in college football, but it would be my wish that these coaches would all be fired and banned for life, and Penn State would go on a losing streak that lasts until they realize there are things more important than winning.
[/rant]
This is my point here, and why I posted this thread. I do not pretend to know the facts regarding any rapes, but it is mind-bending to me that a coach would contact the victim after a rape, and even bring up a subject regarding her helping to obtain pretty hostesses for the team. That alone sounds like he was attempting to shut her up with this silly bread crumb of an offer. This is one subject that Penn State did not need to have to address again. Instead of watching the little boys' backs, apparently they will have to watch the teenage girls' backs now...
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2014 12:20 PM by USAFMEDIC.)
04-30-2014 12:16 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-29-2014 10:43 PM)NittanyLion Wrote:  

You are a naive dupe, or worse. How anyone can take the slightest pride in that institution is thoroughly beyond my comprehension.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2014 12:36 PM by CrazyPaco.)
04-30-2014 12:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.