Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

National Baseball Polls (w/o April 28)
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
National Baseball Polls (w/o April 28)
Kendall moves us up one from #17 to #16 in the Perfect Game rankings...

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View...ticle=9798

I suspect we'll stay pretty much even in most of the other polls. Kendall had us 3 - 5 places behind everybody else (save for Collegiate Baseball, which always ranks us lower).
04-28-2014 10:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

grol Offline
Baseball Fan

Donators
RE: National Baseball Polls (w/o April 28)
No. 14 in BA (from 12 last week)
04-28-2014 12:34 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Collegiate Baseball continues to be the joke of all national polls/pundits. This week, they've dropped us to #23, behind TCU, UT, Tech, Pepperdine, UCF, UC-Irvine, Alabama, amongst others, with UH not even making their Top 30. Insane...

http://baseballnews.com/polls/ncaa-divis...l-4-28-14/
04-28-2014 04:01 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Dropped from #16 to #18 in the Writers poll...

http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2014...pril-28th/
04-28-2014 04:36 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
And we drop an inexplicable six spots in the Coaches poll from #11 to #17 (yet UT drops on 1 spot down to #11 after losing a weekend series at home to OSU). Go figure...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/c...t/2013/17/
04-28-2014 07:34 PM
dragon2owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: RICE
College Baseball Daily's projections
1. Rice (7)
2. Dallas Baptist
3. Oklahoma State
4. Wright State

Paired with
1. Texas
2. Washington
3. Auburn
4. SEMO

They have 5 teams hosting regionals in Texas.
http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2014...pril-30th/
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2014 01:27 PM by dragon2owl.)
04-30-2014 01:23 PM
Advertisement

13thOwl Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice University
Baseball GeniusDonatorsFootball Genius
(04-30-2014 01:23 PM)dragon2owl Wrote:  College Baseball Daily's projections
1. Rice (7)
2. Dallas Baptist
3. Oklahoma State
4. Wright State

Paired with
1. Texas
2. Washington
3. Auburn
4. SEMO

This projection is an example of why I like to watch projections evolve. First of all situations change for teams as some get hot and some cool off. But secondly, errors in logic start getting weeded out. Now someone with a better sense of geography and more importantly conference affiliations might confirm that their Virginia regional might have two ACC teams playing there.

1. Virginia * (1)
2. Old Dominion
3. Maryland
4. VCU *

1. Houston *
2. Kentucky
3. USC
4. Sam Houston State*

Even with the above, I appreciate the effort and found it an entertaining read.
04-30-2014 01:40 PM
Mademen Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UH
(04-30-2014 01:40 PM)13thOwl Wrote:  
1. Rice (7)
2. Dallas Baptist
3. Oklahoma State
4. Wright State

Paired with
1. Texas
2. Washington
3. Auburn
4. SEMO

This projection is an example of why I like to watch projections evolve. First of all situations change for teams as some get hot and some cool off. But secondly, errors in logic start getting weeded out. Now someone with a better sense of geography and more importantly conference affiliations might confirm that their Virginia regional might have two ACC teams playing there.

1. Virginia * (1)
2. Old Dominion
3. Maryland
4. VCU *

1. Houston *
2. Kentucky
3. USC
4. Sam Houston State*

Perhaps Maryland is already representing itself as a Big 10 member. LOL
04-30-2014 01:50 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
1. Rice (7)
2. Dallas Baptist
3. Oklahoma State
4. Wright State

Paired with
1. Texas
2. Washington
3. Auburn
4. SEMO

1. Virginia * (1)
2. Old Dominion
3. Maryland
4. VCU *

1. Houston *
2. Kentucky
3. USC
4. Sam Houston State*

13th, it appears this projections did not take much effort at all-- went almost strictly by RPI is selecting national seeds and regional hosts, and in seeding the teams. Just ain't going to happen. There will never be 5 Texas regionals, and though UH has the RPI and resume to warrant serious hosting consideration, unless they pretty much run the table on the rest of their conference games (and they have two road series to go, as well as this weekend's home series against #22 ranked UCF), I cannot see the Selection Committee giving a regional host to a non-BCS team finishing worse than 2nd in their conference. UH currently sports a 7-7 record in the AAC, and are in fourth place I believe.
04-30-2014 03:48 PM
Mademen Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UH
(04-30-2014 03:48 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
1. Rice (7)
2. Dallas Baptist
3. Oklahoma State
4. Wright State

Paired with
1. Texas
2. Washington
3. Auburn
4. SEMO

1. Virginia * (1)
2. Old Dominion
3. Maryland
4. VCU *

1. Houston *
2. Kentucky
3. USC
4. Sam Houston State*

13th, it appears this projections did not take much effort at all-- went almost strictly by RPI is selecting national seeds and regional hosts, and in seeding the teams. Just ain't going to happen. There will never be 5 Texas regionals, and though UH has the RPI and resume to warrant serious hosting consideration, unless they pretty much run the table on the rest of their conference games (and they have two road series to go, as well as this weekend's home series against #22 ranked UCF), I cannot see the Selection Committee giving a regional host to a non-BCS team finishing worse than 2nd in their conference. UH currently sports a 7-7 record in the AAC, and are in fourth place I believe.

I agree that there will not be 5 regional hosts in Texas especially with 2 likely hosts in Louisiana. However, given similar resumes, is it not fair to ask why Rice should be chosen ahead of UH should UH hold a 3-0 head to head record? I still think there is a good chance that both Rice and UH host, but unless Rice beats UH in early May, I have a hard time stomaching the Owls having the edge this season.
04-30-2014 04:31 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(04-30-2014 04:31 PM)Mademen Wrote:  
1. Rice (7)
2. Dallas Baptist
3. Oklahoma State
4. Wright State

Paired with
1. Texas
2. Washington
3. Auburn
4. SEMO

1. Virginia * (1)
2. Old Dominion
3. Maryland
4. VCU *

1. Houston *
2. Kentucky
3. USC
4. Sam Houston State*

I agree that there will not be 5 regional hosts in Texas especially with 2 likely hosts in Louisiana. However, given similar resumes, is it not fair to ask why Rice should be chosen ahead of UH should UH hold a 3-0 head to head record? I still think there is a good chance that both Rice and UH host, but unless Rice beats UH in early May, I have a hard time stomaching the Owls having the edge this season.

The Rice vs. UH argument would be valid if both were conference champions. I just wrote a note to Aaron Fitt who argued that currently TCU would get the nod over Rice for one of the final national seeds (though both are on the outside looking in) because they play in a tougher conference. I reminded him that Rice not only had the superior RPI and SoS, but was 2-0 vs. TCU this year. Also, TCU still trails OSU for the conference lead, and Tech is right there as well. Whether you agree or disagree, in picking national seeds and regional hosts, winning a conference championship is probably the second most important criteria to the Selection Committee after RPI.
04-30-2014 05:14 PM
Advertisement

13thOwl Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice University
Baseball GeniusDonatorsFootball Genius
1. Rice (7)
2. Dallas Baptist
3. Oklahoma State
4. Wright State

Paired with
1. Texas
2. Washington
3. Auburn
4. SEMO

1. Virginia * (1)
2. Old Dominion
3. Maryland
4. VCU *

1. Houston *
2. Kentucky
3. USC
4. Sam Houston State*

So, you are advocating Louisville to host before either Rice or UH?
04-30-2014 05:29 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(04-30-2014 05:29 PM)13thOwl Wrote:  
1. Rice (7)
2. Dallas Baptist
3. Oklahoma State
4. Wright State

Paired with
1. Texas
2. Washington
3. Auburn
4. SEMO

1. Virginia * (1)
2. Old Dominion
3. Maryland
4. VCU *

1. Houston *
2. Kentucky
3. USC
4. Sam Houston State*

They very well might be a national seed choice over us, as they'll likely win the AAC (though UCF is still very much in the running), and they're considered a "northern" school.
04-30-2014 05:33 PM
Orange County Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
Walt ... I directionally agree with your point - as winning a regular season conference title has been national seed resume "check mark" - but is winning the RPI #7 conference really a key point over finishing 2nd in the RPI #2 conference (TCU/Big 12)?

Maybe, maybe not ... but I think the historical evidence that you're relying on - and which I also remember as fact - was from a period when CUSA had a slightly stronger overall profile.
04-30-2014 06:37 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(04-30-2014 06:37 PM)Orange County Owl Wrote:  Walt ... I directionally agree with your point - as winning a regular season conference title has been national seed resume "check mark" - but is winning the RPI #7 conference really a key point over finishing 2nd in the RPI #2 conference (TCU/Big 12)?

Maybe, maybe not ... but I think the historical evidence that you're relying on - and which I also remember as fact - was from a period when CUSA had a slightly stronger overall profile.

What gives us the edge over TCU, IMO, is not so much the conference championship (assuming we hold on down the stretch), but the fact that we went 2-0 vs. TCU this season (including one of those two games over the weekend), and have the superior RPI and SoS. Very similar situation to 2010, when we got the national seed over the Aggies after going 3-0 against them during the season.
04-30-2014 07:38 PM
75src Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
Right now, UH just holds a 2-0 record against us this season. The 3rd game at Constellation Field has not been played yet. I assume we will be paired with UH with one of us getting the national bid to cut down on travel.

(04-30-2014 05:33 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(04-30-2014 01:40 PM)13thOwl Wrote:  This projection is an example of why I like to watch projections evolve. First of all situations change for teams as some get hot and some cool off. But secondly, errors in logic start getting weeded out. Now someone with a better sense of geography and more importantly conference affiliations might confirm that their Virginia regional might have two ACC teams playing there.

1. Virginia * (1)
2. Old Dominion
3. Maryland
4. VCU *

1. Houston *
2. Kentucky
3. USC
4. Sam Houston State*

They very well might be a national seed choice over us, as they'll likely win the AAC (though UCF is still very much in the running), and they're considered a "northern" school.
05-01-2014 01:12 AM
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(05-01-2014 01:12 AM)75src Wrote:  Right now, UH just holds a 2-0 record against us this season. The 3rd game at Constellation Field has not been played yet. I assume we will be paired with UH with one of us getting the national bid to cut down on travel.

(04-30-2014 05:33 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(04-30-2014 03:48 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  13th, it appears this projections did not take much effort at all-- went almost strictly by RPI is selecting national seeds and regional hosts, and in seeding the teams. Just ain't going to happen. There will never be 5 Texas regionals, and though UH has the RPI and resume to warrant serious hosting consideration, unless they pretty much run the table on the rest of their conference games (and they have two road series to go, as well as this weekend's home series against #22 ranked UCF), I cannot see the Selection Committee giving a regional host to a non-BCS team finishing worse than 2nd in their conference. UH currently sports a 7-7 record in the AAC, and are in fourth place I believe.

Right now neither one of us is in line for a national bid, and UH still has significant work to do to earn a regional host. Should UCF take this weekend series against the Coogs, I think their regional host hopes have all but expired, despite their RPI and overall resume. You cannot finish in 3rd for 4th place in a non-BCS conference, and be selected as a regional host; particularly if you're not a "northern" school.
05-01-2014 08:37 AM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
(04-30-2014 04:31 PM)Mademen Wrote:  I agree that there will not be 5 regional hosts in Texas especially with 2 likely hosts in Louisiana. However, given similar resumes, is it not fair to ask why Rice should be chosen ahead of UH should UH hold a 3-0 head to head record? I still think there is a good chance that both Rice and UH host, but unless Rice beats UH in early May, I have a hard time stomaching the Owls having the edge this season.

I'm not saying this to knock UH, but more as a general comment about mid-week games. They just aren't the best reflection of how two teams would perform against each other over a weekend series. Rice has had trouble finding depth at the back of its bullpen and reliable mid-week starters, and that has hurt Rice in mid-week games more than it does during a normal weekend series. UH might be the better team. All other things being close, the 3-0 head-to-head record makes a fairly compelling argument. But 3-0 in mid-week games isn't the same as sweeping a weekend series (which I'm sure you know).
05-01-2014 09:56 AM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(05-01-2014 09:56 AM)mrbig Wrote:  
(04-30-2014 04:31 PM)Mademen Wrote:  I agree that there will not be 5 regional hosts in Texas especially with 2 likely hosts in Louisiana. However, given similar resumes, is it not fair to ask why Rice should be chosen ahead of UH should UH hold a 3-0 head to head record? I still think there is a good chance that both Rice and UH host, but unless Rice beats UH in early May, I have a hard time stomaching the Owls having the edge this season.

I'm not saying this to knock UH, but more as a general comment about mid-week games. They just aren't the best reflection of how two teams would perform against each other over a weekend series. Rice has had trouble finding depth at the back of its bullpen and reliable mid-week starters, and that has hurt Rice in mid-week games more than it does during a normal weekend series. UH might be the better team. All other things being close, the 3-0 head-to-head record makes a fairly compelling argument. But 3-0 in mid-week games isn't the same as sweeping a weekend series (which I'm sure you know).

And they're NOT 3-0 against us. 03-banghead
05-01-2014 09:59 AM
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(05-01-2014 09:59 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 09:56 AM)mrbig Wrote:  

And they're NOT 3-0 against us. 03-banghead

[Image: PG0cc2h.jpg]
05-01-2014 11:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.