Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Lawsuit vs the NCAA Names The P5 AND the G5
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
New Lawsuit vs the NCAA Names The P5 AND the G5
In the last NCAA statement on autonomy, this paragraph alluded to some sort of vague "separation" of the P5 and--for the first time specifically mentioned he G5 as well as part of the group that would enjoy this "separation" from the rest of D1.

The board will seek feedback on some questions raised by members of governance bodies in recent days, including: the process by which items decided by the full division could become part of the list of autonomous areas; the voting, interpretation and enforcement processes within the five highest-profile conferences; and the core structure that separates not only the five highest-profile conferences into their own group but also continues a separation of the next five conferences (the American Athletic Conference, Conference-USA, Mid-American Conference, Mountain West Conference and Sun Belt Conference) from the remaining 22.

Perhaps we now know why----a law suit was filed against the NCAA accusing the NCAA and the 10 FBS conferences of creating an illegal cartel that worked to unfairly cap scholarship values. This suit differs from the others that have been filed in that it names the G5 as well as the P5. The prior suits have only mentioned the P5.

The NCAA and several major conferences have been sued once again over athletes' compensation, and this time a current NFL player -- and prominent former Florida Gator -- is the lead plaintiff.

Sports Illustrated's Michael McCann reported Friday that Minnesota Vikings defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd is that plaintiff in a class-action lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court and the District of Minnesota, one naming the NCAA and 11 different conferences -- the 10 FBS fotball conferences, and the Atlantic Sun -- as defendants. The suit accuses the NCAA and the conferences of forming an "illegal cartel" that has worked to unfairly cap the value of athletic scholarships .

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...nferences-

As I stated earlier, once the P5 are allowed to provide benefits to student athlete, it will be IMPOSSIBLE for the NCAA to prevent conferences (like the G5) that have the resources to offer similar benefits from doing so to the best of their financial ability. And like I said, the legal challenges could come from the conferences, but the most effective challenge would come from athletes themselves. There would be little defense that the NCAA could mount since they have allowed the P5 to adopt these rules in the name of student athlete welfare. It would be difficult to then say, the G5, who are willing to finance many of the same changes---and who compete in the same division (and subdivision), cannot provide the same benefits where financially able. My guess is the conferences may think twice about stopping individual schools from adopting P5 autonomous rules to the best of their financial ability. But if conferences ARE able to stop implementation of these rules, this will lead to some realignment at various levels of the NCAA.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2014 05:00 PM by Attackcoog.)
04-27-2014 04:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

prp Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tartans!
RE: New Lawsuit vs the NCAA Names The P5 AND the G5
How did the Atlantic Sun get involved?
04-27-2014 05:45 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(04-27-2014 05:45 PM)prp Wrote:  How did the Atlantic Sun get involved?

Lol. No idea.
04-27-2014 06:14 PM
Advertisement

oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
That was a stupid mistake. G5 schools don't actually make that much money off of football.

The cost of a full ride to Tulane/SMU/Rice exceeds the value of services that most players at that school provide.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2014 06:31 PM by oliveandblue.)
04-27-2014 06:29 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(04-27-2014 06:14 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(04-27-2014 05:45 PM)prp Wrote:  How did the Atlantic Sun get involved?

Lol. No idea.

I'm guessing the FGCU tournament run.
04-27-2014 07:23 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(04-27-2014 04:58 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  once the P5 are allowed to provide benefits to student athlete, it will be IMPOSSIBLE for the NCAA to prevent conferences (like the G5) that have the resources to offer similar benefits from doing so to the best of their financial ability.

I don't see why you'd be happy about this as a G5 fan. It looks like the point of this lawsuit, and the Kessler lawsuit, is to argue that each school should be free to offer whatever benefits they want to their athletes without having their offer "capped" by the NCAA or the conference or anyone else.

If this argument wins, we're not talking about "full cost of attendance", we're talking about the big boys getting into bidding wars for blue-chip recruits and being able to raise the price for even 3-star FB and MBB players to something significantly higher than "full cost of attendance". If your school's best sport is baseball or swimming or track, maybe that's not a big deal, but if you care about your favorite school's ability to compete for FB and MBB recruits, then you'll be rooting for the NCAA and conferences to win these lawsuits.
04-27-2014 08:55 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(04-27-2014 08:55 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(04-27-2014 04:58 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  once the P5 are allowed to provide benefits to student athlete, it will be IMPOSSIBLE for the NCAA to prevent conferences (like the G5) that have the resources to offer similar benefits from doing so to the best of their financial ability.

I don't see why you'd be happy about this as a G5 fan. It looks like the point of this lawsuit, and the Kessler lawsuit, is to argue that each school should be free to offer whatever benefits they want to their athletes without having their offer "capped" by the NCAA or the conference or anyone else.

If this argument wins, we're not talking about "full cost of attendance", we're talking about the big boys getting into bidding wars for blue-chip recruits and being able to raise the price for even 3-star FB and MBB players to something significantly higher than "full cost of attendance". If your school's best sport is baseball or swimming or track, maybe that's not a big deal, but if you care about your favorite school's ability to compete for FB and MBB recruits, then you'll be rooting for the NCAA and conferences to win these lawsuits.

Yeah if anyone had any questions about FBS unity, this case is one instance where you are going to see unity.
04-27-2014 11:58 PM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(04-27-2014 04:58 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  In the last NCAA statement on autonomy, this paragraph alluded to some sort of vague "separation" of the P5 and--for the first time specifically mentioned he G5 as well as part of the group that would enjoy this "separation" from the rest of D1.

The board will seek feedback on some questions raised by members of governance bodies in recent days, including: the process by which items decided by the full division could become part of the list of autonomous areas; the voting, interpretation and enforcement processes within the five highest-profile conferences; and the core structure that separates not only the five highest-profile conferences into their own group but also continues a separation of the next five conferences (the American Athletic Conference, Conference-USA, Mid-American Conference, Mountain West Conference and Sun Belt Conference) from the remaining 22.
The reference to the "core structure" and "continuing the separation of the next five conferences from the remaining 22" is talking about the Football Bowl Subdivision and the CFP.

The simplest explanation for why the board mentioned that among the things its seeking feedback on is that is it the current structure, and people will want to be clear on how the proposed system works in the context of the current structure.
04-28-2014 12:28 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(04-28-2014 12:28 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(04-27-2014 04:58 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  In the last NCAA statement on autonomy, this paragraph alluded to some sort of vague "separation" of the P5 and--for the first time specifically mentioned he G5 as well as part of the group that would enjoy this "separation" from the rest of D1.

The reference to the "core structure" and "continuing the separation of the next five conferences from the remaining 22" is talking about the Football Bowl Subdivision and the CFP.

The simplest explanation for why the board mentioned that among the things its seeking feedback on is that is it the current structure, and people will want to be clear on how the proposed system works in the context of the current structure.

Perhaps. But it's also an acknoledgement of the fact that the FBS conferences are the schools most likely to need to have the ability to make changes that will blunt these lawsuits.
04-28-2014 12:58 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I don't know that "happy" would describe my reaction. Look, the P5 is going to make these changes---that's a given. The P5 are hoping that these changes will be enough to reduce or eliminate these suits. Given that reality---being able to match the P5 to the best of thier ability is about the best case senario for the G5 (that's better than not being able to match the P5 rules ---which was a possibility under the original proposal). None of this is good for the P5. Its more a matter of which is less bad.

All I have said is that the players suits would simply change targets if the P5 makes the necessary changes and the NCAA blocked the G5 from making as many of the same changes as they can (within the scope of the G5's more limited resources)--especially since the G5 would be asking for that same right as well. I suspect the NCAA knew that this suit was coming (or could easily predict that they are just around the corner) and saw no reasonable purpose in the "actionable" portion of the autonomous P5 powers proposal.

I don't think any G5 fan is hoping that these suits will succeed in turning college football into minor league pro football with employee/employer relationships and full free agency. That's basically the death of college football as we know it and a the birth of minor league football (which I wouldn't be interested in at all).
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2014 01:20 AM by Attackcoog.)
04-28-2014 01:04 AM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

Right. This is the concept of football player as employee reduced to absurdity. Free market compensation.
04-28-2014 07:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.