RPI
grol Offline
Baseball Fan

I Root For: Rice Owls

Donators
RPI
Aaron Fitt's piece:

RPI Analysis Requires a Closer Look

Quote:In the long term, I’d like to see the RPI formula tweaked again, perhaps so that a team’s three games against opponents with the worst winning percentages don’t get factored into its strength of schedule. That way, every team has one weekend of wiggle room.

Fitt uses Arkansas as his example of why the RPI doesn't tell the whole story.
04-25-2014 11:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DFW Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice
New Orleans Bowl
RE: RPI
I agree that RPI is very imperfect and should be one of many factors. However Arkansas has only one non-conference game on the road besides their Calif. trip. (That game is a short distance away vs. Mo. St.) Also it is their own fault they refuse to play any other in-state school.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2014 06:41 AM by DFW Owl.)
04-26-2014 06:40 AM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
It seems to me that for baseball at least, RPI in the CUSA is not an issue. With the addition of schools like Old Dominion and Middle Tennessee and two Florida schools, we seem to be getting some of the same built-in benefits that schools in the ACC and SEC have been getting for years. Plus with our usual NC games against strong RPI teams, we're in pretty good shape.
04-26-2014 07:08 AM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(04-26-2014 07:08 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  It seems to me that for baseball at least, RPI in the CUSA is not an issue. With the addition of schools like Old Dominion and Middle Tennessee and two Florida schools, we seem to be getting some of the same built-in benefits that schools in the ACC and SEC have been getting for years. Plus with our usual NC games against strong RPI teams, we're in pretty good shape.

+1...but it doesn't hurt that, unlike previous years, the conference is not top heavy, with 5 - 6 teams with RPIs higher than 150. At this point in the season, 6 other CUSA schools are in the Top 100, and only two are below #200 in the rankings.
04-26-2014 07:55 AM
grol Offline
Baseball Fan

Donators
(04-26-2014 07:55 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(04-26-2014 07:08 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  It seems to me that for baseball at least, RPI in the CUSA is not an issue. With the addition of schools like Old Dominion and Middle Tennessee and two Florida schools, we seem to be getting some of the same built-in benefits that schools in the ACC and SEC have been getting for years. Plus with our usual NC games against strong RPI teams, we're in pretty good shape.

+1...but it doesn't hurt that, unlike previous years, the conference is not top heavy, with 5 - 6 teams with RPIs higher than 150. At this point in the season, 6 other CUSA schools are in the Top 100, and only two are below #200 in the rankings.

And we haven't played series against teams that ended up with poor records (like Hawaii and Stanford last year). Those 4 games against Hawaii really hurt the RPI, IIRC.
04-26-2014 10:22 AM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
(04-26-2014 10:22 AM)grol Wrote:  
(04-26-2014 07:55 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

And we haven't played series against teams that ended up with poor records (like Hawaii and Stanford last year). Those 4 games against Hawaii really hurt the RPI, IIRC.

Purdue is pretty bad this year. They're 11-27.. Amazingly, Purdue and Tulane are the only teams that we've played that have losing records as of today.
04-26-2014 10:41 AM
Advertisement

13thOwl Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice University
Baseball GeniusDonatorsFootball Genius
(04-25-2014 11:57 PM)grol Wrote:  Aaron Fitt's piece:

Quote:In the long term, I’d like to see the RPI formula tweaked again, perhaps so that a team’s three games against opponents with the worst winning percentages don’t get factored into its strength of schedule. That way, every team has one weekend of wiggle room.

If the tweak was something along the lines of calculating RPI as it is currently done but excluding your three worst RPI games, then I would suggest Rice schedule sub200 teams during three of the weeks that Rice plays five games that week. I like that idea better than voluntarily reducing the number of games Rice plays in the Spring.
04-26-2014 10:54 AM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Where I disagree with Fitt on this one is that the anamoly this year is UH's high RPI; not so much Arkansas' relatively low RPI (which is the result of a cream-puff, home-baked OOC schedule). What's odd about the Coogs is that they've played so few road games and still have such a high RPI. The difference between them and the Razorbacks is the SoS of those home OOC games.
04-26-2014 10:59 AM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
(04-25-2014 11:57 PM)grol Wrote:  Aaron Fitt's piece:

That's ridiculous. The damage that they do is because of their non-conference scheduling, since they have hardly left home.
04-26-2014 11:30 AM
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Between the little one and finals coming up, I don't know if this got posted and I just missed it, but Boyd has added some really cool team analysis to his site. If you're on the RPI page, each team has a hot link.

Here's Rice's analysis. As you'll see, it shows exactly which teams helped keep our RPI up and which teams dragged it down.
04-26-2014 05:47 PM
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Tying this into the original topic, take a look at Arkansas: http://boydsworld.com/sa/arkansas.html

Nebraska and UNLV are the only two OOC opponents that they've played that have had a positive effect on their RPI.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2014 05:49 PM by texd.)
04-26-2014 05:49 PM
Advertisement

13thOwl Offline
Banned

(04-26-2014 05:47 PM)texd Wrote:  Between the little one and finals coming up, I don't know if this got posted and I just missed it, but Boyd has added some really cool team analysis to his site. If you're on the RPI page, each team has a hot link.

Here's Rice's analysis. As you'll see, it shows exactly which teams helped keep our RPI up and which teams dragged it down.

That is pretty cool. I liked the "local" school analysis.
04-26-2014 07:58 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(04-26-2014 10:54 AM)13thOwl Wrote:  If the tweak was something along the lines of calculating RPI as it is currently done but excluding your three worst RPI games, then I would suggest Rice schedule sub200 teams during three of the weeks that Rice plays five games that week. I like that idea better than voluntarily reducing the number of games Rice plays in the Spring.

The principal reason for elimintating five-game weeks has nothing to do with RPI or SoS.
04-26-2014 09:32 PM
13thOwl Offline
Banned

(04-26-2014 09:32 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(04-26-2014 10:54 AM)13thOwl Wrote:  If the tweak was something along the lines of calculating RPI as it is currently done but excluding your three worst RPI games, then I would suggest Rice schedule sub200 teams during three of the weeks that Rice plays five games that week. I like that idea better than voluntarily reducing the number of games Rice plays in the Spring.

The principal reason for elimintating five-game weeks has nothing to do with RPI or SoS.

I don't believe I made the case that it did. I believe the case to eliminate the give game weeks was that it put too much stress on the team. Thus, my recommendation that instead of eliminating three of those weeks, you could schedule three games against bad teams. Graham would not schedule those teams today under the current rules because they would be a RPI killer. My suggestion was an attempt to make the best out of a potential rule change.
04-26-2014 09:39 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(04-26-2014 09:39 PM)13thOwl Wrote:  

I don't believe I made the case that it did. I believe the case to eliminate the give game weeks was that it put too much stress on the team. Thus, my recommendation that instead of eliminating three of those weeks, you could schedule three games against bad teams.
I'm not sure that would do much to reduce the stresses people are concerned about when they talk about five-game weeks.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2014 10:28 PM by georgewebb.)
04-26-2014 10:27 PM
13thOwl Offline
Banned

(04-26-2014 10:27 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(04-26-2014 09:39 PM)13thOwl Wrote:  

I don't believe I made the case that it did. I believe the case to eliminate the give game weeks was that it put too much stress on the team. Thus, my recommendation that instead of eliminating three of those weeks, you could schedule three games against bad teams.
I'm not sure that would do much to reduce the stresses people are concerned about when they talk about five-game weeks.

Perhaps you are right. The primary stress is the fact there is a fifth game that week. Many teams don't have a ten day dead period during their baseball season, so they have less five game weeks than Rice. The stress is on the team. Playing three teams that might be seen as opportunities to play bench players and build depth might not be the stress reducer I had imagined. Why look for something potentially beneficial in a rule change that otherwise would not help Rice? So Rice probably would not benefit from such a rule change.
04-26-2014 11:10 PM
Advertisement

wheredidmypantsgo Offline
All American

I Root For: the Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
we're up to #5 in Boyd's rpi this morning

fair to say we've got a shot at a top 8 seed?

If we get a healthy Lemond back, we could be very dangerous in the post-season, given the seasoning some of our other pitchers have gotten due to Stephens/Lemond being out.
04-27-2014 08:29 AM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(04-27-2014 08:29 AM)wheredidmypantsgo Wrote:  we're up to #5 in Boyd's rpi this morning

fair to say we've got a shot at a top 8 seed?

If we get a healthy Lemond back, we could be very dangerous in the post-season, given the seasoning some of our other pitchers have gotten due to Stephens/Lemond being out.

A win today pretty much locks up our 19th consecutive conference championship...and you've got to believe the 10-day break will do wonders to Shane's and JC's injuries. Yes, getting a healthy Lemond back will be critically important to our post-season success, but I still believe the offense needs to crank it up several notches-- particularly in regards to efficiency and situational hitting-- if we are to a truly legitimate Omaha threat. We've got the talent and potential, we just need guys such as Aquino and Stainback to start hitting the way they have in the past.
04-27-2014 08:34 AM
grol Offline
Baseball Fan

Donators
Looking at the RPI rankings vs the ISR rankings today, I think the ISR gives a better picture of where we are relative to other teams.
04-27-2014 11:00 AM
13thOwl Offline
Banned

(04-27-2014 11:00 AM)grol Wrote:  Looking at the RPI rankings vs the ISR rankings today, I think the ISR gives a better picture of where we are relative to other teams.

Of course you are correct, but the team is 9-2 since April 8th and playing some pretty good baseball while experiencing some difficulties.

I do enjoy Rice being seriously included in the hosting conversation.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2014 11:12 AM by 13thOwl.)
04-27-2014 11:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.