ACC Market Analysis filed by UMD as part of legal brief
04-24-2014 01:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
Maryland's latest filing.
Seems they have submitted some ACC documents in order to support their anti-trust argument. It is interesting to note that in the documents, the ACC contends they are paid far more than what is being widely reported.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terr...orts&clsrd
04-24-2014 01:09 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
RE: ACC Market Analysis filed by UMD as part of legal brief
This is obviously a Powerpoint presentation intended for some audience. I would be curious to know who that audience would be.
04-24-2014 02:01 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-24-2014 02:01 PM)ken d Wrote:  This is obviously a Powerpoint presentation intended for some audience. I would be curious to know who that audience would be.

Internal audiences. Probably a state of the union sort of presentation.

It obviously is dated somewhere from February to March, 2013, based on the inclusion of 2013 recruiting classes and NCAA bid data that only includes numbers through the 2012 tournament. So it is over a year old.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2014 02:28 PM by CrazyPaco.)
04-24-2014 02:18 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(04-24-2014 02:18 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  
(04-24-2014 02:01 PM)ken d Wrote:  This is obviously a Powerpoint presentation intended for some audience. I would be curious to know who that audience would be.

It obviously is dated from February and March, 2013, based on the recruiting and NCAA bid data. So it is over a year old.

Excellent analysis on the date!

I guess now we know the value of the TV contract: $19.2M per team/year
Interesting to me that it's the 2nd highest per team... didn't expect that!
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2014 02:31 PM by Hokie Mark.)
04-24-2014 02:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-24-2014 02:30 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

It obviously is dated from February and March, 2013, based on the recruiting and NCAA bid data. So it is over a year old.

That's obviously including Notre Dame (which they seem to be counting as about a quarter share) and before any additional compensation from not having a network, if such reports of additional compensation were valid.

Other things that can be taken from this, 1) the Feb-March time frame indicates that the meeting with ESPN regarding a network would happen within 60-90 days...thus no later than June. Whatever happened in that meeting certainly didn't kill the prospects of the network, judging by the continued positive statements coming from ACC administrators and conference ADs since that time frame.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2014 03:26 PM by CrazyPaco.)
04-24-2014 03:25 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-24-2014 03:25 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  

That's obviously including Notre Dame (which they seem to be counting as about a quarter share) and before any additional compensation from not having a network, if such reports of additional compensation were valid.

Other things that can be taken from this, 1) the Feb-March time frame indicates that the meeting with ESPN regarding a network would happen within 60-90 days...thus no later than June. Whatever happened in that meeting certainly didn't kill the prospects of the network, judging by the continued positive statements coming from ACC administrators and conference ADs since that time frame.

You think it's 60-90 days from when the market analysis was released? I took it (the Washington Post article) to mean 60-90 days from today.
04-24-2014 03:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-24-2014 03:30 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

You think it's 60-90 days from when the market analysis was released? I took it (the Washington Post article) to mean 60-90 days from today.

That is straight from the report in the Television section (page 26)...so that meeting already happened.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2014 03:40 PM by CrazyPaco.)
04-24-2014 03:39 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-24-2014 03:39 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  
(04-24-2014 03:30 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(04-24-2014 02:18 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  Internal audiences. Probably a state of the union sort of presentation.

That is straight from the report in the Television section (page 26)...so that meeting already happened.

Ah, I missed that the first time. Good catch!
04-24-2014 03:42 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
Weak sauce. The document is unsigned, undated, has no footnotes, or citations.

Moreover the entire Maryland non-damage premise is based on conferences remaining static in number - the ACC staying at 15.

This shows just how stupid they are at MD. MD's argument holds a little water if conferences were fixed in size, but they are not so the loss of Maryland can not be "replaced" with Louisville no matter what Louisville does or does not add. Indeed the ACC can claim that by MD leaving, the ACC lost a shot at adding Penn State or brining ND in for 8 league football games.

MD is like a fool that takes a switchblade to a gun fight.
04-24-2014 03:48 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
a
(04-24-2014 03:48 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  Weak sauce. The document is unsigned, undated, has no footnotes, or citations.

Moreover the entire Maryland non-damage premise is based on conferences remaining static in number - the ACC staying at 15.

This shows just how stupid they are at MD. MD's argument holds a little water if conferences were fixed in size, but they are not so the loss of Maryland can not be "replaced" with Louisville no matter what Louisville does or does not add. Indeed the ACC can claim that by MD leaving, the ACC lost a shot at adding Penn State or brining ND in for 8 league football games.

MD is like a fool that takes a switchblade to a gun fight.

Well, of course it is legally weak sauce, but it is nice of them to indirectly leak an ACC promotional report all over the internet. The ACC would never be able to come out and publicly say how it compares favorably to other conferences by their actual names.

Now it goes without saying that I'm sure all the kooks in WV and the like will begin trying to spin it. Look for the infamous "Tier 3" cry of the galactically ignorant.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2014 04:17 PM by CrazyPaco.)
04-24-2014 04:04 PM
Advertisement

orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Critically, the report says nothing about how having Louisville compares to having Maryland. If anything, its emphasis on population and TV HH in the conference footprint as being the revelant metrics should suggest that the loss of UMD is extremely damaging since the state population of MD > KY and the DC TV Market > Louisville.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2014 04:43 PM by orangefan.)
04-24-2014 04:42 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-24-2014 04:42 PM)orangefan Wrote:  Critically, the report says nothing about how having Louisville compares to having Maryland. If anything, its emphasis on population and TV HH in the conference footprint as being the revelant metrics should suggest that the loss of UMD is extremely damaging since the state population of MD > KY and the DC TV Market > Louisville.

We can only speculate why they would include it. It may not be why we think.
04-24-2014 05:12 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(04-24-2014 04:42 PM)orangefan Wrote:  Critically, the report says nothing about how having Louisville compares to having Maryland. If anything, its emphasis on population and TV HH in the conference footprint as being the revelant metrics should suggest that the loss of UMD is extremely damaging since the state population of MD > KY and the DC TV Market > Louisville.

The report is just talking points for the ACC folks to take back and combat the Dude's of the world.

But let me restate - there is no exchange with Louisville and MD - MD is a loss because the ACC is not finite in size - that's what MD can't dance around. The B10 started talking about conferences at 16 and 18. The ACC can always assert that Louisivlle was planned as the 17th or 18th school with PSU as the 16th. As such Louisville does not "replace" MD.
04-24-2014 06:58 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(04-24-2014 05:12 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  

I think the folks at UM are dumb enough to think that it bolsters their "no damage" argument. This assumes stupidity on the part of others and that's a UM trait these last several years - the assumption that no one else thinks. This has traction for those that don't comprehend that conferences can grow to any size - they aren't very bright, but thank God, most judges are brighter than newspaper reporters.

MD wants to bamboozle folks by saying MD was worth say $30 million a year to the ACC, while Louisville is worth $40 million so the ACC is $10 million better off - hoping that no one will figure out that MD AND LOUISVILLE were worth $70 million to the ACC and $30 million took off and left the building. Everything MD says and argues is based on a finite, 14/15 member ACC.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2014 07:06 PM by lumberpack4.)
04-24-2014 07:03 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

(04-24-2014 07:03 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  
(04-24-2014 05:12 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  

I think the folks at UM are dumb enough to think that it bolsters their "no damage" argument. This assumes stupidity on the part of others and that's a UM trait these last several years - the assumption that no one else thinks. This has traction for those that don't comprehend that conferences can grow to any size - they aren't very bright, but thank God, most judges are brighter than newspaper reporters.

MD wants to bamboozle folks by saying MD was worth say $30 million a year to the ACC, while Louisville is worth $40 million so the ACC is $10 million better off - hoping that no one will figure out that MD AND LOUISVILLE were worth $70 million to the ACC and $30 million took off and left the building. Everything MD says and argues is based on a finite, 14/15 member ACC.

It would be useful to see the pleading to which this was attached. If someone could post a link, it would be appreciated. If you are correct, and I suspect you might be, a good lawyer or consultant should be able to show that it doesn't support this point at all.
04-24-2014 07:09 PM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Am I the only one who looked at this report and thought, "Gee, they might want to consider cleaning this up to be a more professional piece and then show this to the University of Texas administrators"?

03-lmfao
04-24-2014 08:07 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(04-24-2014 08:07 PM)omniorange Wrote:  Am I the only one who looked at this report and thought, "Gee, they might want to consider cleaning this up to be a more professional piece and then show this to the University of Texas administrators"?

03-lmfao

Dodds don't need to read boy. 04-cheers

Actually the quality is one of the reasons I think it's talking points rather than a legitimate report.
04-24-2014 08:22 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt

I'd agree it didn't kill it. But the fact that a year later there's still no consensus on whether a network is viable or not isn't all that promising, either.
04-24-2014 11:47 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt

Considering the SEC didn't re-up and instead started a network, and the Big Ten hasn't negotiated their new contract yet, it's not that surprising. It's just that 5 years from now, "total tv revenue" may look a bit different and much less favorable for the ACC.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2014 11:50 PM by Marge Schott.)
04-24-2014 11:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.