Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New public school bible history class
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
New public school bible history class
A neat idea,

The Mustang, Okla., school board voted Monday (April 14) to adopt a Bible course developed by Steve Green, clearing the way for the Hobby Lobby president, whose suit against the Affordable Care Act is currently before the U.S. Supreme Court, to enter another charged arena at the borderline of church and state.

The board, whose district is practically in Hobby Lobby’s Oklahoma City backyard, agreed to beta-test the first year of the Museum of the Bible Curriculum, an ambitious four-year public school elective on the narrative, history and impact of the Good Book.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/r...story.html
04-24-2014 07:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
RE: New public school bible history class
I understand this will be a prerequisite for a new science class, "How God uses hurricanes and tornadoes to punish liberals".
04-24-2014 08:26 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(04-24-2014 08:26 AM)ken d Wrote:  I understand this will be a prerequisite for a new science class, "How God uses hurricanes and tornadoes to punish liberals".

Just the crazy ones.
04-24-2014 08:27 AM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
The Hobby Lobby headquarters is a massive 7 mile long building. They are building a Bible museum on 7k acre plot across the street. This will be the new nemesis for liberals.
[Image: HLair.jpg]

Liberals will grow increasingly scared of this company and build it up to an evil fortress of Koch brother style conservatism.
04-24-2014 08:52 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-24-2014 08:52 AM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  The Hobby Lobby headquarters is a massive 7 mile long building. They are building a Bible museum on 7k acre plot across the street. This will be the new nemesis for liberals.

Liberals will grow increasingly scared of this company and build it up to an evil fortress of Koch brother style conservatism.

7 miles? If they were smart, they'd build it vertically instead of horizontally. That way, they wouldn't have to wait to die to get to heaven.
04-24-2014 08:59 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

(04-24-2014 08:52 AM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  The Hobby Lobby headquarters is a massive 7 mile long building. They are building a Bible museum on 7k acre plot across the street. This will be the new nemesis for liberals.

7 miles?
04-24-2014 08:59 AM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(04-24-2014 08:59 AM)ken d Wrote:  

7 miles? If they were smart, they'd build it vertically instead of horizontally. That way, they wouldn't have to wait to die to get to heaven.

It's been tried..

[Image: Babel.jpg]
04-24-2014 09:01 AM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-24-2014 08:59 AM)VA49er Wrote:  

7 miles?

Roughly, when you include all the offices and warehouses and loading docks. That is where Mardels, and Greco house their headquarters as well. It's huge.
04-24-2014 09:03 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
I think history classes on both the old and new testament are good ideas because of their historic nature.
04-24-2014 09:33 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
I think the elective study of any and all religions in public schools is perfectly appropriate. However I am not so down on a curriculum via this Green Scholars Initiative that seems to only support a biased review of the Bible. I can't imagine it remotely encourages critical thinking based on the description in the article so personally this type of preaching might be better left to Sundays at the local Church.

But, I prefer local control of local governments so have at it. It will be interesting to watch because the "Yatheist" are going to challenge this at every opportunity.
04-24-2014 09:51 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-24-2014 09:03 AM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  

7 miles?

Roughly, when you include all the offices and warehouses and loading docks. That is where Mardels, and Greco house their headquarters as well. It's huge.

That makes it 7 miles long and 150 feet wide. That's not as much a building as it is a wind tunnel.
04-24-2014 10:03 AM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
I don't really care that they're doing this. As long as religious classes aren't required and aren't a part of science classes, then I'm fine with it. My school taught Greek Mythology, and I don't really view the bible any differently than I view that.
04-24-2014 10:13 AM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-24-2014 10:03 AM)ken d Wrote:  

7 miles?

That makes it 7 miles long and 150 feet wide. That's not as much a building as it is a wind tunnel.

It's the liberal nemesis Ken. The compound of evil conservatism forcing religion on the world.
04-24-2014 10:15 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
I have no problem with it. It is an elective. I took a bible study class while at the University of Cincinnati as an elective that I enjoyed.
04-24-2014 10:15 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-24-2014 09:33 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  I think history classes on both the old and new testament are good ideas because of their historic nature.

If you were to teach how the bible has impacted western civilization in an unbiased way, that would probably be an interesting college course. If you were to teach the bible as if it were history, or even an attempt to portray history, that would be akin to teaching Shakespeare's plays as if they were history as well. As history, the bible has no value. As literature, or as anthropology, it has great value to students mature enough to examine it critically. That excludes high school students.

I can't imagine this course, in this place, being anything more than an attempt to promote the views of one subset of Christian believers over those of other Christians and non-Christians. But it's Oklahoma. What would you expect?
04-24-2014 10:18 AM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-24-2014 10:18 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(04-24-2014 09:33 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  I think history classes on both the old and new testament are good ideas because of their historic nature.

If you were to teach how the bible has impacted western civilization in an unbiased way, that would probably be an interesting college course. If you were to teach the bible as if it were history, or even an attempt to portray history, that would be akin to teaching Shakespeare's plays as if they were history as well. As history, the bible has no value. As literature, or as anthropology, it has great value to students mature enough to examine it critically. That excludes high school students.

I can't imagine this course, in this place, being anything more than an attempt to promote the views of one subset of Christian believers over those of other Christians and non-Christians. But it's Oklahoma. What would you expect?

Ken, I'm afraid this is only go to spread to other parts of the country. The Christian agenda is taking ahold.
04-24-2014 10:19 AM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-24-2014 10:15 AM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  

7 miles?

It's the liberal nemesis Ken. The compound of evil conservatism forcing religion on the world.

It's a warehouse. That's not very scary.
04-24-2014 10:21 AM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-24-2014 10:21 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(04-24-2014 10:15 AM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  
(04-24-2014 08:59 AM)VA49er Wrote:  7 miles?

It's a warehouse. That's not very scary.

It's about ten whorehouses and a huge corporate office. It's a Christian compound Ken. The halls are lined with crosses and chapels.
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/11714...us-project
04-24-2014 10:26 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
As an elective the real question is why not?
04-24-2014 10:28 AM
EpicNiner Offline
Special Teams

(04-24-2014 10:28 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  As an elective the real question is why not?

If it is taxpayer funded (I haven't read the article so I don't know if the classes will be funded with tax dollars), students should have the option of studying other religions as well.

Cabarrus county high schools in NC have bible classes but that doesn't bother me as much because the funds for supplies and teacher salary are all privately donated.
04-24-2014 10:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.