Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

STUDENT ATHLETES
Bookmark and Share
Jmubarkers Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Jmu
STUDENT ATHLETES
Can we please once and for all stop the posting about how much harder and strenuous it is to be an athlete at D1 schools.

1.its a choice
2.its a choice that comes with far more pros that enhance your college experience than cons
3. Its a choice that if other students had the particular talent to have, most would take that choice
4.enough with the unfairness of drug tests and academic standards....you go to school for a lot more "free" than the regular student and are admired not for the student part in "student athlete" but for the athlete part. Therefore you are held to a different standard.
04-23-2014 10:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ShadyP Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
RE: STUDENT ATHLETES
(04-23-2014 10:35 AM)Jmubarkers Wrote:  Can we please once and for all stop the posting about how much harder and strenuous it is to be an athlete at D1 schools.

1.its a choice
2.its a choice that comes with far more pros that enhance your college experience than cons
3. Its a choice that if other students had the particular talent to have, most would take that choice
4.enough with the unfairness of drug tests and academic standards....you go to school for a lot more "free" than the regular student and are admired not for the student part in "student athlete" but for the athlete part. Therefore you are held to a different standard.

Agree 10000000%.

If you don't want to adhere to NCAA rules/policies or team rules just opt out and choose not to participate in NCAA level competition at JMU. Go be a regular student and go get'em and UREC and play intramural/club sports.
04-23-2014 10:45 AM
Hotrod829 Offline
All American

(04-23-2014 10:35 AM)Jmubarkers Wrote:  Can we please once and for all stop the posting about how much harder and strenuous it is to be an athlete at D1 schools.

1.its a choice

First , I never stated I had an issue with the NCAA testing procedures. The unfairness I speak of is having to be tested by two entities. One of which does not govern college football. Just because it's a choice doesn't mean you have to deal with policies that may seem unethical to some. I know athletes who quit because of the structure of college athletics.

Second , nothing comes free to a student athlete. There are a ton of man hours put in to sustain the high quality of play and eligibility. If you have never been an student athlete at a high level then I wouldn't expect you to understand.
This 12 staple scar I have on my leg for life came at a cost .

I usually don't respond to people who use the term free and student athlete either.
04-23-2014 11:01 AM
Jmubarkers Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Jmu
(04-23-2014 11:01 AM)Hotrod829 Wrote:  

1.its a choice

First , I never stated I had an issue with the NCAA testing procedures. The unfairness I speak of is having to be tested by two entities. One of which does not govern college football. Just because it's a choice doesn't mean you have to deal with policies that may seem unethical to some. I know athletes who quit because of the structure of college athletics.

Second , nothing comes free to a student athlete. There are a ton of man hours put in to sustain the high quality of play and eligibility. If you have never been an student athlete at a high level then I wouldn't expect you to understand.

I usually don't respond to people who use the term free and student athlete either.

No one was referring to you, and I did play d1 sports at a bcs school. Regardless of the obligations that come after you matriculate to campus. You don't have to pay tuition which is what I refer to as free as opposed to regular students. Who by the way also have other expenses besides tuition. I'm not one to say that athletes don't deserve more compensation for contribution to school. But the benefits far out way the cons, especially at JMU.

Sorry about leg too, in my case it was my shoulder that still causes me problems, I Wouldn't trade a second of playing d1 basketball to get it back to perfect strength.
04-23-2014 11:17 AM
Hotrod829 Offline
All American

(04-23-2014 11:17 AM)Jmubarkers Wrote:  
(04-23-2014 11:01 AM)Hotrod829 Wrote:  

1.its a choice

No one was referring to you, and I did play d1 sports at a bcs school. Regardless of the obligations that come after you matriculate to campus. You don't have to pay tuition which is what I refer to as free as opposed to regular students. Who by the way also have other expenses besides tuition. I'm not one to say that athletes don't deserve more compensation for contribution to school. But the benefits far out way the cons, especially at JMU.

Sorry about leg too, in my case it was my shoulder that still causes me problems, I Wouldn't trade a second of playing d1 basketball to get it back to perfect strength.

Thanks , and we just won't agree on the benefits vs cons.
04-23-2014 11:18 AM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

The amount of pity and woe is me attitudes about the poor athletes is astounding. They receive a $100,000 education for free along with many other perks. Poor darlings have to pee in a cup for the privilege. What have we become? What have we become?

I think Division III is the only pure college athletic experience remaining. Play for the love of the sport and team.
04-23-2014 12:14 PM
Advertisement

JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
(04-23-2014 12:14 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  The amount of pity and woe is me attitudes about the poor athletes is astounding. They receive a $100,000 education for free along with many other perks. Poor darlings have to pee in a cup for the privilege. What have we become? What have we become?

I think Division III is the only pure college athletic experience remaining. Play for the love of the sport and team.

My wife was a D3 athlete. You play for the love of the sport/competition and nothing else. Frankly, it is refreshing to watch that level of athletics.
04-23-2014 12:22 PM
MadisonTownie Offline
Water Engineer

(04-23-2014 12:14 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  The amount of pity and woe is me attitudes about the poor athletes is astounding. They receive a $100,000 education for free along with many other perks. Poor darlings have to pee in a cup for the privilege. What have we become? What have we become?

Drug testing stuff aside, you can't really blame the athletes for bringing money into big DI sports when the old guys running everything are the ones who are essentially printing cash for themselves with television contracts.

This is an incredibly vast and complicated topic and one that is almost certainly not suited for this message board in its current temperament. Right now, the vast majority of collegiate athletes aren't even demanding money, they just want to start by TALKING about things like medical needs, personal licensing, etc. For all its stumbles, the NCAA has done a fairly masterful job of painting them all as crybabies demanding a wad of cash in the locker room after every contest.
04-23-2014 12:22 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom

Or club sports. The guys and girls that go out and play on the Rugby teams, probably the hockey club, skiing whatever, put in a pretty hefty number of hours and level of commitment just to continue with something they love, or to scratch that competitive itch.

No one paid my tuition to blow out my left knee playing prop, nor the busted coccyx, or cracked ribs. The biggest disappointment with getting banged up was the time lost from being back out on the field (ya, I know, pitch) with your teammates.

It did make holding down a job at the same time an additional challenge, but somehow thousands of club athletes manage every season to do ALL of that and still stay in school without the added benefits of tutors, hand holders and other amenities.

Woe is the D1 scholarship athlete.. haha
04-23-2014 12:25 PM
JMaddy Offline
All American

(04-23-2014 12:22 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  

My wife was a D3 athlete. You play for the love of the sport/competition and nothing else. Frankly, it is refreshing to watch that level of athletics.

So when people said we're going MAC they meant "Middle Atlantic Conference" (MAC) of Division III NCAA football? Makes sense.
04-23-2014 12:27 PM
Hotrod829 Offline
All American

There goes that term for free. As an employee at JMU you can take classes at JMU for with no cost. Is it free since since you are employed by the university.

Jeff Bourne has been making close to 50 k a year just managing the athletics at JMU. If there every came a day where club sports can bring in a crowd and offer a profit they would hire an AD as well. When club basketball at JMU plays club basketball at VT there are no checks being thousand dollar play us checks being exchanged.

Division one college sports is a business. I committed to a division three school before I was recruited by JMU my senior yr. The D3 school insisted that I go D1 for
Better competition and money. The NCAA has been fooling people with this student athlete title. Then when athletes go to class and learn about economics and labor , we then understand this is a business . If I didn't run a 4.4 and could tackle I would have gladly paid for my education. An education which is a CHOICE, regular students DO NOT have to attend college.

Nothing is free , all the gear has some type of athletic purpose. A student can't wear none of that gear to a presentation or a business meeting.
04-23-2014 12:44 PM
Advertisement

BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I'll bet if you told the athletes right up front, just before they signed their contract, that after they got to campus, they would be having a urinalysis every Monday morning to check for drugs in their system, they would still sign their contract, and the rate of drug use would go way down upon administering this weekly procedure. The only reason they continue to do drugs is because they think they will not get caught. The "I'll take my chances" attitude eventually gets them.

If I were an athlete and loved my sport. If I really loved playing the game, you could test me every day, by every entity available, and you'd never find an illegal substance in my body.

Kids face little consequences. They/we are stupid when it comes to understanding that actions will be judged, whether present day or in the future. My Dad would've had me dig a hole in the ground 6' x 6' x 6', then fill is back up and move me to another location and have me do it all over again until he knew that I was getting the message should I have screwed up a scholarship from JMU.

Today we coddle our young people as you'd protect a baby until they are....well, up until the day they die.
04-23-2014 12:48 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(04-23-2014 12:44 PM)Hotrod829 Wrote:  

There goes that term for free. As an employee at JMU you can take classes at JMU for with no cost. Is it free since since you are employed by the university.

Jeff Bourne has been making close to 50 k a year just managing the athletics at JMU. If there every came a day where club sports can bring in a crowd and offer a profit they would hire an AD as well. When club basketball at JMU plays club basketball at VT there are no checks being thousand dollar play us checks being exchanged.

Division one college sports is a business. I committed to a division three school before I was recruited by JMU my senior yr. The D3 school insisted that I go D1 for
Better competition and money. The NCAA has been fooling people with this student athlete title. Then when athletes go to class and learn about economics and labor , we then understand this is a business . If I didn't run a 4.4 and could tackle I would have gladly paid for my education. An education which is a CHOICE, regular students DO NOT have to attend college.

Nothing is free , all the gear has some type of athletic purpose. A student can't wear none of that gear to a presentation or a business meeting.

Can someone please decipher the point of this post for me? Thx.
04-23-2014 12:53 PM
Hotrod829 Offline
All American

(04-23-2014 12:53 PM)JMUDunk Wrote:  

Called a response to points made in previous posts.
04-23-2014 01:05 PM
JMUDuke25 Offline
All American

(04-23-2014 01:05 PM)Hotrod829 Wrote:  
(04-23-2014 12:53 PM)JMUDunk Wrote:  

Called a response to points made in previous posts.

I don't know what you're saying either other than taking task with the term "free". Fine, athletes practice for 20 hours a week and have to stay in shape in return for getting their education paid for, housing paid for, food paid for, and other perks.
04-23-2014 01:07 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

Darn! Can you believe it, athletes have to stay in shape. As opposed to paying for a trainer, club membership, or just what else is it opposing. Being FAT and lazy? You can't just make this stuff up. People really feel this way.
04-23-2014 01:54 PM
Advertisement

Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
Re: STUDENT ATHLETES
I had a similar discussion last night with 2 of our employees. We intentionally recruit Student-Athletes from ACC and SEC schools and the 2 guys I talked to were football players prior to joining our company.
Both have some developing business savvy and an interesting take on the Student-Athlete issues at hand. They both felt D-1 athletes had more than enough perks and lived a blessed college experience vs the average Joe. Their only wish was that student athletes get a small stipend for the Summer to cover the fact that they can't work. Voluntary workouts limit their ability to earn enough spending money in the few months that school isn't in session.

How much does a kid need to make in 3 Summer months? Not much. They both felt the $2, 000 number being thrown around was adequate to offset potential earnings they might make if they had worked.

I disagreed because I thought eating at Taco Bell on Sunday was a treat while in college. When you don't have much money, the little things are considered a splurge.

IMO, The scholarship, room & board, academic support etc are more than enough in exchange for playing a D-1 sport. It is simply an entitlement mindset of the less experienced generation who thinks thwy are owed something more. Many have real trouble distinguishing between WANT and NEED.
I have an 18 and 20 year old in my home. Neither one of them gets it either.
They want many things that they haven't earned or even deserve yet failing to recognize that there are a million kids just like them who will absolutely take what they have and not complain for one second.
04-23-2014 02:35 PM
jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
(04-23-2014 02:35 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  I had a similar discussion last night with 2 of our employees. We intentionally recruit Student-Athletes from ACC and SEC schools and the 2 guys I talked to were football players prior to joining our company.
Both have some developing business savvy and an interesting take on the Student-Athlete issues at hand. They both felt D-1 athletes had more than enough perks and lived a blessed college experience vs the average Joe. Their only wish was that student athletes get a small stipend for the Summer to cover the fact that they can't work. Voluntary workouts limit their ability to earn enough spending money in the few months that school isn't in session.

How much does a kid need to make in 3 Summer months? Not much. They both felt the $2, 000 number being thrown around was adequate to offset potential earnings they might make if they had worked.

I disagreed because I thought eating at Taco Bell on Sunday was a treat while in college. When you don't have much money, the little things are considered a splurge.

IMO, The scholarship, room & board, academic support etc are more than enough in exchange for playing a D-1 sport. It is simply an entitlement mindset of the less experienced generation who thinks thwy are owed something more. Many have real trouble distinguishing between WANT and NEED.
I have an 18 and 20 year old in my home. Neither one of them gets it either.
They want many things that they haven't earned or even deserve yet failing to recognize that there are a million kids just like them who will absolutely take what they have and not complain for one second.

It is simply an entitlement mindset of the less experienced generation who thinks thwy are owed something more. Many have real trouble distinguishing between WANT and NEED. Spot on. There is a much bigger societal issue at work here.
04-23-2014 03:29 PM
FBM2014 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: JMUDukes
This thread needs to die.

Also, for all of you crying about athletes who should play only for love of game...

First, with as much time as they put in they more than just like it.

And lastly, how about you go to work and expect nothing in return because you love your job so much.

Yeah. Thats what I thought.

Lotta bitc**** & moaning on this thread.
RIP

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
04-23-2014 03:50 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

Wants and Needs....a lesson my grandmother instilled into my father and down the line. Heard that one many times growing up. It did make me stronger though, knowing that I had to work odd jobs to get the "extras".
04-23-2014 03:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.