Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Candidates for Baseball Coach
Bookmark and Share
HooDukeVooDuke Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: JMU
Given the performance of the baseball team so far this season, I hope admin is developing a list of potential replacements for Spanky once the coaching carousel starts up in May. Does anyone have a favorite pick for the replacement? My key attributes would be "young" = less than 40, experience recruiting in VA, some ties to a "respected" college program (UVA, Vandy, Texas, FSU, UNC), and a proven commitment to high academic standards. Plus he or she (that would be pretty cool actually) must be willing to work for Jeff Bourne for $80K/year.

Spanky may pull the team together and make this a nonissue, but it's not looking good right now.
04-21-2014 08:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMaddy Offline
All American

RE: Candidates for Baseball Coach
Hire the liberty coach and make him get a pentagram tattoo to "cleanse" him from the devil in Lynchburg
04-21-2014 08:45 PM
jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
(04-21-2014 08:45 PM)JMaddy Wrote:  Hire the liberty coach and make him get a pentagram tattoo to "cleanse" him from the devil in Lynchburg

I laughed at this. though, no doubt he'd be an upgrade
04-21-2014 08:54 PM
Big Duke Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jmu
Let's see if I get this right. We Fired the Football Coach, need to fire the Baseball and Basketball Coaches, the AD, the President and King( not sure of his title). We at JMU are in bad shape. Did I miss anyone?
04-21-2014 08:56 PM
jmutoml757 Offline
All American

(04-21-2014 08:56 PM)Big Duke Wrote:  Let's see if I get this right. We Fired the Football Coach, need to fire the Baseball and Basketball Coaches, the AD, the President and King( not sure of his title). We at JMU are in bad shape. Did I miss anyone?

the artist that rendered the new convo- don't forget him/her.
04-21-2014 08:58 PM
dukes13 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Dukes of JMU
Here's a list from 2013 of the top assistant coaches in the country
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/col...14502.html

UVA and UNC have a couple of coaches on the list. I would definitely head to Liberty and try to get their head coach, he's done a great job the past few years and they have a stacked team this year.

I would have to think the short list would be comprised of the top assistant coaches list and LU's coach.
04-21-2014 08:59 PM
Advertisement

JMU_Newbill Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU & Whoever Plays VT
(04-21-2014 08:56 PM)Big Duke Wrote:  Let's see if I get this right. We Fired the Football Coach, need to fire the Baseball and Basketball Coaches, the AD, the President and King( not sure of his title). We at JMU are in bad shape. Did I miss anyone?

Make fun if you want but they are all severely underperforming.
04-21-2014 09:01 PM
jmutoml757 Offline
All American

(04-21-2014 08:59 PM)dukes13 Wrote:  Here's a list from 2013 of the top assistant coaches in the country
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/col...14502.html

UVA and UNC have a couple of coaches on the list. I would definitely head to Liberty and try to get their head coach, he's done a great job the past few years and they have a stacked team this year.

I would have to think the short list would be comprised of the top assistant coaches list and LU's coach.

reality is that the LU coach would be dumb to leave there to come to JMU. They can probably pay him more, and the facility is first class. Plus, they are building a nice program. CAA may be some better than the big south in baseball; I don't know. But I can't imagine it's that much better.
04-21-2014 09:03 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
I believe spanky's contract runs through 2015. He's not going anywhere. We're not spending the money to buy out a baseball coach.
That's not even including the fact that we are looking at likely needing to find a new basketball coach.
04-21-2014 09:14 PM
jmu@uva Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: James&Thomas
Karl Kuhn. UVA pitching coach. I think he is ready to be a head coach and would be interested in an opportunity in Virginia so he wouldn't necessarily have to uproot his family (he has young kids).
04-21-2014 09:17 PM
jmu@uva Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: James&Thomas
We need to fix our pitching both from a coaching and recruiting standpoint. I would argue Karl Kuhn satisfies both of these focal points from a pitching upgrade standpoint.
04-21-2014 09:20 PM
Advertisement

Rock House Duke Offline
1st String

^^^ I agree with this.
04-21-2014 10:32 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

JMU doesn't need to buy Spanky out, just reassign him to something else (something he can't screw up), and then hire any number of young, ambitious coaches. The JMU HC position in baseball is a plum job...but we need a clean sweep of the entire staff to rebuild the program.
04-22-2014 08:00 AM
HolyCityDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: Duke Doge
(04-22-2014 08:00 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  JMU doesn't need to buy Spanky out, just reassign him to something else (something he can't screw up), and then hire any number of young, ambitious coaches. The JMU HC position in baseball is a plum job...but we need a clean sweep of the entire staff to rebuild the program.

I'm not sure any JMU HC job is a "plum" job. I wouldn't want to work for a school/company that has no direction.
04-22-2014 08:32 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(04-22-2014 08:32 AM)HolyCityDuke Wrote:  
(04-22-2014 08:00 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  JMU doesn't need to buy Spanky out, just reassign him to something else (something he can't screw up), and then hire any number of young, ambitious coaches. The JMU HC position in baseball is a plum job...but we need a clean sweep of the entire staff to rebuild the program.

I'm not sure any JMU HC job is a "plum" job. I wouldn't want to work for a school/company that has no direction.

Point taken.
But in all seriousness if the JMU baseball HC was open it is a position that would garner a lot of interest. When Spanky is replaced it will be imperative to bring in someone with ties to the state of Virginia.
04-22-2014 08:35 AM
HolyCityDuke Offline
All American

(04-22-2014 08:35 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  
(04-22-2014 08:32 AM)HolyCityDuke Wrote:  

Point taken.
But in all seriousness if the JMU baseball HC was open it is a position that would garner a lot of interest. When Spanky is replaced it will be imperative to bring in someone with ties to the state of Virginia.

And you feel our admin can do this? (ie. look at basketball)
04-22-2014 08:36 AM
Advertisement

Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

i've spoken to Bourne many times. And he gets WAAAY too much grief on here that is completely undeserved. He is a good knowledgeable person who is much better than many of you think.

that said, I do think it's time for a new AD. Sometimes a fresh perspective is needed. With many of our programs vastly under performing and some recent decisions that have been botched that I would view as falling on the AD's door, a change is needed at that position IMO.
04-22-2014 08:41 AM
HolyCityDuke Offline
All American

(04-22-2014 08:41 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  i've spoken to Bourne many times. And he gets WAAAY too much grief on here that is completely undeserved. He is a good knowledgeable person who is much better than many of you think.

that said, I do think it's time for a new AD. Sometimes a fresh perspective is needed. With many of our programs vastly under performing and some recent decisions that have been botched that I would view as falling on the AD's door, a change is needed at that position IMO.

Wait... What? You stick up for Bourne when people complain about his decision making, then agree with what people complain about?
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2014 08:44 AM by HolyCityDuke.)
04-22-2014 08:44 AM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(04-22-2014 08:44 AM)HolyCityDuke Wrote:  
(04-22-2014 08:41 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  i've spoken to Bourne many times. And he gets WAAAY too much grief on here that is completely undeserved. He is a good knowledgeable person who is much better than many of you think.

Wait... What? You stick up for Bourne when people complain about his decision making, then agree with what people complain about?

wait....what?

Bourne gets ripped for conference realignment for no reason. It's not his call. He WANTS to move to FBS. Has for a long time.

But Bourne IS responsible for other decisions related to coaching hires and fires. And in that respect, I feel he has made some bad calls recently. just like with MM, sometimes you thank someone for their contributions, but it's just time for a change.
04-22-2014 08:47 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I have a hard time pulling that trigger unless you restructure first. Answering to a Finance VP has created a situation where all parties can point blame, somewhat believably, at the other while never being fully accountable yourself. I think the admin enjoys the current situation as it relates to plausible deniability. Agree to blame each other to constituents, while making errors collaboratively in private.

That said, JB deserves to operate as a normal D1 AD, answering to Alger.
04-22-2014 08:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.