Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Reducing the rate of uninsured
dawgitall Online
Heisman

I Root For: ECU/ASU/NCSU
Reducing the rate of uninsured
It will be a while before we know how much the uninsured rate will be in 2014. There are estimates and surveys but it will be a year or so before we know for sure. Here are a few estimates based on some of the surveys.

Quote:It will be months at least, and more likely years, before we know how many people gained coverage because of the ACA. There are a variety of different surveys and analyses — some plodding but robust by the Census Bureau, others smaller snapshots by think tanks, pollsters and consulting companies that are more timely but less definitive. Each has its own way of posing questions, slicing answers and sample size.

The early answers provide a wide range of estimates. For instance, outside groups’ early assessments of the law’s success so far in reducing the uninsured rate range from 5.4 million newly covered Americans (the quarterly Urban Institute’s Health Reform Monitoring Survey, funded in part by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation) to 9.3 million (the RAND survey).

The nonpartisan CBO’s most recent projection, released this week, estimates that 12 million Americans would get coverage in 2014 thanks to Obamacare. It’s a figure bolstered by the release Wednesday of a Gallup survey, which found that 4 percent of Americans are newly insured in 2014 — about half of them through the exchanges.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/04/ob...z2zUDdVSgd
04-20-2014 10:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
RE: Reducing the rate of uninsured
Just found out that my Insurance is going up about 25% this year and my deductible is going from 1,000$ up to 6,000$... Thanks AFA! You've made my health insurance less affordable..
04-20-2014 10:48 PM
dawgitall Online
Heisman

(04-20-2014 10:48 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Just found out that my Insurance is going up about 25% this year and my deductible is going from 1,000$ up to 6,000$... Thanks AFA! You've made my health insurance less affordable..

It is April. How are you just now finding this out?
04-20-2014 10:51 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
(04-20-2014 10:48 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Just found out that my Insurance is going up about 25% this year and my deductible is going from 1,000$ up to 6,000$... Thanks AFA! You've made my health insurance less affordable..
You should switch companies or stop making things up.
04-20-2014 11:56 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(04-20-2014 11:56 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  

I gave a percentage and a deductible... How on earth did you divine enough from that to know how good/bad my plan is or that I am a liar...

If you must know....

I used to work for a health care company. I know therefore what the plans cost last year and this year. I left for another job, and upon taking it I recognised the plan and saw the cost...

I also have talked to people at my new company who have relayed the change they saw this year over last year.

Now... Morgan Stanley just produced a study which shows rates are going up at the highest clip

""There are specific states with exorbitant increases," Gottlieb said. "Delaware had 100 percent increase, Florida had a 37 percent increase, Pennsylvania 28 percent increase, California had a 53 percent increase in their premiums." "

Do you understand how insurance companies set rates?
04-21-2014 12:12 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(04-20-2014 10:17 PM)dawgitall Wrote:  It will be a while before we know how much the uninsured rate will be in 2014. There are estimates and surveys but it will be a year or so before we know for sure. Here are a few estimates based on some of the surveys.

These estimates don't quote NET figures ... which is what matters. Having 5 million enroll is useless if you pushed 7 million out of insurance due to skyrocketing premiums.

(04-20-2014 10:17 PM)dawgitall Wrote:  It is April. How are you just now finding this out?

Employer mandate comes home to roost at the end of this year. April of last year was when self-employed and individual buyers (like me) started to get word of the skyrocketing cost and cancellation letters. He is ahead of the curve on getting ****ed. Come July the trickle will be slow stream. By September it will be a small river. By mid-term elections it will, in spite of all possible efforts by the Democrats (unless Obama illegally delays the mandate by fiat) the river will grow into a torrent. By December it will be a tsunami.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2014 11:06 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
04-21-2014 01:52 AM
Advertisement

GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
So much money spent for minus results for insurance.
[Image: sbr100512dAPR20121004114512_zps0ef9204a.jpg~original]
04-21-2014 03:55 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
Wasn't Obamacare passed primarily to provide health insurance for the 30 (or 40 or 45 or 50) million uninsured?
04-21-2014 07:32 AM
AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

I Root For: Braves
(04-21-2014 07:32 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  Wasn't Obamacare passed primarily to provide health insurance for the 30 (or 40 or 45 or 50) million uninsured?

It’s gym membership mentality, they really don’t need all of those
people to sign up as long as the few that did never go to work out.
04-21-2014 08:44 AM
EagleX Offline
Wake me when the suck is over

I Root For: Southern Miss
(04-21-2014 07:32 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  Wasn't Obamacare passed primarily to provide health insurance for the 30 (or 40 or 45 or 50) million uninsured?

the 50MM number has always been a liberal fairy tale.

it was dishonestly sold to us as a cost control bill. "bend the cost curve down", & etc. obviously, that's because covering the uninsured isn't a particularly sexy sounding objective during a down economy.

but it was always a universal coverage bill masquerading as a cost control bill.
04-21-2014 09:23 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
My plan stayed exactly the same with the start of the new year.

Except for the 25% premium increase.
04-21-2014 09:27 AM
Advertisement

dawgitall Online
Heisman

(04-21-2014 09:27 AM)Smaug Wrote:  My plan stayed exactly the same with the start of the new year.

Results vary but my employer based coverage improved (deductible, co-insurance, etc.) and going from a 70/30 to a 80/20. I switched my daughter from my plan to a BCBS university policy. When all was said and done I saved about $80 a month in premiums and have better coverage.
04-21-2014 10:08 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
(04-21-2014 12:12 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(04-20-2014 11:56 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  

I gave a percentage and a deductible... How on earth did you divine enough from that to know how good/bad my plan is or that I am a liar...

If you must know....

I used to work for a health care company. I know therefore what the plans cost last year and this year. I left for another job, and upon taking it I recognised the plan and saw the cost...

I also have talked to people at my new company who have relayed the change they saw this year over last year.

Now... Morgan Stanley just produced a study which shows rates are going up at the highest clip

""There are specific states with exorbitant increases," Gottlieb said. "Delaware had 100 percent increase, Florida had a 37 percent increase, Pennsylvania 28 percent increase, California had a 53 percent increase in their premiums." "

Wait...you changed jobs and you're blaming your new costs on the ACA? And you know what component of the price increase is directly related to the ACA how exactly?

Most all work plans pre-ACA...especially at a company with any size whatsoever...were already mostly all ACA compliant. My costs didn't change at all from last year.

Sure sounds like you're making stuff up.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2014 10:10 AM by Redwingtom.)
04-21-2014 10:10 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(04-21-2014 10:10 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  Wait...you changed jobs and you're blaming your new costs on the ACA? And you know what component of the price increase is directly related to the ACA how exactly?

Talked to people at the new shop about their change.... It's not rocket science Tom...

Everywhere premiums are going up more than they have in a decade and my workplace is no exception.

04-21-2014 10:16 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(04-21-2014 10:08 AM)dawgitall Wrote:  
(04-21-2014 09:27 AM)Smaug Wrote:  My plan stayed exactly the same with the start of the new year.

Results vary but my employer based coverage improved (deductible, co-insurance, etc.) and going from a 70/30 to a 80/20. I switched my daughter from my plan to a BCBS university policy. When all was said and done I saved about $80 a month in premiums and have better coverage.

How nice for you.
04-21-2014 10:19 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(04-21-2014 10:16 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(04-21-2014 10:10 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  Wait...you changed jobs and you're blaming your new costs on the ACA? And you know what component of the price increase is directly related to the ACA how exactly?

Talked to people at the new shop about their change.... It's not rocket science Tom...

Everywhere premiums are going up more than they have in a decade and my workplace is no exception.

Again...my rate basically stayed the same from last year.

And how do you know which part of the increase was driven directly by the ACA?

Most likely, the company just pushed more costs onto the employees to help their bottom line.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2014 10:38 AM by Redwingtom.)
04-21-2014 10:37 AM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
I'm on my wife's insurance and we saw no change whatsoever.
04-21-2014 10:39 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

The dumbest thing about the supposed conspiracy at the Census bureau is that there are myriad other ways to count changes in the uninsured rate. Census is only one of them. Purposely changing that methodology to achieve a desired result would stick out like a sore thumb when other analyses are done.
04-21-2014 10:43 AM
EagleX Offline
Wake me when the suck is over

I Root For: Southern Miss

yeah, but think about the free pap smears and mammograms you're entitled to now! and if you should become pregnant, it's totally handled.
04-21-2014 10:47 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(04-21-2014 10:47 AM)EagleX Wrote:  

yeah, but think about the free pap smears and mammograms you're entitled to now! and if you should become pregnant, it's totally handled.

Another idiotic argument. You don't write plans this way! That's why the Michigan rape insurance bill was so idiotic...and hence why that coverage is not even available.
04-21-2014 10:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.