High and outside
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
High and outside
High and outside

Out-of-state visitors enjoying a chance to get legally stoned in Colorado

The dumb-downed America

Quote:DENVER -- Every day is 4/20 in my hometown.
You walk along the 16th Street Mall some days and it smells like a Jamaican bobsled party.
When I look out my living-room window this Sunday, on 4/20, I'll see competitors arriving at the convention center for the Cannabis Cup. (Would that be called a "bake-off?")

You go to a Colorado Rockies game now, you see a lot of people sucking on mints, gum drops and lollipops. They're not kids with a sweet tooth. They're adults with a hash habit. It's edible marijuana.
"Hey, it's baseball," a 24-year-old Chicagoan named Sean told me at the LoDo Wellness Center marijuana dispensary this week in Denver's Lower Downtown district. "It's a very chill game. You need to chill."
You need to chill, America.
Recreational marijuana is as legal as beer in Colorado now. It's everywhere you want to be, like it or not.
I know a Broncos fan who bought so much pot for his Super Bowl party, he may have thought he was actually in the game.
Wait. Have we been watching the Puppy Bowl for the last hour?
You smell vapes in the cheap seats at Avalanche games now. Nuggets at Nuggets games. Skunk during the seventh-inning stench. There's a reason they call them the high seats.
It's as much a part of our lives here now as ski racks. The Colorado Springs airport installed pot amnesty boxes to help travelers who forget they can't take the stuff to other states. I even smell it on the free 16th Street Mall bus sometimes.
Dude, are we going in circles?
This month, Denver became the first city in history with both an MLB team and recreational pot stores -- and don't think the players haven't noticed. There's a story going around town about a "representative" from a visiting MLB team (read: equipment guy) walking into a shop with a "grocery list" and walking out with an "armful" of stuff. There's no limit for out-of-state residents on edibles, only smokables.
No wonder they call Coors Field the Happiest Place on Earth.
But don't judge Coloradans. "I'd say 75 to 80 percent of our customers are from out of state," says the "budtender" at MMJ America, which is four blocks from the ballpark. (He wouldn't give his name -- or perhaps he forgot it. It's like Snoop's living room in there.) "Lots of baseball fans wearing the opposing team's stuff. Lot of New York and Chicago fans."
And what do they buy? Edibles. Because it's illegal to smoke pot in public places like arenas and ballparks (please!), fans buy THC-coated treats that are easy to sneak through the turnstiles. Some even eat them before they go in. This way the first pitch and the first buzz arrive at about the same time.
Most popular are the mints ($32), the gum drops ($32), the Colorado candy bar ($37), the chocolate rounds ($32), and the mango-flavored Canna Punch ($37). There's a sign in one pot store that reads: "Our Munchies Give You the Munchies."
Maybe we need new lyrics to "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"?
Buy me some gum drops and choco rounds;
I don't care if I ever come down!
"We get some ex-Nuggets in here," LoDo Wellness Center owner Don Andrews says. "We get all kinds of sports team personnel. We get athletes. We get fans. We get everybody."

And they don't get just sports customers. The general manager, Ryan, says they've had some of Miley Cyrus' dance crew in, some of the Cirque de Soleil troop and a bunch of Justin Timberlake's crew.
There are pro-pot billboards in town. There are smoke-friendly hotels opening. "We open at 10 a.m. on Broncos Sundays," Starbuds owner Brian Ruden says. "Line out the door, lobby fills up. Dispensary fills up. We're crankin', rockin' and rollin' till about noon, and then it becomes a ghost town. Everybody goes home, watches the game. And that's every Broncos game."
(Wait. Do you think this is why Peyton Manning recently bought 21 Papa John's pizza restaurants in the Denver area?)
Don't sit there and tsk-tsk us, America. It's probably coming to your state sooner or later. Twenty-one states plus D.C. already allow medicinal marijuana with a valid illness (please!). Recreational pot stores will open in Washington in June. Florida is sure to have it on the ballot soon, and the latest poll in California shows they're ready to light up legally.
Me, I've got no big problem with it. Ninety-five percent of the violence and chaos and ugliness I've seen from fans and athletes involved alcohol, not pot. A linebacker smoking ganja is probably not going to get mad and bounce his wife off the walls. A linebacker smoking ganja rarely gets off the couch.
And what's wrong with athletes using it to relax -- and heal? You wonder why most estimates of pot use in the NFL are 50 percent and higher? It's partly because guys are hurting and Vicodin can end up a bigger problem than the pain. Now there's a cannabis-infused pain cream made by Apothecanna -- available in Colorado only -- that I'm told gets great results.
Weed isn't a performance-enhancing drug anyway. If some fans say it's a game-enhancing one, who am I to argue? Which game needs enhancing more than baseball?
Playing baseball is best on natural grass. Why can't watching it be, too?
ESPN's Kris Schwartz contributed information to this column.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2014 03:24 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
04-19-2014 03:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
RE: High and outside
I see lots of people getting fired as their employers have drug screens done after accidents or random testing.
04-19-2014 03:34 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
(04-19-2014 03:34 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  I see lots of people getting fired as their employers have drug screens done after accidents or random testing.

I guess that in Co. they have some way of determining if you are driving under the influence of pot? Or is it ok to drive intoxicated?
04-19-2014 03:42 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
Why SOAF have you not heard...

Pot makes you a better driver, prevents Alzheimers, and gives you minty fresh breath...
04-19-2014 03:55 PM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
What a bunch of idiots.
04-19-2014 04:05 PM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
meanwhile, in Denver...
[Image: 144482.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2014 04:15 PM by UofMemphis.)
04-19-2014 04:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
(04-19-2014 04:14 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  meanwhile, in Denver...

I'm sure that is the America you would like to see.
04-19-2014 04:34 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(04-19-2014 04:34 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  
(04-19-2014 04:14 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  meanwhile, in Denver...

I'm sure that is the America you would like to see.

people will simply legally do what they already do illegally...

Why should it be legal to make use of alcohol or tobacco...but not marjuana?

Marijuana is only a "gateway" drug if you have to go to some back alley drug dealer to get it.
04-19-2014 04:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(04-19-2014 03:55 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Why SOAF have you not heard...

Pot makes you a better driver, prevents Alzheimers, and gives you minty fresh breath...

Yeah, it makes you think you're going 50 when in fact you're going 20. I did it once and never again it was a weird feeling and I learned my lesson. 05-nono
04-19-2014 05:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.