Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Is an AAC/ACC agreement a good idea?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Should there be an AAC/ACC Scheduling Agreement?
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
I saw there was some discussion in other threads about AAC and ACC teams playing each other in football, and we know that the ACC has an agreement to play a certain number of A-10 teams in basketball. That got me to thinking - why not a formal agreement between the 2 leagues to play in BOTH sports? [LINK].

What's in it for the ACC?
The AAC is the strongest of the G5 conferences, which could boost SoS for ACC teams hoping to get into the playoffs, etc. In basketball, obviously the reigning champ is in the AAC. Furthermore, many AAC teams are located in fertile recruiting territories for basketball, football, or both.

What's in it for the AAC?
Two things that the AAC needs - a boost for strength of schedule (particularly in basketball, where you'll want more teams into the NCAA's), and better ticket sales and TV ratings than you'd get by playing another G5 conference OOC.

What do you guys think? Does this idea have merit, or does it deserve to die?
04-19-2014 07:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
I vote no. Only a g5 loss to be gained in fb at a time when the ACC is trying to build its fb credibility. Not much gained by a win.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
04-19-2014 07:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
RE: Should there be an AAC/ACC Scheduling Agreement?
No. On an individual basis some of the schools make sense. For football I'd rather play a B12 team. For BB, the only 2 teams that have any appeal are Uconn and Cincinnati.
04-19-2014 09:11 AM
texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange
(04-19-2014 07:30 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  I saw there was some discussion in other threads about AAC and ACC teams playing each other in football, and we know that the ACC has an agreement to play a certain number of A-10 teams in basketball. That got me to thinking - why not a formal agreement between the 2 leagues to play in BOTH sports? [LINK].

The AAC is the strongest of the G5 conferences, which could boost SoS for ACC teams hoping to get into the playoffs, etc. In basketball, obviously the reigning champ is in the AAC. Furthermore, many AAC teams are located in fertile recruiting territories for basketball, football, or both.

Two things that the AAC needs - a boost for strength of schedule (particularly in basketball, where you'll want more teams into the NCAA's), and better ticket sales and TV ratings than you'd get by playing another G5 conference OOC.

It deserves the death penalty...
04-19-2014 09:57 AM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
playing usf/ucf/ecu in football is appealing to certain schools. but who the f*** wants to play tulsa & temple??????

same with BB. do duke & cuse really want usf, ecu, & tulane on the schedule????????
04-19-2014 10:27 AM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I think the whole SOS thing is a non-issue. The only schools that need to worry about their SOS vis-a-vis a playoff are those that have almost no chance of getting there in the first place. I can't think of a single AAC team whose inclusion on a P5 schedule would move the needle for anyone on the selection committee.

Would beating UNC or NC State really help an AAC team get a bowl access spot, much less a spot in the playoff? I doubt it. Beating Florida State might, but just how many teams in the AAC does FSU want on their schedule?
04-19-2014 11:57 AM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
No. I don't want our OOC slate bogged down with AAC teams, who would demand home and home, when we have the potential to schedule better opponents. What we would gain from it is much, much smaller than what we could possibly lose.
04-19-2014 01:07 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(04-19-2014 11:57 AM)ken d Wrote:  I think the whole SOS thing is a non-issue. The only schools that need to worry about their SOS vis-a-vis a playoff are those that have almost no chance of getting there in the first place. I can't think of a single AAC team whose inclusion on a P5 schedule would move the needle for anyone on the selection committee.

Would beating UNC or NC State really help an AAC team get a bowl access spot, much less a spot in the playoff? I doubt it. Beating Florida State might, but just how many teams in the AAC does FSU want on their schedule?

Nope. We trounced them both last year. Didn't do much for us.
04-19-2014 01:50 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(04-19-2014 07:30 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  I saw there was some discussion in other threads about AAC and ACC teams playing each other in football, and we know that the ACC has an agreement to play a certain number of A-10 teams in basketball. That got me to thinking - why not a formal agreement between the 2 leagues to play in BOTH sports? [LINK].

Playing the A-10 gets us tourney games in NYC. I don't think that it would make sense otherwise. ACC schools can pretty much schedule whoever they want whenever they want. Unfortunately for the AAC, they have nothing to offer the ACC that we want/need. I would be OK with making an arrangement with the BIG EAST in exchange for some tourney games in MSG, though....
04-19-2014 02:02 PM
ACCslater Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Louisville
Take it from us.... HELL NO!!!
04-19-2014 02:09 PM
rednblackattack Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL
No. Nothing whatsoever to gain by beating Houston and ECU by 3-4 touchdowns. Let the AAC play leagues like the Mountain West and C-USA
04-19-2014 02:28 PM
Advertisement

oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(04-19-2014 10:27 AM)john01992 Wrote:  playing usf/ucf/ecu in football is appealing to certain schools. but who the f*** wants to play tulsa & temple??????

same with BB. do duke & cuse really want usf, ecu, & tulane on the schedule????????

Duke is playing Tulane this year AND next year (home and home). GT is doing the same - and they're opening up Yulman Stadium this September.

Syracuse just completed a 2-for-1 with Tulane.

Wake Forest is playing a 2-for-1 with Tulane.

The non-powerhouse side of the ACC is going to be on Tulane's schedule quite a bit. Tulane will play a pair of ACC schools this year and next.

With that said, an ACC-AAC scheduling agreement is a TERRIBLE idea. Non-conference play should work on a school-by-school basis.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2014 09:12 PM by oliveandblue.)
04-19-2014 09:09 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange
(04-19-2014 09:09 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  
(04-19-2014 10:27 AM)john01992 Wrote:  playing usf/ucf/ecu in football is appealing to certain schools. but who the f*** wants to play tulsa & temple??????

Duke is playing Tulane this year AND next year (home and home). GT is doing the same - and they're opening up Yulman Stadium this September.

The non-powerhouse side of the ACC is going to be on Tulane's schedule quite a bit. Tulane will play a pair of ACC schools this year and next.

With that said, an ACC-AAC scheduling agreement is a TERRIBLE idea. Non-conference play should work on a school-by-school basis.
Agreed!
I like scheduling certain schools that we share some sort of relationship with (Tulane being a wonderful highly rated academic private school that recently went through a devastating circumstance).I don't want to be forced into a schedule.
04-19-2014 10:54 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(04-19-2014 09:09 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  

SU and Tulane have played each other consistently for years, and I have always enjoyed those games.
04-19-2014 11:28 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(04-19-2014 02:28 PM)rednblackattack Wrote:  No. Nothing whatsoever to gain by beating Houston and ECU by 3-4 touchdowns. Let the AAC play leagues like the Mountain West and C-USA

You mean that UH team that Louisville squeaked by this year? You couldn't even win the AAC....
04-19-2014 11:53 PM
Crimsonelf Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardinals
(04-19-2014 11:53 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  
(04-19-2014 02:28 PM)rednblackattack Wrote:  No. Nothing whatsoever to gain by beating Houston and ECU by 3-4 touchdowns. Let the AAC play leagues like the Mountain West and C-USA

You mean that UH team that Louisville squeaked by this year? You couldn't even win the AAC....

As I posted in this same thread on the Murcain board.. I've never seen a team get as much mileage out of a single conference game... EVER, your entire conf. rep is built on it and now it's not just the Ucf'ers, but everyone else in that conference as well... I Love It! 02-13-banana
04-20-2014 12:54 AM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(04-19-2014 09:11 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  No. On an individual basis some of the schools make sense. For football I'd rather play a B12 team. For BB, the only 2 teams that have any appeal are Uconn and Cincinnati.
Now you cannot leave Memphis basketball out! 07-coffee3
04-20-2014 03:25 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
AAC and ACC schools playing each other is great when it makes sense for both schools. It isn't a good idea to set up a challenge though. UCF has recently played BC, UM, and NC state. it worked for both sides at the time. It make little sense for FSU to play us, or us them. They would want 1 and done only, which is a no go for UCF. where as with other ACC schools deals can make sense for both sides.
04-20-2014 10:03 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
In Football I would like to see Cincinnati on the schedule at least every few Years and in Basketball, Cincinnati, Memphis and UConn. Also Other than USF , Houston We have no real recent nor long term connection with the others. These would be the Only ones I would have an interest in. But I can't see mandatory for conference to conference scheduling.
04-20-2014 10:06 AM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
I voted no, but after reading all the comments - I think some type of scheduling agreement for various sports would be great...

Like a yearly OOC Madison Square Garden AAC/ACC Showdown day... the Garden would love 2-4 games one day with UCONN or 'CUSE headlining a night cap game and a rotation of others playing throughout the day.

I also think for some of the members (especially the northern schools) wouldn't be hurt by additional football games in Florida or Texas for recruiting purposes - each of our schools is playing some G5 or FCS competition anyway - might as well play the best of the rest. If you lose to an American school, well "they were AQ" and if you win, "that's why they're no longer." LOL

I just wouldn't schedule full conference their 11/12 vs our 15/14... I'd pick select showcase events or recruiting trips for those may be with a not so nice recruiting schedule of away / neutral site games.
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2014 10:38 AM by IceJus10.)
04-20-2014 10:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.