Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mystery Building
Bookmark and Share
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
Mystery Building
Anyone have an idea what this architectural rendering is supposed to illustrate?

[Image: MysteryBldg.jpg]

It was on an easel at the Forbes home, present during the announcement kicking off the $12 million fundraising campaign for the new Convo.

None of the photos taken that evening are clear enough to indicate exactly what it is supposed to represent, but it might be assumed it is someone's idea of what the new JMU Convo/basketball arena will look like.

If it is indeed a rendering of the new Convo, the people in charge of funding this design (which strikes me as the bastard child of a Walmart store front) need to be removed immediately from any position of influence.

Hope I'm wrong, and perhaps it's just another rendering of one of Forbes ugly strip malls.
04-18-2014 03:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

brizzock Offline
Galactic Overlord

RE: Mystery Building
I'm trying to read what's written on the bottom left corner. It could be:

New Convocation Center
James Madison University

I give JMU the benefit of the doubt with architectural design though....for facilities, the end product usually looks pretty darn good these days.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2014 03:23 PM by brizzock.)
04-18-2014 03:21 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
Mystery Building
If you look at the photo album, there is a closer image of it to the left of a brunette woman. In the corner it says convocation center.
That tall video board is reminiscent of the one outside of VCU's Siegel center.
04-18-2014 03:25 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-18-2014 03:25 PM)Potomac Wrote:  If you look at the photo album, there is a closer image of it to the left of a brunette woman. In the corner it says convocation center.
That tall video board is reminiscent of the one outside of VCU's Siegel center.

Egad. If the idea is to reproduce the Siegel center, JMU's senior leadership has lost it's mind.

Here's a link to various exterior shots of arenas....almost none of them have a low-profile, brick exterior that screams "Walmart".

https://www.google.com/search?q=exterior...CCoQ9QEwAA
04-18-2014 03:28 PM
brizzock Offline
Galactic Overlord

And then there's the new Rupp Arena...

http://www.barefootandprogressive.com/wp...t_.791.jpg
04-18-2014 03:47 PM
JMU1985 Offline
Special Teams

(04-18-2014 03:15 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  Anyone have an idea what this architectural rendering is supposed to illustrate?

It was on an easel at the Forbes home, present during the announcement kicking off the $12 million fundraising campaign for the new Convo.

None of the photos taken that evening are clear enough to indicate exactly what it is supposed to represent, but it might be assumed it is someone's idea of what the new JMU Convo/basketball arena will look like.

If it is indeed a rendering of the new Convo, the people in charge of funding this design (which strikes me as the bastard child of a Walmart store front) need to be removed immediately from any position of influence.

Hope I'm wrong, and perhaps it's just another rendering of one of Forbes ugly strip malls.

+1
04-18-2014 04:09 PM
Advertisement

DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

If it is, I guess they're planning on building it into the ground or capacity to be about 500.
04-18-2014 04:26 PM
JMU1985 Offline
Special Teams

(04-18-2014 04:26 PM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  If it is, I guess they're planning on building it into the ground or capacity to be about 500.

It looks like a Dick's Sporting goods store. Trash it and start over.
04-18-2014 04:38 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

It looks like the convo.
04-18-2014 04:54 PM
DaDukes Offline
Water Engineer

(04-18-2014 03:15 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  Anyone have an idea what this architectural rendering is supposed to illustrate?

Really? This board is so enthusiastic to complain, that is now calling for the firing of the person who rendered a design for a building that may or may not be the Convocation Center?
04-18-2014 04:56 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Mystery Building
I love that we haven't even had official, better detailed photos released yet.... And we're already bitching about it.
We will all be dead and still complaining.
I'll wait for more details before throwing my childish temper tantrum.
04-18-2014 05:00 PM
Advertisement

DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

The worst thing ever is people who come on a discussion board and complain about people complaining. Jesus Christ....
04-18-2014 05:00 PM
DolleyMadison Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
(04-18-2014 05:00 PM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  The worst thing ever is people who come on a discussion board and complain about people complaining. Jesus Christ....

You just complained about people complaining about people complaining...

I think THAT is actually the worst thing ever.

Well, that and ODU fans.
04-18-2014 05:11 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(04-18-2014 05:11 PM)DolleyMadison Wrote:  
(04-18-2014 05:00 PM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  The worst thing ever is people who come on a discussion board and complain about people complaining. Jesus Christ....

Well, that and ODU fans.

Haha, couldn't help it. It's like when someone replies all at work and next thing you know there are a hundred emails asking not to reply all ... to all. But really, renderings can be significantly different than the actual thing. There were several renderings out there of Bridgeforth that don't look anything like what it ended up being.
04-18-2014 05:18 PM
QuinDuke Offline
Special Teams

(04-18-2014 05:18 PM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  

Well, that and ODU fans.

Haha, couldn't help it. It's like when someone replies all at work and next thing you know there are a hundred emails asking not to reply all ... to all. But really, renderings can be significantly different than the actual thing. There were several renderings out there of Bridgeforth that don't look anything like what it ended up being.

Yeah, we get that too...someone accidentally emails a group some piece of news that was meant for a select set of people and dozens of people in the group (which could literally be thousands of people) hit reply all that they received the first email incorrectly.
04-18-2014 05:23 PM
JMUDuke25 Offline
All American

Meh. All you do is ***** about one thing after another.
04-18-2014 05:39 PM
Advertisement

Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Here is the only artist rendering of the new convo that I've seen released. It is in the master plan released in 2009.

http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/jamesm...040701/#16

The new image we are seeing is a huge departure from this 2009 image. It doesn't seem as tall, no glass front, etc. I want to see more of the new images, but I'm not fond of going from a large arena to what looks like a smaller arena dug into the ground.
I do like the video board and the purple and gold lighting on the front of the new rendering.

I would love to follow the model of Saint Louis' Chaifetz Arena. I also think their court design is excellent. Replace it with a duke dog head and the right colors. I would be very happy with that look.[Image: Summer_2013_SLU5_Chaifetz_Court.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2014 05:43 PM by Potomac.)
04-18-2014 05:39 PM
JMU1985 Offline
Special Teams

Well, that and ODU fans.

Funny, Keystone cops funny. I like this board cause its fun.
04-18-2014 05:59 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(04-18-2014 05:39 PM)Potomac Wrote:  Here is the only artist rendering of the new convo that I've seen released. It is in the master plan released in 2009.

http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/jamesm...040701/#16

The new image we are seeing is a huge departure from this 2009 image. It doesn't seem as tall, no glass front, etc. I want to see more of the new images, but I'm not fond of going from a large arena to what looks like a smaller arena dug into the ground.
I do like the video board and the purple and gold lighting on the front of the new rendering.

I would love to follow the model of Saint Louis' Chaifetz Arena. I also think their court design is excellent. Replace it with a duke dog head and the right colors. I would be very happy with that look.[Image: Summer_2013_SLU5_Chaifetz_Court.jpg]

I like that. All of the seats - including those behind the basket - are close to the court and the grade of the seating is steep meaning up, not out. That would be a good design to follow.
04-18-2014 06:36 PM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(04-18-2014 05:00 PM)Potomac Wrote:  I love that we haven't even had official, better detailed photos released yet.... And we're already bitching about it.
We will all be dead and still complaining.
I'll wait for more details before throwing my childish temper tantrum.

Geez, you see a artist rendering, sketch of the outside of a building and folks start flipping out. I don't really give a crap what it looks like on the outside. It is the inside and amenities that matter most. And if it is similar to the Siegal Center - I don't see an issue with that, that is a pretty good basketball venue.
04-19-2014 08:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.