I Root For: Houston
CBSsports: June Jones on SMU's QB situation, scheduling and his latest Freak
04-17-2014 02:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
RE: CBSsports: June Jones on SMU's QB situation, scheduling and his latest Freak
It's amazing how much more AAC content CBS has than ESPN (the 'home' of the AAC).

Sounds like he is pushing for some facility upgrades.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2014 02:45 PM by bearcatfan.)
04-17-2014 02:44 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: CBSsports: June Jones on SMU's QB situation, scheduling and his latest Freak
He honestly sounds fed up at SMU. I know SMU is fed up with him.
04-17-2014 03:12 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(04-17-2014 03:12 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  He honestly sounds fed up at SMU. I know SMU is fed up with him.

you can tell he's over the monster OOC theyve been playing
04-17-2014 03:13 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
(04-17-2014 02:44 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  It's amazing how much more AAC content CBS has than ESPN (the 'home' of the AAC).

IPF has been fully funded since his second year but he didn't like the location so now we are having to move the soccer and track fields to meet his desires.
04-17-2014 03:16 PM
Advertisement

PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American
(04-17-2014 03:13 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(04-17-2014 03:12 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  He honestly sounds fed up at SMU. I know SMU is fed up with him.

Yeah I mean they really are biting off a lot when then have to play A&M, TCU and Baylor. Last season was A&M, Texas Tech, TCU and Baylor before Baylor was dropped for an FCS team. Hard to win a lot of those games when you are building the program.

They need to do North Texas and TCU along with one of the these(Baylor, A&M or Texas Tech) and then add another team along the lines of UTEP or Rice. Then you have a chance to be 3-1 potentially and during a very good year maybe you go 4-0. Worst case you make it out 2-2.
04-17-2014 03:21 PM
Pony94 Online

(04-17-2014 03:21 PM)PT_american Wrote:  

Yeah I mean they really are biting off a lot when then have to play A&M, TCU and Baylor. Last season was A&M, Texas Tech, TCU and Baylor before Baylor was dropped for an FCS team. Hard to win a lot of those games when you are building the program.

They need to do North Texas and TCU along with one of the these(Baylor, A&M or Texas Tech) and then add another team along the lines of UTEP or Rice. Then you have a chance to be 3-1 potentially and during a very good year maybe you go 4-0. Worst case you make it out 2-2.

We have an 8 year series with North Texas starting next year.
04-17-2014 03:22 PM
PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American
(04-17-2014 03:22 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  
(04-17-2014 03:21 PM)PT_american Wrote:  

We have an 8 year series with North Texas starting next year.

Don't you guys have a long history with Rice as well. Why not get them back on the schedule to go with North Texas and TCU. Then you would have potentially 3 winnable games. Then have the 4th be against one of the A&M or Baylor level. That would be solid OOC but still winneable as well. Start putting up some 10-2, 11-1 years and fighting for the access bowl.
04-17-2014 03:45 PM
AusTxPony Offline
1st String

Unfortunately we need attendance help, therefore we schedule large in-state schools with Dallas fan base, Baylor, Tech, A$M or Metroplex rivals, TCU, North Texas. Rice brings no one to our stadium. Mostly we need to start winning those tough games more often. I'd keep TCU, Baylor or Tech, North Texas and a lower level P5 like Wake, etc.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2014 04:16 PM by AusTxPony.)
04-17-2014 04:13 PM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

(04-17-2014 04:13 PM)AusTxPony Wrote:  Unfortunately we need attendance help, therefore we schedule large in-state schools with Dallas fan base, Baylor, Tech, A$M or Metroplex rivals, TCU, North Texas. Rice brings no one to our stadium. Mostly we need to start winning those tough games more often. I'd keep TCU, Baylor or Tech, North Texas and a lower level P5 like Wake, etc.

or in general just winning

smu was selling out games on a week basketball ooc schedule

beating big instate rivals is nice but in general just winning does that
smu records would have been dramatically better and had larger fan support if they had scheduled easier

replace a&m/baylor with wake forest and purdue and been 7-5 last year (potentially 8-5 with a bowl) ad smu's fan sport would have been way higher
04-17-2014 04:31 PM
3rdWardCoog Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UH
Hey JJ get on the phone with Levine I'm sure UH would love to take a game from you and trade our FCS line up :)
04-17-2014 04:42 PM
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
(04-17-2014 03:16 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  
(04-17-2014 02:44 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  It's amazing how much more AAC content CBS has than ESPN (the 'home' of the AAC).

IPF has been fully funded since his second year but he didn't like the location so now we are having to move the soccer and track fields to meet his desires.

Correct. June has no one to blame but his own Lyin' Hawaiian self.
04-17-2014 06:14 PM
SMU-Newman Offline
Bench Warmer

True to form June didn't take the blame for a single thing.
04-17-2014 07:28 PM
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
Interesting view into the SMU program. Jones has done some really good things since arriving at SMU, but he shouldn't take shots at the university or AD, over the quality of his facilities. SMU has nice stuff. Why does SMU tolerate this kind of behavior? I'd think for the amount of money Jones makes at SMU he'd be a little more careful with his words.
04-17-2014 08:04 PM
AusTxPony Offline
1st String

I believe Hawaii success/stardom (a "sugar bowl rush?") turned Jones' head and he expected the kids to come running to him in Dallas with no real work on his part. There was a little of that attraction but it gradually faded away and he has not seen fit to answer with real recruiting effort necessary to compete with the Big 12.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2014 08:33 PM by AusTxPony.)
04-17-2014 08:31 PM
Comet Offline
All American

**** that guy
04-17-2014 08:33 PM
SMU-Newman Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-17-2014 08:04 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  Why does SMU tolerate this kind of behavior? I'd think for the amount of money Jones makes at SMU he'd be a little more careful with his words.

Part battered wives syndrome, part donor fatigue.
04-17-2014 08:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.