Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
Rolleyes Nimrod Hilliard- grad transfer PG
From Lamar.

6-0

Averaged 14 ppg, 5 assists, 4 rbs.

Shot 45 FG, 35 3PT, 74 FT
04-15-2014 03:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

michaelf Offline
1st String

I Root For: The U of M
RE: Nimrod Hilliard- grad transfer PG
(04-15-2014 03:25 PM)HoopDreams Wrote:  From Lamar.

6-0

I thought you were being funny about this name, who in the world would name their child NIMROD, until I read the orgins of his name, interesting story:

Quote:Be honest.

It's the name.

That's the first thing that jumps out about Nimrod Hilliard IV.

It's OK to chuckle a little, raise your eyebrows -it all comes with the territory.

But watch Lamar's embattled leading scorer for a few minutes and the name quickly becomes an afterthought to his silky moves in the lane and acrobatic reverse layups.

"You hear stuff, especially on away games, but I just think it's funny," Hilliard said. "I like my name, I wouldn't change it for the world. My son will have the same name. I take pride in it."

The short answer of why Hilliard shares a first name with slang for "idiot" originates with his great grandfather - the original Nimrod Hilliard.

But the deeper answer goes back thousands of years, to Genesis 10:8 and 9.

"Cush fathered Nimrod; he was the first on earth to be a mighty man. He was a mighty hunter before the Lord. Therefore it is said, 'Like Nimrod a mighty hunter before the Lord.'"

So therein lies the true, original Nimrod.

Hilliard's first experience taking flack for his name as a Cardinal came around the time of Lamar's season opener at Butler. He said Butler fans found his Instagram account, which is public, and started commenting on his pictures with some jokes aimed at his first name.

"I don't take it personally," said Hilliard with a smile.

Maybe that's because the junior guard got some revenge that night by leading all scorers on both teams with 23 points.

Hilliard's success in his Lamar debut was a long time coming after a roller-coaster career that dates back to high school. It was a journey that his father, who was at that Butler game, knew all too well.

"Butler's a big school with a lot of good players. For him to go in there and score 23 on them, it was amazing to see," Nimrod Hilliard III said. "It was like watching him in high school again."

Hilliard attended Madison East High School in Wisconsin from 2007-11. In his junior year,

Hilliard signed to play college basketball for South Dakota. But unbeknownst to him at the time, Hilliard would receive the state's highest basketball honor the following season.

"The thing that messed me up is I signed really early," Hilliard said. "I signed in the early signing period of my junior year and that kind of set me back. I didn't know I would get Mr. Basketball and have the season that I did (in my senior year). Bigger schools called after that, but it was too late, I had already signed."

Hilliard said he and the South Dakota coaches did not see eye-to-eye on game strategy. The quick 6-foot, 154-pound guard said he wanted to play up-tempo and fly down the court, while his college coaches preferred a slower style.

At South Dakota, Hilliard played in 18 games (started six), averaged 14 minutes and 2.6 points per game, and transferred out at the end of the year.

He found a temporary home at Jacksonville College (Texas) where he - by his own admission - grew up.

"I think Jacksonville made him more humble," Hilliard III said.

Perhaps the stop at junior college was a necessary step to mold Hilliard into the player and person who has emerged as a floor general in his first season at Lamar.

"That's exactly why I came here," Hilliard said. "Coach (Pat) Knight said he wanted to put the ball in my hands and lead."

With Southland Conference play four weeks away, Hilliard is second in the conference for assists per game (5.4) and 10th in scoring (14.9 points per game).

After playing for two different teams in two years, Hilliard has finally found some stability in his playing career.

"It makes him feel more at home and it makes him play better," his father said.

Like his son, Nimrod Hilliard III said he was teased some because of the unique first name they both hold.

"When I was younger, a little," Hilliard III said. "But I was a lot bigger than everybody else, so not really too much."
04-15-2014 03:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hoopla Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
I like this kid's attitude.
04-15-2014 06:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KRB Offline
Tigers Templar
Jersey Retired

I Root For: MEMPHIS
You would have to be tough with that name. Reminded me of The Johnny Cash song, A Boy Named Sue.
04-15-2014 08:13 PM
whoyarootinfor Offline
1st String

So all of these years I've been called a Nimrod, it's been a compliment? Nice.
04-15-2014 08:22 PM
dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers

6-0

Probably a good guess that 6-0 means 5-9
04-15-2014 08:36 PM
Advertisement

Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
nim rod
The true definition of Nim Rod is "A great hunter", but after Bugs Bunny called Elmer Fudd this name for so long in Looney Tunes cartoons, it took on a new meaning....A moron or clutz.
04-15-2014 08:45 PM
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

(04-15-2014 08:36 PM)dan o Wrote:  

6-0

Probably a good guess that 6-0 means 5-9

Yup...
04-15-2014 10:17 PM
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
(04-15-2014 08:13 PM)KRB Wrote:  You would have to be tough with that name. Reminded me of The Johnny Cash song, A Boy Named Sue.

It means a WW2 Hungarian mobile AA vehicle, what does that have to do with Johnny Cash?

[Image: HU160.jpg]
04-15-2014 10:24 PM
HoopDreams Offline

Bump
04-27-2014 08:53 PM
Antonio5fan Offline
All American

I Root For: MemphisTigers
(04-15-2014 03:32 PM)michaelf Wrote:  

6-0

I thought you were being funny about this name, who in the world would name their child NIMROD, until I read the orgins of his name, interesting story:

Quote:Be honest.

It's the name.

That's the first thing that jumps out about Nimrod Hilliard IV.

It's OK to chuckle a little, raise your eyebrows -it all comes with the territory.

But watch Lamar's embattled leading scorer for a few minutes and the name quickly becomes an afterthought to his silky moves in the lane and acrobatic reverse layups.

"You hear stuff, especially on away games, but I just think it's funny," Hilliard said. "I like my name, I wouldn't change it for the world. My son will have the same name. I take pride in it."

The short answer of why Hilliard shares a first name with slang for "idiot" originates with his great grandfather - the original Nimrod Hilliard.

But the deeper answer goes back thousands of years, to Genesis 10:8 and 9.

"Cush fathered Nimrod; he was the first on earth to be a mighty man. He was a mighty hunter before the Lord. Therefore it is said, 'Like Nimrod a mighty hunter before the Lord.'"

So therein lies the true, original Nimrod.

Hilliard's first experience taking flack for his name as a Cardinal came around the time of Lamar's season opener at Butler. He said Butler fans found his Instagram account, which is public, and started commenting on his pictures with some jokes aimed at his first name.

"I don't take it personally," said Hilliard with a smile.

Maybe that's because the junior guard got some revenge that night by leading all scorers on both teams with 23 points.

Hilliard's success in his Lamar debut was a long time coming after a roller-coaster career that dates back to high school. It was a journey that his father, who was at that Butler game, knew all too well.

"Butler's a big school with a lot of good players. For him to go in there and score 23 on them, it was amazing to see," Nimrod Hilliard III said. "It was like watching him in high school again."

Hilliard attended Madison East High School in Wisconsin from 2007-11. In his junior year,

Hilliard signed to play college basketball for South Dakota. But unbeknownst to him at the time, Hilliard would receive the state's highest basketball honor the following season.

"The thing that messed me up is I signed really early," Hilliard said. "I signed in the early signing period of my junior year and that kind of set me back. I didn't know I would get Mr. Basketball and have the season that I did (in my senior year). Bigger schools called after that, but it was too late, I had already signed."

Hilliard said he and the South Dakota coaches did not see eye-to-eye on game strategy. The quick 6-foot, 154-pound guard said he wanted to play up-tempo and fly down the court, while his college coaches preferred a slower style.

At South Dakota, Hilliard played in 18 games (started six), averaged 14 minutes and 2.6 points per game, and transferred out at the end of the year.

He found a temporary home at Jacksonville College (Texas) where he - by his own admission - grew up.

"I think Jacksonville made him more humble," Hilliard III said.

Perhaps the stop at junior college was a necessary step to mold Hilliard into the player and person who has emerged as a floor general in his first season at Lamar.

"That's exactly why I came here," Hilliard said. "Coach (Pat) Knight said he wanted to put the ball in my hands and lead."

With Southland Conference play four weeks away, Hilliard is second in the conference for assists per game (5.4) and 10th in scoring (14.9 points per game).

After playing for two different teams in two years, Hilliard has finally found some stability in his playing career.

"It makes him feel more at home and it makes him play better," his father said.

Like his son, Nimrod Hilliard III said he was teased some because of the unique first name they both hold.

"When I was younger, a little," Hilliard III said. "But I was a lot bigger than everybody else, so not really too much."

Michaelf, we've had some douzies around here too. One lady loved Jello so she name one of her son's Orangelo, on name Lemongelo. Another lady named her son Shi-Thead. written out ********. True names. Wow. Would love to see Wolo get ahold of these.
04-27-2014 09:47 PM
Advertisement

HoopDreams Offline

Hilliard is from Madison, Wisconsin and Hawkins is from Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, which is a suburb of Madison. Could be a helpful link if the staff tries for an experienced PG.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2014 01:51 AM by HoopDreams.)
04-28-2014 01:50 AM
TigerBill Offline

Donators
Anotnio5- Hey, do you know Orangelo and Lemongelo? I sold them a stereo system back in the day and when I tell the story of their names nobody will believe me! Wow, talk about a coincidence.
04-28-2014 10:18 AM
KRB Offline
Tigers Templar
Jersey Retired

My oldest daughter went to school with Lemongelo, and Orangelo at Central. Now that has been a few years back.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2014 12:01 PM by KRB.)
04-28-2014 12:01 PM
TigerBill Offline

Donators
(04-28-2014 12:01 PM)KRB Wrote:  My oldest daughter went to school with Lemongelo, and Orangelo at Central. Now that has been a few years back.

Small world.
04-28-2014 12:31 PM
Antonio5fan Offline
All American

I Root For: MemphisTigers
(04-28-2014 10:18 AM)TigerBill Wrote:  Anotnio5- Hey, do you know Orangelo and Lemongelo? I sold them a stereo system back in the day and when I tell the story of their names nobody will believe me! Wow, talk about a coincidence.

I didn't know them Bill, just the names are famous here around Jackson. They may have spawned a whole new generation of namesakes. Never fails to get a laugh. No body believes me either. Glad I got verification that it's true. There was a lady in Jackson who's name was in the phonebook-Vaseline Love. I just can't imagine a little baby crawling around on the floor. "Come to Momma Vaseline". Wouldn't do for the front door to be open with some good ole' boys walking down the sidewalk.
04-28-2014 01:12 PM
Advertisement

TigerBill Offline

Donators
(04-28-2014 01:12 PM)Antonio5fan Wrote:  
(04-28-2014 10:18 AM)TigerBill Wrote:  Anotnio5- Hey, do you know Orangelo and Lemongelo? I sold them a stereo system back in the day and when I tell the story of their names nobody will believe me! Wow, talk about a coincidence.

I didn't know them Bill, just the names are famous here around Jackson. They may have spawned a whole new generation of namesakes. Never fails to get a laugh. No body believes me either. Glad I got verification that it's true. There was a lady in Jackson who's name was in the phonebook-Vaseline Love. I just can't imagine a little baby crawling around on the floor. "Come to Momma Vaseline". Wouldn't do for the front door to be open with some good ole' boys walking down the sidewalk.

I'll never forget filling out their credit application and asking Orangejello (that's how he spelled it to me originally, but the credit company called back and asked for verification, when he then used the 'g'. No idea which was on his birth certificate) spelled his name. Nice guy, as I remember.
04-28-2014 01:48 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(04-15-2014 10:24 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  
(04-15-2014 08:13 PM)KRB Wrote:  You would have to be tough with that name. Reminded me of The Johnny Cash song, A Boy Named Sue.

It means a WW2 Hungarian mobile AA vehicle, what does that have to do with Johnny Cash?

[Image: HU160.jpg]

Actually was the very successful British secret agent who was responsible for German defeat in two major offensives according to the Hogan's Heroes episode "The Missing Klink."

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2014 02:47 PM by ncrdbl1.)
04-28-2014 02:41 PM
roachman48 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
so, are we recruiting this player?
04-28-2014 07:28 PM
MM4Memphis Offline
All American

I think I'd go by Rod.
04-28-2014 08:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.