Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cuonzo Martin gone to California.
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Cuonzo Martin gone to California.
Martin must have really wanted out of Vol country.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...lden-bears
04-15-2014 01:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
RE: Cuonzo Martin gone to California.
Kind of reminds me of Herb Sendek going to Arizona State.
04-15-2014 01:54 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(04-15-2014 01:54 PM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  Kind of reminds me of Herb Sendek going to Arizona State.

Yeah, someone used that analogy on one of the Cal boards. Seems like a solid but not great hire. Hope it works out.
04-15-2014 02:21 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Didn't see that coming. Looks like Brucey jumped the gun.
04-15-2014 02:21 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Pretty strange that CAL would hire a football coach and now a basketball coach with so few ties to the state or West in general.
04-15-2014 02:40 PM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

Tennessee is a pretty good job. But it'll be tough getting a strong candidate at this juncture.
04-15-2014 02:40 PM
Advertisement

PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-15-2014 02:40 PM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  Tennessee is a pretty good job. But it'll be tough getting a strong candidate at this juncture.

If Buzz Peterson could leave the BE for VT, then maybe Jay Wright is willing to leave the BE for Tennessee.
04-15-2014 02:42 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(04-15-2014 02:42 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  
(04-15-2014 02:40 PM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  Tennessee is a pretty good job. But it'll be tough getting a strong candidate at this juncture.

If Buzz Peterson could leave the BE for VT, then maybe Jay Wright is willing to leave the BE for Tennessee.

No way. ACC >>>> SEC in basketball.

And Jay Wright is from Philadelphia. He was born there, played college ball nearby (Bucknell), and has coached in Philadelphia for 21 years (he was an assistant at Drexel and Villanova in the 80s). His only other jobs were also in the NE (Rochester and Hofstra) except for a 2-year stint at UNLV.
04-15-2014 02:59 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
04-15-2014 03:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
Martin and UT were in the midst of a long divorce, so it is good that it came to a head sooner than later. UT is a top 5 attendance basketball school, and I'm betting they will spend for the right person.
04-15-2014 03:03 PM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

Donnie Tyndall might be a good fit.
04-15-2014 03:10 PM
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Anyone think Tennessee could get Gregg Marshall? PTI just said they're gonna make another attempt at him.
04-15-2014 04:48 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

If it is just about money, Tennessee will pay it. They can afford to be a top 10 paying program (around $2.5 million a year). Marshall was interested in past interviews because he is from the region. Tennessee is a top 3 or 4 job in the SEC (some say #2 when Billy the Kid is done at Gainesville). They are a top 5 attendance school, plus they have a good legacy at women's hoops and football, so the basketball coach is not under such intense scrutiny as UK, KU, UNC, etc.
04-15-2014 04:55 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(04-15-2014 04:55 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  If it is just about money, Tennessee will pay it. They can afford to be a top 10 paying program (around $2.5 million a year). Marshall was interested in past interviews because he is from the region. Tennessee is a top 3 or 4 job in the SEC (some say #2 when Billy the Kid is done at Gainesville). They are a top 5 attendance school, plus they have a good legacy at women's hoops and football, so the basketball coach is not under such intense scrutiny as UK, KU, UNC, etc.

Don't disagree with most of this, but isn't the bolded part why Martin left? Because he was under scrutiny? Obviously not as much as the basketball blue bloods, but the UT fans turned on him rather quickly.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2014 08:35 PM by Marge Schott.)
04-15-2014 07:54 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
UT has really good fan support. They care. Martin left because you can't find a black person in E. Tennessee.
04-15-2014 10:04 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-15-2014 10:04 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  UT has really good fan support. They care. Martin left because you can't find a black person in E. Tennessee.

LOL. Well you can't find many people who are familiar with modern dentistry that live there, but there are plenty of black people there. Eastern Tennessee and Western North Carolina are just loaded down with backwoods type.
04-15-2014 10:35 PM
Advertisement

ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

The Tennessee fanbase idolized Pearl and no coach that didn't immediately take them to an elite eight or final four would've stacked up in their eyes. A lot of fans really mistreated Martin and didn't jump on board with them until this tournament. He's just going somewhere where he feels he'll be appreciated.
04-16-2014 12:20 AM
Chuck A Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UIC Flames
(04-16-2014 12:20 AM)ncbeta Wrote:  The Tennessee fanbase idolized Pearl and no coach that didn't immediately take them to an elite eight or final four would've stacked up in their eyes. A lot of fans really mistreated Martin and didn't jump on board with them until this tournament. He's just going somewhere where he feels he'll be appreciated.

Somebody finally mentions the real reason Cuonzo left. It wasn't just the fans either that mistreated Coach Martin. Where was the administration? The boosters? Powerful Alumni? What does it take to engender people to you when you have to bring a program out of a hell hole that a cheating predecessor left it in? Okay, so Pearl got the Vols to the NCAA every year he was the coach. Now we know that maybe there were some unscrupulous methods he took. Some were complaining that Cuonzo's teams didn't do much until the end of the season. Well correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the goal of every NCAA team the postseason? He did that with some NIT's and this past season, an NCAA invite. It never ceases to amaze me how "winning at all costs" (which invariably includes cheating) seems to trump "winning the right way". Pearl was the poster child for the former, Martin the example for the latter.
04-16-2014 01:44 AM
BoiseStateOfMind Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BSU & Seahawks
Tennessee dodged a bullet. Cuonzo is a bad coach whose team simply got hot during a season that was utterly bereft of great teams. His poor recruiting has left the cupboard empty and screwed over the next coach.
04-16-2014 09:54 AM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

(04-15-2014 07:54 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  
(04-15-2014 04:55 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  If it is just about money, Tennessee will pay it. They can afford to be a top 10 paying program (around $2.5 million a year). Marshall was interested in past interviews because he is from the region. Tennessee is a top 3 or 4 job in the SEC (some say #2 when Billy the Kid is done at Gainesville). They are a top 5 attendance school, plus they have a good legacy at women's hoops and football, so the basketball coach is not under such intense scrutiny as UK, KU, UNC, etc.

Don't disagree with most of this, but isn't the bolded part why Martin left? Because he was under scrutiny? Obviously not as much as the basketball blue bloods, but the UT fans turned on him rather quickly.

The scrutiny that Martin received is nothing compared to football coaches in the SEC. A 37,000 signature petition to fire Martin if Bruce Pearl was available? That is nothing compared to what was happening to Derek Dooley, Ron Zook, or Mike Shula during their downswing. Heck, it is nothing compared to what Mark Richt goes through just about every season unless he reaches the SEC championship.
04-16-2014 10:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.