Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Deregulation of conference title games "could be passed quickly"
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Deregulation of conference title games "could be passed quickly"
ACC could say bye-bye to divisions, and Big 12 could add a title game, maybe as soon as 2015?

Quote:Deregulation is expected to fly through and could be passed quickly by the NCAA board of directors. Both Swofford and Bowlsby have indicated there is no push-back from other conferences on the measure.

Then it's up to conferences on how to determine their champion in the playoff era.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...era-begins
04-14-2014 09:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
RE: Deregulation of conference title games "could be passed quickly"
(04-14-2014 09:52 PM)Wedge Wrote:  ACC could say bye-bye to divisions, and Big 12 could add a title game, maybe as soon as 2015?

Quote:Deregulation is expected to fly through and could be passed quickly by the NCAA board of directors. Both Swofford and Bowlsby have indicated there is no push-back from other conferences on the measure.

Then it's up to conferences on how to determine their champion in the playoff era.

But you still need some rules for who could be eligible for a CCG. Could Notre Dame join the ACC in football and only play 5 conference games and still be eligible for the CCG? I guess if that is ok with the ACC then I guess anything goes.

Can BYU join the pac-12 or big 12 for football only, not play any conference games and still be elligible?
04-14-2014 10:23 PM
opossum Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Duke
(04-14-2014 09:52 PM)Wedge Wrote:  ACC could say bye-bye to divisions, and Big 12 could add a title game, maybe as soon as 2015?

This is great for the 14-team conferences. They could schedule football like they currently schedule basketball (a handful of permanent partners and rotate everyone else), and conference teams will play each other more often.
04-14-2014 10:24 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
I believe the American would support this measure for two reasons: 1) the issue of divisions within the conference is contentious and if they're not required that could bring some peace to the conference, and 2) it would keep the XII from having to expand just to have a conference championship game, which likely staves off future raids of the conference.

Just yet another move by the ACC that would stop the wheel of realignment for the foreseeable future.
04-14-2014 10:25 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(04-14-2014 10:23 PM)goofus Wrote:  

But you still need some rules for who could be eligible for a CCG. Could Notre Dame join the ACC in football and only play 5 conference games and still be eligible for the CCG? I guess if that is ok with the ACC then I guess anything goes.

Can BYU join the pac-12 or big 12 for football only, not play any conference games and still be elligible?

Each conference would be able to set up their own rules, but I would have to think that to be eligible for a CCG, each conference would insist that a school play a full conference schedule and be a full member of the conference.
04-14-2014 10:26 PM
ringmaster Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC

Thanks for posting Wedge. Would have missed this article. Lots of good stuff in there.
04-14-2014 10:27 PM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(04-14-2014 10:26 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  
(04-14-2014 10:23 PM)goofus Wrote:  

Each conference would be able to set up their own rules, but I would have to think that to be eligible for a CCG, each conference would insist that a school play a full conference schedule and be a full member of the conference.

Me too, absolutely.
04-14-2014 11:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(04-14-2014 10:25 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  I believe the American would support this measure for two reasons: 1) the issue of divisions within the conference is contentious and if they're not required that could bring some peace to the conference, and 2) it would keep the XII from having to expand just to have a conference championship game, which likely staves off future raids of the conference.

Great observation on the impact to the AAC. They are a textbook candidate for this new legislation.

Instead of thinking that P5 conferences need to hit 12, 14 or 16 I'm wondering if you might see some 11, 13, 15 conferences out there if there is a school they can get that could make them better.

B1G: UConn #15
B12: Cincinnati #11
SEC: East Carolina #15

B1G can benefit from UConn basketball and another quality East Coast presence. The B12 would enjoy Cincinnati's media market. The SEC can't get into North Carolina through UNC so they do it with East Carolina.

If you're a P5 and you think only 1 school out there can better your conference why not just grab just one?
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2014 11:13 PM by Kittonhead.)
04-14-2014 11:12 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
I think the MW/ACC cross country Confernce is instantly possible with this legislation. Pods work fine. Twenty team nationwide confernce with regional pods.
04-14-2014 11:39 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-14-2014 11:39 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I think the MW/ACC cross country Confernce is instantly possible with this legislation. Pods work fine. Twenty team nationwide confernce with regional pods.

Great point. You could work in both Idaho and UMass FB only in this scenario....:)
04-14-2014 11:45 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(04-14-2014 11:45 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(04-14-2014 11:39 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I think the MW/ACC cross country Confernce is instantly possible with this legislation. Pods work fine. Twenty team nationwide confernce with regional pods.

Great point. You could work in both Idaho and UMass FB only in this scenario....:)

Lol....shhhhh. You're going blow our big plan.
04-15-2014 12:01 AM
Advertisement

BoiseStateOfMind Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BSU & Seahawks
Enough of this crap. A 20-team conference is doomed to fail from its inception, especially when it spans the entire country. Not going to happen.
04-15-2014 01:21 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-15-2014 01:21 AM)BoiseStateOfMind Wrote:  
Enough of this crap. A 20-team conference is doomed to fail from its inception, especially when it spans the entire country. Not going to happen.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...conference
04-15-2014 01:30 AM
Attackcoog Offline

Actually, the deregulation of divisional play makes it easy. You could go 20-24. Just add 6 MW teams to the AAC. Then Sprinkle in on a few teams where warranted to create 4 six-team pods. For football, you play 5 in your pod, 1 from each of the other 3 pods. In basketball, you play a home and home vs your pod and 2 games from each of the other 3 pods. The elimination of the strict divisional rules make a large cross country conference very easy to execute with travel that's little different from the current travel burden. Being in the G5 is bad enough---why limit 2/3rds of your schedule to just 11 G5 teams? Being part of a super-sized cross country conference actually adds variety to the schedule once the rules governing divisional play are removed.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2014 02:04 AM by Attackcoog.)
04-15-2014 01:59 AM
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
(04-15-2014 01:59 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Actually, the deregulation of divisional play makes it easy. You could go 20-24. Just add 6 MW teams to the AAC. Then Sprinkle in on a few teams where warranted to create 4 six-team pods. For football, you play 5 in your pod, 1 from each of the other 3 pods. In basketball, you play a home and home vs your pod and 2 games from each of the other 3 pods. The elimination of the strict divisional rules make a large cross country conference very easy to execute with travel that's little different from the current travel burden. Being in the G5 is bad enough---why limit 2/3rds of your schedule to just 11 G5 teams? Being part of a super-sized cross country conference actually adds variety to the schedule once the rules governing divisional play are removed.

I agree with what you said above and would like to add that "in strength there are numbers".

If the AAC can add some teams from the MWC and Brigham Young, etc. I would be 100% for it.

Temple
UConn
UCF
USF
Cinci
Memphis
ECU
Navy

We could play 7 "Pod" games per year and then 1-2 "crossover" games. It makes sense to me, at least.
04-15-2014 03:01 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Quote:SEC: East Carolina #15

Yeah.....no. ECU is at LEAST another 15-20 years from consideration in any Power Conference

Though it makes BYU feasible to the B12 since they wouldn't have to worry about adding a #12 that doesn't add to the pie
04-15-2014 07:37 AM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(04-15-2014 01:30 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...conference

Yep, it'll never get off the ground. The Mountain West is stable, why would any school risk that?

"Oh, how about two pods of 12 that hold their own title games!" Haha, ridiculous.
04-15-2014 08:06 AM
allthatyoucantleavebehind Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Penn State
This is actually a no-brainer move. As a Big Ten fan, I don't want to see my team left out of the playoff if they play a 13-game schedule (including a CCG) while the Big 12's teams play a significantly easier schedule (plus no CCG).
Make the final weekend ALL ABOUT CCGs for every conference, and you'll make it practically a quarterfinal weekend.
Last year, Mizzou/Auburn...Stanford/ASU...OSU/MSU...Baylor/OU--assuming that OU/OkSt is moved earlier in the season and OU again wins...UCF/Louisville...Clemson/FSU...
Those match-ups essentially would create a clear picture of the top 4 (with only poor Alabama sitting on the "outside" with some merit for a finalist).
04-15-2014 08:35 AM
allthatyoucantleavebehind Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Penn State
Knowing ND's strength and the ACC's weakness, I fully expect them to push their way into the ACC's title game if they are one of the top 2 teams in that conference. It just makes sense for them to want that platform...and the ACC to want their CCG to get a boost when possible.

Think 2012...
11-1 Clemson and 11-1 FSU (in a deregulated world) would have been a better match-up than 11-1 FSU vs. 6-6 GaTech...but 12-0 ND and 11-1 FSU would have been INFINITELY better. (Sorry, Clemson...)
04-15-2014 08:45 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(04-14-2014 10:25 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  I believe the American would support this measure for two reasons: 1) the issue of divisions within the conference is contentious and if they're not required that could bring some peace to the conference, and 2) it would keep the XII from having to expand just to have a conference championship game, which likely staves off future raids of the conference.

Just yet another move by the ACC that would stop the wheel of realignment for the foreseeable future.

The way you said that makes it sound as if it were a bad thing. Is that how you feel?
04-15-2014 08:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.