Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIU ftball Stadium-Naperville
Bookmark and Share
dekalb222 Offline
All American

I Root For: niu
NIU ftball Stadium-Naperville
Instead of throwing money at Huskie Stadium just build a 40k seat stadium in Naperville. There are over a million people within 15 minutes. NIU has a campus there. There are so many big businesses, hotels, restaurants and corporate sponsorship opportunities out there. You could get great media coverage. You could bus NIU students to games. Many would be in that area already. Airport and train access. If you think its a stupid idea would you think that if the Big12 said do it and you are in?
04-14-2014 03:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox
RE: NIU ftball Stadium-Naperville
(04-14-2014 03:19 PM)dekalb222 Wrote:  Instead of throwing money at Huskie Stadium just build a 40k seat stadium in Naperville. There are over a million people within 15 minutes. NIU has a campus there. There are so many big businesses, hotels, restaurants and corporate sponsorship opportunities out there. You could get great media coverage. You could bus NIU students to games. Many would be in that area already. Airport and train access. If you think its a stupid idea would you think that if the Big12 said do it and you are in?

Wow...now there is a great idea (conceptually).04-cheers

Only thing would be money to build a stadium.
04-14-2014 03:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
flair6 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU
I don't think this is a good idea or that NIU would even consider this. I say that because student turnout is low now and this would make it worse. Look no further than the DePaul student section at the Allstate Arena. DePaul even provides students free bus rides and still nobody comes. I feel that an on campus facility is the way to go. I don't know off hand of any universities that have an offsite football stadium unless they share one with an NFL team, ie; Temple or UMass.
04-14-2014 03:26 PM
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

(04-14-2014 03:19 PM)dekalb222 Wrote:  Instead of throwing money at Huskie Stadium just build a 40k seat stadium in Naperville. There are over a million people within 15 minutes. NIU has a campus there. There are so many big businesses, hotels, restaurants and corporate sponsorship opportunities out there. You could get great media coverage. You could bus NIU students to games. Many would be in that area already. Airport and train access. If you think its a stupid idea would you think that if the Big12 said do it and you are in?

we might have 100 students come to the game if that were the case. they are too lazy to walk to the convo, no way do they all get a DD and drive to Naperville outside of the diehards
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2014 03:26 PM by NIU32.)
04-14-2014 03:26 PM
dekalb222 Offline
All American

I believe you could get corporate sponsors to build the stadium. It could also host concerts. UCONN buses there students to games. I am sure there are others. DePaul does. We already know that many NIU students are from the area. BigTen teams would come there, because of recruiting and we could pay them. Imagine last year after a Orange Bowl trip, NIU playing home games in Naperville.
04-14-2014 03:28 PM
HuskieTom51 Offline
2nd String

(04-14-2014 03:21 PM)huskiealum03 Wrote:  

I think that would be a huge mistake. Look at DePaul playing their bball games at the Allstate Arena... How about the University of Minnesota playing their football games for the past 25 years at the Metrodome. Neither school draws flies at a facility away from the main campus. Tailgating and the atmosphere surrounding a football game on campus cannot be duplicated away from your home turf.
04-14-2014 03:28 PM
Advertisement

dekalb222 Offline
All American

There are many NIU students that go home to that area. They would come. I believe the million non-students would support the team.
04-14-2014 03:32 PM
PrideinthePack Offline
1st String

(04-14-2014 03:26 PM)NIU32 Wrote:  

we might have 100 students come to the game if that were the case. they are too lazy to walk to the convo, no way do they all get a DD and drive to Naperville outside of the diehards

They wouldn't need to get a DD, everyone drunk drives it's ok to do.
04-14-2014 03:32 PM
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

(04-14-2014 03:32 PM)dekalb222 Wrote:  There are many NIU students that go home to that area. They would come. I believe the million non-students would support the team.

so these million non-students would support the team in naperville but not drive an extra 30 min to dekalb to support them. that 30 min is just wayyyy too much right?
04-14-2014 03:34 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

Not a fan of the idea...BUT I am open to it if it was a 45k seat indoor stadium that could also double as a convention area and mostly funded by the Naperville local businesses.

For this idea I could see something like that behind the Car Max off of 59 and Ferry Rd.

Unless the offer is on the table from the Naperville Developer I don't see NIU actually doing this on their own because of the cost.
04-14-2014 03:36 PM
dekalb222 Offline
All American

I bet those schools don't have a bunch of students going home every wknd. NIU has many students going home to that area. I am afraid NIU has hit its limit in the DeKalb area. We have a campus there. I believe this is are only chance at a Big12 invite, one day.
04-14-2014 03:36 PM
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-14-2014 03:28 PM)HuskieTom51 Wrote:  

I think that would be a huge mistake. Look at DePaul playing their bball games at the Allstate Arena... How about the University of Minnesota playing their football games for the past 25 years at the Metrodome. Neither school draws flies at a facility away from the main campus. Tailgating and the atmosphere surrounding a football game on campus cannot be duplicated away from your home turf.

Great examples.

I wonder about Temple...and now their rent is going to double.

I know UMASS had a sweet deal but that didn't work out either.
04-14-2014 03:38 PM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

I thought this idea was idiotic. But then thought about it. Since about 30% of the kids go home on weekends, they would be that much closer to the game on a Saturday, so that may help!

But then again, there are years like this were you have 3 Saturday games, all in a row on your schedule.
04-14-2014 03:40 PM
Kansacity88 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU, ILL, & ISU
(04-14-2014 03:34 PM)NIU32 Wrote:  
(04-14-2014 03:32 PM)dekalb222 Wrote:  There are many NIU students that go home to that area. They would come. I believe the million non-students would support the team.

so these million non-students would support the team in naperville but not drive an extra 30 min to dekalb to support them. that 30 min is just wayyyy too much right?

Well.......to be technical......its about 45 minutes just from Aurora considering I commuted my years there. And I'm closer to 88 (Eola entrance onto 88) than Naperville (Naperville Rd. entrance)......But I get your point! 03-thumbsup Rimshot
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2014 03:43 PM by Kansacity88.)
04-14-2014 03:41 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-14-2014 03:36 PM)dekalb222 Wrote:  I bet those schools don't have a bunch of students going home every wknd. NIU has many students going home to that area. I am afraid NIU has hit its limit in the DeKalb area. We have a campus there. I believe this is are only chance at a Big12 invite, one day.

President Baker is going to do what he can to help improve the weekend activity situation. He knows that the weekends at NIU are lacking and hurt overall image of current and prospective students.
04-14-2014 03:42 PM
niu79 Offline
All American

The only open area in the Naperville I can think of would be the northwest corner of I-88 and Route 59 by Ferry Road. After that you'd probably have to move further west of Aurora to find a suitable site. If you have to look west of Aurora, you might as well just build in DeKalb. Unfortunately NIU is not the Cubs who could relocate anywhere in the Chicago area and still draw fans.
04-14-2014 03:47 PM
Advertisement

randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

(04-14-2014 03:38 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(04-14-2014 03:28 PM)HuskieTom51 Wrote:  

Great examples.

I wonder about Temple...and now their rent is going to double.

I know UMASS had a sweet deal but that didn't work out either.

I would bet CFU drew about 5-6 thousand students for the NIU Saturday night game there @ Citrus Bowl. Their new stadium holds 45k, they have had 48, seating for 10k + students it appears. Guessing moving onto campus worked pretty well.
04-14-2014 03:50 PM
Kansacity88 Offline
Special Teams

Okay, lets say this idea grew some legs and the city of Naperville ran with it.....Where in Naperville would you put it? I would assume somewhere close to 88? Or maybe somewhere on the south end? The only feasible locations would be near 88 somewhere near or between Route 59 and Eola (yes they run parallel but since Route 59 is going through this huge makeover and the Eola entrances are fairly new, they'd be the only areas that could handle the extra traffic load).
04-14-2014 03:55 PM
Kansacity88 Offline
Special Teams

(04-14-2014 03:47 PM)niu79 Wrote:  The only open area in the Naperville I can think of would be the northwest corner of I-88 and Route 59 by Ferry Road. After that you'd probably have to move further west of Aurora to find a suitable site. If you have to look west of Aurora, you might as well just build in DeKalb. Unfortunately NIU is not the Cubs who could relocate anywhere in the Chicago area and still draw fans.

Over by the Carmax?? I was thinking there or a little bit up Eola on the southwest corner of Eola and Butterfield. But that would be great business for the Hotel Arista right there on the 59 and 88 corner. Good idea!!
04-14-2014 04:01 PM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
I much prefer an on-campus stadium but I love the out of the box thinking. Here's the best of both worlds. My guess is the only way Naperville/corporations/politicians would get behind such a thing is if it were covered and usable for conventions. There's no way they would do this for NIU to be its anchor tennant 6 days a year. But that's OK because we could play there for a few years while we raise money for a substantial overhaul of Huskie Stadium. We wouldn't have to worry about playing games in it during construction. They wouldn't mind us coming and going since we're not it's main intended purpose anyway.
04-14-2014 04:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.