Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dallas Morning News - Big Time Football Is Back At North Texas
Bookmark and Share
MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
DENTON — I saw some sights at North Texas that I did not expect to see on a Saturday afternoon in April — tailgaters and traffic.

North Texas coach Dan McCarney didn’t expect to see those things either on the day his football team played its spring game. But 5,235 turned out for it.

North Texas isn’t Alabama or Nebraska — but this was certainly a start.

“I couldn’t beg 100 people to come to our spring game in my first year here,” McCarney said. “There were the families of coaches and players, and that was about it. This has to be one of the best crowds they’ve ever had here for a spring game.”

That’s because there’s a different feel, a different atmosphere around North Texas these days.

Football is back in Denton. Big-time football.

The renaissance began in 2009 when the school stuck a shovel in the ground to build Apogee Stadium. Then came the hiring of McCarney in 2011. He had taken his Iowa State teams to bowls as a head coach and won a national title at Florida as an assistant. Then came the step up in competition in 2013 — North Texas’ from the Sun Belt to Conference USA.

All those positives converged last fall to produce a 9-4 season and a bowl victory.

Thus, the change in atmosphere.

READ MORE
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/columni...otball.ece
04-14-2014 07:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
RE: Dallas Morning News - Big Time Football Is Back At North Texas
Good for UNT and for C-USA. I really like having the 4 Texas schools in the conference. It could build into some nice rivalries so it's good to see the support building up at UNT.
04-14-2014 07:46 AM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
That's exciting! But it says, "is back." Was there a time when North Texas was "big time?"
04-14-2014 08:52 AM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
Yep, UNT hired a great coach.
04-14-2014 08:53 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
The author says that UT made a step up in conf, I thought the G5 was all =.
04-14-2014 09:11 AM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
(04-14-2014 08:52 AM)T_Won1 Wrote:  That's exciting! But it says, "is back." Was there a time when North Texas was "big time?"

and that is how it started 03-lmfao

(04-14-2014 08:53 AM)Pony94 Wrote:  Yep, UNT hired a great coach.

you know the funny thing is SMU was in as bad or worse of a down spell before June Jones was hired and he came in and had 1 losing season and then took SMU to 4 straight bowl games and 3 were wins

true he had a drop off last season, but compare the schedules that SMU plays lately to north Texas state and their schedules and then consider what SMU would have done against those schedules

I don't know how you personally feel about JJ and the job he has done, but I find the dichotomy in expectations and reactions is amusing between two programs one of which has had a much better recent record of at least winning and going to bowl games over the last few years

if you read greenhomers.noinfo they will tear JJ to shreds and talk about how terrible he has done at SMU and what a waste he is and how SMU is about to self destruct and probably head down to D1-AA especially now that they are away from the magic "conference with lots of Texas teams"

yet those same clowns canonize a coach that has had a single winning season out of three, still recruits terribly and that one bowl win was not against the types of teams SMU got their bowl wins against and that single winning season was not against near the schedule that SMU has played recently

I suppose even north Texas staters just have higher expectations for SMU than they do for their own program
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2014 09:15 AM by TodgeRodge.)
04-14-2014 09:13 AM
Advertisement

meangreener Offline
1st String

(04-14-2014 08:52 AM)T_Won1 Wrote:  That's exciting! But it says, "is back." Was there a time when North Texas was "big time?"

Gosselin probably remembers the Hayden Fry era and then the Mean Joe Greene era before it. There was a time when we were trying to get into the SWC and were held back by our school's academic reputation and budget. Believe it or not--we had a lot of momentum until the early 80s until we dropped down to 1AA because the school was not willing to fund the program in a better fashion. By then, Fouts had started to deteriorate, as well. It's unfortunate but I'd say we were dangerously to "big time."
04-14-2014 09:21 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers

Back in the 80's UNT averaged >30,000 fans per game before the drop to FCS.

That's not Texas or Alabama big time, but it is impressive nonetheless.

Everything is lining up for UNT to be a quality program at the G5 level.

They have a great coach, a beautiful stadium, 3 in-state conference rivals, a huge student body, and an enormous number of alums in the area. As long as they keep putting together winning seasons, I see no reason why they can't average close to or over 30,000 per game again.
04-14-2014 09:38 AM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

(04-14-2014 09:38 AM)Niner National Wrote:  

They have a great coach, a beautiful stadium, 3 in-state conference rivals, a huge student body, and an enormous number of alums in the area. As long as they keep putting together winning seasons, I see no reason why they can't average close to or over 30,000 per game again.

north Texas state has never averaged over 30K that is simply not true

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college...ontest.ece

The school set a record for total attendance last year, when 113,186 fans were in the stands for six games.

even if north Texas state had played only 4 home games per season sometime in the past if they averaged 30K fans that would still be over 120K fans for the season

and I suppose there will be some that might try and make some claim about a program that was in such poor shape they only played 3 home games, but averaged 30K fans for those three games, but is there anyone that would really be so stupid as to try and actually claim that?

or ignore how pathetic that would be IF it was true

the only thing big time about north Texas state football is their fans ability to try and make their past "accomplishments" into something they are not

also it would be hard to average 30K fans in the 80s when the stajium only held 20K fans 03-phew03-idea
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2014 09:50 AM by TodgeRodge.)
04-14-2014 09:49 AM
meangreener Offline
1st String

(04-14-2014 09:49 AM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  

The school set a record for total attendance last year, when 113,186 fans were in the stands for six games.

even if north Texas state had played only 4 home games per season sometime in the past if they averaged 30K fans that would still be over 120K fans for the season

and I suppose there will be some that might try and make some claim about a program that was in such poor shape they only played 3 home games, but averaged 30K fans for those three games, but is there anyone that would really be so stupid as to try and actually claim that?

the only thing big time about north Texas state football is their fans ability to try and make their past "accomplishments" into something they are not

also it would be hard to average 30K fans in the 80s when the stajium only held 20K fans 03-phew03-idea

We played at Texas Stadium often in the 70s and 80s. Check facts. We actually did average close to 30K when you include the Texas Stadium games but those didn't count. You're a sad, lonely man.

In fact, I'll admit it, we only had 2 home games in 1977 and two technically "neutral games." Both games at Fouts were sellouts and the attendance was around 50K at both Texas Stadium games. That's back what he was likely talking about.

Even then, we sold out most home games in Fry's era, most of the seasons in the 70s. As usual, head meet ass.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2014 10:16 AM by meangreener.)
04-14-2014 09:58 AM
NTTHOR Offline
1st String

I Root For: NORTH TEXAS
i think some of the differences in jj/smu and mac/unt is the money (2 mil for jj, 750 thousand for mac) they are paying each coach and the desire to stay at their schools. jj was publicly trying to leave smu two years ago (?) or something but at the last minute decided to stay due to his inner city ministry (not even sure that existed)

with mac, he is always passionate about north texas...never has tried to leave (that we know of), he shows a true love for this school...i can't say the same about jj, but i'm not a smu stalker either.

i hope last year was just the beginning of north texas football becoming relevant in their conference and area...the attitude is changing on campus and in the city...it just needs to keep growing...
04-14-2014 10:39 AM
Advertisement

TodgeRodge Offline
All American

(04-14-2014 09:58 AM)meangreener Wrote:  

We played at Texas Stadium often in the 70s and 80s. Check facts. We actually did average close to 30K when you include the Texas Stadium games but those didn't count. You're a sad, lonely man.

In fact, I'll admit it, we only had 2 home games in 1977 and two technically "neutral games." Both games at Fouts were sellouts and the attendance was around 50K at both Texas Stadium games. That's back what he was likely talking about.

Even then, we sold out most home games in Fry's era, most of the seasons in the 70s. As usual, head meet ass.

your snaggle toothed self was not even alive in the 70s how in the hell would you know
04-14-2014 10:44 AM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech

Where does this stuff come from? I don't think Fouts Field even held 30K, much less average close to it. I think the original poster is confusing UNT with SMU.

By the way, back in the late 70's, UNT was a beast on the football field. I recall UNT coming to Ruston one year with an AP or UPI poll ranking of #14 in the country. Here's a link that proves North Texas St finished the 1977 season tied with BYU, ranked #16 in the UPI poll.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/polls...ent_e.html

Having said that, I do congratulate UNT for it's recent resurgence, and I look forward to many future CUSA matchups between LA Tech and UNT.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2014 11:01 AM by HogDawg.)
04-14-2014 10:48 AM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
(04-14-2014 10:48 AM)HogDawg Wrote:  

Where does this stuff come from? I don't think Fouts Field even held 30K, much less average close to it. I think the original poster is confusing UNT with SMU.

By the way, back in the late 70's, UNT was a beast on the football field. I recall UNT coming to Ruston one year with an AP or UPI poll ranking of #14 in the country. Here's a link that proves North Texas St finished the 1977 season tied with BYU, ranked #16 in the UPI poll.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/polls...ent_e.html

Having said that, I do congratulate UNT for it's recent resurgence, and I look forward to many future CUSA matchups between LA Tech and UNT.

OK, I haven't followed UNT that closely, but I thought people knew that UNT used to play some games at Texas Stadium. That place was/is big and I think UNT did pack it with people back in the day.
04-14-2014 11:04 AM
meangreener Offline
1st String

(04-14-2014 10:44 AM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  

your snaggle toothed self was not even alive in the 70s how in the hell would you know

Google, you inbred.
04-14-2014 11:08 AM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
That's good news to hear and regardless of Todge's desire to downplay your accomplishments I'm glad that you're in cusa and doing well. I do remember your good football of those days. What's good for cusa teams is good for everyone in it.
04-14-2014 11:16 AM
Advertisement

meangreener Offline
1st String

(04-14-2014 11:16 AM)olliebaba Wrote:  That's good news to hear and regardless of Todge's desire to downplay your accomplishments I'm glad that you're in cusa and doing well. I do remember your good football of those days. What's good for cusa teams is good for everyone in it.

Thanks! We're glad to be in a conference with UTEP as well. Hope y'all stick around with us.
04-14-2014 11:19 AM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
I'm hoping to catch a game at Apogee, but that's if the "Boys" are playing the same weekend. It's too far and we have to make the most out of that trip. 03-wink
04-14-2014 11:29 AM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

(04-14-2014 11:08 AM)meangreener Wrote:  
(04-14-2014 09:38 AM)Niner National Wrote:  Back in the 80's UNT averaged >30,000 fans per game before the drop to FCS.

Google, you inbred.

you know what is great about google

it is not your butt where you pull most of your "facts" from

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&..._dS5CQ_R-g

home attendance

1977 number of games 4

attendance 79,397

average attendance 19,599

my boot meets your ass further lodging your head up in it

perhaps you were misremembering things and it was actually 1970 and before that north Texas state averaged 30,000 fans

or perhaps you are trying to say that 50,000 fans were at one game in Texas Stajium in 1977 and then for the other Texas Stajium game and the Denton games it was an average of 9,799

I mean to get 50,000 for one game you must have been giving away 55 gallon drums of KFC or something

03-nutkick

I enjoyed making you look like a fool as always 03-yawn
04-14-2014 11:32 AM
meangreener Offline
1st String

(04-14-2014 11:32 AM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  
(04-14-2014 11:08 AM)meangreener Wrote:  
(04-14-2014 09:49 AM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  north Texas state has never averaged over 30K that is simply not true

Google, you inbred.

you know what is great about google

it is not your butt where you pull most of your "facts" from

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&..._dS5CQ_R-g

home attendance

1977 number of games 4

attendance 79,397

average attendance 19,599

my boot meets your ass further lodging your head up in it

perhaps you were misremembering things and it was actually 1970 and before that north Texas state averaged 30,000 fans

or perhaps you are trying to say that 50,000 fans were at one game in Texas Stajium in 1977 and then for the other Texas Stajium game and the Denton games it was an average of 9,799

I mean to get 50,000 for one game you must have been giving away 55 gallon drums of KFC or something

03-nutkick

I enjoyed making you look like a fool as always 03-yawn

Home stadium. Texas stadium games were neutral site LMFAO hahaha. I clearly said those should be considered but aren't hahaha. Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, guess that's why you got fired from UNT.

Or are you gonna say UTA filled the stands? Please do.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2014 11:46 AM by meangreener.)
04-14-2014 11:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.