Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hybrid Offer for UConn?
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Hybrid Offer for UConn?
Until Notre Dame goes all in...I think a hybrid offer for UConn might be sound.

Pay them what ND is getting. Offer up 5-6 games a year Football. A rotating home/home.

Going to 16 in hoops has some advantages. Play a 18 game conference schedule in hoops. Put a time limit on the contract. They will be allowed to leave to another conference in 10 years if FB isn't invited.

This has been discussed before but it I think the timing is right.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014 02:34 PM by TexanMark.)
04-11-2014 02:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
RE: Hybrid Offer for UConn?
03-rotfl

T-Mark, that was funny as all get out, bro. That's making the rest of my Friday a lively one.

Quote:Pay them what ND is getting. Offer up 5-6 games a year Football. A rotating home/home.

03-lmfao

Damn, I can't breath now.

Wait.. you weren't serious, right?
03-no
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014 02:47 PM by ecuacc4ever.)
04-11-2014 02:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(04-11-2014 02:33 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Until Notre Dame goes all in...I think a hybrid offer for UConn might be sound.

Pay them what ND is getting. Offer up 5-6 games a year Football. A rotating home/home.

Going to 16 in hoops has some advantages. Play a 18 game conference schedule in hoops. Put a time limit on the contract. They will be allowed to leave to another conference in 10 years if FB isn't invited.

A hybrid offer from the ACC? You've gone mad!
04-11-2014 02:52 PM
Eagle78 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BC
Hybrid Offer for UConn?
(04-11-2014 02:33 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Until Notre Dame goes all in...I think a hybrid offer for UConn might be sound.

Yes...because a hybrid conference worked out sooooo well for the OBE!

Methinks you are just stirring the pot here!
04-11-2014 02:58 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:

I don't think that is a good idea, at all. Affiliate memberships are always a sore subject to the affiliate, particularly when the affiliate doesn't have all the benefits and integrations into the membership that it desires (see the Big East in the 90s with Rutgers, Temple, WVU, and Virginia Tech). Notre Dame is a very different situation in that it actually has full membership, with full voting privileges, subject to the same exit hurdles, and has no issue with any barriers into further conference integration.

Let me put it to you this way. Notre Dame, with only 2-3 ACC-controlled football games per year (the # of ACC's home games in the 5/8ths schedule) for ESPN to broadcast, has reportedly delivered to the ACC $2-3 million more per team per year (or something around $40-45 million total per year), while only sharing in 1/15th of the 20% that makes up the conference's non-football revenue. ND also helped to strengthen the ACC's bowl line-up and will play a major factor in any cable channel launch because the hypothetic channel is going to carry ND content, including football content, as seen by what they are doing on the ACCDN. Their five game schedule is also going to help the conference strength of schedule without going to an unpopular 9th conference game, which has been a repeated point of emphasis for the new football playoff selection committee.

With ND, the ACC is estimated to make, just from ESPN media deal, about ~$20 million per year per team on average over the life of this current contract (or about $280-300 million per year). The entire American Athletic Conference is getting ~$18-19 million per year (or <$2 million per team) with its current ESPN contract, and ESPN is sublicensing a bunch of that content to the CBS Sports Network (15 football games a year and 30 hoops) because they don't even want to show it on ESPNU. How valuable is UConn in this market, a footprint already covered by Syracuse and Boston College?

Can UConn even bring enough for the rest of the members to break even on an affiliate membership in basketball? They'd have to deliver $4 million per year just on hoops (when they're currently getting <$2 million from ESPN for hoops+football, plus maybe a little more with the 12-game American CBS basketball contract) for everyone else in the conference to just stay at the same level financially, and yet there would be no gain for the members. If the ACC wasn't interested in JHU as a lax affiliate, why would it be interested in UConn?

I'm not anti-UConn in any sense than I just don't think their addition makes sense at this point considering football is the primary driver of conference health and security.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014 03:07 PM by CrazyPaco.)
04-11-2014 03:01 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Well we have a hybrid with Notre Dame...you offer one to UConn and you control the rights for an "x" amount of years until you either bring them all in or cast off ND and UConn.
04-11-2014 03:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
UConn should take a hybrid membership from the BE and move their football to the MAC. The MAC has shown they can get an at large bid with 1 loss. That's at least as good as the AAC and doubles the money just on the basketball side and pairs them with their traditional rivals.
04-11-2014 03:19 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

Quote:Pay them what ND is getting. Offer up 5-6 games a year Football. A rotating home/home.

Wait.. just thought of something. The ACC is not paying Notre Dame anything. ESPN is paying the ACC more money because ND is a member.

03-no
04-11-2014 03:23 PM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
04-drinky

03-puke

04-11-2014 03:23 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-11-2014 03:19 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  UConn should take a hybrid membership from the BE and move their football to the MAC. The MAC has shown they can get an at large bid with 1 loss. That's at least as good as the AAC and doubles the money just on the basketball side and pairs them with their traditional rivals.

I think UConn is fine where it is. The American is simply the late 1990s/early 2000s Conference USA with Louisville swapped for UConn. That was a good basketball conference with UL, Cincy, Memphis, Marquette, etc. Where they are in trouble is the football side of the ledger as the financial gulf is going to be huge, but the American is far better than the very regionalized MAC.

I think they're better off staying put for now, particularly with all the exit fee money still coming in.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014 03:25 PM by CrazyPaco.)
04-11-2014 03:24 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

(04-11-2014 03:19 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  UConn should take a hybrid membership from the BE and move their football to the MAC.

This.

Could also likely explains why UMass got the MAC-boot a couple of weeks ago.
04-11-2014 03:24 PM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

UConn would help in the battle for NYC. Cuse/BC/ND/Pitt/UConn vs Rutgers/MD/Michigan/tOSU/Penn State
04-11-2014 03:37 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-11-2014 03:37 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  UConn would help in the battle for NYC. Cuse/BC/ND/Pitt/UConn vs Rutgers/MD/Michigan/tOSU/Penn State

Ok, that's mostly intangible, particularly since the ACC has yet to have a cable network. What cost is that worth? Do you see ESPN paying the ACC at least an additional $4 million a year just for UConn's content that they already own? The ACC would likely be better served paying for some billboards in Times Square.

And who wants on the UConn football rotation? Not anyone south of the Mason Dixon and not BC. Really, not Pitt either. They aren't a draw.
04-11-2014 03:56 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
04-11-2014 04:14 PM
Eagle78 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BC
Hybrid Offer for UConn?
(04-11-2014 03:18 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Well we have a hybrid with Notre Dame...you offer one to UConn and you control the rights for an "x" amount of years until you either bring them all in or cast off ND and UConn.

ND is the one school you DO make an exception for, IMO. It should be all sports for everyone else. If a school is significantly accretive for the ACC, the they can be considered. If not ( as, IMO, is the case here), you don't do it.

Last I checked, the ACC was not a charity.
04-11-2014 04:32 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(04-11-2014 04:32 PM)Eagle78 Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 03:18 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Well we have a hybrid with Notre Dame...you offer one to UConn and you control the rights for an "x" amount of years until you either bring them all in or cast off ND and UConn.

ND is the one school you DO make an exception for, IMO. It should be all sports for everyone else. If a school is significantly accretive for the ACC, the they can be considered. If not ( as, IMO, is the case here), you don't do it.

Last I checked, the ACC was not a charity.

^^^ THIS ^^^
If you said give a hybrid deal to Texas, then we'd have a discussion. For UConn, no way.
You want to do something with UConn? Schedule them OOC in basketball...
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014 04:44 PM by Hokie Mark.)
04-11-2014 04:44 PM
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
I'm not in favor of any (additional) hybrids. If we did, I'd rather do the Navy/Georgetown hybrid.

Add a scheduling agreement with Navy to play 3-4 ACC football games (to round out the ND 5), possibly some other sports. Navy would not be eligible for any ACC championships. Add Georgetown as a full member for everything except football. 14 FB, 16 other. This gets us back into the DC/MD area.
04-11-2014 04:52 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Ok that settles it, I see everyone is for it. 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014 05:05 PM by TexanMark.)
04-11-2014 05:00 PM
MKPitt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Pitt
(04-11-2014 05:00 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Ok so I see everyone is for it. 03-lmfao

Well, if I had my way UConn and WVU would be full members as 15 and 16 but unfortunately that does not seem likely.
04-11-2014 05:06 PM
Chris02M Offline
1st String

I Root For: syracuse
id rather not invite UConn to big boy table,even if its a partial seat until cuse is back to being a yearly 8-10 win team in football which hopefully will be by 2016
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014 07:48 PM by Chris02M.)
04-11-2014 07:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.