Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Meet the Bag Man: How to Buy College Football Players
NicevilleWRC Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls
Meet the Bag Man: How to Buy College Football Players
Quote:The Bag Man excuses himself to make a call outside, on his "other phone," to arrange delivery of $500 in cash to a visiting recruit. The player is rated No. 1 at his position nationally and on his way into town. We're sitting in a popular restaurant near campus almost a week before National Signing Day, talking about how to arrange cash payments for amateur athletes.

And it goes on from there. Most of it isn't very surprising or new, but it's remarkable to hear how candid the first person account is.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football...-interview

Of course, this never occurred to me before:

Quote:College majors like Exercise Science and General Education have long been assailed by critics as crip-course degrees, but shadow boosters see them as a vital way to perpetuate the cycle. If a player finishes out his eligibility and has no feasible future in the pros, he might return home and become a nearby high school coach. It doesn't matter if it's junior high or seven-on-seven camps; each means a new brand ambassador for the program.
04-10-2014 02:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
RE: Meet the Bag Man: How to Buy College Football Players
I read this article a couple of hours ago. Fantastic.
04-10-2014 02:49 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
It also never occurred to me that watching a major sporting event in a public place, rather than in the privacy of one's room, is considered a badge of poverty. But apparently it is at one school:

Quote:"Last week I got a call. We've got this JUCO transfer that had just got here. And he's country poor. The [graduate assistant] calls me and tells me he's watching the AFC Championship Game alone in the lobby of the Union because he doesn't have a TV."

On the other hand, I like the use of the expression "country poor" -- I haven't heard that one in quite a while.
04-10-2014 03:51 PM
Advertisement

greyowl72 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
Depressing. In a big way. It just puts the details to a story we all have imagined for decades.

The SMU football debacle didn't deter these guys. It just provided a better play book.

So, if we have any hope or dream of playing football at the next level... With the Big 5 Conferences... We've got to develop our bag men. At least that's what the story tells me.

But, wait a minute... Maybe we do have bag men already! If we do, perhaps they need to do a better job!

It's really depressing to me. We all know it goes on. This type of story just proves it.
04-10-2014 04:52 PM
wiessguy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Da Owls
Just finished the article. Pure gold. It's a shame that people with this type of disposable cash don't put it to better use through charitable giving, etc. I get the passion, but this is truly depressing.
04-12-2014 01:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.